Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 104
    Given: 2

Re: Friday OT - Brag up your story

My story sucked. It was a few days after Christmas, and I had planned on proposing at dinner at a nice restaurant. As dinner went on the whole thing just felt really weird. For some reason I hadn't quite anticipated the number of other people in the restaurant, and the whole thing just would have been weird. I had let our family and friends know I was going to propose, and had everyone waiting back at home for a little celebration-- so the pressure was on, I had to figure out some way to do it. The restaurant had also asked if the reservations were made for any special purpose, and I said I planned to propose, so I was also worried they would bring out some kind of dessert or something and blow my cover.

Anyway, dinner got over and I still hadn't asked. When we got outside I said lets go on a little walk. There was a big, beautiful christmas tree not too far away, and I figured that was my best shot. I suggested we go on a little walk. Of course, it was late December and it was absolutely freezing and my now wife had a dress on, and understandable said lets just go home. Realizing she was not going to go on a walk with me, and now becoming increasingly desperate, I told her that I had the keys to the car, I was going on a walk and she could follow me or not. She followed, somewhat angrily, behind me and eventually we got to a good spot and I proposed. I further blew it by not getting on one knee...there was snow on the ground and I had dress pants on, c'mon.

I suck. Shoulda just gone with the jumbotron at the Jack.

Starter
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 412
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Not my story but a buddy of mine maintains a bucket list. One of the items was to go campaniling on homecoming. His fiance and him when campaniling on homecoming. During it he pulled out his bucket list to cross off campaniling and had added propose to Jenessa. He proposed there at the campanile!

square root(31) = 5.56776436
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 83.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 211
    Given: 715

Quote Originally Posted by CapnCy View Post
    Somewhat similar story, although I didn't live in Ames and I convinced my now wife I was in town for a conference. I called in a favor and the campanile played the song she wanted to walk down the aisle to as I then asked her. Lot of moving parts to convince her I was in town for another reason, friends calling me to make it seem I was in Ames for that reason, and, of course, timing. It was raining, so I had to help her understand that walking in the rain was silly, we NEEDED to go meet our friend as planned and that provided a good reason to wait atop the steps of Curtiss Hall.
    That's pretty awesome - who is even in charge of the music at the campanile? I guess I've never asked - the music dept? Administration?

Quote Originally Posted by Clonefan32 View Post
    My story sucked. It was a few days after Christmas, and I had planned on proposing at dinner at a nice restaurant. As dinner went on the whole thing just felt really weird. For some reason I hadn't quite anticipated the number of other people in the restaurant, and the whole thing just would have been weird. I had let our family and friends know I was going to propose, and had everyone waiting back at home for a little celebration-- so the pressure was on, I had to figure out some way to do it. The restaurant had also asked if the reservations were made for any special purpose, and I said I planned to propose, so I was also worried they would bring out some kind of dessert or something and blow my cover.

Anyway, dinner got over and I still hadn't asked. When we got outside I said lets go on a little walk. There was a big, beautiful christmas tree not too far away, and I figured that was my best shot. I suggested we go on a little walk. Of course, it was late December and it was absolutely freezing and my now wife had a dress on, and understandable said lets just go home. Realizing she was not going to go on a walk with me, and now becoming increasingly desperate, I told her that I had the keys to the car, I was going on a walk and she could follow me or not. She followed, somewhat angrily, behind me and eventually we got to a good spot and I proposed. I further blew it by not getting on one knee...there was snow on the ground and I had dress pants on, c'mon.

I suck. Shoulda just gone with the jumbotron at the Jack.
    That sucks that nothing worked out right. My husband's first attempt was going to be in the little park right outside Lucullan's (we'd just eaten there), but that guy in the dress was hanging out there, so I don't think he wanted that guy to be our first witness.

M 7/09

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 478
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 57
    Given: 187

My proposal was pretty lame, really. I went out to Colorado with my girlfriend, month of March-ish, to visit my brother. I told him I was going to propose when I felt the moment was right -- thought maybe while we were skiing or something. Never did ask her while we were visiting him. Bought her a pair of rock-climbing shoes in Boulder, and then drove up to Estes Park. We went bouldering at the Twin Owls park just north of town, and climbed this big rock. While we were on top, I said in my smooth way "So...are you gonna marry me or what?" to which she responded, "Are you asking me officially or just curious?" Oh that clever wife of mine. I was pretty sure she would say yes (and she did), but I have to admit, I was pretty nervous about the whole deal.

