Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 6

Talk of talent and recruiting

So everyone is drinking the "We have young talent, and these recruiting classes are awesome"

Does anyone not realize that we have almost been dead last in recruiting in the big 12 the last 3 years?

2011: 9th (2.65 star average)
    2012: 10th (2.76 star average)
    2013: 9th (2.5 star average)
    *Notable: we have one 4 star commit in 2013 in Lazard, thats it.

Dig further, Kansas state has been about the same in their recruiting right near the bottom with us and Kansas. However, K-state was one game away from a national title last year and was solid the previous 2 years. So really, can we blame it on recruiting alone?

I blame coaching. K-State developed their players, we don't. Have we had any players really improve that greatly during 4 years outside of Knott and Klein? Iowa State is a good place to go if you want your QB dreams to die instantly or be a mediocre RB behind a crap offense.

Defense was salty, credit Burnam and Rhoads defensive backgrounds. However, offense has shown ZERO improvement. This has been discussed I know but quit using the we are just young right now and recruiting is improving. Its not improving were still dead last almost every year. If you expect us to get above 3 wins in conference with dead last recruiting classes and poor coaching we won't.

Sorry to crap in everyone cheerios but its time to be realistic. The problem isn't recruiting alone or being young, its that we have an incompetent coaching staff. The upset wins are flukes, not a indication of great coaching. Play Nebraska at Nebraska 10 times and we lose 9 of them, play OSU 10 times and I bet they whip us 7-8 times. Just saying, I'm slowly losing faith in this staff. Offseason will be huge. I will continue to donate and go to games but if we don't win 6-8 games next year, the money I spend on football will be going straight to the basketball program. /Rant

All-Star
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,020
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 592

Re: Talk of talent and recruiting

Give it a rest.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 116
    Given: 21

STARZ!!!!!

All-Star
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 411
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

This no talent team you describe went toe to toe with Texas who will likely win the big 12. Injuries are part of football but you can't replace young players with level younger players at almost every key position and expect to win very many games. Fact. Stinks but it's where it is. I just hope they can compete and find some improvement in the remaining games, when the season is over I wouldn't be surprised with some coaching changes either.

Pro
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 979
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 189
    Given: 78

Quote Originally Posted by GoSTATE71;3661726[B
    ][/B]I blame coaching. K-State developed their players, we don't. Have we had any players really improve that greatly during 4 years outside of Knott and Klein? Iowa State is a good place to go if you want your QB dreams to die instantly or be a mediocre RB behind a crap offense.
    The following is a sample of players I believe improved a decent amount under Rhoads.

Rumpelhammer (sp?)
    Maggitt
    Lattimer
    Scott
    Irving
    McDonough
    George
    Watson
    Reeves
    Leonard Johnson
    Sam Richardson (cornerback)
    Tribune
    Brackens
    Bundrage
    Coleman
    Ecby
    Woody
    Nealy
    Brun
    Osemele
    Bykowski
    Hicks

Pro
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 988
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 156
    Given: 47

Quote Originally Posted by GoSTATE71 View Post
    So everyone is drinking the "We have young talent, and these recruiting classes are awesome"

Does anyone not realize that we have almost been dead last in recruiting in the big 12 the last 3 years?

2011: 9th (2.65 star average)
    2012: 10th (2.76 star average)
    2013: 9th (2.5 star average)
    *Notable: we have one 4 star commit in 2013 in Lazard, thats it.

Dig further, Kansas state has been about the same in their recruiting right near the bottom with us and Kansas. However, K-state was one game away from a national title last year and was solid the previous 2 years. So really, can we blame it on recruiting alone?

I blame coaching. K-State developed their players, we don't. Have we had any players really improve that greatly during 4 years outside of Knott and Klein? Iowa State is a good place to go if you want your QB dreams to die instantly or be a mediocre RB behind a crap offense.

Defense was salty, credit Burnam and Rhoads defensive backgrounds. However, offense has shown ZERO improvement. This has been discussed I know but quit using the we are just young right now and recruiting is improving. Its not improving were still dead last almost every year. If you expect us to get above 3 wins in conference with dead last recruiting classes and poor coaching we won't.

Sorry to crap in everyone cheerios but its time to be realistic. The problem isn't recruiting alone or being young, its that we have an incompetent coaching staff. The upset wins are flukes, not a indication of great coaching. Play Nebraska at Nebraska 10 times and we lose 9 of them, play OSU 10 times and I bet they whip us 7-8 times. Just saying, I'm slowly losing faith in this staff. Offseason will be huge. I will continue to donate and go to games but if we don't win 6-8 games next year, the money I spend on football will be going straight to the basketball program. /Rant
    2.93 for 2014 (composite). If you count 4* transfer Montgomery and if we land 4* clinkscales (who we lead for) we will be above a 3* average. That means more 4* than 2*. Also don't know your math skills but the 2013 class had a composite 2.92* average. Which is significantly better than the 2.72 average in 2012 and 2.65 average in 2011. 2013 and 2014 are the BEST isu classes I ever recall and decent by any standard.

