Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 199
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 2

New Texas Leadership Within a Year - Do We Care? Are We Worried?

This thread may not ever have an appropriate time as a thread (especially after a loss) but….here goes:

What happens when TX and Mack Brown part ways, and they get a new AD w/in 6 months and they are off and running again? What happens to the rest of the Big XII, or at least the ‘little Big XII’ aka the North side of the conference, with a new outlook and a new crew directing the show in Austin?

The reason why I bring this up is this SI article: Texas Longhorns: Sizing up the state of the athletic department - College Football - Pete Thamel - SI.com earlier this week which somewhat touched on these issues.

If you haven’t read it, it is quite an interesting read about what Thamel says are some of the internal dealing’s with UT Athletics, plus the overall way the TX Governor and Legislature are handling the state’s ‘Flagship School’ plus various anecdotes by ‘anonymous’ NFL execs, scouts, etc and the nature of TX’s players now and their ‘softness.’

So what does this have to do with us at ISU? Well, I think a lot.

IF, and it’s somewhat of an “IF,” Texas regains its dominance over the majority of the Big XII in the big sports (football, basketball) after big splashy hires, and it’s Longhorn Network finally takes off, does UT feel that it needs to ‘stick around,’ or does it join/take/entice TT, OU, OSU, and Baylor to go with them to another conference (SEC? PAC-99 EAST DIVISION) for either more $$$, more prestige, or both? Or what happens if they stay 'mediocre' by UT standards?

Referencing the article above, ‘a lot of the Conference (BIG XII) exec’s and AD’s are worried about who TX is going to get for their premiere positions, and how that’s going to affect the power structure of the league.'

So my few questions for others to discuss, 1): Does this even affect ISU if TX gets a so-called ‘Super Hire” for their next Football HC and their new AD besides obvious wins/losses and UT getting more $ in their Athletic Department’s coffer?

2) IF IT DOES AFFECT US, throwing out the ‘grant of rights’ and the 10-year deal the Big XII signed w/ Fox Sports for one minute, does it affect us now, in a few years, or when the ten-year deal runs out and we go through 2010 all over again?

3) How much do you think continued football ‘success’ for ISU (6-8 win seasons, 9 wins as a total outlier thus far), either keeps us in a power-conference going down the road, or are we relegated to being ‘the little brother’ for all time? Because honestly, we saw how much impact winning basketball programs had on realignment…

I’m glad we have JP at the helm and he’s made all the right moves, said the right things, and as he even put it earlier this year, ‘held on for dear life’ during all of the conference realignment stuff. So either I'm just searching for something to be worried about in seven years or thinking too much after a loss?

Last edited by brutodd; 10-12-2013 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Shortening & punctuation

All-Star
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 224
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 19

Re: New Texas Leadership Within a Year - Do We Care? Are We Worried?

Quote Originally Posted by brutodd View Post
    This thread may not ever have an appropriate time as a thread (especially after a loss) but….here goes:

What happens when TX and Mack Brown part ways, and they get a new AD w/in 6 months and they are off and running again? What happens to the rest of the Big XII, or at least the ‘little Big XII’ aka the North side of the conference, with a new outlook and a new crew directing the show in Austin?

The reason why I bring this up is this SI article: Texas Longhorns: Sizing up the state of the athletic department - College Football - Pete Thamel - SI.com earlier this week which somewhat touched on these issues.

If you haven’t read it, it is quite an interesting read about what Thamel says are some of the internal dealing’s with UT Athletics, plus the overall way the TX Governor and Legislature are handling the state’s ‘Flagship School’ plus various anecdotes by ‘anonymous’ NFL execs, scouts, etc and the nature of TX’s players now and their ‘softness.’

So what does this have to do with us at ISU? Well, I think a lot. For starters, we will never know all the back-door dealings with OU and UT and the associated ‘Southern Big XII” schools during all the expansion talk two and three years ago, but it’s somewhat safe to assume that with UT and OU not willing to bail on the Big XII (for whatever reason(s)), they kept us in a BCS Conference.

