Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 832
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Re: watched most of dan's ntsu game last night ...

Quote Originally Posted by surly View Post
    i'm not trolling. i was making an observation(s) about a coach i admire and who used to drive us nuts. i'll leave it at that.
    You bet, all of those close games dan's team played against you...jesus, the one "good" team he had lost 56-10 to you, Seneca lost 45-3 and 50 whatever to 7. I am sure he drove you "crazy."

Whatever, now I know you are trolling

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 58
    Given: 353

don't mean this to be anything but an observation that he's still a very solid coach. his team last night played tough as nails, solid defense, and just like i remember yours when he was in ames. so, wth was he let go?

High quality troll here. I'm not convinced the OP was intentionally trolling but for those questioning how to troll, here is a perfect example.

While on live TV, Ford used a vulgar term to describe a private part of the female anatomy, adding that he was “happily married” and “got more than enough to eat at home.”

Pro
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 98
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

So...

Dmac>>CPR??

I thik that is the take away right?

Starter
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 933
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

The grass is always greener...

Pro
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cobraclone71 View Post
    The grass is always greener...
    When you play in a mid major conference with all of the built in recruiting advantages that a school in The Metroplex has.

Good for dan he got them to a bowl. But, seriously, this is the nonsense we have to deal with. He was 56-85 here, 56-85, 56-85, I will say it again, 56-85.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 1,049
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 7

Dan had some good assistants that left for better jobs and he replaced them with guys that where not D-1 coaches, and then did not get rid of them when it was clear they where not capable. Hopefully CPR doesn't have the same problem.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 450
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 56

i'm not trolling. i was making an observation(s) about a coach i admire and who used to drive us nuts. i'll leave it at that.
    OK, so now leave.

Pro
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 880
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 39

04 and 05 recruiting classes were major misses and racked with attrition. Left a bare cupboard by 2006. Pollard knew bad times were ahead with a skimpy roster. The program which had failed to reach that next level was running on fumes by the end of 2006.

Pollard couldn't resell 4-8 to the fanbase with increased ticket prices and donation amounts. Chizik was Pollard's stepping stone.

I see a lot of outsiders claim Dan was fired for 1 bad season, but Dan was set up to have numerous bad years had he stayed.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 57.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 153
    Given: 124

Quote Originally Posted by mikem View Post
    Nice troll

There is NO way you watched all of these Dan the man teams and made that statement.

You don't finish last in the confernce 6 times in 12 years, including years 9 and 12, if that were truly the case.
    We may be trending this way. When TCU and WVU get their fuill money and have recruiting under way, they may become a much tougher out. If Bill Snyder can beat Bobby Bowden, KSU may be a tough out. KU can only get better, right folks? We may get better as a team, but get nowhere in an improved conference. Three wins in conference may be standard for us even with a good team. That means, our dreams will depend on sweeping the non conference season.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 282
    Given: 185

don't mean this to be anything but an observation that he's still a very solid coach. his team last night played tough as nails, solid defense, and just like i remember yours when he was in ames. so, wth was he let go?

Dan McCarney was and still is one of the most divisive subjects amongst Cyclone fans.

First and foremost he's from Hayden Fry's coaching tree and that is a BIG negative amongst Cyclone fans, considering how badly the Iowa Hawkeyes owned ISU during his tenure. He admittedly made it his mission to destroy ISU, as he was of the opinion that the state of Iowa wasn't big enough to support two major college football programs. Granted, ISU didn't put up much of a fight to stop this, but there it is. Further, Fry warned McCarney not to take the job as he was of the opinion that nobody could ever win in Ames.

Second, he had a VERY slow start that progressively got worse in his first 3 years. 6 wins total, including the nation's longest losing streak of 18 games between '96 and '97 - and this was when ISU had the best running back in the nation in Troy Davis. The guy put up 2000 yard seasons but had no wins to show for it. After '98 and '99, 3 and 4 win seasons respectively, a LOT of ISU fans were ready to move on. Essentially, 2000's 9-3 season and first bowl win in ISU's history saved McCarney's arse the first time around.

The events and failures of 2002-'06 were what really did him in, even with the successes of those years. In 2002 the team started out 6-1, rated as high as 9th, the one loss being to Florida State on a very controversial missed TD call in the final seconds where Seneca Wallace dived over the pylon but was ruled out of bounds. We finished the season 1-6, barely qualifying for a bowl game.

2003 is a season most Cyclone fans would like to never discuss, as our only wins were against Ohio and Northern Iowa (which, to their credit, was something that this year's team couldn't even pull off), but they finished the season losing 10 straight, 9 of the 10 blowouts.

2004 was surprisingly better, as we rebounded from the cluster-**** of 2003 for a winning season, bowl game, and split of the Big 12 North title. However, just one more win, against either Colorado or Missouri and we win the North outright. A lot of fans started warming the seat after this season, although I'm one of the few that thinks he receives a little too much heat for this season, considering the youth of the team and just how bad 2003 was.

