Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 87
  1. #1
    Pro
    Points: 131,695, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    stateofmind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    2,543
    Points
    131,695
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 66

    Are we better off?

    So a friend of mine and I were talking at church yesterday. He mentioned that he and another friend of his believe that we are no better off now then we were with McCarney. I get it, he is very frustrated. In fact after going to Memphis, he decided he is done buying football tickets until he sees a better product. To that I said that I wish others felt that way so that my tickets don't keep going up, and my parking doesn't get further away from the stadium. (Although I love seeing the stadium full for all of these games)

    So I did some very minimal research, (Wikipedia):
    McCarney's records 56-86 and 27-68
    Overall 39.7 Win%
    Conference 28 Win%

    New facilities:
    -Jacobsen
    -Bergstrom
    -Natural Field
    -Press Box

    Rhoads' records 25-31 and 12-24
    Overall 44.6 Win%
    Conf 33 Win%

    New Facilities
    -Football Only Facility
    -Video board
    -Suites/Concourses
    -Cafeteria in Jacobsen
    -Season ticket sales outselling total tickets during previous regimes. Why? Because gameday is SO MUCH BETTER now than ever before. Not just because of the video board, but the product on the field is in almost every game now.

    I don't have the time or motivation to research strength of schedule over these seasons. Nor do I know the point spreads of wins and losses, but I think you would find big disparities here as well.

    Believe me, I'm a huge McCarney fan, so this isn't bashing him. I'm trying to point out why most of us believe in CPR and what his staff is accomplishing here. We'll see what happens with the offensive staff after this year.

    What do you guys say? Are we way better off, just a bit better off, or just the same?



  2. #2
    Starter
    Points: 21,591, Level: 44
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 59
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Topshelf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    810
    Points
    21,591
    Level
    44
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 17

    Re: Are we better off?

    Yes, we are better off. Strength of schedule would show a lot. Remember, we also had the North and South back then as well.



  3. #3
    Speechless
    Points: 267,998, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    isuno1fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Clive, Iowa
    Posts
    17,362
    Points
    267,998
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 10

    Re: Are we better off?

    Yes....

    Is your friend named TornadoMan by chance?



  4. #4
    Speechless
    Points: 401,312, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    alarson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    West Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    20,862
    Points
    401,312
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 137
    Given: 47

    Re: Are we better off?

    I dont think its easy to compare the two. Mccarney got to compete under the 8 game conference schedule that avoided half of the south teams and got to feast on a relatively weak big 12 north.

    And yes, the environment is a hell of a lot better, but thats been a buildup that started under mccarney, and has been led in large part by pollard as well, and rhoads' upsets have helped as well. A lot of joint credit for that.



  5. #5
    Addict
    Points: 184,925, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Bret44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Hampton, IA
    Posts
    7,769
    Points
    184,925
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 712
    Given: 353

    Re: Are we better off?

    First 5 years

    DM - 13-42
    PR - 25-31 (Against Stiffer competition)

    Yes we are better off.


    “They're very, very hard to guard,” Notre Dame head coach Mike Brey said. “They're really good. And with Niang in the middle kind of wheeling and all those guys spreading you out, they're kind of a nightmare matchup. And they're men. They're really men.”


  6. #6
    Addict
    Points: 116,941, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    bellzisu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Norwalk
    Posts
    6,363
    Points
    116,941
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 8

    Re: Are we better off?

    Did you see how many people were in the stands for the last few games in the McCarney era??? Probably not because I almost had my whole section to myself.... Enough said...


    GDMCC Member follow us on twitter @dmcyclub

  7. #7
    All-Star
    Points: 97,240, Level: 97
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 1,810
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    MartyFine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Warren Co., IA
    Posts
    1,363
    Points
    97,240
    Level
    97
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 3

    Re: Are we better off?

    Quote Originally Posted by stateofmind View Post
    So a friend of mine and I were talking at church yesterday. He mentioned that he and another friend of his believe that we are no better off now then we were with McCarney. I get it, he is very frustrated. In fact after going to Memphis, he decided he is done buying football tickets until he sees a better product. To that I said that I wish others felt that way so that my tickets don't keep going up, and my parking doesn't get further away from the stadium. (Although I love seeing the stadium full for all of these games)

    So I did some very minimal research, (Wikipedia):
    McCarney's records 56-86 and 27-68
    Overall 39.7 Win%
    Conference 28 Win%

    New facilities:
    -Jacobsen
    -Bergstrom
    -Natural Field
    -Press Box

    Rhoads' records 25-31 and 12-24
    Overall 44.6 Win%
    Conf 33 Win%

    New Facilities
    -Football Only Facility
    -Video board
    -Suites/Concourses
    -Cafeteria in Jacobsen
    -Season ticket sales outselling total tickets during previous regimes. Why? Because gameday is SO MUCH BETTER now than ever before. Not just because of the video board, but the product on the field is in almost every game now.

    I don't have the time or motivation to research strength of schedule over these seasons. Nor do I know the point spreads of wins and losses, but I think you would find big disparities here as well.

    Believe me, I'm a huge McCarney fan, so this isn't bashing him. I'm trying to point out why most of us believe in CPR and what his staff is accomplishing here. We'll see what happens with the offensive staff after this year.

