Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 223

Thread: Redskins

  1. #91
    All-Star
    Points: 16,206, Level: 38
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 244
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    JHUNSY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    1,207
    Points
    16,206
    Level
    38
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 368
    Given: 498

    Re: Redskins

    Quote Originally Posted by tm3308 View Post
    I've never said differently. But people think that just because it's offensive that it has to go. That's not true. It only has to go if the NFL/Redskins say so. People can protest/complain all they want, but it's going nowhere unless the league feels like it's in the best interest of the NFL.

    Considering how long this has dragged on, I doubt we're going to see it changed anytime soon.
    Fair point and I agree.



  2. #92
    Hooper drives the boat, Chief
    Points: 645,651, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 63.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Mr Janny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    25,571
    Points
    645,651
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,193
    Given: 397

    Re: Redskins

    Quote Originally Posted by JHUNSY View Post
    I was simply implying by using the word protected that he isn't fully so. Yes, his rights protect his speech. However, He is not immune from the league constitution and still has to conduct himself within those boundaries. I just wouldn't consider them protected by the first amendment in that situation anymore because they can still end up losing their franchise regardless of legal rights.

    Do you think Sterling has a case to sue his way back into the NBA? If he does, which I think he very well may, then you would be able to phrase that they are protected by the first amendment.
    No you wouldn't. It's simply not a first amendment issue. Whether or not Donald Sterling is able to maintain his ownership of he Clippers has absolutely zero to do with Free Speech and everything to do with the strength of the NBA's constitution.


    "What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

    "Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

    "Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum

  3. #93
    All-Star
    Points: 16,206, Level: 38
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 244
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    JHUNSY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    1,207
    Points
    16,206
    Level
    38
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 368
    Given: 498

    Re: Redskins

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Janny View Post
    No you wouldn't. It's simply not a first amendment issue. Whether or not Donald Sterling is able to maintain his ownership of he Clippers has absolutely zero to do with Free Speech and everything to do with the strength of the NBA's constitution.
    Which is why I said that they weren't protected in that sense in the first place.



  4. #94
    Hooper drives the boat, Chief
    Points: 645,651, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 63.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Mr Janny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    25,571
    Points
    645,651
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,193
    Given: 397

    Re: Redskins

    Quote Originally Posted by JHUNSY View Post
    Which is why I said that they weren't protected in that sense in the first place.
    Ok, my bad then. I thought you were saying that if Sterling successfully sued to maintain ownership of the team then you could say that the First Amendment protected him.


    "What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

    "Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

    "Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum

  5. #95
    Legend
    Points: 133,223, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    cyclones500's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    11,597
    Points
    133,223
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 886
    Given: 1,802

    Re: Redskins

    This may re-focus the discussion a bit:

    Change the Mascot ad


    Bass Lake Beacon: The best in local news satire

  6. #96
    Speechless
    Points: 248,337, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 65.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Rabbuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    18,274
    Points
    248,337
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,687
    Given: 143

    Re: Redskins

    Should be the Washington Admiral Ackbars.



  7. #97
    Pro
    Points: 18,992, Level: 42
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 858
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    WooClone15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Madison, Wi
    Posts
    2,256
    Points
    18,992
    Level
    42
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 549
    Given: 911

    Re: Redskins

    There's also a new survey out saying Native Americans do find the name offensive.
    http://cips.csusb.edu/docs/PressRelease.pdf



  8. #98
    Asst. Regional Manager
    Points: 300,754, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 65.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    mj4cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    20,249
    Points
    300,754
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,386
    Given: 1,637

    Re: Redskins

    Quote Originally Posted by gocubs2118 View Post
    So, you're in favor of racism?

    i'm just going to go ahead and say you're kidding right?



    im sure people will find something new to be offended about no matter the outcome.


