Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,166
    Given: 2,225

Re: ***Week 5***

Quote Originally Posted by AdamJGray View Post
    History actually shows the opposite. Has he failed at the end of games? Yes, but so have others. He's also led more comebacks than every QB in the NFL except Eli Manning.

The criticism of Romo, for the most part, is completely off base. He's been a really good QB with a really bad O line throughout his career. Stats don't lie.
    I agree with your point, but I'm pretty sure you're wrong him having the 2nd most comebacks behind Eli. I believe Romo is also behind: P. Manning, E. Manning, Drew Brees, Tom Brady, and Ben Roethlisberger.

Starter
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 404
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

History actually shows the opposite. Has he failed at the end of games? Yes, but so have others. He's also led more comebacks than every QB in the NFL except Eli Manning.

The criticism of Romo, for the most part, is completely off base. He's been a really good QB with a really bad O line throughout his career. Stats don't lie.
    1-3 in the playoffs, 0-3 when a win puts the Cowboys in the playoffs. Enough said, really.

Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. - George Carlin

All-Star
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 801
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 408
    Given: 267

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonesince78 View Post
    I agree with your point, but I'm pretty sure you're wrong him having the 2nd most comebacks behind Eli. I believe Romo is also behind: P. Manning, E. Manning, Drew Brees, Tom Brady, and Ben Roethlisberger.
    Since he became a starter. Somewhat skewed obviously as Manning and Brady rarely are behind.

twitter.com/adamjgray17

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISUpadre View Post
    1-3 in the playoffs, 0-3 when a win puts the Cowboys in the playoffs. Enough said, really.
    Look at what Peyton Manning did his first 5 years in the league and his playoff numbers and record.

I'm not saying Romo is Manning. I'm just saying the criticism for him is over the top for the kind of QB he is. He's a really good QB.

twitter.com/adamjgray17

Starter
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Since he became a starter. Somewhat skewed obviously as Manning and Brady rarely are behind.
    Here's how stats work - sometimes they don't. Here's an example of one of Romo's 'comebacks'.

2007:

Week 5 at Buffalo (W 25-24) – You had to watch this game live to believe it. Buffalo fans were ecstatic to be back on Monday Night Football, and Romo threw four interceptions in the first half (two returned for touchdowns). He turned the ball over six times in the game. In the fourth quarter, down 24-16, Romo lost a fumble, then threw an interception in the red zone. Finally he led the 80-yard touchdown drive late, but his two-point conversion pass was defensed in the end zone. Dallas recovered the onside kick, and Romo still had 0:18. He completed two short passes, and Nick Folk kicked a 53 yard game-winning field goal (twice even; timeout before the first). It was ugly, but it somehow became a victory.

Starter
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Look at what Peyton Manning did his first 5 years in the league and his playoff numbers and record.

I'm not saying Romo is Manning. I'm just saying the criticism for him is over the top for the kind of QB he is. He's a really good QB.
    No, he really isn't. He puts up stats. He's not a QB you can rely on to make the play when it matters most. And, he has not been a good leader for Dallas.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 68.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,825
    Given: 4,139

Stats are for you know what. In professional sports your measured mainly on championships and under Romo the Cowboy's haven't even come close to even making it to a Super Bowl.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Here's how stats work - sometimes they don't. Here's an example of one of Romo's 'comebacks'.

2007:

Week 5 at Buffalo (W 25-24) – You had to watch this game live to believe it. Buffalo fans were ecstatic to be back on Monday Night Football, and Romo threw four interceptions in the first half (two returned for touchdowns). He turned the ball over six times in the game. In the fourth quarter, down 24-16, Romo lost a fumble, then threw an interception in the red zone. Finally he led the 80-yard touchdown drive late, but his two-point conversion pass was defensed in the end zone. Dallas recovered the onside kick, and Romo still had 0:18. He completed two short passes, and Nick Folk kicked a 53 yard game-winning field goal (twice even; timeout before the first). It was ugly, but it somehow became a victory.
    That was 6 years ago when he was a 2nd year starter.

No, he really isn't. He puts up stats. He's not a QB you can rely on to make the play when it matters most. And, he has not been a good leader for Dallas.
    He's the best player in NFL history in the 4th quarter. Your comment that he isn't a player you can rely on to make plays when it matters most doesn't make sense when he is the best of all time when it matters the most.

I'm not saying he is perfect. I'm not saying he's above some criticism. I'm not saying the guy hasn't had some awful passes at the end of ball games. I'm simply saying the criticism of him is over the top for the kind of player he has been. He's been a very good QB with an awful line and a coach who is learning on the job.

