Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 485
    Given: 0

Optimistic about the future of this team

Although a bowl game is likely a long shot now, thanks to the Texa$ refs, I couldn't be more optimistic about the future of this team.

Watching that game on Thursday night, I could not believe how many young guys I was seeing out there. We all knew we had a young team when this season began, but we've even gotten younger out there on the field since the season has begun. I don't think many of us ever thought we'd see a whole lot from guys like Tribune, Omoile, Burton, Dagel, Knott, Loth, Lalk, Mitchell Myers, PJ Harris, Lynn, etc, etc.

Every position, with the exception of Safety and possibly LB will be much better next year IMO.

Here we go....

LB- Losing George is going to hurt at LB, but I think Seeley and Darius White will be good ones eventually and Meeks will be solid as well. And guys like Justin Webster and Justin Madison are very promising as well.

Safety- we lose both starters in Broomfield and Washington. That's scary. Their backups right now would be Cotton and Shaeffer, both pretty unproven guys. So I think Rogers could end up here next year for sure. I always thought Rogers was a bit too big for corner anyway. But we could use some help here at Safety. Maybe Mutcherson will start here next year as well, but he's not listed in the two deeps right now. Is he injured?

CB- Sam E. Richardson, Nigel Tribune, and Kenneth Lynn are the future here. Rogers goes to safety IMO. Don't know who would be next on the list here? Maybe Matthew Thomas or Kamari Syrie? Cotton-Moya?

DL- only losses are Willie Scott and Walter Woods. At the ends we have Morrissey, Kron, Myers, and Lemke back. Inside we are loaded with Irving, Coe, Jensen, Krick, Cousin, Aka, Vernell Trent, and Garcia.

QB- Of course a ton will hinge on this position, as it does for every team. Richardson is the guy right now, but for us to be REALLY good he will have to improve his game as well IMO. We know he can run, and we know he can be an accurate thrower when he has time too. But IMO, he still plays way too tentatively. He still looks scared and nervous out there at times. He doesn't appear to trust his arm enough. He needs to take more shots down the field and trust his arm. But I think this will come with more and more experience. He needs to play more confidently. Behind him I think we have a good one in Rohach, and Lanning and Hodge are kind of question marks right now.

RB- Yeah, we do lose James White, Shontrelle Johnson, and Jeff Woody at RB, but I just don't see a drop off at all here with Wimberly coming back, Nealy backing him up, and Standard is going to be the next Jeff Woody IMO, but maybe even a better version of Jeff Woody. And we've got Tyler Brown waiting in the wings too. Some people were pretty excited about what they saw out of him in practice this summer. And don't forget Mr. Mister too!

WR- We will be completely stacked at WR. Bundrage, Jarvis West, Ecby, Daley, Quan West, PJ Harris, and then add in Allen Lazard, D'Vario Montgomery, Jauan Wesley, and Orion Salters too. Amazing amount of talent here. It will be on Mess and Richardson to find ways to use them.

TE- we lose Brun, but we've been playing without him already this season. Bibbs is a stud. Boesen is solid too. I think Alex Leslie will be a receiving threat as well down the road for us. He has great hands. And we're bringing in Shaffner as a freshman next year.

OL- is very young right now, but all this game experience is just HUGE for them. They are improving every game. Tuftee and Lichtenberg are the only seniors in the entire group. Lichtenberg has already been beaten out by sophomore Brock Dagel this season. Tuftee hasn't played a whole lot either due to injuries. We've got a LOT of really young guys playing right now, and they are holding their own against the likes of Texas already. Omoile, Burton, and Dagel are all playing a ton. That really bodes well for us. Add to that guys like Campos, Curtis, Duaron Williams, Nick Severs, Jacob Dunning, etc and you have to be extremely excited for this group as well.

Anyway, the future is very bright. Looking at the rest of this season, I will actually be looking forward to watching these young guys improve every week regardless of wins and losses. As long as we are continually improving, then I see nothing but great things ahead for us.

