Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Publisher
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 169
    Given: 59

Re: Blum: Past and present

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    CW, you are having a much better year than the football team.
    Ha. Thanks pal.

In all seriousness, Land Grant is right. We aren't above criticism. It's part of the deal. You don't get into this line of work without expecting it.

Brett Blume
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 75
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 17

Quote Originally Posted by Land Grant View Post
    Reasonable people can disagree. Good writers welcome all sorts of responses if offered without malice. And just because something is free doesn't set it beyond criticism. (Plus I'm sure the site counts my traffic in their business reports).
    Thanks for your input. Criticize away. An Iowa State professor once told me, "People prefer to read the negative." That is not my style. Being angry never really appealed to me as a writer; if that means I am "pulling punches" as you say, then so be it.

Twitter.com/brentblum

Rookie
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 116
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMWilliams View Post
    Don't worry about it. People tell me I suck all of the time. I'm used to it. Thanks for all of the lucrative traffic.
    So you find nothing of substance in my criticism? (which it should be noted was not directed at your skill or talent, but rather the content of your arguments). Fair enough.

Publisher
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 169
    Given: 59

Quote Originally Posted by Land Grant View Post
    So you find nothing of substance in my criticism? (which it should be noted was not directed at your skill or talent, but rather the content of your arguments). Fair enough.
    I didn't say that at all. You were commenting on how it is fair to criticize us, and I agreed 100 percent. It happens all of the time. I respect and take it into account, but am not going to lose any sleep over it. If I worried about every little thing that somebody doesn't like that I write, I would live a miserable life.

Last edited by ChrisMWilliams; 10-22-2013 at 01:19 PM.

All-Star
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 290
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 20

Quote Originally Posted by Clonefan94 View Post
    I know a lot of people here keep referencing the 80s and 90s, I was a fan as a kid, graduated from ISU in '94 and I've seen a lot happen as well. To say this season isn't as bad as any of those is a bit of a stretch at this point. Based on what I have seen so far, we still could have a couple big blowouts coming our way this year. There is nothing I have seen from the play on the field that makes me think things will improve. We are going to have to run into the right team on the wrong day for them to be able to win another game this year. When you add that up to losing to UNI and the Baylor blowout, we really aren't too far from those days in the 80s and 90s. It's certainly not as bad yet, but these magic, "Wait til next year" scenarios that keep getting thrown around for the offensive line and just the offense in general are getting pretty pathetic.
    We are of similar vintage and I completely agree with you.

Addict
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,698
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 61
    Given: 77

The biggest improvement we can make for next year is to stay healthy.

Pro
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 305
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 0

That was a such a horrible piece. There was no substance. Just blind optimism.

Legend
    Overall activity: 74.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 292
    Given: 19

Quote Originally Posted by rholtgraves View Post
    That was a such a horrible piece. There was no substance. Just blind optimism.
    Is this an analogy for the program as a whole?

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 67
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 67
    Given: 72

JFC some of you guys are wound tight. I count 4 sentences in that entire article that I would describe as optimistic.

CW & Blum - Thanks for the articles, the amount of content you guys are able to put out on a free site is greatly appreciated. Keep it up.

"But letís see if the Cyclones can give everyone a nice big ****burger to eat. Opportunity awaits." -Brent Blum

"I am the one who knocks" -Walter White

Speechless
    Overall activity: 55.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 147
    Given: 121

Quote Originally Posted by Luth4Cy View Post
    The o-line is bad but I'm still of the opinion the d-line is somewhat solid, we just haven't seen it for the last couple weeks due to the quality of the opponent.
    How bad is the oline?
    The line is so bad that .......NASCAR has found a new race track to the qb.

How bad is the OC?
    The OC is so bad that ...the Kardashians could call the plays.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

All-Star
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 401
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 5

I don't agree with this at all. Especially the "Lots of fans" idea. I think a lot of fans were expecting, based on what Rhoads' teams have done in the past, to be competitive. I do believe most ISU fans are expecting 8 wins eventually, but I don't know too many who thought it was going to happen this year. I really believe most fans look at this as a building process. We were just hoping that the days of losing to UNI and getting blown out by 60+ points at home were gone.