2005 was much like 2002 and was the beginning of the end of McCarney's tenure. It was a season where ISU could have very easily finished 10-1 or 11-0 if it played with the initiative to finish off opponents instead of playing not to lose every time they got a two score lead. At this point it was becoming very clear that McCarney was overly loyal to his assistant coaches and wouldn't fire them for not getting the job done. And the fan base was very split at this point.

2006 was supposed to be another good season for ISU. Many preseason publications were expecting another winning season for ISU, some of them calling for 8 wins and competing for the Big 12 North title again. Instead, we struggled to beat Toledo, UNLV (which resulted in one of the greatest rant failures of all time, so I guess this season had one thing going for it), and Northern Iowa. We lost the rest of the games on our schedule, most of them blowouts, except for Missouri, which was essentially McCarney's "send-off" game. By the end of the season even McCarney's most ardent supporters (including yours truly) knew it was time for a change.

There are some ISU fans that never got behind McCarney, were always looking for a reason for him to be fired, can never credit him for accomplishing him anything, justifying their stance with "the only reason why we went to as many bowl games as we did is because there are too many bowl games" and "he has the most losses in ISU history" (never mind the fact that he also has the most wins in school history and only one ISU coach has a winning record in the modern era) and he placed too much of an emphasis on winning the Iowa game.

Conversely, you have some fans that think McCarney got a raw deal and never should have been fired.

As always, the truth lies in the middle. The program was a dumpster fire when McCarney took over, and it had to get worse before it got better. McCarney saw successes this program had never seen before him, and, quite frankly, proved his mentor wrong - it IS possible to win at Iowa State. However, for all he did to drag this program out of the cesspool and give it a certain amount of respectability, he was never able to bring this program above mediocrity, even during a period when the Big 12 North was at its lowest and ISU just had to reach out and take it. Much of this was his own doing - coaching conservatively when stepping on the throat of opponents was what was called for, and being overly loyal to assistants who weren't getting the job done.

None of us are under the delusion that ISU is an easy place to win, because it is one of the most challenging jobs in America. However, just because it is a difficult job doesn't mean it's impossible to win here, nor does it mean that us fans shouldn't have expectations of success. Coaches have won at places like Washington St, Oregon St, Oklahoma St, Kansas, Missouri, and Kansas St, where it's also difficult to win. Iowa was an even worse program than Iowa State before Hayden Fry took over. What McCarney was able to do, as well as the sales job to the fans that AD Jamie Pollard accomplished, raised the expectations of the fans. Unfortunately, McCarney wasn't able to meet these raised expectations and it cost him his job.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Pro
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 336
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 62

Quote Originally Posted by Cyballzz View Post
    Big XII > Conference USA
    e
    maybe we need to join that conference

Addict
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 3

We can't possibly be this lucky. You'll be back with some stupid observation soon enough.

RIP Janice
    b. April 2012 d. April 2012
    9 posts
    May perpetual light shine upon him.

All-Star
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 624
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Dan never seemed to recovery after his first group of assistants left. People got bored with middle of the road teams that never pulled upsets at home. The recruiting toward the end was terrible because the players either failed out, got arrested, or never made it to campus. The excitement was gone, and soon he was also. He still the best coach we have had since Earl Bruce. He certianly started with considerably less than Chizik and especially CPR did.

All-Star
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 530
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 98
    Given: 374

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    We may be trending this way. When TCU and WVU get their fuill money and have recruiting under way, they may become a much tougher out. If Bill Snyder can beat Bobby Bowden, KSU may be a tough out. KU can only get better, right folks? We may get better as a team, but get nowhere in an improved conference. Three wins in conference may be standard for us even with a good team. That means, our dreams will depend on sweeping the non conference season.
    This is encouraging. FWIW, I 100% agree.

Pro
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Omaha Cy View Post
    04 and 05 recruiting classes were major misses and racked with attrition. Left a bare cupboard by 2006. Pollard knew bad times were ahead with a skimpy roster. The program which had failed to reach that next level was running on fumes by the end of 2006.

Pollard couldn't resell 4-8 to the fanbase with increased ticket prices and donation amounts. Chizik was Pollard's stepping stone.

I see a lot of outsiders claim Dan was fired for 1 bad season, but Dan was set up to have numerous bad years had he stayed.

People forget when chiz got here, how little talent there was in the program. I mean dan always used walden as an excuse for losing games, and how he inherited 15-20 football players when he got here. He left fewer than that.

Don't hate the man, but the periodic attempts by those that think enough time has passed that people forget what it really looked like, to try to make him into something he wasn't is sad.

He did not leave a rebuild. He left a build, period. Add a coaching change two years later, and all of the realignment talk that crippled two classes of recruits, and this is where we are.

Now, I will let the trolling continue, and the "fans" with their shovels continue to bury this coach and his staff.