    @RandomGeoFacts

  9. #99
    Rookie
    Points: 4,310, Level: 19
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 340
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    BeachAve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    454
    Points
    4,310
    Level
    19
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 123
    Given: 36

    Re: Redskins

    I read some where that the 'Redskins' nickname was derived from their war paint--not the natural skin color ....fwiw

    I think the Cleveland Indians logo is much more controversial



  10. #100
    Hooper drives the boat, Chief
    Points: 645,651, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 63.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Mr Janny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    25,571
    Points
    645,651
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,193
    Given: 397

    Re: Redskins

    Quote Originally Posted by BeachAve View Post
    I read some where that the 'Redskins' nickname was derived from their war paint--not the natural skin color ....fwiw

    I think the Cleveland Indians logo is much more controversial
    There's some debate over what it originally was supposed to mean. One thing that it definitely was not was an honor to former coach and native American, Lone Star Dietz, regardless of what Dan Snyder might say.

    http://thinkprogress.org/sports/2014...ive-americans/


    "What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

    "Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

    "Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum

  11. #101
    Addict
    Points: 66,847, Level: 80
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 1,203
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    WalkingCY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    5,316
    Points
    66,847
    Level
    80
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 248
    Given: 414

    Re: Redskins

    The real question should be, "why do some of their fanbase dress like hogettes?" I mean, it's kinda crazy and cool at the same time.







    I guess they could just be the HOGS. That would be kinda cool.



  12. #102
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 55,179, Level: 72
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 371
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,568
    Points
    55,179
    Level
    72
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 225
    Given: 156

    Re: Redskins

    Quote Originally Posted by WooClone15 View Post
    There's also a new survey out saying Native Americans do find the name offensive.
    http://cips.csusb.edu/docs/PressRelease.pdf
    Haven't read thru all the posts so sorry if this has been discussed. While I don't necessarily think the term redskin is racist, I do think it's derogatory to say the least. I've read enough history books on the old west and watched enough cowboy movies to know that the term redskin was almost always preceded by something bad like "dirty redskins", "thievin redskins". "bloodthirsty redskins", etc. Pretty understandable why most native Americans would find it offensive and/or racist.



  13. #103
    Pro
    Points: 18,992, Level: 42
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 858
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    WooClone15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Madison, Wi
    Posts
    2,256
    Points
    18,992
    Level
    42
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 549
    Given: 911

    Re: Redskins

    Quote Originally Posted by CYKOFAN View Post
    Haven't read thru all the posts so sorry if this has been discussed. While I don't necessarily think the term redskin is racist, I do think it's derogatory to say the least. I've read enough history books on the old west and watched enough cowboy movies to know that the term redskin was almost always preceded by something bad like "dirty redskins", "thievin redskins". "bloodthirsty redskins", etc. Pretty understandable why most native Americans would find it offensive and/or racist.
    Yeah I understand that, and I think tzjung had good anologies to what names would be similar. I was more posting this because earlier in this thread there was a conversation that native americans didn't find the name offensive, and this survey disputes that.



  14. #104
    Hooper drives the boat, Chief
    Points: 645,651, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 63.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Mr Janny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    25,571
    Points
    645,651
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,193
    Given: 397

    Re: Redskins

    Quote Originally Posted by CycloneRulzzz View Post
    US Patent and Trademark office withdrew team trademark canceled. Too bad it doesn't mean much really. Means other people can profit from using the name which means little because who wants to be associated with that name.
    I don't know. Someone will try to profit off of it, possibly to use against Snyder. Someone will try to get cute with it. Can you imagine a line of "Redskins brand feminine hygiene products?" This is provided that the decision survives an appeal, of course. But still, it's not an insignificant decision.


    "What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

    "Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

    "Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum

  15. #105
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 96,998, Level: 96
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 52
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Incyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    4,355
    Points
    96,998
    Level
    96
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 590
    Given: 80

    Re: Redskins

    Quote Originally Posted by CycloneRulzzz View Post
    US Patent and Trademark office withdrew team trademark canceled. Too bad it doesn't mean much really. Means other people can profit from using the name which means little because who wants to be associated with that name.
    That's ludicrous. The licensing rights of an NFL brand are extraordinary valuable.


    “Science investigates; religion interprets. Science gives man knowledge, which is power; religion gives man wisdom, which is control. Science deals mainly with facts; religion deals mainly with values. The two are not rivals. They are complementary.”

    Martin Luther King Jr.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Cyclones.TV
  • FOOTBALL: Iowa State vs. UNI
  • September 5, 2015
  • 07:00 PM