If there are games this season where we get way ahead or way behind, I'd really like to see even more young guys get some valuable game experience for us. I'd like to see Rohach see some action. I'd like to see Seeley and Darius White see some action. I'd like to see Devlyn Cousin see more snaps at times. Duaron Williams too. All of this is only going to help down the road.

So, wins and losses aside the rest of this season, I'm going to be excited to see what improvements this young team will make throughout the year.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 708
    Given: 505

Re: Optimistic about the future of this team

Clonedude? More like Bipolardude. Lol.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by klamath632 View Post
    Clonedude? More like Bipolardude. Lol.
    I've been trying to find the silver lining in this kick to the groin season we've been having thus far. And you don't actually have to look very far at all to find one.

This season could very well be a big disappointment in the fact that we probably won't make a bowl game. But... I've already been encouraged by how much we've improved from week to week. If we played like we did against Texas against UNI and Iowa, we win both of those games IMO. The bummer is we didn't get rewarded for it by giving up a stupid hail mary and getting screwed on some bad calls. But young teams do dumb things like giving up hail mary passes.

So, I've resigned myself to accepting the fact we probably don't go bowling this year, and I'm fine with that because we are so young. But the more I watch, the more I realize just how young we are and how much potential we do have for next year. We have to use the rest of this year to improve our skills and get experience for next year. If that leads to more wins, so be it, but if it doesn't, that's fine too as long as we keep improving.

Next year could be VERY exciting though. Studs at all skill positions on offense. Basically everyone back on the OL that is playing right now for us. Nearly everyone back on an improving DL. Some young LBs getting great experience and getting better. Same with the DBs.

I'd be a lot more concerned if we had a veteran team full of seniors and juniors, but we are essentially playing with a bunch of RS Sophomores and RS Freshman with a few Juniors mixed in. That is encouraging.

Legend
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 318
    Given: 58

I am very optimistic about the future even though we are not going bowling this year. We will be in every game this year minus Baylor( gunna be a whipping).

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CyCrazy View Post
    I am very optimistic about the future even though we are not going bowling this year. We will be in every game this year minus Baylor( gunna be a whipping).
    But the potentially exciting thing about the Baylor game, if we do get behind by 4-5 TDs by the half, is that hopefully someone like Rohach is able to get in there and get some very valuable game experience. As well as some other RS Freshman too.

I think a lot of Iowa fans are wishing that KF would have gotten Rudock some game experience last season right now. It certainly couldn't have hurt.

Starter
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 777
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 64

Amazing. Two games ago, the entire season, and possible the entire Rhoads regime, was considered a failure and a disgrace.

I'm still trying to figure out if we should fire Mess.

Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    But we will now be the joke of college athletics. We can't even be entrusted to keep opposing teams safe and secure when they come to Ames anymore. What a joke. As an ISU alum, I'm completely embarrassed and ashamed.

Football is just a stupid game. Who cares who has the better football team. It's just a game.

Addict
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 708
    Given: 505

I've been trying to find the silver lining in this kick to the groin season we've been having thus far. And you don't actually have to look very far at all to find one.

This season could very well be a big disappointment in the fact that we probably won't make a bowl game. But... I've already been encouraged by how much we've improved from week to week. If we played like we did against Texas against UNI and Iowa, we win both of those games IMO. The bummer is we didn't get rewarded for it by giving up a stupid hail mary and getting screwed on some bad calls. But young teams do dumb things like giving up hail mary passes.

So, I've resigned myself to accepting the fact we probably don't go bowling this year, and I'm fine with that because we are so young. But the more I watch, the more I realize just how young we are and how much potential we do have for next year. We have to use the rest of this year to improve our skills and get experience for next year. If that leads to more wins, so be it, but if it doesn't, that's fine too as long as we keep improving.

