Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 138
    Given: 344

Re: how many schools keep a coach

For the record, I think Rhoads should stay (and he will), but after this year, his overall record will most likely be in the DanMcCarney, Donnie Duncan, Criner, etc. region.

Walk On
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 111
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    I would LOVE to lose a coach because they were too successful here.
    That might not be a 9 win season. That might be turning around a bad program and getting competitive/showing promise, and then they get picked up before they become too big of a commodity. In the short term, you totally want that... I agree.

But by the time that you have to replace that young coach with another young/inexperienced coach, do you honestly think the second one will just pick up where the first left off? That they could continue to build, despite their inexperience? Sure, we might have a good year, or two, but it doesn't change the long term outlook--and honestly could hurt the program over time, if you make one wrong hire. I still trust Rhoads to build this team and program up, more than I would trust some young, unproven guy.

"There's always some guy that knows what the hell's going on. I get a kick out of how much of an authority these guys are, who have never been to my practices. That amazes me, how they can tell me what's wrong with my team. And I must really be dumb, because I'm there every day and goddamn I have a hard time figuring it out sometimes."-Johnny Orr

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 565
    Given: 530

"I see it looks like you have ridiculous offensive stats on NCAA Football 2003. Congratulations CycloneErik, we'd love to trot you out on Saturdays to represent Iowa State University as the Head Football Coach."
    Everyone can watch as I pull a receiver aside screaming "FOUR VERTICALS!!! THAT'S ALL 4 OF YOU? FOUR VERTICALS!"

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Starter
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 209
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by cycloneinpdx View Post
    You mean like Chizik? That one really worked well for us. We should do that again. How exactly do you plan to keep the young unproven guy here if he starts to succeed? He'll get snapped up by a 'big' program no time.
    Thank god we don't have to worry about anyone stealing CPR away from us. Our current situation is much better than having a guy succeed and leave.

Our large portion of our fanbase is far too comfortable with being a doormat which makes Pollard's job the easiest in the country.

10 years $20 million is what we're paying CPR.

Yeah, there's no way we could get a decent coach for that type of $$.

Speech! Speech!!!

Addict
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 23

Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    All of them do when they are in our financial situation and still owe their coach as much as we do to Rhoads.

How many times does it need to be said that ISU cannot afford to fire Rhoads. It isn't going to happen. It can't happen. Financially, it c-a-n-n-o-t happen.

The best we can hope for is to get rid of a bunch of assistants. But I'm doubtful if we'll even see that? Rhoads is pretty darn stubborn and comfy with his friends underneath him I'm afraid.
    I don't think CPR should be fired at this point. But that decision shouldn't be decided by his contract. Pollard is responsible for handcuffing the athletic department in that fashion. He continues to make the same mistake over and over. Chizik had an extension on the table before he bolted. GMac was given an extension, and Creighton bailed us out of that.

*** OFFICIAL 2013 CYCLONE FANATIC BIG 12 ELIMINATION COMPETITION CO-CHAMPION ***
    *** OFFICIAL 2012 CYCLONE FANATIC FANTASY BASKETBALL CHAMPION ***
    *** OFFICIAL 2011, 2012, 2013 CYCLONE FANATIC FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION ***
    *** OFFICIAL 2011 and 2012 CYCLONE FANATIC FANTASY BASEBALL CHAMPION ***

Legend
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    Given: 119

Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post

The best we can hope for is to get rid of a bunch of assistants.
    But I'm doubtful if we'll even see that? Rhoads is pretty darn stubborn and comfy with his friends underneath him I'm afraid.
    Do you pay attention to the stupid that you're typing? Good grief, I'm outta here.

Paul Rhoads' players never quit.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 947
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 49
    Given: 16

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    This is 100% Pollard's fault and he should be held accountable for it.

CPR wasn't going anywhere and hadn't done anything to warrant an extension as long and as rich as he received. He should've learned something from the college S and E of here.

We're paying $2 million per win, so far this year.
    About 18 months ago, we were paranoid that Rhoads might leave. We were determined that we needed to do everything possible to keep him in Ames. Of course, looking back now, that 10 year contract seems uncalled for. But at the time, it was probably the right thing to do. Too bad this year killed all that momentum Rhoads had built. We were, IMO, very close to moving from a poor program to an average program.

Gotta start over, now. That's what years like this do, and that's why it's so damn hard to transform a program.

Starter
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 209
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by gogagig View Post
    About 18 months ago, we were paranoid that Rhoads might leave. We were determined that we needed to do everything possible to keep him in Ames. Of course, looking back now, that 10 year contract seems uncalled for. But at the time, it was probably the right thing to do. Too bad this year killed all that momentum Rhoads had built. We were, IMO, very close to moving from a poor program to an average program.

