Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 41

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Legend
    Points: 181,426, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    The_Architect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Focus Town
    Posts
    12,470
    Points
    181,426
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 867
    Given: 3,895

    My new TV is ruining watching TV for me

    Both my wife and I are really bothered by how nice our new LED tv is. It's really hard to explain but the picture quality is almost making it hard to watch shows now. I have several hi-def TV's in the house but this one is making the "background" of shows so detailed I swear I'm watching a show from a camcorder.

    Does that make sense? It literally looks like I'm just watching people videotaping each other right in front of me. I guess with my other hi-def TV's they just aren't detailed enough to have ever noticed this before.

    I know this is really random and "first world problem" comments are applicable but does anyone else know what I'm talking about? Even The Walking Dead was kind of painful to watch last night but on the flip side, the NFL games were incredible.


    Kansas wears Adidas.

  2. #2
    Legend
    Points: 414,940, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    bos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    25,963
    Points
    414,940
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,390
    Given: 2,480

    Re: My new TV is ruining watching TV for me

    So you probably have a 120, 240 or higher hz? Sounds like you miss the blur effect of lower hz tvs.



  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 216,092, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    JUKEBOX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    7,198
    Points
    216,092
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 130
    Given: 0

    Re: My new TV is ruining watching TV for me

    Quote Originally Posted by bos View Post
    So you probably have a 120, 240 or higher hz? Sounds like you miss the blur effect of lower hz tvs.
    I agree. I think he is bothered by the unnatural upscaling of 24 fps content to 120/240 fps content.

    He should turn off the automatic upscaling option that should only be used for sports or video games.



  4. #4
    Pro
    Points: 47,633, Level: 67
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 717
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    isuska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Ankeny, IA
    Posts
    2,741
    Points
    47,633
    Level
    67
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,330
    Given: 849

    Re: My new TV is ruining watching TV for me

    I have experienced this same thing at my In-Laws. really creeps me out



  5. #5
    Pro
    Points: 28,653, Level: 52
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,097
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    boone7247's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Near the City
    Posts
    2,006
    Points
    28,653
    Level
    52
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 288
    Given: 217

    Re: My new TV is ruining watching TV for me

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Architect View Post
    Both my wife and I are really bothered by how nice our new LED tv is. It's really hard to explain but the picture quality is almost making it hard to watch shows now. I have several hi-def TV's in the house but this one is making the "background" of shows so detailed I swear I'm watching a show from a camcorder.

    Does that make sense? It literally looks like I'm just watching people videotaping each other right in front of me. I guess with my other hi-def TV's they just aren't detailed enough to have ever noticed this before.

    I know this is really random and "first world problem" comments are applicable but does anyone else know what I'm talking about? Even The Walking Dead was kind of painful to watch last night but on the flip side, the NFL games were incredible.
    I am no expert but play with your settings, you can get that familiar blur back!


    A world without yoga pants and Planter's cheese balls, is a world I no longer want to live in.

  6. #6
    Addict
    Points: 131,160, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    cyclonespiker33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    7,707
    Points
    131,160
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,127
    Given: 510

    Re: My new TV is ruining watching TV for me

    I'll do you a solid and take it off your hands for you.



  7. #7
    Legend
    Points: 168,808, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Gunnerclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Beaverdale hood
    Posts
    12,564
    Points
    168,808
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,247
    Given: 2,786

    Re: My new TV is ruining watching TV for me

    Boardwalk Empire is fantastic with that effect.


    Campbell In!

    @8GuardLineup





  8. #8
    Speechless
    Points: 247,637, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    21,426
    Points
    247,637
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,542
    Given: 1,977

    Re: My new TV is ruining watching TV for me

    I know exactly what you mean.... its harder to watch when a picture is too good. It makes it apparent you are watching actors on a set rather than something that is really happening, which is distracting.



