Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 0

Re: Everybody needs to calm down.

Quote Originally Posted by Dryburn View Post
    Maybe "calming down" is part of the problem. We have been too complacent as fans, so we get what we have now. A lot of ISU fans have put a lot of their hard-earned money into support of this program, not to mention a lot of emotional support. In return, we seem to have gotten a program that struggles for 6 wins a year, then is satisfied with that, and in its fifth year seems to be rebuilding, yet there is apparently absolutely no depth on either side of the ball. The defense can't tackle, and the offense can't seem to put 4 good plays in a row together........ever.

I don't think calming down is the answer. I think just the opposite may be what is needed, from the fans, the Athletic Director, and in particular from the head coach.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 154
    Given: 124

Quote Originally Posted by InCytful View Post
    All kidding aside though, I did see some positives in this steaming pile of a game. Nealy had a decent game. Tribune was playing well most of the time. D had some letdowns in the first 3 quarters but was playing a good game overall until turnovers put them behind too far in the 4th. Some of the younger guys looked decent at times.
    The positives from the game appear to be worth a touchdown.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Addict
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 101
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by BBHMagic View Post
    Okay that sounds cool and great and everything, but as fans what are you actually suggesting we do. TP the coaches houses?
    Well, first of all, don't ask other fans to "calm down".

Then, however we can, let it be known that this is not acceptable, and that more is expected. If we don't do something to let that be known, how is anything going to change? I'm not saying we should quit making donations, or quit buying tickets because that only hurts the program. Yet, if things don't change........that is exactly what is going to happen naturally. Tickets won't get bought, donations won't be made, facilities won't be built, coaches salaries won't be as high..........and ISU will be back in the dumps.

However each of us thinks we can best express our frustration needs to be done. It appeared this program was making progress. Record ticket sales. New facilities. Not top salaries, but good salaries for coaches. Steady 50,000+ crowds. Great followings to mediocre bowls. The fans have more than done their part. They deserve a lot more than a 1-7 record and embarrassing conference losses in the 5th year of a program. We have to let the right people know this is not good enough in whatever way each of us can.

But for God's sake, don't ask people to calm down and then try and defend the ****** performances we have seen on the field lately.

-Be kind. That is something you will never regret. You will never say to yourself when you are old "I wish I was not good to that person".

Walk On
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 475
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

I some what agree with you, we knew going into the season, we were going to struggle and be young and inexperienced. But I have to make a valid point....
    Sometimes your best defense is your offense. Our offense sucks bad! You can argue about injuries, Young, new o-line coach.
    Well, all these kids are supposed to be D-1 players. their shouldn't be that big of a drop off. Every year we and everyone else needs to replace seniors or injuries, the kids should step up or we need to get better recruits.
    This pistol crap is killing me, take some snaps under center, I feel that our rb's can hit the hole a little faster and maybe get more yards. I not a fb coach at all, but the crap isn't working so do something!
    If coach K was or is so great with this pistol..... then why isnt he running the offense, why isn't our line any better?

Now my positive thoughts, we have to be better next year, we will be a year older, stronger, experienced.... I understand that the injuries, loss in transfers, and the loss of some stud seniors last year. I really think we will be better! Just look at our scores this year, just like Woody said, we are very close to flipping our record. played horrible against UNI, Iowa, Texas, Tech and we only lost by a touchdown or less to all of them. Now the last 3 games, ouch, we got whipped!! but we very easily could be 5-3 right now.

Yes our D has given up a lot of points the last 3 weeks...... SO KEEP THEM OFF THE FIELD!!!!! our offense is 10 times worse!!! we need to move the chains and SCORE!!! Give our D a rest!!! We need to do something offensively NOW, Get rid of Messingham!!!

I think we need a new QB and off coordinator!
    I think our WR's should be better, they dont get open enough.
    I am questioning our DB's a bit to, to many PI penalties.
    QB play, I am not sure who is better, but I do like Sam! But Grant isn't bad either.
    New coaches in these areas???

anybody agree with me???

Rookie
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 488
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 16

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneErik View Post
    So, we shouldn't question the coaching staff over:
    1. recruiting misses
    2. lack of depth
    3. inability to replace departed players, even though every single team in college football has to do that
    4. putting guys in position to be effective.
    5. whatever else you want to add to the list

I'll pass. When the team is this bad, there are a lot of unpleasant questions. Failure brings that sort of things, and failure is all we've got this year.
    Perhaps people are forgetting or perhaps they don't have the knowledge that a big part of the reason that we had recruiting misses and lack of depth in the current classes that should be "making a difference" on this years squad is because the Big XII went through a total period of hell in conference realignment. There was a good deal of time that Iowa State wasn't sure there would even be a Big XII, or if ISU would even be in a BCS conference. Funny how kids might back away from us when EVERYONE is negatively recruiting against that. Those classes are where you are seeing the "misses". Since then the classes have been way more talented and you are now seeing the RS freshman on the field, even some true freshman (Tribune). The class that is red shirting this year and the upcoming class are much stronger and talented.