Gotta start over, now. That's what years like this do, and that's why it's so damn hard to transform a program.
    We have a lot of fans who are complete *******. Afraid of success because a coach might leave.

10 years for 2 million per is a ridiculous contract for someone like CPR. That was a hometown deal given by Jamie who is friends with him. It will prevent us from hiring a more capable coach in the future.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 42
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by gogagig View Post

There is never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever a time to give a coach a 10 year contract.

Ever.

You take a ridiculous amount of risk and the coach has none.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 565
    Given: 530

There is never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever a time to give a coach a 10 year contract.

Ever.

You take a ridiculous amount of risk and the coach has none.
    I think that for coaches at any level and professional athletes as well. 3 years is ideal in my world, 5 as a stretch, but anything past that sets up for trouble.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Walk On
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 111
    Achievements:
    3 months registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    We have a lot of fans who are complete *******. Afraid of success because a coach might leave.

10 years for 2 million per is a ridiculous contract for someone like CPR. That was a hometown deal given by Jamie who is friends with him. It will prevent us from hiring a more capable coach in the future.
    Who exactly would you hire, and how would you get them here? Every program in a major conference in the country can offer at least what we can financially. ISU has no history. ISU is in the middle of a dead zone for recruiting, and we play against teams (OU, Texas) that can get almost any 4 or 5 star they try for. We have a passionate, but small, fan base.

Any good coach won't come here. Any young good coach won't stay here, and a lot of them may not want to risk their reputation on a place like ISU. I'm not scared of a successful coach leaving... if they're really successful. But I really don't think that terming "success" as getting to a bowl game a couple years in a row (which is all that it would require for a good, young coach to get a better offer and jump ship, in all likelihood) is any different than what we have now. At least we have some stability, and a coach that players want to play for (like Lazard, who has said that he wants to play specifically for Rhoads).

I just have a hard time believing that some hotshot young guy is going to take us to more than 6 wins in any given season, and that we could recover from their leaving in any meaningful way...finding a coach that can succeed here is hard enough, let alone doing it every 3 years. It's not sustainable to turn us in to "Head Coach U" that people jump to to get experience and jump to a better program at the first opportunity. It may seem like a good option, but it would never, ever work in execution, and we will always end up in the same position (without a coach, or with a terrible coach/terrible year, which is no better than what we have right now).

Why don't we stay with a coach that has already shown promise and a commitment to stay, and see if he can keep moving forward. After all, just look at Iowa. More than once Ferentz has had a bad year, and followed it up with 2 or 3 good ones... it's just a matter of experience on the roster. It's cyclical. Lets see if this cycle follows that pattern and we have a good next two or three seasons.

Maybe we gave Rhoads an extension too early...who knows. But we can't change that, and firing him, handcuffing us to his salary plus whoever else we hire (who is surely inexperienced/not a top level coach) is not better than what we have now.

"There's always some guy that knows what the hell's going on. I get a kick out of how much of an authority these guys are, who have never been to my practices. That amazes me, how they can tell me what's wrong with my team. And I must really be dumb, because I'm there every day and goddamn I have a hard time figuring it out sometimes."-Johnny Orr

Starter
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 422
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Well we Keep McCarney for 12 Years

McCarney had a very long leash with only had a couple really good years. He had another 3-4 years like what we've experienced under CPR and he had another 5-6 years like we've experienced the last two weeks.

I think CPR is a good coach, but I think he need to step back and re-evaluate some of his coaches. I also think he needs to look at his recruiting.

Rookie
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 59
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

We need to end home and home games, have 7 home games per year, dump UNI and pay whatever it takes to play easier teams. No excuse to play our schedule. Conference is too difficult. No way we should EVER have a home and home with a Tulsa, San Jose St, etc... we need wins in non-conf to deal with the ultra difficult conference. Scheduling 101. Have you seen Alabama's non-conf schedule? Most every SEC and Big 10 schools non-conf???

Speechless
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 42

Quote Originally Posted by Klonz View Post
    We need to end home and home games, have 7 home games per year, dump UNI and pay whatever it takes to play easier teams. No excuse to play our schedule. Conference is too difficult. No way we should EVER have a home and home with a Tulsa, San Jose St, etc... we need wins in non-conf to deal with the ultra difficult conference. Scheduling 101. Have you seen Alabama's non-conf schedule? Most every SEC and Big 10 schools non-conf???
    And how many Big 10 or SEC schools have a smaller budget than ISU? Maybe 3? Maybe?

We should close up shop on the football program if we're scared of playing ******* UNI.

Addict
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 984
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 75
    Given: 12

Not many. We are a cellar dweller in college football for the most part. We hold one of the worst winning percentages in Division 1, so you tend to give your coach a little more leeway when your "Golden Age" of football took place over 30 years ago and lasted about 3 seasons.