Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 217
    Given: 0

Re: Optimistic about the future of this team

I'll give Messingham the rest of the season. If the offense doesn't show improvement and we still look like a team that doesn't know how to run the scheme we are trying to employ, then he needs to go. We have some offensive talent coming in next year with an experienced quarterback and we're not going to be able to overcome an O-coordinator with his head up his a**

I think what makes the struggles this year even more maddening is the Big 12 is a dumpster fire, teams are ripe for the picking

ABC - Always Be Closing

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 195
    Given: 887

Quote Originally Posted by dualthreat View Post
    As far as the o line goes.. it will help a ton to be able to review game tape of the klenakis scheme this offseason. I thought I heard that this spring they didn't even bother looking at last years game film because the scheme was so different.

Also, an entire off season to mentally and physically mold the guys into the shape coach k wants them in. No more TE built linemen I hope.
    I don't understand this. We've had three. One is in the NFL with the 49ers. The other two are sophomore starters--when healthy. So, of course, we'll have former tight end offensive linemen the next couple of years.

Part of this fanbase is like the parable of the blind men and the elephant.

Who knew?

Legend
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 195
    Given: 887

Quote Originally Posted by CyBroncos View Post
    I'll give Messingham the rest of the season. If the offense doesn't show improvement and we still look like a team that doesn't know how to run the scheme we are trying to employ, then he needs to go. We have some offensive talent coming in next year with an experienced quarterback and we're not going to be able to overcome an O-coordinator with his head up his ***

I think what makes the struggles this year even more maddening is the Big 12 is a dumpster fire, teams are ripe for the picking
    My question is, how do we overcome the fans with their heads up their ***?

CPR has mentioned the "great playcalling" Mess did after each of the last two games. I'll take his opinion over that of some anonymous, know-it-all message board poster.

Part of this fanbase is like the parable of the blind men and the elephant.

Who knew?

Addict
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 484

Quote Originally Posted by Daserop View Post
    how many times have people talked about next year being better, yet it never happens.
    I don't remember a whole lot of people being all that excited about this year. Most people were pretty concerned about the defense especially. We lost possibly the 2 best LBs ever to play at ISU. Not to mention our starting DT's in McDonough and Laing as well. Also lost starting DE Maggitt as well. Most ISU fans were expecting our defense to just get ran over big time.

Offensively, people were fairly excited, but there were just a lot of question marks. Was Richardson going to be like he was against KU, or like he was in his last two games last year? WR was a big question mark. Outside of Bundrage and Jarvis West, we weren't too sure about much?

I predicted 4 or 5 wins this year before the season started, but was cautiously optimistic we might surprise a team or two and somehow get to 6 wins. I don't recall anyone predicting much more than 5 or 6 wins tops though. Some were saying 3. After the spring game, I believe CW thought we'd win 4 games this year. I think as the summer went on though he might have upped it a bit.

So no, I don't think everyone was expecting huge things this year. Most saw us for what we are.... young and inexperienced. I think what may have thrown people for a loop was when Rhoads said something to the affect like this was the most talented team he's had. I think that statement was probably correct actually. I think there is a lot of talent on this roster. But it is mostly inexperienced talent. So it's going to take some game experience to get these guys up to their potential.

All-Star
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 692
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 159
    Given: 236

Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    I don't remember a whole lot of people being all that excited about this year. Most people were pretty concerned about the defense especially. We lost possibly the 2 best LBs ever to play at ISU. Not to mention our starting DT's in McDonough and Laing as well. Also lost starting DE Maggitt as well. Most ISU fans were expecting our defense to just get ran over big time.

Offensively, people were fairly excited, but there were just a lot of question marks. Was Richardson going to be like he was against KU, or like he was in his last two games last year? WR was a big question mark. Outside of Bundrage and Jarvis West, we weren't too sure about much?

