Overall activity: 36.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 697
    Given: 411

Slow transition into boring adulthood

When we are 18, 21, or even 25 we say we won't stop having fun, going out, etc. Since I've turned 30 I've realized I enjoy things I did not enjoy 10 years ago and I despise a lot of things 21 year olds do. I still go out a lot (we actually go out a lot more than most people out age - close down the bars, too!) but it seems like life has transitioned into wine parties and whatnot. We are probably on the "more fun" side of being 30 as most people we know stay home and watch movies or "Have to get up early to exercise!!11!!1"

If you are 30 or older I'm sure you have noticed it too. Is there a specific point in time where you said "I'm going to be ____" or was it a slow, gradual slide. I am trying to figure out why we change and what specifically makes us change. I'm not just talking about drinking, but likes, participation in various activities, etc. We don't have kids.

Last edited by mtowncyclone13; 10-21-2013 at 04:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by CycloneRulzzz View Post
    mtown is among the worst to ever play this game.

All-Star
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 740
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 3

Re: Slow transition into boring adulthood

Hangovers suck so much more when you actually have things that need done the following day.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registeredSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 577
    Given: 394

I'm not complaining about being boring. I actually have money now. I don't have to actually go out and do things anymore-- just knowing that I can do whatever I want is enough satisfaction for me. Occasionally I'll actually do the thing.

Hooper drives the boat, Chief
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,492
    Given: 131

Quote Originally Posted by mtowncyclone13 View Post
    When we are 18, 21, or even 25 we say we won't stop having fun, going out, etc. Since I've turned 30 I've realized I enjoy things I did not enjoy 10 years ago and I despise a lot of things 21 year olds do. I still go out a lot (we actually go out a lot more than most people out age - close down the bars, too!) but it seems like life has transitioned into win parties and whatnot. We are probably on the "more fun" side of being 30 as most people we know stay home and watch movies or "Have to get up early to exercise!!11!!1"

If you are 30 or older I'm sure you have noticed it too. Is there a specific point in time where you said "I'm going to be ____" or was it a slow, gradual slide. I am trying to figure out why we change and what specifically makes us change. I'm not just talking about drinking, but likes, participation in various activities, etc.
    having kids makes a huge difference. If having kids does not slow down your social life or change your habits, then you're not doing it right.

Louis C.K. does a great bit about putting your kids in the car, and how the 7 seconds of peace between when you close the child's door, and walk around the car to open your own door, is better than any vacation you've ever had.

"What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

"Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

"Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum

Addict
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 180
    Given: 91

Slow gradual slide, sped up by kids. It's not that kids make you old right away, it's just that you end up doing so much for them, that coming home and sitting in front of the TV doing nothing sounds like a lot better proposition than going out and lighting it up a bit. Sports practices, games, always running around, how do I get them fed as well, getting them to school on time before I head to work. It just makes it so that you have to look at the trade offs. I do miss being able to go out regularly, but it's just not as nice as a quiet evening at home when you can just enjoy the family as a family and hang out together.

I have to admit though, the one thing I loved to do at 21 that you couldn't pay me to do now is go to a music festival. I loved the all-weekend party atmosphere, but now it just looks like a nightmare to me.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 256
    Given: 640

I'm with Janny on this. I partied till I was 31. Got married. Had a baby girl 11 months later. Party over.

"Just remember, what you choose to do with each day is very important because you are exchanging a day of your life for it" -ET

"I'm trying not to sweat the small stuff in my life, but there is a definite learning curve." -CE

Speechless
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 419
    Given: 122

The older I get, the more I find I prefer doing things than having things. I guess I've kind of always been that way, but it was more of an innate thing that I had never fully identified. It seems to me that most people pursue careers and better themselves financially in order to have nicer things, but I'm more interested in a level of financial freedom that allows me to do the things I want to do and have the experiences I want to have.

I do notice that a lot of people tend to think that once they reach a certain age, there are certain things they need to start doing, or stop doing, and that seems like a foreign concept to me. I hear people say things like "I'm too old to stay on someone's couch for a night, I need to be renting a hotel room". I think that's silly. If you don't enjoy staying at a friend's place when you're out of town, and prefer a hotel room, that's fine. But this idea that reaching an arbitrary point in lifespan dictates behavior is a silly one as far as I'm concerned.

I think life circumstances and your personal desires should dictate behavior more than some arbitrary external expectation.

