Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

DM REG. INVESTIGATING ASSAULT STORY..

Here is from the Register.

Documents: At least week between initial U of I sexual assault probe, police investigation

TOM WITOSKY • Copyright 2007, Des Moines Register & Tribune Co. • December 7, 2007

* Read Comments(2)
    * Recommend
    * Print this page
    * E-mail this article

* Share this article:
    * Del.icio.us
    * Facebook
    * Digg
    * Reddit
    * Newsvine
    * What’s this?

University of Iowa athletic officials completed their initial investigation into an alleged sexual assault linked to members of the Iowa football team at least a week before law enforcement searched the dormitory where the alleged assault took place.

Though the U of I was not required by its own policies to inform police of the alleged assault, federal law requires universities to encourage reporting — and a law enforcement official has said any delay could inhibit an investigation.
    Advertisement

The U of I released 18 pages of documents related to the alleged assault this afternoon in response to requests from media under the Iowa Open Records Law.

One of the documents shows that Mary Curtis, U of I associate athletic director for compliance, met with the victim and her father before Nov. 8 — the earliest e-mail correspondence in documents released today that indicated university involvement in the case before a police complaint was filed.

Curtis, in an e-mail to U of I public safety director Chuck Green, said investigative reports were “turned over to the General Counsel’s Office and EOD (Office of Equal Opportunity and Diversity).”

Iowa Department of Criminal Investigation officials did not search the Hillcrest Residence Hall dormitory, site of the alleged assault, until the following week.

Jim Saunders, a spokesman for the Iowa DCI, previously told The Register that any delay in accessing a potential crime scene inhibits an investigation.

"It is always better for our investigators to get to a crime scene as soon as possible after a crime has been committed," Saunders said.

But a U.S. Department of Education handbook advising schools on how to comply with a law enacted by Congress in 1990, now known as the Clery Act, says: "Your policy must encourage individuals to report all crimes to campus police and police agencies ... in a timely manner."

E-mails also indicated the father of the alleged victim asked for and received copies of internal documents related to sexual harassment and assault polices at U of I.

The father, a Curtis e-mail indicated, “seemed to have a good level of comfort and understanding with the options presented within and to his daughter.”

The document also seems to indicate, for the first time, that the alleged victim is a U of I athlete. The alleged victim’s name was not included in the documents and The Register does not publish names of victims without their consent, unless the victim files a civil suit.

According to the Curtis e-mail, the document “Sexual Assault Resource and Referral Options” was given to the family because the policy is something “we distribute internally AND give to all of our student-athletes for when we discuss sexual assault and harassment during their annual certification meetings.”

University officials have kept silent on what actions they took in response to the allegations because of the current criminal investigation being conducted by the University of Iowa campus police and the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation.

Johnson County Attorney Janet Lyness is overseeing the probe.

Questions about the university’s potential handling of the assault has been targeted by members of the Board of Regents, who have questioned whether university policies are adequate and whether they were followed.

A campus police report filed Nov. 5 and made public Nov. 7 indicates that an incident occurred between 2 a.m. and 6 a.m. Oct. 14 and that there is an active investigation of third-degree sexual assault — a Class C felony, punishable by up to 10 years in prison and a $10,000 fine.

The university previously released a statement indicating that three U of I football players were questioned in connection with the alleged assault, but neither police nor university representatives have identified the players or characterized why they were questioned.

No charges have been filed.

Two female students have told The Des Moines Register that they saw freshman defensive back Abe Satterfield of Erie, Pa., and freshman running back Jevon Pugh of Naples, Fla., with the alleged victim, on a bench in front of Hillcrest during the time of the alleged assault, as outlined in police reports.

The women, who characterized themselves as friends of Satterfield and defensive back Cedric Everson of Detroit, said they saw Satterfield and Pugh at about 3 a.m. the morning of the alleged incident with the woman.

Everson was inside Hillcrest at that time, the women, Ventara Dillon and Eva Terry, said in independent interviews.

Satterfield and Everson were removed without explanation from active participation with the team Oct. 23. Pugh is in good standing with the team and suited up for the last game of the season.

The delay between the date of the alleged assault and the start of the police investigation has raised questions about how much university and athletic officials knew before the police report was filed — and how effective a criminal investigation will be.

Green, the U of I public safety director, said he knew nothing about the case until the initial report was filed with his office.

"I assure you, before Nov. 7, we didn't know about this victim, didn't know her name and had no names of suspects or any connection between suspects and her," Green said. "You have to remember that victims of sexual assault have the right not to report to police, and that is what she wanted."

The public safety department received a "rape kit" from U of I Hospitals on Oct. 14, according to Green, but it was marked as being from a victim who chose not to talk to police.

"The service record says that the victim 'doesn't wish to be identified at this time,' " Green said.

Five search warrants obtained by investigators were sealed for 60 days by Johnson County Judge Amanda Potterfield on Nov. 16.

Both the U of I university and athletic departments have procedures for dealing with allegations of sexual abuse.

Under the university policy, those situations are to be reported to the Office of the Vice President for Student Services if the allegations are against a student and the conduct occurred in a residence hall.