I predicted 4 or 5 wins this year before the season started, but was cautiously optimistic we might surprise a team or two and somehow get to 6 wins. I don't recall anyone predicting much more than 5 or 6 wins tops though. Some were saying 3. After the spring game, I believe CW thought we'd win 4 games this year. I think as the summer went on though he might have upped it a bit.

So no, I don't think everyone was expecting huge things this year. Most saw us for what we are.... young and inexperienced. I think what may have thrown people for a loop was when Rhoads said something to the affect like this was the most talented team he's had. I think that statement was probably correct actually. I think there is a lot of talent on this roster. But it is mostly inexperienced talent. So it's going to take some game experience to get these guys up to their potential.
    Now this year I will say, "Next year blah blah blah" and next year there is no doubt I will say, "Next year blah blah blah". Know what I'm saying?

Addict
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 484

Quote Originally Posted by FanatiClone View Post
    Now this year I will say, "Next year blah blah blah" and next year there is no doubt I will say, "Next year blah blah blah". Know what I'm saying?
    No, I don't know what you are saying? Are you saying that people do expect us to do great every year? I just didn't get that feeling going into this year at all.

But unless we completely fall on our faces the rest of this year, I will be optimistic about next year just because we have nearly everyone coming back AND we are adding some serious playmakers in Lazard, Montgomery, and Mister.

All-Star
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    No, I don't know what you are saying? Are you saying that people do expect us to do great every year? I just didn't get that feeling going into this year at all.

But unless we completely fall on our faces the rest of this year, I will be optimistic about next year just because we have nearly everyone coming back AND we are adding some serious playmakers in Lazard, Montgomery, and Mister.
    No. I was one who had minimal expectations, in regards to W/L record, this year. But I am one who won't hesitate to mention the potential for next year. And I'm looking pretty far ahead, but I'm guessing next year I won't hesitate to point out the potential for 2015, b/c of how bright the future looks. I just went about saying it in a smart*** way.

Addict
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 364
    Given: 1,305

Somebody book mark Clonedudes original post, so when his first meltdown happens next fall, we can show it to him. Thus proving he is still the idiot pessimist, he is.

Addict
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 991
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 259
    Given: 42

5 winnable games on the back half of the schedule.

Win all 5 and go bowling. What a thrill it would be!

All-Star
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

[QUOTE=dualthreat;3624721]5 winnable games on the back half of the schedule.

Win all 5 and go bowling. What a thrill it would be![/QUOTE]

How right you are.!.

Addict
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 6
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 163
    Given: 140

Good post, clonedude!!! I agree that something special is on the way for us. One guy not getting enough props is DE Mitchell Meyers. He only has 3 tackles, but I like the way this kid plays. He has a nice motor and has forced some RBs to cut inside where a LB is waiting, or to try getting outside where a DB is waiting. I think he will be really good for us in the future.

This is Ophion speaking.

Rookie
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 78
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 39

Quote Originally Posted by Aclone View Post
    My question is, how do we overcome the fans with their heads up their ***?

CPR has mentioned the "great playcalling" Mess did after each of the last two games. I'll take his opinion over that of some anonymous, know-it-all message board poster.
    Nice post. Worst thing we could do is have disruption in coaching staff at the coordinator level again.

Addict
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 6
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 163
    Given: 140

For those who really don't realize just how young our team is, we return every single starter on offense next year. We lose Lichtenberg and Tuftee on the o-line, Gary and Coleman at WR (Gary Coleman!!), White, Johnson and Woody at RB. IMO, Woody is the only significant loss on offense.

This is Ophion speaking.

Pro
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,127
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 441
    Given: 130

No need to bash, good post. I had to have my 7 year old son tell me this to full accept it walking out of.the stadium he said: "dad you said these guys are young, so I was thinking.... They have only played a few games, maybe they are just getting warmed up? They played a lot better tonight than against the Hawkeyes. They will get better dad, don't worry." Sometimes it is as simple as a 7 year olds logic.