The difference between winning and losing in the NFL is so slim. 2 years ago Alex Smith was minutes away from leading SF to the Super Bowl. Their punt returner fumbled and they lost. People start asking, "Can Alex Smith lead SF to the Super Bowl." He loses his job the next year and everyone credits Kaepernick for leading SF to the Super Bowl. In reality he wasn't any better than Smith was.

twitter.com/adamjgray17

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 847
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 183
    Given: 128

ATL's defense is terrible.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 68.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,825
    Given: 4,139

wow atl finally gets lead late then jets come back and steal in back. nice monday night game.

Addict
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registeredSocialOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,185
    Given: 3,393

Quote Originally Posted by azepp View Post
    ATL's defense is terrible.
    Had their defense. of course Geno goes off.

Naz Long, the Cowboy Killer

Starter
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

That was 6 years ago when he was a 2nd year starter.

He's the best player in NFL history in the 4th quarter. Your comment that he isn't a player you can rely on to make plays when it matters most doesn't make sense when he is the best of all time when it matters the most.

I'm not saying he is perfect. I'm not saying he's above some criticism. I'm not saying the guy hasn't had some awful passes at the end of ball games. I'm simply saying the criticism of him is over the top for the kind of player he has been. He's been a very good QB with an awful line and a coach who is learning on the job.

The difference between winning and losing in the NFL is so slim. 2 years ago Alex Smith was minutes away from leading SF to the Super Bowl. Their punt returner fumbled and they lost. People start asking, "Can Alex Smith lead SF to the Super Bowl." He loses his job the next year and everyone credits Kaepernick for leading SF to the Super Bowl. In reality he wasn't any better than Smith was.
    Simply ridiculous (bolded). 1st 3 quarters count as well. And, a lot of the 4th quarters stats have been accumulated while losing in the game. It is simple - the Cowboys will not be a team to make any noise in the playoffs with Romo as the QB.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Simply ridiculous (bolded). 1st 3 quarters count as well. And, a lot of the 4th quarters stats have been accumulated while losing in the game. It is simple - the Cowboys will not be a team to make any noise in the playoffs with Romo as the QB.
    He has the 4th highest QB rating in NFL history. So he's pretty good for all 4 quarters.

Your a QB guy, I get it. You think a football team wins or loses based solely on the QB. I'm not. I think there is a reason guys like Ben Roethlisberger have won 2 titles. Good line play, solid running game, fantastic defense and great coaching. Ben Roethlisberger isn't a better QB than Tony Romo. He's just on been on a better team with a better run franchise. Same for Flacco.

twitter.com/adamjgray17

Starter
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

He has the 4th highest QB rating in NFL history. So he's pretty good for all 4 quarters.

Your a QB guy, I get it. You think a football team wins or loses based solely on the QB. I'm not. I think there is a reason guys like Ben Roethlisberger have won 2 titles. Good line play, solid running game, fantastic defense and great coaching. Ben Roethlisberger isn't a better QB than Tony Romo. He's just on been on a better team with a better run franchise. Same for Flacco.
    Question - did you watch Dallas at Washington in the last game of last year? Romo threw one of the worst INTs with the game on the line in the history of the NFL (OK, maybe over the top there). Big Ben doesn't make that throw. He makes a throw to S. Holmes in the Super Bowl that Romo could never throw. I will take clutch over stats any day. It's what wins games. Romo doesn't have IT (whatever IT is). It's proven.

Do you think Romo is better than Aikman? Troy had running game, better line, receivers, and coaching that Romo will ever have. However, he also made the plays that were needed when the pressure was on the most. That's what makes a QB.

Last edited by ISUpadre; 10-07-2013 at 11:46 PM.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Question - did you watch Dallas at Washington in the last game of last year? Romo threw one of the worst INTs with the game on the line in the history of the NFL (OK, maybe over the top there). Big Ben doesn't make that throw. He makes a throw to S. Holmes in the Super Bowl that Romo could never throw. I will take clutch over stats any day. It's what wins games. Romo doesn't have IT (whatever IT is). It's proven.

Do you think Romo is better than Aikman? Troy had running game, better line, receivers, and coaching that Romo will ever have. However, he also made the plays that were needed when the pressure was on the most. That's what makes a QB.
    Big Ben throws more INT's per attempt than Romo. His 22 QB rating is the lowest in Super Bowl history. But the Steelers won because of great defense and coaching. He is the example that W/L's is more than just QB play. He's benefited greatly by the franchise he's played for but he is not in any way better than Tony Romo.

I'm not a Cowboys fan. A Cowboys fan would be better to ask on the Romo versus Aikman claim. No doubt Aikman had better talent around him. That line was one of the best in history.

twitter.com/adamjgray17