Last edited by IAStubborn; 10-28-2013 at 07:23 PM.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,326
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by IAStubborn View Post
    2.93 for 2014 (composite). If you count 4* transfer Montgomery and if we land 4* clinkscales (who we lead for) we will be above a 3* average. That means more 4* than 2*. Also don't know your math skills but the 2013 class had a composite 2.92* average.
    I was just going off of what rivals listed.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,326
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Luth4Cy View Post
    The following is a sample of players I believe improved a decent amount under Rhoads.

Rumpelhammer (sp?)
    Maggitt
    Lattimer
    Scott
    Irving
    McDonough
    George
    Watson
    Reeves
    Leonard Johnson
    Sam Richardson (cornerback)
    Tribune
    Brackens
    Bundrage
    Coleman
    Ecby
    Woody
    Nealy
    Brun
    Osemele
    Bykowski
    Hicks
    How many were/are 1st team all Big 12 or 2nd team all Big 12? I'm not saying it to be a smart *** but I'm curious. Osemele? Klein, Knott, KVD? More so, how many were drafted and currently on NFL rosters? 4-5? Just saying..

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 128
    Given: 554

Yes, another thread about recruiting! As if no one hasn't missed the umpteenth thread about it!

Pro
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 979
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 189
    Given: 78

How many were/are 1st team all Big 12 or 2nd team all Big 12? I'm not saying it to be a smart *** but I'm curious. Osemele? Klein, Knott, KVD? More so, how many were drafted and currently on NFL rosters? 4-5? Just saying..
    I'm pretty sure Rumpelhammer, McDonough, Reeves, Bykowski, and LJ besides the ones you mentioned all received some form of all-conference accolades. George and Watson probably will at the end of this season. Others like Bundrage, SR (CB), and Tribune certainly will have opportunities too in the future.

Also, if you look at the 15 K-State players in the NFL, about ten of them were developed in either Snyder's first reign as coach or under Ron Prince. We have 6 players in the NFL, according to the following link. Four of them have been developed primarily under Rhoads.

NFL Players by College - I - National Football League - ESPN

Pro
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 139
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 441
    Given: 12

Redo your rankings after the year. Don't they usually update the stars then?

Rookie
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 31
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 28

Kansas State does a great job recruiting JUCO players. They are helped by the fact that some of the best Junior Colleges are located in Kansas. It seems to me they don't really develop high school players any better than we do. Their best players are usually former Junior College guys. So your point that our coaches suck because they don't develop players like KState coaches, is just wrong.

Also, considering KState is not that good this year, maybe they aren't a great example. Bill Snyder's turn around their is probably the biggest turn around of a program in college football history. To hope someone can do that here is one thing, but to expect it, is stupid.

We are having a bad season, it happens to every program that's ever played. This is the same coaching staff that led us to one of the best 4 year stretches in school history. Do you really think they forgot how to coach? Do you remember the Chizik years where we got to see what bad coaching really looks like?

Rookie
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 31
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 28

How many were highly ranked coming out of high school where you would expect them to be all Big 12 players? None? Just saying. You don't just create talent out of nothing. You can find diamonds in the rough, but you don't create them very often.

Pro
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 988
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 156
    Given: 47

I am not sure how the services put out their rankings but it doesn't really seem to be based in any objective measure. I took the composite * average for 2013 class for each team to put in perspective:
    1. Texas 3.67*
    2. OU 3.38*
    3. OSU 3.08*
    4. Baylor 3.04*
    5.Tech 2.96*
    6.ISU 2.92* (if you count montgomery we are at 2.96)
    7.TCU 2.91*
    8. WVU 2.81*
    9. KSU 2.79*
    10. KU 2.17*

And 2014 is averaging 2.93* so far! Rhoads was behind in talent In 2012 and before as we were 9th or below in composite average. 2013 and 2014 we are legit middle of the pack. The future IS brighter.

Also shows why we have 9 competitive teams.

Last edited by IAStubborn; 10-28-2013 at 08:14 PM.

Addict
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 844
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 70
    Given: 13

Keep dreaming bill Snyder will join our staff. I'll keep dreaming we land some higher rated recruiting classes.

Until I see Iowa state LOSE consistently with highly rated classes I will continue to believe recruiting is our ticket to destiny.