I know a lot of people here keep referencing the 80s and 90s, I was a fan as a kid, graduated from ISU in '94 and I've seen a lot happen as well. To say this season isn't as bad as any of those is a bit of a stretch at this point. Based on what I have seen so far, we still could have a couple big blowouts coming our way this year. There is nothing I have seen from the play on the field that makes me think things will improve. We are going to have to run into the right team on the wrong day for them to be able to win another game this year. When you add that up to losing to UNI and the Baylor blowout, we really aren't too far from those days in the 80s and 90s. It's certainly not as bad yet, but these magic, "Wait til next year" scenarios that keep getting thrown around for the offensive line and just the offense in general are getting pretty pathetic.

And then, I guess my final thing is a question, Why can't ISU fans expect more? I am pretty sick of people always telling me that, "Eh this is what you get." I don't believe it, but if that attitude is still here, then I don't want any part of it. It wasn't that long ago that I was being told it was all about support, the fans had to do their part, give their money. Well the fans stepped up. And i don't believe that they all think we should be getting at least 8 wins a year, if they are thinking that, well, I can't blame them, because that is the piece of the pie they were sold.

I still believe fans would have accepted a 2-10 season this year pretty easily. Two teams you had to beat were UNI and Tulsa. After that, all they really had to do was look like they belonged on the field. We haven't even gotten that.
    Well you basically agreed with me besides the "lot of people" (although you probably put it to words better than I could).

My first point was that, based off the reaction to this season so far, you'd think the expectation was 8 wins. People talking about not going to any more games, burning tickets (I know that is a joke), wondering what attendance will be by the end of the year, etc. In my mind, those people had way too high of expectations.

I'm not saying ISU fans "can't expect more" by any means. I am just saying I think those days are still ahead of us, and now is not that time to expect more. We're working through a transition here.

The whole point of my post, which I guess I never really got to, is that we need to have a little patience with the football team at ISU. Like other people said, it's not like we were once this big national power. It's a tough place to win. It's going to take a long time, and a ton of work, and probably some luck to get to where we are in the thick of it every year. But I hate that some people are abandoning ship so easily.

Pro
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 38

I don't agree with this at all. Especially the "Lots of fans" idea. I think a lot of fans were expecting, based on what Rhoads' teams have done in the past, to be competitive. I do believe most ISU fans are expecting 8 wins eventually, but I don't know too many who thought it was going to happen this year. I really believe most fans look at this as a building process. We were just hoping that the days of losing to UNI and getting blown out by 60+ points at home were gone.

And then, I guess my final thing is a question, Why can't ISU fans expect more? I am pretty sick of people always telling me that, "Eh this is what you get." I don't believe it, but if that attitude is still here, then I don't want any part of it. It wasn't that long ago that I was being told it was all about support, the fans had to do their part, give their money. Well the fans stepped up. And i don't believe that they all think we should be getting at least 8 wins a year, if they are thinking that, well, I can't blame them, because that is the piece of the pie they were sold.

I still believe fans would have accepted a 2-10 season this year pretty easily. Two teams you had to beat were UNI and Tulsa. After that, all they really had to do was look like they belonged on the field. We haven't even gotten that.
    We've had a embarrassing loss to UNI, a blowout, and a few close losses. That is NOT like the early 90's. Now this season COULD turn into that, but I don't think it will. We beat Texas (didn't win, but beat them). Baylor could turn out to win the Big12 for all we know.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 98
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post
    We've had a embarrassing loss to UNI, a blowout, and a few close losses. That is NOT like the early 90's. Now this season COULD turn into that, but I don't think it will. We beat Texas (didn't win, but beat them). Baylor could turn out to win the Big12 for all we know.
    The Iowa and Texas Tech losses were close on the scoreboard, but very indicative of the huge gap in talent. And Iowa is a middle of the road to bad team in a bad conference and Texas Tech, like Baylor, is not far removed from being our neighbor at the bottom of the conference. So we are left with two non-embarassing games in Texas and Tulsa.

Folks, we have finished 9th or 10th in the conference recruiting rankings since CPR got here. It should come as little surprise that we are where we are.