IF, and it’s somewhat of an “IF,” Texas regains its dominance over the majority of the Big XII in the big sports (football, basketball) after big splashy hires, and it’s Longhorn Network finally takes off, does UT feel that it needs to ‘stick around,’ or does it join/take/entice TT, OU, OSU, and Baylor to go with them to another conference (SEC? PAC-99 EAST DIVISION) for either more $$$, more prestige, or both?
    Referencing the article above, ‘a lot of the Conference (BIG XII) exec’s and AD’s are worried about who TX is going to get for their premiere positions, and how that’s going to affect the power structure of the league.”

So my few questions for others to discuss, 1): Does this even affect ISU if TX gets a so-called ‘Super Hire” for their next Football HC and their new AD besides obvious wins/losses and UT getting more $ in their Athletic Department’s coffer?

2) IF IT DOES AFFECT US, throwing out the ‘grant of rights’ and the 10-year deal the Big XII signed w/ Fox Sports for one minute, does it affect us now, in a few years, or when the ten-year deal runs out and we go through 2010 all over again?

3) How much do you think continued football ‘success’ for ISU (6-8 win seasons, 9 wins as a total outlier thus far), either keeps us in a power-conference going down the road, or are we relegated to being ‘the little brother’ for all time? Because honestly, we saw how much impact winning basketball programs had on realignment…

And 4) Why did KU get a look according to this guy: Realignment, expansion not out of the question | sports.omaha.com (who has a good rap by the way for being an award-winning journalist) from the Big 10 and we didn’t? I mean they have a beyond-reproach Basketball pedigree but football leaves something ‘lacking…’ to put it mildly.

I’m glad we have JP at the helm and he’s made all the right moves, said the right things, and as he even put it earlier this year, ‘held on for dear life’ during all of the conference realignment stuff. In other words, what can WE as FANS do to help ensure our beloved ‘Clones continue to battle the UT’s and OU’s and OSU’s of the world, while looking for a persistent and winning programs in all areas?
    Anything? Or am I just searching for something to be worried about in seven years?
    i talked to a Texas fan after the Texas game, and a lot of them think Mack will move up to AD at the end of season. The rest was too long to read. I have a short attention span.

I am a patient boy. I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait...
    http://www.mapcon.com/US-EN/CMMS-Software

Pro
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 706
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 10

I skimmed your post, but I think Texas problems won't have any effect on the conference for the next couple of years. The reason I say that is because Deloss Dodds has spent a good chunk of his tenure orchestrating Texas into a "brand" rather than focusing on actual on-field performance. The new AD will not only have to correct the football program, but also clean up a scandal heavy track program and also right the ship in the basketball programs. Not to mention the new AD has to do all of this while putting a product that ESPN can sell on the LHN. I am almost wondering if Texas doesn't go outside the box with their new AD hire and instead go with a "CEO"- type hire to run the business-side of things and then create a "GM" type position that would be the face of Texas athletics. I think Mack would be a great hire for the latter position, but I don't think there is a current AD out there that can fix all of UTs woes.

edit: I guess to answer your question, I think the new AD at Texas is going to focus more on fixing Texas than they will about conference realignment/D4.

Last edited by 3GenClone; 10-12-2013 at 08:14 PM.

Recruit
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by 3GenClone View Post
    I am almost wondering if Texas doesn't go outside the box with their new AD hire and instead go with a "CEO"- type hire to run the business-side of things and then create a "GM" type position that would be the face of Texas athletics. I think Mack would be a great hire for the latter position, but I don't think there is a current AD out there that can fix all of UTs woes.

edit: I guess to answer your question, I think the new AD at Texas is going to focus more on fixing Texas than they will about conference realignment/D4.
    Sorry for the lengthy post I agree w/ the above totally. Although Mack has 'gone on record' at least according to some of the commentary I heard today, of not wanting to be an AD.

Good stuff - things I ponder when I'm almost-done dealing w/ the loss today

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 81.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,006
    Given: 536

Texas is Texas. A change creates opportunity.

Starter
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 648
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 4

Honestly, I could give two craps about the Ca$h Cow$ plus it was too long and I'm tired so I didn't read the b.s..

Cyclone fan since 1964 and proud of it!

Keepers of the Faith -- Member

Addict
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 1,403
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 212
    Given: 33

This is obviously hard to predict because we have no idea who will be hired as their AD and head coach, but Texas especially, and to a lesser degree OU will always have big implications on ISU and the B12. I will say this, if the B12 keeps slipping in national recognition and prestige, Texas and OU will be looking for a way out eventually. Texas is not going to become 2nd fiddle in their own state and if they may blame A&M's success and their failure on the B12.