    What do you guys say? Are we way better off, just a bit better off, or just the same?
    I shouldn't dignify this with a response, but anyone that believes that ISU is not better off now has not been following ISU football very long. Additionally, they do not remember the monumental struggle of Dan McCarney's first 5 years. Also, they do not remember the facilities back in those days (off season workouts were held in State Gym after Mac's first season for crying out loud). Finally, they also forget that we did not have crowds of 50,000+ for every home game (those were considered rare and very large crowds in those days) and they do not remember the pre-CGC days.

    ISU still faces a struggle in this conference and in this recruiting territory, but it isn't impossible to play winning football here. People should think about what they say and look at this team using reason rather than reactionary emotion.



  8. #8
    Pro
    Points: 45,942, Level: 66
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 1,008
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    HoopsTournament's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    St. Joseph, MO
    Posts
    2,418
    Points
    45,942
    Level
    66
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 113
    Given: 84

    Re: Are we better off?

    Also, we were getting blown out regularly in McCarney's days. We don't get blown out regularly today. Building a program like Iowa State takes time and takes baby steps.



  9. #9
    Starter
    Points: 18,659, Level: 41
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 291
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    bfross's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Posts
    856
    Points
    18,659
    Level
    41
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Are we better off?

    Programs like ISU cannot afford to prematurely pull the ripcord. If losses of 8, 6, 1, and 7 pts with a team riddled by injuries at several key positions is the bottom falling out for a Rhoads-coached team, sign me up for more. Beats the hell out of getting beat by 40 every game like ISU has been known to do in past seasons.



  10. #10
    Addict
    Points: 152,125, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    weR138's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    7,297
    Points
    152,125
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 3

    Re: Are we better off?

    Quote Originally Posted by stateofmind View Post

    What do you guys say? Are we way better off, just a bit better off, or just the same?
    I suppose it's all in your perspective but if you like making more money, having better facilities, winning more games and being generally more competitive you'd say we're way better off now.

    Now, if we go 1-11 this season and don't have a season that makes up for it in a big way next season we should all take a moment to take stock of where the program is at that point. But that would be at the end of the 2014 season...


    RIP Janice
    b. April 2012 d. April 2012
    9 posts
    May perpetual light shine upon him.

  11. #11
    Pro
    Points: 48,821, Level: 68
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 929
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    BoxsterCy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Golden Valley, MN
    Posts
    2,876
    Points
    48,821
    Level
    68
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 82
    Given: 43

    Re: Are we better off?

    Different era, different situation, different expectations, different facilities. We shouldn't be competing or measuring against what McCarney did or did not do. I don't put much stock into what was other than to note that the second half of the Earl Bruce tenure showed what is possible but not achieved in the last 35 years. Until we can win more and not finish at the bottom of the conference every year than better than yesterday or not better than yesterday doesn't mean squat.



  12. #12
    Facebook Knows All
    Points: 269,490, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    cycloneworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NE Oklahoma
    Posts
    15,961
    Points
    269,490
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 78
    Given: 23

    Re: Are we better off?

    Check out this link and then ask if you think we are better off:

    Iowa State 2003 Schedule - Cyclones Home and Away - ESPN

    Or maybe this one:

    Iowa State 2006 Schedule - Cyclones Home and Away - ESPN

    We were regularly getting throttled week in and week out.



  13. #13
    Addict
    Points: 152,125, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    weR138's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    7,297
    Points
    152,125
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 3

    Re: Are we better off?

    Quote Originally Posted by BoxsterCy View Post
    Different era, different situation, different expectations, different facilities. We shouldn't be competing or measuring against what McCarney did or did not do. I don't put much stock into what was other than to note that the second half of the Earl Bruce tenure showed what is possible but not achieved in the last 35 years. Until we can win more and not finish at the bottom of the conference every year than better than yesterday or not better than yesterday doesn't mean squat.
    I'm glad you said this. Every Cyclones fan that say we can't _______ needs to have a look at EB's last three seasons and Bill Snyder's body of work.


    RIP Janice
    b. April 2012 d. April 2012
    9 posts
    May perpetual light shine upon him.

  14. #14
    Pro
    Points: 54,543, Level: 72
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 1,007
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    intrepid27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Marion, IA
    Posts
    2,470
    Points
    54,543
    Level
    72
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 20

    Re: Are we better off?

    I think we are way ahead of the DM years. I see much better depth and more playmakers on the roster. This WILL equate to wins sooner or later. Dan's Achilles heel was he could not capitalize on success IMHO. When he had a lead in a game he would curl up like a opossum. When he had winning seasons he could not improve recruiting. I do not see those flaws in CPR.



  15. #15
    Starter
    Points: 18,659, Level: 41
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 291
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    bfross's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Posts
    856
    Points
    18,659
    Level
    41
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Are we better off?

    Quote Originally Posted by weR138 View Post
    I'm glad you said this. Every Cyclones fan that say we can't _______ needs to have a look at EB's last three seasons and Bill Snyder's body of work.
    I don't think Rhoads is done showing what he can do with ISU. Schools like ISU are tough in that you could have a superstar for a coach and as soon as he moves on or retires, chances are that you won't be able to sustain success. Outside of his first year, OSU fans would say Earle Bruce failed there. Even with a determination to have a successful football program, KSU will likely fall back after Snyder retires.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 06:00 PM