  9. #9
    Addict
    Points: 53,219, Level: 71
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 831
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    NickTheGreat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Johnston
    Posts
    6,026
    Points
    53,219
    Level
    71
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 876
    Given: 1,153

    Re: My new TV is ruining watching TV for me

    You're talking about the Soap Opera Effect?
    What is the 'Soap Opera Effect'? | TV and Home Theater - CNET Reviews

    My Sammy LED had that real bad, and I turned it off. I still have the excellent PQ, but how it was intended to be viewed



  10. #10
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 60,532, Level: 76
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 1,118
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    NorthCyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    4,710
    Points
    60,532
    Level
    76
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,081
    Given: 392

    Re: My new TV is ruining watching TV for me

    Quote Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post
    You're talking about the Soap Opera Effect?
    What is the 'Soap Opera Effect'? | TV and Home Theater - CNET Reviews

    My Sammy LED had that real bad, and I turned it off. I still have the excellent PQ, but how it was intended to be viewed
    This article pretty much nails it with the reference of the high frame rate version of the Hobbit. I watched that version in the theaters and it was a glaring difference. I bought a nice shiny new LED tv a few weeks ago, and the soap opera effect is pretty evident. But I had read up enough to know to epect it. I adapted to it pretty quickly and don't even notice it anymore. I even kind of prefer it.

    The biggest diffeence for me was how much signal quality matters with an increase in screen size. I went from a 42" 720p plasma to 58" 1080p LED, and flipped on a football game first thing. I was pretty underwhelmed by the picture. It was HD, but apparently the broadast still wasn't high quality. Then I brought up a 1080p movie on VUDU and was blown away by the picture quality. As screen sizes get bigger lower quality braodcasts really start to look bad. Standard def is practically unwatchable on this thing.



  11. #11
    Legend
    Points: 212,808, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Farnsworth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    11,307
    Points
    212,808
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,050
    Given: 1,135

    Re: My new TV is ruining watching TV for me

    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCyd View Post
    This article pretty much nails it with the reference of the high frame rate version of the Hobbit. I watched that version in the theaters and it was a glaring difference. I bought a nice shiny new LED tv a few weeks ago, and the soap opera effect is pretty evident. But I had read up enough to know to epect it. I adapted to it pretty quickly and don't even notice it anymore. I even kind of prefer it.

    The biggest diffeence for me was how much signal quality matters with an increase in screen size. I went from a 42" 720p plasma to 58" 1080p LED, and flipped on a football game first thing. I was pretty underwhelmed by the picture. It was HD, but apparently the broadast still wasn't high quality. Then I brought up a 1080p movie on VUDU and was blown away by the picture quality. As screen sizes get bigger lower quality braodcasts really start to look bad. Standard def is practically unwatchable on this thing.
    Try playing N64 on a TV like this, it's a *****!



  12. #12
    All-Star
    Points: 34,827, Level: 57
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 623
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesVeteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Urbandale
    Posts
    1,797
    Points
    34,827
    Level
    57
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 436
    Given: 403

    Re: My new TV is ruining watching TV for me

    It's called the soap opera effect. We had the same problem. Believe it or not, you will get used to it. My wife and I had a helluva time watching hi-def shows when we bought our TV last fall, but now, I don't want to watch anything but hi-def.



  13. #13
    Speechless
    Points: 274,433, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 58.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Rabbuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    20,703
    Points
    274,433
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,855
    Given: 168

    Re: My new TV is ruining watching TV for me

    This is like the guy complaining about how his speakers were too nice for his 62 inch television.



  14. #14
    All-Star
    Points: 36,302, Level: 58
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 348
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,265
    Points
    36,302
    Level
    58
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 69
    Given: 13

    Re: My new TV is ruining watching TV for me

    There is a setting that is something like "Automotion." Change it and it will help. You get used to it, that feeling like you can reach into the screen. But it is definitely different.



  15. #15
    Addict
    Points: 147,409, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    bringmagicback's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    CF Resident Dog Lover
    Posts
    6,943
    Points
    147,409
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,144
    Given: 448

    Re: My new TV is ruining watching TV for me

    I notice the same thing, drives me nuts, its like its to real life.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: TBA
  • Football Season Opener vs. UNI
  • September 3, 2016
  • 07:00 PM