Next year could be VERY exciting though. Studs at all skill positions on offense. Basically everyone back on the OL that is playing right now for us. Nearly everyone back on an improving DL. Some young LBs getting great experience and getting better. Same with the DBs.

I'd be a lot more concerned if we had a veteran team full of seniors and juniors, but we are essentially playing with a bunch of RS Sophomores and RS Freshman with a few Juniors mixed in. That is encouraging.
    Just busting your chops bro. I am also excited about the future. The team has improved from game to game in leaps and bounds.

Starter
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 777
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 64

But the potentially exciting thing about the Baylor game, if we do get behind by 4-5 TDs by the half, is that hopefully someone like Rohach is able to get in there and get some very valuable game experience. As well as some other RS Freshman too.

I think a lot of Iowa fans are wishing that KF would have gotten Rudock some game experience last season right now. It certainly couldn't have hurt.
    Confusion only scratches the surface to describe how I feel about the fact that you are excited about an upcoming game because we will get behind by 4-5 TDs in the first half and see our backup QB play.

But we will now be the joke of college athletics. We can't even be entrusted to keep opposing teams safe and secure when they come to Ames anymore. What a joke. As an ISU alum, I'm completely embarrassed and ashamed.

Football is just a stupid game. Who cares who has the better football team. It's just a game.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 12
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 29

CloneDude, I'm glad you're seeing the positive. I agree with you completely. I think this is going to be a very good team next year and may even steal some good wins this season. I think the offense looks a lot better next year with a more experienced and solid line. Most of the defense will be a year older. I'm not giving up on this year, but I think we have the makings for a real run next year.

All-Star
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 751
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 408
    Given: 267

I believe Mutcherson is hurt. I think he starts next year if healthy at safety.

twitter.com/adamjgray17

Speechless
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,534
    Given: 95

I'd be ok with firing mess still.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by GMan View Post
    Amazing. Two games ago, the entire season, and possible the entire Rhoads regime, was considered a failure and a disgrace.

I'm still trying to figure out if we should fire Mess.
    I was extremely frustrated with the way we played against UNI and Iowa. I don't know who wasn't? And the whole locker room break in fiasco didn't help matters at the time, although we handled it as professionally as you could expect even though Iowa officials did not.

But I had expectations of this team possibly getting to a bowl game again this year. If you didn't, then fine. But I knew that for us to achieve a bowl game, we would have to do well in the non conference. When we lost to UNI and Iowa to start the season, I was extremely frustrated because I knew our bowl chances were basically lost. Late in the game against Texas, when I thought we had it won, I was thinking to myself, ok... now this is a game I didn't think we'd win at the start of the season, so if we can get this one, we might still have an outside shot. 2-2 is WAY better than 1-3.

But when the Texas game slipped through our fingers as well, I started to resign myself to looking ahead to next year. And I see nothing but positives when I look ahead to next year. So possibly, all of my expectations for this year's team were over inflated based on how young and inexperienced we were. I don't know? All I know is that we look 10 times better right now that we did against UNI. That is promising. And if we continue to improve like that, I think the ceiling for next year's team is unlimited. And that is exciting to me.

So if you want to turn this optimistic thread into just another bash clonedude thread, so be it. I'm used to it. I've stated my case for being optimistic about this football team even though we've been kicked in the groin over and over again this season already. The positives are there if you can accept that this season's goal of a bowl game is not likely.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,166
    Given: 2,030

Quote Originally Posted by AdamJGray View Post
    He was listed in the participation report for the UTgame, I think he's playing special teams.

All-Star
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 692
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 160
    Given: 236

Pretty sure that Syrie will end up at Safety and possibly even end up making a move similar to Brackens. He is known for putting a hat on someone, not necessarily his cover skills.

Nice breakdown and assessment by the way.

All-Star
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 692
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 160
    Given: 236

Quote Originally Posted by AdamJGray View Post
    Thats what I'm hearing...on both of your statements.