Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 28

AppleBee's Call-in Reality Check

During Monday's call in show, someone asked when was the last time ISU won 8 or more?

Both Rhoads and Walters got it wrong and said "2000 and I think another one in 06-07." They were unclear and uncertain.

So I went to Iowa State Game by Game Results

And here's what I found:
    • Earl Bruce had three 8 win seasons in a row: 1976-1978. 1977 & 1978 ended in bowl losses and there was no bowl game in 1976.
    • Dan McCarney had one 9 win season 2000 with first bowl win is school history.
    • Johnny Majors had one 8 win season with bowl loss in 1971

Before that, crickets. Lots and lots of crickets unless you want to go back to an era before you were born.

So the posters railing and calling for everyone to get fired, come on.

Feeling bad about all the close losses? Go gander at yester-year's scores against softer schedules. Even the mighty Earl Bruce never won a bowl game - Rhoads has. And Bruce's 1973-1975 records were all 4-7 seasons. In an era when K st., KU and MU all typically sucked.

Last edited by ShopTalk; 10-16-2013 at 04:36 PM.

Recruit
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 63
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Re: AppleBee's Call-in Reality Check

It's easy to get restless when we have undoubtedly the best fan support for the worst team in the country. The best fan support we have had in Iowa States football history, the best facilities, and probably the best athletic department support in our time. It's year 5 for Rhoads and staff, we should be showing signs of life after a moderately successful start to Rhoads tenure. KState, KU, TCU, and most recently Baylor have had very competitive and high win % seasons in the last 5 years while we are stuck with all of this fan horsepower and no room to gallop. It's frustrating, and rightfully so. It's not time to give up, although you can say goodbye to a good portion of our fan base for a few years. If next year is not a bowl year, as much as I love Paul Rhoads, a major shake up needs to happen, even if it just Paul cleaning house a little bit.

All-Star
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 742
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 42
    Given: 113

Our history shocks me with its awfulness every time I look at it, so I'd rather ignore.

On a more positive note from the call-in show, someone asked Rhoads to point out of few of the impressive players redshirting. He went on about how spectacular of a leader Lanning has been. Then after that, he mentioned in passing that he has canon for and arm, good accuracy and is a great runner. Running back Tyler Brown is only second to Wimberly for quickness and explosiveness and has been very impressive. Cotton-Moya could have played this year if he didn't get hurt. Vernell Trent has impressed on the d-line. Glenn and Campos have been impressive and Glenn has even taken many reps with the two deeps. He had more to say about others but I can't remember.

Cy has balls of steel.

All-Star
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 421
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 28

BBHMagic, That was another great Q&A from the call-in. I liked that he had a long list of names. That sounds promising for the future.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 628
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 53
    Given: 17

OK, I understand 8 wins is tough this year. Can we have 7? 6? 5? 4? 3?

Two?

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 166
    Given: 267

Quote Originally Posted by ShopTalk View Post
    During Monday's call in show, someone asked when was the last time ISU won 8 or more?

Both Rhoads and Walters got it wrong and said 2000 and I think another one in 06-07.
    I'm confused. 2000 is the last time we won 8 or more games isn't it?

Starter
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 387
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 41

Quote Originally Posted by ShopTalk View Post

Both Rhoads and Walters got it wrong and said 2000 and I think another one in 06-07.

So I went to Iowa State Game by Game Results

And here's what I found:
    • Earl Bruce had three 8 win seasons in a row: 1976-1978, but ALL ended in bowl losses.
    • Dan McCarney had one 9 win season 2000 with first bowl win is school history.
    • Johnny Majors had one 8 win season with bowl loss in 1971

Before that, crickets. Lots and lots of crickets unless you want to go back to an era before you were born.

So the posters railing and calling for everyone to get fired, come on.

Feeling bad about all the close losses? Go gander at yester-year's scores against softer schedules. Even the mighty Earl Bruce never won a bowl game - Rhoads has. And Bruce's 1973-1975 records were all 4-7 seasons. In an era when K st., KU and MU all typically sucked.
    ???????????????????????????????????????????????????

Legend
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 298
    Given: 253

Quote Originally Posted by Freebird View Post
    ???????????????????????????????????????????????????
    Yeah, I noticed that myself... Maybe the OP doesn't realize that 9>8?

Also, it isn't really fair to say that Earl bruce never won a bowl game but Rhoads has. bowl games and bowl wins mean a whole lot less now than they did in the 70s. If bowl games had meant the same in the 70s he'd have bowl wins.