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Addict
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 1,134
    Overall activity: 36.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 697
    Given: 411

Quote Originally Posted by Clonefan94 View Post
    I have to admit though, the one thing I loved to do at 21 that you couldn't pay me to do now is go to a music festival. I loved the all-weekend party atmosphere, but now it just looks like a nightmare to me.
    we don't have kids. none of our friends have kids.

my questions hits to your thought. what specifically changed your view on music festivals? was there a specific moment when you changed views or was it a slow gradual change?

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneRulzzz View Post
    mtown is among the worst to ever play this game.

Asst. Regional Manager
    Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 804
    Given: 782

We just trade off going to each others' houses now that most of our friends and us have friends.

Also, we prefer to order food in rather than eat in a restaurant (a 2 year old doesn't last that long).

I haven't been to a movie theatre since summer of 2011.

We do weekend trips now that are primarily in the midwest.

I can't eat like I used to in college....I feel sick if I don't balance my meals somewhat.

@RandomGeoFacts

Speechless
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 662
    Given: 373

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone1985 View Post
    Hangovers suck so much more when you actually have things that need done the following day.
    Nailed it! I still love to party and still do, probably more than most people my age with my work schedule (though no kids gives me alot more time to go out than many of my buddies). But I don't like to get nearly as drunk when I go out since hangovers can last multiple days now. And during the week I almost always have meetings in the morning so I can't just say screw it and come to work late or call in. So I like to hava few beers or red wine much more than taking shots of jaeger all night and drinking an 18 pack. The other thing I notice is wanting to actually relax on the weekend instead of going crazy. Being tired out and wanting to just grill out and have a beer or two on Friday so I can feel good on Saturday instead of closing down the bar.

I'd say its more of a slow gradual slide. Also still love playing sports but get a lot more sore and more injury prone as I get older, plus the accumulation of sports injuries when younger.

Legend
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 496
    Given: 360

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Janny View Post
    having kids makes a huge difference. If having kids does not slow down your social life or change your habits, then you're not doing it right.

Louis C.K. does a great bit about putting your kids in the car, and how the 7 seconds of peace between when you close the child's door, and walk around the car to open your own door, is better than any vacation you've ever had.
    My son was born in May 2012. Do you know how much more I love making a quick run to the grocery store now than I did two years ago?

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 779
    Given: 9

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone1985 View Post
    This is exactly when it happened for me. I've reached a point where when I've drank a decent amount I begin to ask myself if the hangover will be worth it if I continue to drink. Kind of a law of diminishing returns type thing. That voice didn't exist earlier in my life.

Things came to a "T" with me a few days after my son was born. My sister's wedding was 4 days after my second child's birth. I had quite a bit to drink at the wedding, much more than I had planned on at least. Nothing makes you swear to limit your drinking quite like a screaming newborn at 2:00 A.M., or the scorn of your wife when you refuse to help with a baby while dealing with an epic hangover.

Last edited by Clonefan32; 10-21-2013 at 03:26 PM.

Chile Mac is Back!
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 525
    Given: 1,118

I think part of it also (in addition to the great points raised already) is that it is hard to find friends to do some of the same things anymore. I still am ready to go out and toss a football around almost anytime and hang, but good luck finding others to do it consistently.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 779
    Given: 9

Quote Originally Posted by MNCyGuy View Post
    My son was born in May 2012. Do you know how much more I love making a quick run to the grocery store now than I did two years ago?
    I had to drive from Des Moines to Prairie du Chien for work on Friday. Having a 3 year old and a 4 month old, I have never enjoyed driving a car so much in my life. There was a good hour and a half I turned the radio off and just drove in silence.

All-Star
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,171
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 50
    Given: 125

It's called growing up. It happens to all(well most of) us. I think once you have a serious relationship(get married) the bar or the "hunt" is over and there goes the bar scene. Mr. Janny is right, once you have kids Doing things for yourself takes a backseat, and it becomes more about seeing the world through your kids eyes. Sure, you have to take breaks and do things for yourself/wife every now and again, but largely, your world starts to revolve around them. It's kind of funny how things change as the number of kids grows. from 1 to 2 things get much harder... add the third, really not much worse. Then you add the fourth and things get exponentially harder. Add the fifth, not a big deal.

In many ways having kids lets me relive my own childhood. I get to experience all of the firsts again vicariously through my kids... and what's best I get to guide them through ithings, instead of stumble through things like I felt I did as a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Cycl1 View Post
    seriously who says "cowl"?