Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 21

2013-2014 Season Outlook

Looking at the schedule, I see a lot of winnable games. Our toughest games will most certainly be Kansas, Oklahoma State, Baylor, Iowa, BYU and Michigan. Oklahoma is always tough to play in Norman. Texas will be interesting because they always have talent, but just cannot execute. I see K-state getting worse under Bruce (I should stay in the MVC) Weber, West Virginia will be better but not enough to challenge ISU, and Tubby will make Tech into a nuisance this year, but not much else.

I see us ending the regular season with this record

22-8 (12-6).

I see us losing to Michigan, BYU, Baylor (in Waco), Oklahoma (in Norman), OSU (in Stillwater), Kansas (home and away, damn wiggins), Texas (in Austin), and we hold firm at home.

I see two winning streaks in this schedule:
    The first from Nov.25 - January 4
    The second from Feb. 8 - March 1

Does this look realistic? I know the Hawkeyes will be good this year, but with the game being at home, I think we can come away with the win.

Kansas with Wiggins is a while other story. That team I think will be unstoppable in the Big 12.

Starter
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 368
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 50
    Given: 4

Re: 2013-2014 Season Outlook

I don't see us losing to BYU. Texas has lost everyone on their team and I don't think they even put up a fight against us either time. Hopefully we win both Baylor games as they have the lousiest coach in the game. I'm going to say we lose both to Kansas and Okie State, Michigan, and one to either K-State or Oklahoma. Throw one other conference upset in there and that's my prediction for the season.

All-Star
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 427
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 53

Quote Originally Posted by Mumbai1986 View Post
    Looking at the schedule, I see a lot of winnable games. Our toughest games will most certainly be Kansas, Oklahoma State, Baylor, Iowa, BYU and Michigan. Oklahoma is always tough to play in Norman. Texas will be interesting because they always have talent, but just cannot execute. I see K-state getting worse under Bruce (I should stay in the MVC) Weber, West Virginia will be better but not enough to challenge ISU, and Tubby will make Tech into a nuisance this year, but not much else.

22-8 (12-6).

I see us losing to Michigan, BYU, Baylor (in Waco), Oklahoma (in Norman), OSU (in Stillwater), Kansas (home and away, damn wiggins), Texas (in Austin), and we hold firm at home.

Does this look realistic? I know the Hawkeyes will be good this year, but with the game being at home, I think we can come away with the win.

Kansas with Wiggins is a while other story. That team I think will be unstoppable in the Big 12.
    I see about the same as last year:

20-10 (11-7)

Losses to Michigan, BYU + one other in non conference (not calling who, just the team will still be trying to gel)
    Conference losses to Baylor (Waco), Oklahoma (Norman), OSU and Kansas (lose 3 of 4, beating either OSU or Kansas at home, but not both). Then two losses they shouldn't lose (much like last year losing to Texas and Tech)

They will be firmly on the bubble 50/50 they get in or not. If they get bounced right away in Big12 tourney they will be out. If they win two they will be in. If they lose second round of Big12 tourney, there will be much nail bitting in Ames when the NCAA field is announced.

Pro
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 1,351
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 98
    Given: 59

Quote Originally Posted by deanvogs View Post
    I see about the same as last year:

20-10 (11-7)

Losses to Michigan, BYU + one other in non conference (not calling who, just the team will still be trying to gel)
    Conference losses to Baylor (Waco), Oklahoma (Norman), OSU and Kansas (lose 3 of 4, beating either OSU or Kansas at home, but not both). Then two losses they shouldn't lose (much like last year losing to Texas and Tech)

They will be firmly on the bubble 50/50 they get in or not. If they get bounced right away in Big12 tourney they will be out. If they win two they will be in. If they lose second round of Big12 tourney, there will be much nail bitting in Ames when the NCAA field is announced.
    Even with a loss in the first game of the Conf. Tourney your record prediction with a win over KU or OSU puts the RPI in the upper 30's low 40's and there's no nail biting going on. If you take out that signature win and change one of the upsets to a W then there might be some nail biting but 11-7 (10-6 in the 12 team days) has historically been good enough for 4th place in the conference and that's not getting left out in the play-in 68 team era.

the poster formerly known as chamakhattack

Addict
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 1,423
    Overall activity: 49.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registeredSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 338
    Given: 426

Undefeated, National Championship. BOOM

Naz Long, the Cowboy Killer

Pro
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 949
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 29

Quote Originally Posted by cmjh10 View Post
    Undefeated, National Championship. BOOM
    Someone is drinking the Kool-Aid early this morning.