All-Star
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 753
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneYoda View Post
    You can't tell me what to do.
    Agreed. I'm drunk and I'm mad. And I'm going to make sure every man, woman, or child that gets in my path knows it.

a/s/l?

Addict
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 534
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 21

Always good to have that one guy who is the master of his emotions and can calm the internet down. Thanks OP, I was on the edge until you posted this. I realize the error of my ways now.

All-Star
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 897
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 18

I think Stretchclone makes some good points. ISU Football was not in good standing with the BCS due to the collapse of the B12 and other conferences attempting to sign up the "elite". Our recruiting was hampered and now if we have an injury the "next guy in" is not the quality of the starter. We just dont have any depth and when there is an injury it magnifies our deficiencies.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 1,194
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 4

Quote Originally Posted by atlantacyclone View Post
    To clarify, even with a slow start today our D could have really used some help from the O. Those interceptions didn't help. In the 4th quarter KSU only had 20 points on the board despite our O doing nothing. You really can't ask for anything more...
    This is the best post I have seen today. In the 4th quarter, KSU had 20 points. Think about that. The offense gave the defense nothing, zero, nada, nothing all day. If they had done ANYTHING at all, they still would have been in the game in the 4th quarter. This isn't the 85 Bears defense, you can't expect shutouts. Considering what they are asked to do, isn't doing that bad. Baylor and OSU are two of the best offenses in the country, you can only ask so much of them.

Also, it is hard to play defense for an offense like this, going in, you know you have no chance. Wears on you after awhile.

Addict
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 32

Quote Originally Posted by CyStalker View Post
    Perhaps people are forgetting or perhaps they don't have the knowledge that a big part of the reason that we had recruiting misses and lack of depth in the current classes that should be "making a difference" on this years squad is because the Big XII went through a total period of hell in conference realignment. There was a good deal of time that Iowa State wasn't sure there would even be a Big XII, or if ISU would even be in a BCS conference. Funny how kids might back away from us when EVERYONE is negatively recruiting against that. Those classes are where you are seeing the "misses".
    Really? Baylor was going to be out in the cold just like us. It really hurt them...

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 507
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyatheart View Post
    This is the best post I have seen today. In the 4th quarter, KSU had 20 points. Think about that. The offense gave the defense nothing, zero, nada, nothing all day. If they had done ANYTHING at all, they still would have been in the game in the 4th quarter. This isn't the 85 Bears defense, you can't expect shutouts. Considering what they are asked to do, isn't doing that bad. Baylor and OSU are two of the best offenses in the country, you can only ask so much of them.

Also, it is hard to play defense for an offense like this, going in, you know you have no chance. Wears on you after awhile.
    Agree. One side of the ball just flat does not show up. If we have even a small bit of offense, that was a 17-7, maybe 17-10 game at half, with a chance to make adjustments and do something in the third quarter. I shut the game off at half because I knew we were done. The O had nothing AGAIN. I am not blaming players, especially Sam. I couldn't believe he got yanked. Way to destroy his confidence. The lack of preparation, in game coaching, play calling tempo, leadership all combined against what the defense was doing. Yes the D had lapses. But the O was one giant lapse and it all leads back to the coaching staff. It is just painful to watch.

Walk On
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 475
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

We have to agree its going to be a painful somewhat long process to get us near the top. We shouldn't settle for mediocrity, but lets be realistic here, we can be mad at Sam, but I think our offensive coaches need to help him out. I think he has potential to be pretty good, but he needs help, our wr's need to get their butts open! Our defense cant play the whole game!!! AND IM NOT TALKING ABOUT THOSE STUPID BUBBLE/TUNNEL SCREENS IN THE FLAT!!! take some shots! Have you ever noticed our receivers never catch the ball on the move, they are always stopped when the catch the ball.
    I would like to see Messingham and maybe a few coaches gone! We can ask for a offensive master, Herman was here and is now a stud at Ohio State. We need all the pieces of the puzzle! Its gonna take a little bit of time folks!!!!
    We need a Juco LB and a Juco safety to come in and provide immediate help on defense. I think we got playmakers on the offensive side, just need them developed and put in situations to be successful.
    Did I say Messingham should be gone soon???

Pro
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 67
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 14

I can only imagine what will happen to this board if we are the team that gives Kansas its first conference win in 2+ years. Will CF spontaneously combust?

Addict
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 1,543
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15

I think that we're seeing the perfect storm of inexperience, injuries and recruiting misses. Things will be better next year. Only question is how much better.

Addict
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 1,543
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15

Quote Originally Posted by ISpyCy View Post
    I can only imagine what will happen to this board if we are the team that gives Kansas its first conference win in 2+ years. Will CF spontaneously combust?
    Get ready for it...it's not if, but when. We're going to see ISU lose to two programs on their way to firing their coaches. And I'd be surprised if ISU is within 2 TDs of either. We haven't hit rock bottom yet.