Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 269
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Just Some Thoughts and a Question on the Football Season.

Here would be some of your recruiting techniques - offer all the 4 and 5 star kids - get none. Wonder what happened. Amazing the lack of perspective on what Rhoads and company is trying to pull us out of. DECADES of average to below average football. It is a MASSIVE work in progress.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 474
    Given: 254

Quote Originally Posted by Frak View Post
    I don't know about crappy. But he's pretty old. He was coaching Barry Sanders back at OSU and before that Eric Dickerson at SMU. He does have TX ties (one of the few on the staff with Wells gone). That said, recruiting is kind of a young man's game. He's sitting at a position (RB coach) that is supposed to be for prime recruiters. Yet you hardly ever hear about him in recruit interviews.

My opinion is that you keep the Burnhams (elevate Shane to Co-DC with Wally), Douglas and Klenakis. CPR can keep Mess if he agrees to move back to WR coach. I would probably fire Bray, Bleil, Sturdy, Pope. Unfortunately, someone needs to take the blame for 1-11. Get some new coaches in with a little fire for the recruiting road. I'd also look VERY closely at what McKnight is doing.
    I'm not sure I could imagine a better recruiting pitch than that (and our stable of running backs seems to prove this).

Legend
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 106
    Given: 332

Quote Originally Posted by mt85 View Post
    My thoughts...

We need to cleanse the fanbase.

-We need to clear out all the whiners that panic in the face of adversity.

-We need to clear out all the light thinkers that believe a couple of morons selling recruiting rankings can accurately grade hundreds of thousands of football players relative to each other.

- We need to free ourselves of the "enlightened" ones that believe watching a two minute highlight tapes is all that is necessary to evaluate a recruit.

Then, we need should recruit fans that will acknowledge they've never been a BCS head football coach, and that they should leave the management of the program up to the one that is being paid to do that job.
    This again? I get it... you want a bunch of sunshine pumpers who don't mind watching the Clones get rolled on the field every Saturday, who take it all in with a smile and a "Next year is our year" attitude, who blindly follows the staff who tells them that this is the most speed and talent that ISU has ever put on the field but on Saturdays they get run out of the stadium, etc... We don't want or need fans who are passionate about Cyclone Football. Who needs fans that are so devoted to the Clones they take the time to seek out information on ISU recruits, watch their videos, check the recruiting services, etc... ? We don't want them and we don't need them. Right? Who needs fans that are so devoted to the Clones that each time they lose a game it rips their heart out and pisses them off? We don't want them and we don't need them. Right? We need more fans that don't understand the game or really have that much passion for the game. We need more fans that lack the passion to stick around when times are tough... because we don't have room in the fanbase for the diehard fans that have stuck with the program through thick and thin. We need more "Hawk" style fans... the ones that show up when things are good but disappear when things are bad. I agree this fanbase needs to be cleansed but not of the diehard fans, not of the passionate fans, and not of the interested fans. It needs to be cleansed of the enablers. The folks who think that what we are seeing on the field this year is acceptable because... "ISU is making progress" or "Next year will be better".

Is it acceptable that guys like Jacques Washington, Shontrelle Johnson, Deon Broomfield, Jeff Woody, and the rest of the seniors on this team get to spend their final season at ISU getting embarrassed because "Next year the Clones will be better"? Not to me it isn't and not to a lot of the "whiners who panic in the face of adversity" it isn't. I am ****** about this season! I am disappointed for those kids because they have worked their ***** off in their time at ISU and their senior year which should be the greatest season of their college careers is going down in flames. They deserved better then this. This isn't just some throw away season that doesn't matter! Every season matters... Well at least it matters to a lot of the fans you want "cleansed" out of the fanbase.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 53.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 149
    Given: 121

I don't know about crappy. But he's pretty old. He was coaching Barry Sanders back at OSU and before that Eric Dickerson at SMU. He does have TX ties (one of the few on the staff with Wells gone). That said, recruiting is kind of a young man's game. He's sitting at a position (RB coach) that is supposed to be for prime recruiters. Yet you hardly ever hear about him in recruit interviews.

My opinion is that you keep the Burnhams (elevate Shane to Co-DC with Wally), Douglas and Klenakis. CPR can keep Mess if he agrees to move back to WR coach. I would probably fire Bray, Bleil, Sturdy, Pope. Unfortunately, someone needs to take the blame for 1-11. Get some new coaches in with a little fire for the recruiting road. I'd also look VERY closely at what McKnight is doing.
    My guess is Wally and Shane are our best assistant recruiters. Lose them and the Florida guys will not come as often our way.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by mt85 View Post
    My thoughts...

We need to cleanse the fanbase.

-We need to clear out all the whiners that panic in the face of adversity.

-We need to clear out all the light thinkers that believe a couple of morons selling recruiting rankings can accurately grade hundreds of thousands of football players relative to each other.

- We need to free ourselves of the "enlightened" ones that believe watching a two minute highlight tapes is all that is necessary to evaluate a recruit.

Then, we need should recruit fans that will acknowledge they've never been a BCS head football coach, and that they should leave the management of the program up to the one that is being paid to do that job.
    That is so nineties....

