Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 84
    Given: 104

The NFL's Concussion Crisis

I got my DVR set for PBS tonight.

Very compelling story about the Pathology reports of players and the response by NFL lawyers (I'm thinking 'cover up'). This could accelerate the discussion of safety and maybe the future policy of football at the NCAA level.

The Autopsy That Changed Football | League of Denial: The NFL's Concussion Crisis | FRONTLINE | PBS

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 1,105
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 545
    Given: 829

Re: The NFL's Concussion Crisis

I am sick of this. They play football a contact sport and know they can get hurt that's the risk you take if you want to play. I knew it was a risk when I was playing and got 3 concussions but the risk was worth it. Now I racecars and know I could die or get seriously hurt but to me I am ok with that risk.

Starter
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 806
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 39

They are having similar talks with boxers and fighters in hockey. There was an interesting article in the New York Times last year on Derek Boogard who died last year.

Starter
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 806
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 39

Hooper drives the boat, Chief
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,347
    Given: 117

Quote Originally Posted by isufbcurt View Post
    I am sick of this. They play football a contact sport and know they can get hurt that's the risk you take if you want to play. I knew it was a risk when I was playing and got 3 concussions but the risk was worth it. Now I racecars and know I could die or get seriously hurt but to me I am ok with that risk.
    I think the documentary focuses on a time when not everyone knew that concussions were such a risk, and discusses whether the NFL withheld, suppressed, and/or knowingly misinformed players about it. That is a story worth investigating.

"What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

"Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

"Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum

Speechless
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,403
    Given: 662

Yeah, the worship of safety is ridiculous. Yes, spend money to understand the problems and engineer better helmets,but at some point you have to recognize that it is a physical game with inherent risks, and that risk is accepted by those who play.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,817
    Given: 190

The point was not everyone knew the risks and the NFL allegedly withheld information indicating the risk of concussions.

Addict
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 783
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

The NFL paid Three Quarters of a Billion Dollars to deal with future brain concussion issues. The NCAA doesn't have this kind of jack protect its athletes, but I can see the Liability Lawyers frothing at the mouth and lining up.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 80.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,212
    Given: 2,520

There's a reason that football players and other athletes are highly compensated. There is an inherent risk of any type of injury.

A lot of these issues arise because players aren't smart with their money and go broke shortly after their playing career is over. It's worsened by the fact that many of those players did not take school seriously and have no ability to make a living other than sports.

The one thing I do think should happen is that the NFL should cover players with health insurance for at least a while if they have a certain amount of tenure.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Janny View Post
    I think the documentary focuses on a time when not everyone knew that concussions were such a risk, and discusses whether the NFL withheld, suppressed, and/or knowingly misinformed players about it. That is a story worth investigating.
    What's most disturbing from the report is that the NFL used 'strong arm' tactics to get a medical researcher to withdraw his paper from a scientific journal, and tried to ridicule him publicly because they were worried it would, "be the end of football" as we know it.

All-Star
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 843
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 53
    Given: 42

Quote Originally Posted by Go2Guy View Post
    What's most disturbing from the report is that the NFL used 'strong arm' tactics to get a medical researcher to withdraw his paper from a scientific journal, and tried to ridicule him publicly because they were worried it would, "be the end of football" as we know it.
    And they were right. Which is the biggest thing I hate about this concussion stuff. Like curt said, it's a dangerous sport and there is no way to protect guys without taking contact out of it. I don't like all these rules protecting certain players, in certain situations. It's too slippery of a slope.

I have no problem with trying to learn everything possible about concussions and making everybody who wants to play aware of it, but at a certain point you just have to let them make their decision to take part in a dangerous activity. They make a ton of money for doing it, there's nobody forcing them to play, so why do we need to change the game so much?

Speechless
    Overall activity: 80.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,212
    Given: 2,520

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneGB View Post
    And they were right. Which is the biggest thing I hate about this concussion stuff. Like curt said, it's a dangerous sport and there is no way to protect guys without taking contact out of it. I don't like all these rules protecting certain players, in certain situations. It's too slippery of a slope.

I have no problem with trying to learn everything possible about concussions and making everybody who wants to play aware of it, but at a certain point you just have to let them make their decision to take part in a dangerous activity. They make a ton of money for doing it, there's nobody forcing them to play, so why do we need to change the game so much?
    Exactly, if you told every incoming rookie during orientation that there is a chance they could get injured or concussed and it would affect their future health after football, 99% of them would still play.

Walk On
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 368
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by cyhiphopp View Post
    Exactly, if you told every incoming rookie during orientation that there is a chance they could get injured or concussed and it would affect their future health after football, 99% of them would still play.
    That's the point - the NFL wasn't telling people they would/could have future health issues. They were telling players that concussions had no affect on future health all while having evidence that it DID have an affect on future health.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Folks, we're talking about "Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy' - one doesn't have to be a doctor, but look at the pathology slides of the footballers who died from this - as per the report tonight. How much money does one need to be paid to endure living with a dysfunctional brain - we're not talking an ACL injury here?

And what about college players who are not getting paid and have no trust fund to help them deal with the induced injuries when they hit their 50s?
    Finally, I'm not calling to shut down the sport, just saying...they are studying the issue and the results are not very encouraging.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 36.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 555
    Given: 357

Looks like they will have to draft even better waiver statements starting with pee wee football. The problem is not the big hits per the lawyers on TV today, but the number of body hits. That would eliminate a lot of practice and serve to begin the down trend of the sport. Flag football anyone with no blocking? Politically correct MSNBC is pushing the big book coming out this morning.

League of Denial: The NFL, Concussions and the Battle for Truth, Fainaru-Wada, Mark: ARCHIVE : Walmart.com

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.