Once a formal complaint is filed, it is then investigated by the Office of Equal Opportunity and Diversity, which can hold hearings to determination whether a violation occurred.

There is no provision in the school's policies requiring university officials to notify law enforcement agencies of an alleged assault.

Campus disciplinary action, which could include suspension or expulsion from school, is then to be determined by the Office of Vice President of Student Services and the dean of students.

The athletic department policy mirrors the university policy, except at the initial stages.

Complaints are reviewed by Curtis, the U of I athletic department sexual harassment compliance officer, and Fred Mims, director of athlete-student services. If they determine that a formal complaint is to be filed, the complaint is forwarded to the Office of Equal Opportunity and Diversity, which conducts the investigation.

Check back to DesMoinesRegister.com later today — and read more about this story in tomorrow’s newspaper.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 5

Re: DM REG. INVESTIGATING ASSAULT STORY..

Green, the U of I public safety director, said he knew nothing about the case until the initial report was filed with his office.

"I assure you, before Nov. 7, we didn't know about this victim, didn't know her name and had no names of suspects or any connection between suspects and her," Green said. "You have to remember that victims of sexual assault have the right not to report to police, and that is what she wanted."
    And there you have it. Regardless of the reason, she did not report the crime. Let's give the "cover up" theories a rest. The university or AD did not conspire against this girl, and the fact that she's an athlete would back that up.

It's a very sad deal. Hopefully this all gets worked out soon, and the people who did this are punished in a fair and just way.

The artist formerly known as SouthernHawk

Speechless
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 95

Im sure Iowa fans are just waiting for 2009 football to roll around so they can finally get back on a roll.

Its been a real tough year.

and by the way i meant 2009

Speechless
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 37

So why was at least one player "not in good standing" immediately after this happened?

Addict
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,563
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    So why was at least one player "not in good standing" immediately after this happened?
    The way I took the article was that the university can punish the students by suspending them or expulsion w/o criminal charges being filed.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 37

Makes sense.

I just recall KF and/or Barta stating they were unaware of the crime until it was reported.

Walk On
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 221
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Yawn....

Addict
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,563
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    Makes sense.

I just recall KF and/or Barta stating they were unaware of the crime until it was reported.
    And if that was the case they were obviously lying out their teeth. There is no way that KF would suspend players from the team without a reason for why he was doing it.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cytech View Post
    And if that was the case they were obviously lying out their teeth. There is no way that KF would suspend players from the team without a reason for why he was doing it.
    But didn't you hear? There were NO COVER-UPS!

All-Star Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cytech View Post
    DING, DING, DING! Winnah, winnah, Chicken dinnah!

EVERYONE involved here, except the victim, are lying about what they knew and when they knew it. I'm wondering if basic logic is a requirement for working at EIU.

I'm not a big fan of "victims" being allowed to make the call on criminal activity, but it's kind of hard, with rape, to do it any other way.

But, both the University AND the PD knew of the "possibility" of criminal activity, and shouldn't try to pee on us and tell us that it's raining.

We're not that stupid, but obviously they think we are....

A ship in port is safe, but that is not what ships are built for.

A Man Is What He Does When It Counts

All-Star
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 788
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernHawk View Post
    And there you have it. Regardless of the reason, she did not report the crime. Let's give the "cover up" theories a rest. The university or AD did not conspire against this girl, and the fact that she's an athlete would back that up.

It's a very sad deal. Hopefully this all gets worked out soon, and the people who did this are punished in a fair and just way.
    but the FEDERAL law and EIU law don't mesh. I'll expect some changes to be made.

Pro
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 1,064
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

off topic, but did you hear Jake Christensen got kicked off the football team by KF for egging his house. KF was talkign to Michigan and so Jake got upset and went to egg KF's house. Through further investigation, they determined it was Jake cause all of KF's neighbors were egged and KF's house didn't have anything done to it.

Starter
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 512
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I find it astonishing that even after the Pierre Pierce fiasco they still don’t have policies that confirm to the Department of Education guidelines for complying with the Clery Act. One would think they would have learned from that experience, but I guess they are slow learners over there. At this point it seems clear that a) the athletics department knew about the incident almost immediately, and b) university guidelines do not confirm to Department of Education guidelines for reporting such incidents. Whether the university guidelines are in direct violation of federal law (the Clery Act) is not apparent to me, and whether something more insidious was going on behind the scenes is only speculation at this point (possibly well-reasoned speculation). But regardless, it is still another black mark for the University of Iowa.

Addict
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 1,583
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1
    The federal law doesn't require, only strongly encourages, schools to report stuff like this. Despite not following those guidelines, it doesn't appear to be in violation of federal law at this point, no matter how distasteful it is.

All-Star
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 688
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 1

ya look at thier unis with all those black marks u cant even see the original color-pink

"Day after day, situation after situation you do things the right way. If you do things the right way, in life, you are going to be successful. I'm not just your football coach; I'm not just here to win games. I could not be prouder of who we are and who we are becoming, together. You do things right in the classroom, off and on the field; that's whats's makes us Cyclones and that's what our culture's all about."
    -Paul Rhoads