Major Motoko Kusanagi: If a technological feat is possible, man will do it. Almost as if it's wired into the core of our being.

All-Star
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 427
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 53

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnerclone View Post
    Even with a loss in the first game of the Conf. Tourney your record prediction with a win over KU or OSU puts the RPI in the upper 30's low 40's and there's no nail biting going on. If you take out that signature win and change one of the upsets to a W then there might be some nail biting but 11-7 (10-6 in the 12 team days) has historically been good enough for 4th place in the conference and that's not getting left out in the play-in 68 team era.
    Overall picking every W and L is impossible. I think the team is very much like last year, with last years team being slightly better due to a lot of SR leadership on the court in Babb, Clyburn, Lucious, and McGee. Last year they were a 10 seed. Since I think they were slightly better last year, I see a bubble team. If they do go as I said and beat Oklahoma, Baylor, and either OSU or Kansas they are probably in as you point out. If they go 1-7 against those 4, but win out in conference (11-7) still, I could see them missing out. Not all 20-10 teams will make the NCAA.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,581
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 56
    Given: 8

Tough without seeing how this team is playing together and how quick CFH can find the right rotation. I see KU and OSU as 4 really tough games, but would not be suprised if ISU can win 1 or 2 of them. Michigan will be tough, but it is at Hilton and they are breaking in some new players too.

If the team can come together early (unlike the past 2), then I only see 4-5 losses (the Big12 is that bad). However if it takes 2 months to figure things out the loss count will be closer to 10 and ISU will find themselves in that 7-11 NCAA seed range.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 114
    Given: 100

Quote Originally Posted by deanvogs View Post
    Overall picking every W and L is impossible. I think the team is very much like last year, with last years team being slightly better due to a lot of SR leadership on the court in Babb, Clyburn, Lucious, and McGee. Last year they were a 10 seed. Since I think they were slightly better last year, I see a bubble team. If they do go as I said and beat Oklahoma, Baylor, and either OSU or Kansas they are probably in as you point out. If they go 1-7 against those 4, but win out in conference (11-7) still, I could see them missing out. Not all 20-10 teams will make the NCAA.
    I think we are the 4th best team in the B12 but it's based on how good I think the teams are ahead of us and how bad I think the teams are behind us. Baylor is a wildcard, of course.

Until I see this team play it's all folly. Even then we know how things change over the first month or so with Fred.

Last edited by Cydkar; 10-23-2013 at 07:50 AM.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 114
    Given: 100

Quote Originally Posted by erikbj View Post
    Tough without seeing how this team is playing together and how quick CFH can find the right rotation. I see KU and OSU as 4 really tough games, but would not be suprised if ISU can win 1 or 2 of them. Michigan will be tough, but it is at Hilton and they are breaking in some new players too.

If the team can come together early (unlike the past 2), then I only see 4-5 losses (the Big12 is that bad). However if it takes 2 months to figure things out the loss count will be closer to 10 and ISU will find themselves in that 7-11 NCAA seed range.

Pro
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 351
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 58

we improve as the season goes on, go to tournament and surprise everyone, FINAL FOUR!

All-Star
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,023
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 34

Right now I see us as a bubble team, but even after the first few weeks of the season we still won't know much. Just seems like we always turn on the jets when Big 12 play starts. I really look for us to come together earlier in the year than in seasons past. If we can manage to do that and take care of business in the Big 12, it will set us up nicely for an NCAA tournament run.

In Fred We Trust

Speechless
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 0

Noncon:9-3
    Conf:
    Sweeps: ut, tt, tcu
    60/40: wvu, ou, bu, ksu
    Hopefully 1: osu, ku.

Basically need to sweep the god awful teams, get 5 of 8 from that middle tier, and at least 1 from osu/ku. 12-6/21-9 ticket punched. Actually what I think will happen as well.

Addict
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 1,353
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 65
    Given: 39

Undefeated season or bust.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 514
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Mumbai1986 View Post

22-8 (12-6).

I would be surprised if we are gelling as a team by the time we play Iowa to beat them. Believe me I WANT to beat Iowa, but they will have a very, very solid team this year. Our non-conference will be a positive this year instead of a liability if we win some of the games, but it will be very tough. This might be the year the conference schedule fills in our win total more than the non-conf.