Opinions change over time, and the Texas fan base may want out as bad as some of the other schools did recently if they can't get their FB program back into NC contention.

All I do know, is that the B12 is very dysfunctional as a league, and took a shellacking in the whole realignment fiasco.

Unless the ACC falls apart and we can somehow get some of their top tier schools to jump aboard the B12, I see this conference crumbling within 10 years.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 95
    Given: 19

Could give two ***** about what Texas does or does not do.

Recruit
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by acgclone View Post
    This is obviously hard to predict because we have no idea who will be hired as their AD and head coach, but Texas especially, and to a lesser degree OU will always have big implications on ISU and the B12. I will say this, if the B12 keeps slipping in national recognition and prestige, Texas and OU will be looking for a way out eventually. Texas is not going to become 2nd fiddle in their own state and if they may blame A&M's success and their failure on the B12.
    THIS!

Thanks for the input; not trying to stir the pot at all, just thinking long term. But you're right, a lot we don't know and won't know until it happens. I just tend to think that if UT continues to 'lag' behind aTm as a perception, change will be made. And that affects us.

Quote Originally Posted by isuno1fan View Post
    Could give two ***** about what Texas does or does not do.
    Haha I really could too! However, I just know that they are a proverbial power player in the whole college atmosphere and can make or break 'smaller' schools' affiliations (Us, KState) and conference alignments w/ a simple 'yes or no do we stay in X, Y, or Z."

Like I said above, not wanting to stir the pot or anything, and I'm glad we have the people at the helm that we do (JP and Pres. Leath), both of which I'm sure have already thought about all this.

Just trying to start a convo - thanks!

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 446
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 9

So who is to say change for the Big 12 will necessarily be negative? With 10 teams it is easier for us to wheel and deal than for a 14 or 16 team conglomerate. We are making money. We have survived when our backs were against the wall. That is a big deal. We also have a lot of freedom in developing brands and exploring LHN type options. Maybe we'll offer an attractive package to a LSU or Florida State some day. Remember fans like watching Big 12 football, and basketball.

All-Star
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 591
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 43
    Given: 6

Quote Originally Posted by brutodd View Post

So what does this have to do with us at ISU? Well, I think a lot.

IF, and it’s somewhat of an “IF,” Texas regains its dominance over the majority of the Big XII in the big sports (football, basketball) after big splashy hires, and it’s Longhorn Network finally takes off, does UT feel that it needs to ‘stick around,’ or does it join/take/entice TT, OU, OSU, and Baylor to go with them to another conference (SEC? PAC-99 EAST DIVISION) for either more $$$, more prestige, or both? Or what happens if they stay 'mediocre' by UT standards?

Referencing the article above, ‘a lot of the Conference (BIG XII) exec’s and AD’s are worried about who TX is going to get for their premiere positions, and how that’s going to affect the power structure of the league.'

I’m glad we have JP at the helm and he’s made all the right moves, said the right things, and as he even put it earlier this year, ‘held on for dear life’ during all of the conference realignment stuff. So either I'm just searching for something to be worried about in seven years or thinking too much after a loss?
    This again? Really?

They will probably hire Oliver Luck as their AD. They are not going anywhere that does not allow them to have the Longhorn Network (so they are not going anywhere). They will probably make very good hires for football, basketball, and baseball.

End of story.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 57.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 284
    Given: 243

Maybe we will not have to worry about Notre Dame to be included in further realignment.

Maybe we can add a couple more teams with Horn support.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Addict
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranRecommendation Second Class

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 98
    Given: 35

@McMurphyESPN: Oliver Luck asked about Texas AD job: "I prefer not to comment on that"

Addict
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 727
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 51
    Given: 0

The best thing for ISU may just be for Texas to be down for a few years. With a new AD and a weakened national perception, I think the conference could really work to get some parity between members.

But this probably is just a pipe dream and we should be lucky to have Texas continue to rule over us.

Addict
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 97
    Given: 414

Oliver Luck will be the AD before Mack Brown ever is. Willing to put money on it.