Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 266
    Given: 34

Re: Redskins

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    But like I said, in that report I saw most Native Americans don't care. Who does care are a bunch of white people that feel like they have to atone for the sins of their great great great grandparents by making issues of things that essentially aren't.

Let's expand upon this further. Do they use a creepy mascot that makes mockery of Native American traditions? No. Do the fans do a bunch of stupid crap in the stands that makes mockery of Native American culture? Not that I'm aware of. Is it just the team name and identity and nothing further? Yes.

"It was like going on vacation to go play Iowa." - Coach Johnny Orr

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 89.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,367
    Given: 85

I don't really care much one way or the other. But the argument that not many Native Americans are offended is a bad one.

All-Star
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 83
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 212
    Given: 344

Quote Originally Posted by Gnomeborg View Post
    That's a really good video

Pro
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 404
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37
    Given: 236

that's why they should be proud what a honor to have a team name for you and with akll the respect given

Addict
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 341
    Given: 318

Personally, I think the only reason this should or will be changed is if the NFL forces it to happen. The Redskins/NFL are a private enterprise, entitled to make their own decisions on how the league is presented. If any negative image threatens to harm the image of the Redskins/NFL, and they're okay with that, then there's nothing that needs to be done, IMO.

“Hawks tell us we have no future, and we let you know what we think of Hawk fans, which is a lower opinion all the time.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

“With the exception of tm3308. He is a good contributor on this site. It is almost to the point that I question if he is actually a hawk fan. ” -- Cyclonestate78 7/25/2011

“He broke the mold. If he wrote the OP, I would have read the whole thing.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

Starter
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 22
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 64
    Given: 124

When I own an NFL team I can't wait to name it the 'Des Moines Dead Beat Micks' or the 'Cedar Rapids Crackers' or the 'Waterloo White Trash' or the 'Charles City Chinks' or the 'Johnston Japs'.

All of these would equate to the term Washington Redskins.....

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by tzjung View Post
    When I own an NFL team I can't wait to name it the 'Des Moines Dead Beat Micks' or the 'Cedar Rapids Crackers' or the 'Waterloo White Trash' or the 'Charles City Chinks' or the 'Johnston Japs'.

And you'd be well within your rights to do so.

“Hawks tell us we have no future, and we let you know what we think of Hawk fans, which is a lower opinion all the time.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

“With the exception of tm3308. He is a good contributor on this site. It is almost to the point that I question if he is actually a hawk fan. ” -- Cyclonestate78 7/25/2011

“He broke the mold. If he wrote the OP, I would have read the whole thing.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

Starter
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 22
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 64
    Given: 124

Quote Originally Posted by tm3308 View Post
    And you'd be well within your rights to do so.
    Riiiiigggghhhttttt.............that would be awesome and appropriate.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Riiiiigggghhhttttt.............that would be awesome and appropriate.
    You'd be a dick for doing it, but there would be no legal basis to make you change it. The First Amendment protects offensive speech, too.

Pro
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 537
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 560
    Given: 302

I'm not for opportunistic politicians looking to score points by jumping on this issue; they have more important things to attend to. But I don't like how Dan Snyder and Bruce Allen try to spin it either. That poll they keep citing is a decade old. And they ignore the strong formal opposition to the nickname that has come from the NCAI, which represents somewhere in the neighborhood of a couple hundred different tribes in the US. I get that Snyder can call the team whatever he wants; there's no law against being a stubborn a-hole.
    Redskin is a derogatory term for Native Americans; no way around that. If Snyder and Co. choose to ignore that, fine. But at least be honest about why. Don't make ******** claims that Redskin is a badge of honor, or that it's tradition, or that most Native Americans don't care or don't find the term offensive. Just say you don't want to change it because you're a stubborn, insensitive *****.

All-Star
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 210
    Given: 0

Might not go how you think it would...

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?...ighting_Whites

The plan to insult whites in the same way the minority students perceived Native Americans being insulted backfired on the group when the team's popularity skyrocketed.*

Rookie
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 364
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 97
    Given: 170

You'd be a dick for doing it, but there would be no legal basis to make you change it. The First Amendment protects offensive speech, too.
    Signed Donald Sterling.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by JHUNSY View Post
    Signed Donald Sterling.
    He wasn't forced out by anything remotely resembling the U.S. government. The NBA kicked his *** to the curb because Silver felt those comments hurt the Clippers and the NBA. The NBA, like the NFL, is a private enterprise and has the freedom to kick someone out for what they say, if what they said can harm the business. Just like most of us could be fired if we say something wildly inappropriate. But it's not illegal, so the only way this name gets changed is if the NFL/Redskins feel like it's going to start hurting the bottom line.

Rookie
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 364
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 97
    Given: 170

He wasn't forced out by anything remotely resembling the U.S. government. The NBA kicked his *** to the curb because Silver felt those comments hurt the Clippers and the NBA. The NBA, like the NFL, is a private enterprise and has the freedom to kick someone out for what they say, if what they said can harm the business. Just like most of us could be fired if we say something wildly inappropriate. But it's not illegal, so the only way this name gets changed is if the NFL/Redskins feel like it's going to start hurting the bottom line.
    I was simply implying by using the word protected that he isn't fully so. Yes, his rights protect his speech. However, He is not immune from the league constitution and still has to conduct himself within those boundaries. I just wouldn't consider them protected by the first amendment in that situation anymore because they can still end up losing their franchise regardless of legal rights.

Do you think Sterling has a case to sue his way back into the NBA? If he does, which I think he very well may, then you would be able to phrase that they are protected by the first amendment.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by JHUNSY View Post
    I was simply implying by using the word protected that he isn't fully so. Yes, his rights protect his speech. However, He is not immune from the league constitution and still has to conduct himself within those boundaries. I just wouldn't consider them protected by the first amendment in that situation anymore because they can still end up losing their franchise regardless of legal rights.

Do you think Sterling has a case to sue his way back into the NBA? If he does, which I think he very well may, then you would be able to phrase that they are protected by the first amendment.
    I've never said differently. But people think that just because it's offensive that it has to go. That's not true. It only has to go if the NFL/Redskins say so. People can protest/complain all they want, but it's going nowhere unless the league feels like it's in the best interest of the NFL.

Considering how long this has dragged on, I doubt we're going to see it changed anytime soon.