Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 37
  1. #16
    Legend
    Points: 204,581, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    dmclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    50131
    Posts
    13,412
    Points
    204,581
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 234
    Given: 339

    Re: Caseys Gas Question

    I also just switched from dino to full synthetic so I'll probably be getting around 88 mpg :)



  2. #17
    Pro
    Points: 70,459, Level: 82
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 991
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Cyclones_R_GR8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    3,352
    Points
    70,459
    Level
    82
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 229
    Given: 423

    Re: Caseys Gas Question

    I noticed that in Omaha 87 and 89 are both ethanol blends and premium is the only one without the junk. (At least at BP)


    They say country music speaks to the heart. Unfortunately, it has to go through your ears to get there.

  3. #18
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 109,078, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    ruxCYtable's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    4,019
    Points
    109,078
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 213
    Given: 238

    Re: Caseys Gas Question

    Quote Originally Posted by dmclone View Post
    I also just switched from dino to full synthetic so I'll probably be getting around 88 mpg :)
    I'd suggest sending samples to Black Stone Labs every oil change until you settle on a comfortable oil change interval. With synthetic you can go a long way in a lot of applications and really save a lot of money in the long run. I'm currently going 7500 miles per oil change on NAPA synthetic (made by Valvoline) but I'm contemplating switching to Pennzoil Platinum or Ultimate and could possibly go even longer.

    Blackstone Labs



  4. #19
    Legend
    Points: 204,581, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    dmclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    50131
    Posts
    13,412
    Points
    204,581
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 234
    Given: 339

    Re: Caseys Gas Question

    Quote Originally Posted by ruxCYtable View Post
    I'd suggest sending samples to Black Stone Labs every oil change until you settle on a comfortable oil change interval. With synthetic you can go a long way in a lot of applications and really save a lot of money in the long run. I'm currently going 7500 miles per oil change on NAPA synthetic (made by Valvoline) but I'm contemplating switching to Pennzoil Platinum or Ultimate and could possibly go even longer.

    Blackstone Labs
    I've heard a little bit about blackstone and am going to go with 7k mile oil changes based on what others with similar motors have seen.



  5. #20
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 109,078, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    ruxCYtable's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    4,019
    Points
    109,078
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 213
    Given: 238

    Re: Caseys Gas Question

    Quote Originally Posted by dmclone View Post
    I've heard a little bit about blackstone and am going to go with 7k mile oil changes based on what others with similar motors have seen.
    I have a friend who went to twice a year oil changes regardless of mileage. He does it in April and October so he doesn't have to be working on his car when it's really cold. He's usually at 7-8k per OCI. I might start doing that as well although I log a bit more miles than him.



  6. #21
    All-Star
    Points: 32,177, Level: 55
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 873
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Altoona, IA
    Posts
    1,971
    Points
    32,177
    Level
    55
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 53
    Given: 102

    Re: Caseys Gas Question

    Quote Originally Posted by ruxCYtable View Post
    I'd suggest sending samples to Black Stone Labs every oil change until you settle on a comfortable oil change interval. With synthetic you can go a long way in a lot of applications and really save a lot of money in the long run. I'm currently going 7500 miles per oil change on NAPA synthetic (made by Valvoline) but I'm contemplating switching to Pennzoil Platinum or Ultimate and could possibly go even longer.

    Blackstone Labs
    If you are going that far between changes, you can probably spring for Mobil1 full synthetic.



  7. #22
    Addict
    Points: 323,356, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    00clone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Iowa City area
    Posts
    8,447
    Points
    323,356
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,435
    Given: 382

    Re: Caseys Gas Question

    Quote Originally Posted by ruxCYtable View Post
    I'd suggest sending samples to Black Stone Labs every oil change until you settle on a comfortable oil change interval. With synthetic you can go a long way in a lot of applications and really save a lot of money in the long run. I'm currently going 7500 miles per oil change on NAPA synthetic (made by Valvoline) but I'm contemplating switching to Pennzoil Platinum or Ultimate and could possibly go even longer.

    Blackstone Labs

    ????What the heck for? Looked up these folks by your link. It's $25 per test, and you're changing every 7500 miles. My MFR recommended interval is 5K for one vehicle (2005, now at about 101K miles), 10K for the other (2011 at about 22K). I spend about $30 for a full synthetic oil/filter DIY oil change/tire rotation at MFR intervals, which, averaging the two...comes out to your interval without paying the $25 per test.



  8. #23
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 109,078, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    ruxCYtable's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    4,019
    Points
    109,078
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 213
    Given: 238

    Re: Caseys Gas Question

    Quote Originally Posted by 00clone View Post
    ????What the heck for? Looked up these folks by your link. It's $25 per test, and you're changing every 7500 miles. My MFR recommended interval is 5K for one vehicle (2005, now at about 101K miles), 10K for the other (2011 at about 22K). I spend about $30 for a full synthetic oil/filter DIY oil change/tire rotation at MFR intervals, which, averaging the two...comes out to your interval without paying the $25 per test.
    My suggestion was to run a couple tests until you settle on a good interval, then stop testing and stick with that interval. You should be able to tell after 2-3 tests how many miles you can get out of a particular oil in your application.