"Just remember, what you choose to do with each day is very important because you are exchanging a day of your life for it" -ET

"I'm trying not to sweat the small stuff in my life, but there is a definite learning curve." -CE

All-Star
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 380
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 127
    Given: 4

I once asked a girl out by having her check yes and no.

Starter
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 241
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 47
    Given: 10

Quote Originally Posted by keepngoal View Post
    My first wife, I proposed while she was on Santas lap. Earlier I had arranged for the photo taker to snap a picture as I got down on one knee to catch the moment as she was surprised. It worked.... hands flapping, surprised look. And her legs were spread enough that you could see clean up her skirt (no panties) from the picture taken.

Now that I think about it... that was a warning sign.

-keep
    I'm still trying to understand why she was sitting on Santa's lap with no panties on.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 193
    Given: 58

Most recent gf's birthday present: I got a bunch of different fancy flowery glassware at goodwill and a bunch of different scents and wax and made a ton of homemade candles. Knew her favorite scents based on the trips to Bath and Body Works. Put that in a purple basket I spray painted (her favorite color). She played the piano so I got a copy of her favorite song and shredded that for the gift basket filler paper along with purple construction paper. Add a box of her favorite chocolates. Finally I bought one of those hand made bird ornaments from the Czech Museum in Cedar Rapids, a purple swan and had that in there as well. (Her Birthday was early December). Then I finally sprinkled some Hershey Kisses around to top it all off. We were to go campaniling too because we both had not done that yet so I had a friend stash the gift basket out there right before we went and we kissed, I went around to where he stashed it and came out with the present. I tried to find a picture of it but I couldn't . Here is an example of another bird ornament they have, couldn't find the purple swan:

My teams: (as of 9/20/13)
    Cleveland Browns: 0-2 - .000
    Cleveland Indians: 83-70 - .542
    Cleveland Cavs: 24-58 - .293
    Iowa State Cyclones (FB): 0-2 - .000

9/22/18 & 9/7/19
    Akron and Iowa State
    CAN'T WAIT!

Pro
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 1,063
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 82
    Given: 49

[QUOTE=Angie;3655143]That's pretty awesome - who is even in charge of the music at the campanile? I guess I've never asked - the music dept? Administration?

I am friends with the chair of the music dept, that was my connection. But I believe the campanile is managed by them. Here is the info on the official carolinner Iowa State University MUSIC

Rookie
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 648
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 45
    Given: 45

My husband proposed under the campanile at midnight after taking a well-timed walk around campus and Lake LaVerne (although I think we only went around one time). I was working in Ames during the summer between my jr and senior yr and he came to visit over the 4th of July from Kansas where he worked. He had just gotten into town and I had gotten off work at Applebee's when he suggested a walk on campus at 11pm. I really didn't want to, but it was a nice July night out. Glad I ended up going on the walk. ;) He proposed at midnight on the 4th of July, we were married the following year on the 5th of July and took wedding photos under the campanile. Now that we live in Ames again we like to go to the campanile on special occasions.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Oh but that girl I did that for? She's a cheating ****...

9/22/18 & 9/7/19
    Akron and Iowa State
    CAN'T WAIT!

Addict
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 186
    Given: 171

Quote Originally Posted by MLawrence View Post
    I have been told by my girlfriend that when I purpose there needs to be a cameraman and no cliche food ideas.
    Gppd thing your GF is ALREADY making demands.

Follow me on Twitter: @theantiAIRBHG

Addict
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 186
    Given: 171

Quote Originally Posted by ISUCyclones2015 View Post
    Oh but that girl I did that for? She's a cheating ****...
    Aren't they all?

Follow me on Twitter: @theantiAIRBHG

square root(31) = 5.56776436
    Overall activity: 83.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 211
    Given: 715

Quote Originally Posted by CapnCy View Post
    I am friends with the chair of the music dept, that was my connection. But I believe the campanile is managed by them. Here is the info on the official carolinner Iowa State University MUSIC
    That is really, really cool!

M 7/09

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by theantiAIRBHG View Post
    Aren't they all?
    Yes actually... I've had 3 major relationships and they have all cheated.

9/22/18 & 9/7/19
    Akron and Iowa State
    CAN'T WAIT!

All-Star
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 860
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 14

I proposed to my wife on tv at the end of our newscast. She was in the studio with me and came on camera to say yes. We chatted a bit about our relationship with the other anchors after it.

Kinda corny, but I wouldn't change it for anything!

Have a copy of it on DVD somewhere. I should really dig that out.

"Science is a wonderful thing if one does not have to earn one's living at it." -- Albert Einstein