Starter
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 608
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 4

Quote Originally Posted by Cyked15 View Post
    It's easy to get restless when we have undoubtedly the best fan support for the worst team in the country. The best fan support we have had in Iowa States football history, the best facilities, and probably the best athletic department support in our time. It's year 5 for Rhoads and staff, we should be showing signs of life after a moderately successful start to Rhoads tenure. KState, KU, TCU, and most recently Baylor have had very competitive and high win % seasons in the last 5 years while we are stuck with all of this fan horsepower and no room to gallop. It's frustrating, and rightfully so. It's not time to give up, although you can say goodbye to a good portion of our fan base for a few years. If next year is not a bowl year, as much as I love Paul Rhoads, a major shake up needs to happen, even if it just Paul cleaning house a little bit.

I think Rhoads has proven that he is not afraid to make changes to his coaching staff. It seems like most years, if we have had a position group really struggle, he would either move the coaches around or bring in someone different............much like moving Bleil and bringing in Klenakis this year.

Legend
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 298
    Given: 253

Quote Originally Posted by BirdOfWar View Post
    I think Rhoads has proven that he is not afraid to make changes to his coaching staff. It seems like most years, if we have had a position group really struggle, he would either move the coaches around or bring in someone different............much like moving Bleil and bringing in Klenakis this year.
    Moving the coaches around is, if anything, worse. It means he sees the problem but rather than fixing it he tries to hide it.

Starter
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 608
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 4

Quote Originally Posted by Judoka View Post
    Moving the coaches around is, if anything, worse. It means he sees the problem but rather than fixing it he tries to hide it.

He may have trouble attracting other assistants if he doesn't give people opportunities to succeed, IMO. So I have no issue with him moving them first before possibly getting rid of them.

All-Star
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 300
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 45
    Given: 37

When I read the thread title I was expecting a rant about Applebee's curbside service.

Yeah TOAST!!!

Pro
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 653
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 33

It's easy to say that Year 5 is the make or break year. Yes, for big time programs, it's a pivotal year. But we're Iowa State. We were extremely terrible under Chizik.

Let's imagine that you're a prospective commit. Yes, this team beat Nebraska but got hammered by EIU 3-35, won against terrible Baylor and Colorado, NDSU and Kent State. Ended up going to the bowl with 7-6 record. You might wonder whether this would be a one season wonder or whether it would be a continuous progress.
    Following year, similar thing happened: this team beat Texas but got hammered against Utah, Oklahoma, lost to Texas Tech, Missouri. Same question.

So my point is: our program is not a traditional program where coaches can pick and choose commits and therefore, their 5th year would be when their commits should have developed. Prospective players/commits would like to see progress. Yes, beating Nebby, Texas and OSU helps, but for some recruits, that might not be enough.

Take Kansas for example: they went to Orange Bowl in 2007 and another bowl in 2008. But after that, they have been horrible. You can see that the Mark Mangino saga didn't help, but Turner Gill was one of the hottest candidates for all big coaching jobs when he got hired. Theoretically: Kansas should be loaded in 2009,10, 11 and 12 at least after they went 11-1, right? But that didn't happen because it was an overnight success, not a continuous progress. A lot of people (including some of us Fanatics) saw it as a result of favorable schedule (no Texas or OU, playing against weak Nebby that ended up 5-7, Ron Prince-coached K-State).

We're Iowa State: it's not an excuse, but we have to be realistic. Some decisions might have to be made but even next year, I don't think a major shake up needs to happen (depending how you define "major").

Pro
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 1,056
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 65
    Given: 79

Quote Originally Posted by Cyked15 View Post
    Disagree. We have built up a fan base that at this point will never dip to the levels we saw in the late '90's or earlier. We may not have record-breaking season ticket sales every single year but we are always going to have a relatively good % of Jack Trice sold for our games.

"It's appropriate for leaders sometimes to move boldly against the flow of public opinion," she said. "That's called leadership." --- Sarah Swisher (D), Superdelegate, Iowa City

Pro
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 1,126
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 137
    Given: 97

I think the tricky thing with CPR's tenure is the good/bad of the Big 12. In the old days, he would be benefiting from the North schedule, 4 non-con, etc and we'd likely be having more success....BUT, we likely wouldn't have the new facility, ability to pay him and assistants, etc.

Like other posters have said, based on our history, I am ok with a slower upward curve. Yes, for other "big" programs, year 5 may be make or break or the leash may be smaller, but I just don't think we can think that way. Like some have "pondered" what if Harbaugh would have been here instead of Chizik...we may have been like KU...two years of success, but then emptied back out.

I do believe in CPR and his staff....but also think that he (and JP) know that things may need to be adjusted...and we seem to be making week to week adjustments that are working, just need maybe "season to season" adjustments. Like it or not, they know better than us...one prime example is David Irving...look the thread up, when we moved him inside this board mostly thought the staff was crazy, etc.