    PS-By sticking with your MFR interval you might be costing yourself money. What if the oil you are changing every 5K could actually go 10K or more? A couple of $25 tests can tell you that and you can stop wasting perfectly good oil.


    Last edited by ruxCYtable; 10-10-2013 at 07:46 AM.

  9. #24
    Addict
    Points: 180,855, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Marshalltown
    Posts
    9,914
    Points
    180,855
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 111
    Given: 108

    Re: Caseys Gas Question

    Quote Originally Posted by ruxCYtable View Post
    My suggestion was to run a couple tests until you settle on a good interval, then stop testing and stick with that interval. You should be able to tell after 2-3 tests how many miles you can get out of a particular oil in your application.

    PS-By sticking with your MFR interval you might be costing yourself money. What if the oil you are changing every 5K could actually go 10K or more? A couple of $25 tests can tell you that and you can stop wasting perfectly good oil.
    Or buy from a dealer where you get free oil changes for life



  10. #25
    Addict
    Points: 323,356, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    00clone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Iowa City area
    Posts
    8,447
    Points
    323,356
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,435
    Given: 382

    Re: Caseys Gas Question

    Quote Originally Posted by ruxCYtable View Post
    My suggestion was to run a couple tests until you settle on a good interval, then stop testing and stick with that interval. You should be able to tell after 2-3 tests how many miles you can get out of a particular oil in your application.

    PS-By sticking with your MFR interval you might be costing yourself money. What if the oil you are changing every 5K could actually go 10K or more? A couple of $25 tests can tell you that and you can stop wasting perfectly good oil.

    Except your engine changes over time, so perhaps the interval drops after a while, but you're still changing at the long interval. Likewise, let's say an engine life span of 200,000 miles. Some go longer, a lot go less. My 2005 vehicle, let's say I started when brand new. As I stated, MFR is 5K miles. At $30 for a DIY oil change (which I enjoy doing and like to take a look and see how things look) the entire cost of oil changes is $1200. You spent $75 for a few tests during one portion of your engine's life span and assume that's good over the life, or spend more to be sure, and let's say you get to 10K interval. You saved $600 in oil changes over the live of the vehicle (let's say 15 years, comes out to $40 a year). If they are wrong, and the engine is destroyed, I'm either going to spend several thousand for a new engine, or spend 20K plus for a replacement vehicle. Even if it's not that severe, extending the interval beyond the serviceable life of the oil can cause excessive wear on the the rings and piston walls, reducing mileage. It don't take much of a hit in mileage to eat up your $40 a year savings. Finally, if you have an issue and are still under MFR warranty and they find out you are changing beyond recommendations, they'll at least fight you on not honoring the warranty.

    While I understand the concept, to me, it's good information that has little real value when you look at true risk/reward or cost/benefit. I guess I equate it to people who drive 20 miles out of their way to save $2 at a different grocery store. To each their own, but I don't see the value, personally.



  11. #26
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 109,078, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    ruxCYtable's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    4,019
    Points
    109,078
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 213
    Given: 238

    Re: Caseys Gas Question

    Quote Originally Posted by 1100011CS View Post
    Or buy from a dealer where you get free oil changes for life
    You mean the kind where they pop on a new filter and top off but don't really change the oil? Or tell you they changed it but really didn't? Or maybe actually change it every 4th or 5th time you bring it in?

    That's the kind of stuff that goes on with those "free" dealer oil changes. One of my best friends was a service manager for GM.



  12. #27
    Addict
    Points: 180,855, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Marshalltown
    Posts
    9,914
    Points
    180,855
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 111
    Given: 108

    Re: Caseys Gas Question

    Quote Originally Posted by ruxCYtable View Post
    You mean the kind where they pop on a new filter and top off but don't really change the oil? Or tell you they changed it but really didn't? Or maybe actually change it every 4th or 5th time you bring it in?

    That's the kind of stuff that goes on with those "free" dealer oil changes. One of my best friends was a service manager for GM.
    My best friend's cousin's dad says you're wrong.



  13. #28
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 2,851, Level: 15
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 199
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    236
    Points
    2,851
    Level
    15
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 0

    Re: Caseys Gas Question

    Quote Originally Posted by 00clone View Post
    Finally, if you have an issue and are still under MFR warranty and they find out you are changing beyond recommendations, they'll at least fight you on not honoring the warranty.
    I'm not sure he was arguing the fact that you shouldn't follow manufacturer recommendations while under warranty. I'm think Blackstone wouldn't even recommend you stray away from mfr suggestions under warranty.



  14. #29
    Addict
    Points: 109,760, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    JP4CY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sommerset
    Posts
    6,182
    Points
    109,760
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 239
    Given: 99

    Re: Caseys Gas Question

    Quote Originally Posted by 1100011CS View Post
    My best friend's cousin's dad says you're wrong.

    My best friends girl says you are right about the Cars.



  15. #30
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 109,078, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    ruxCYtable's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    4,019
    Points
    109,078
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 213
    Given: 238

    Re: Caseys Gas Question

    Quote Originally Posted by JP4CY View Post

    My best friends girl says you are right about the Cars.
    This song makes me think of Phoebe Cates.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Fox Sports 1
  • Iowa State vs. Kansas State
  • September 6, 2014
  • 11:00 AM