All-Star
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 106
    Overall activity: 36.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 287
    Given: 75

There are way too many useless threads being started on the football page.

"Tonight's forecast... a freeze is coming." - Matty Ice
    #cyclONEnation

Recruit
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 42
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Anyone thing the Pelini's would be interested in a position coaching job here? Bo's gonna be fired at the end of this year. Dude won a NC so we know he's got the pedigree.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 125
    Given: 9

So someone has to take blame for 1-11 but you are keeping both your coordinators on the staff? That's ridiculous. Why are we firing Sturdy? If we are firing Bray, why aren't we firing Shane? It looks like you just picked names out of hat to keep and get rid of.

I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

Or so I have read.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 507
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonestate78 View Post
    It needs to be cleansed of the enablers. The folks who think that what we are seeing on the field this year is acceptable because... "ISU is making progress" or "Next year will be better".

Is it acceptable that guys like Jacques Washington, Shontrelle Johnson, Deon Broomfield, Jeff Woody, and the rest of the seniors on this team get to spend their final season at ISU getting embarrassed because "Next year the Clones will be better"? Not to me it isn't and not to a lot of the "whiners who panic in the face of adversity" it isn't. I am ****** about this season! I am disappointed for those kids because they have worked their ***** off in their time at ISU and their senior year which should be the greatest season of their college careers is going down in flames. They deserved better then this. This isn't just some throw away season that doesn't matter! Every season matters... Well at least it matters to a lot of the fans you want "cleansed" out of the fanbase.
    I was going to merely offer a like, but have to salute you for a very strong take. I don't want to 'cleanse' anyone, but this term does resonate with me when it comes to results measurement among some of our friends here. I will repeat, ISU needs all the fans it can get. You are all great people. Everyone needs to stay. No one (from the fanbase)needs to go!

Addict
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,566
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by Tre4ISU View Post
    So someone has to take blame for 1-11 but you are keeping both your coordinators on the staff? That's ridiculous. Why are we firing Sturdy? If we are firing Bray, why aren't we firing Shane? It looks like you just picked names out of hat to keep and get rid of.
    I think that Wally has proven himself enough to know that if he has any talent and an O that will at least score a little and get some first downs, he can put out a decent defense. Shane is probably our best recruiter. I believe that Mess is a decent WR or TE coach, but not a good QB coach or OC. Klenakis it's probably too soon to judge and injuries have really hurt his unit. I'm also of the opinion that Douglas does a good job with what he has to work with. I do think that Sturdy has done a good job with the WRs this year, although I fail to see what Coleman did to win a starting job. IMO Bleil's, Bray's and Pope's groups have underperformed and you hardly ever hear their names mentioned with recruits. I'm not going to call for people's jobs, but if CPR makes no changes after this year, they're going to have a hard time selling tickets.

Addict
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 152
    Given: 29

Quote Originally Posted by VanderHuge View Post
    Anyone thing the Pelini's would be interested in a position coaching job here? Bo's gonna be fired at the end of this year. Dude won a NC so we know he's got the pedigree.
    my thoughts on either of the Pelini's at ISU:

Starter
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 792
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonepride View Post
    I'm not sure I could imagine a better recruiting pitch than that (and our stable of running backs seems to prove this).
    I understand where you're coming from. At the same time, how much do the names Dickerson and Sanders resonate with 17 and 18 year olds? Honest question. I'm 32, and Dickerson is little more than a name to me. I remember Barry quite vividly, but a high school kid certainly doesn't.

I'm not calling for Pope to be fired, but I would question his RB rotation. From what I've heard, Pope has as much or more say in who takes the field on any given play than the OC. And, if that's the case, there has certainly been some questionable RB rotations over the past couple of years, injuries aside.

An deep analysis of the entire staff is very much needed this off-season.

All-Star
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 254
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by psychlone99 View Post
    I understand where you're coming from. At the same time, how much do the names Dickerson and Sanders resonate with 17 and 18 year olds? Honest question. I'm 32, and Dickerson is little more than a name to me. I remember Barry quite vividly, but a high school kid certainly doesn't.

I'm not calling for Pope to be fired, but I would question his RB rotation. From what I've heard, Pope has as much or more say in who takes the field on any given play than the OC. And, if that's the case, there has certainly been some questionable RB rotations over the past couple of years, injuries aside.

An deep analysis of the entire staff is very much needed this off-season.
    I agree with you that most high schoolers don't relate to Dickerson or Sanders. Most recruits would relate more to Adrian Peterson, Brandon Jacobs, maybe Emmitt Smith, Faulk, and Bush.

I disagree that the RB coach has full control of the rotations. Most rotations are based in schemes and the gameplan. That's a "group discussion" in coaches meetings on Sundays but Mess and Rhoads makes the final gameplan decisions. What he does is make sure that guys are being rotated at the appropriate time so he must stay in tune with what's being called so the right personnel groupings will be in the game. Also, they could agree that SJ, AW, and DV gives them the same thing for a series if plays. So, you could see either guy in the game while running the same plays. You may only see option with DV and Woody, for example. Pope has input but those are ultimately Mess and Rhoads decisions or whoever the run game coordinator may be (usually the OL coach).

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Tre4ISU View Post
    Shane is a Florida recruiter.