CPR ...and some stats - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 38
  1. #16
    All-Star
    Points: 36,903, Level: 59
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 947
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    cloneteach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,367
    Points
    36,903
    Level
    59
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 80
    Given: 26

    Re: CPR ...and some stats

    Quote Originally Posted by psychlone99 View Post
    This is going to sound like a smart ***, sarcastic question, but it's sincere... Is it possible that Mess is no longer calling plays? Is Sturdy still on the sideline (and not holding a play card)? I know I saw him down there against Iowa, but did anyone see him against Tulsa and Texas?

    Clearly this offense has made dramatic improvements. No doubt some of it is due to health, but there is also evidence of some philosophical shifts/adjustments, which is why I ask the question. And I realize that it is entirely possible that Mess may have made some adjustments himself or been strongly encouraged to do so.

    I thought this during the Tulsa game as well. Too dramatic of a change IMO for one person to make.


    Visit our blog for all things ISU...

    www.ourtwosense.blogspot.com

  2. #17
    Starter
    Points: 18,509, Level: 41
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 441
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    norcalcy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    624
    Points
    18,509
    Level
    41
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 178
    Given: 193

    Re: CPR ...and some stats

    Bigger picture:

    All time ISU W/L % = .458
    Modern era ISU W/L % (Majors to now) = .409
    CPR era W/L % =.455

    Optimist view: we are performing slightly above recent historical averages and are building a solid foundation to "take the next step"

    Pessimistic view: we can't escape our sub .500 heritage no matter what we do.

    As a fan, I have to believe the first. If we find a way to scratch out five wins this year and then put together back to back 8 win seasons, CPR finds himself on a short list of ISU coaches with above .500 winning %.

    Have to get a few conf. wins this year to keep some momentum.



  3. #18
    Pro
    Points: 64,311, Level: 78
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 539
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    besserheimerphat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Posts
    2,827
    Points
    64,311
    Level
    78
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 187
    Given: 296

    Re: CPR ...and some stats

    Quote Originally Posted by cloneteach View Post
    I thought this during the Tulsa game as well. Too dramatic of a change IMO for one person to make.
    Playcalling always starts to look better when the QB's health returns, the o-line begins to gel, we find a consistent running back, and receivers catch balls and begin making extra yards after the catch.


    You can spend a lot of time and money picking out the perfect floral bouquet for your date ... but you're probably better off checking if you have bad breath and taking the porn out of the glove compartment.

    The moral: you gain more by not being stupid, than you do by being smart. Smart gets neutralized by other smart people. Stupid does not.

  4. #19
    Pro
    Points: 47,101, Level: 67
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 1,249
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Daserop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    The Bebop
    Posts
    3,228
    Points
    47,101
    Level
    67
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 311
    Given: 450

    Re: CPR ...and some stats

    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyninety View Post
    We are 1-3.
    the only stat that matters.


    Jet Black (Cowboy Bebop): Man always thinks about the past before he dies, as if he were frantically searching for proof that he truly lived.

  5. #20
    All-Star
    Points: 14,946, Level: 37
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 704
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    wherever i go, there i am
    Posts
    1,074
    Points
    14,946
    Level
    37
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 155
    Given: 234

    Re: CPR ...and some stats

    Quote Originally Posted by Daserop View Post
    the only stat that matters.
    Not true. Unless you believed this wasn't going to be a down year, record wise. If you did believe it was going to be, then seeing marked improvement from week to week becomes the expectation, or at least the hope. Many posters predicted this in advance of the season. It's easy to be lulled into the idea that it's all about Ws and Ls, but I always tell my clients/students that improving upon where you were/are is a truer barometer than some idealized outcome. This isn't just some cliche I spout about. I believe it. Trust me, I'd love to pile up the wins, but I knew where we were starting from this year and had no illusions about how this season would turn out. I still hopeful, but realistic. Next year will be better but the following year I dont doubt that our record will put us in the top 4 of the Big12.



  6. #21
    Speechless
    Points: 224,760, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Rabbuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    15,652
    Points
    224,760
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,520
    Given: 94

    Re: CPR ...and some stats

    Oklahoma, Baylor, ok state and one of the Texas teams will have a better record than us next year. Putting us out of the top 4



  7. #22
    All-Star
    Points: 14,946, Level: 37
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 704
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    wherever i go, there i am
    Posts
    1,074
    Points
    14,946
    Level
    37
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 155
    Given: 234

    Re: CPR ...and some stats

    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbuk View Post
    Oklahoma, Baylor, ok state and one of the Texas teams will have a better record than us next year. Putting us out of the top 4
    Read again, I didn't predict for next year, it was for 2015.
    And I stand by it.



  8. #23
    Addict
    Points: 79,117, Level: 87
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 1,033
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    dualthreat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Alumni road
    Posts
    6,989
    Points
    79,117
    Level
    87
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 250
    Given: 42

    Re: CPR ...and some stats

    How do you guys think this team compares to the 2008 team?

    Before you rip me apart for comparing to a chizik team, consider the potential on that squad that was a season away from a breakout year.

    The unfortunate part, it would appear, that this 2013 squad is going to finish about 4-8 and not 6-6. Okay, so, not that one year has any real impact on the next, but I'd be much more inclined to believe we can win 9 or 10 games next year if we win 6 this year.

    Historically, the upside potential of a 4-8 team is likely just back up to 6-6 or 7-5.

    Although, 1999 we went 4-7. 2000 9-3 so it can be done.



  9. #24
    Speechless
    Points: 224,760, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Rabbuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    15,652
    Points
    224,760
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,520
    Given: 94

    Re: CPR ...and some stats

    Quote Originally Posted by FanatiClone View Post
    Read again, I didn't predict for next year, it was for 2015.
    And I stand by it.
    K change what I said to two years from now.



  10. #25
    Walk On
    Points: 7,440, Level: 25
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 110
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience Points3 months registered

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    153
    Points
    7,440
    Level
    25
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: CPR ...and some stats

    Quote Originally Posted by FanatiClone View Post
    Not true. Unless you believed this wasn't going to be a down year, record wise. If you did believe it was going to be, then seeing marked improvement from week to week becomes the expectation, or at least the hope. Many posters predicted this in advance of the season. It's easy to be lulled into the idea that it's all about Ws and Ls, but I always tell my clients/students that improving upon where you were/are is a truer barometer than some idealized outcome. This isn't just some cliche I spout about. I believe it. Trust me, I'd love to pile up the wins, but I knew where we were starting from this year and had no illusions about how this season would turn out. I still hopeful, but realistic. Next year will be better but the following year I dont doubt that our record will put us in the top 4 of the Big12.
    No, it is all about wins. You play the game to win, not to pad the stat sheet. Fans pay money to watch their team beat the opponent, not to see if the tailback runs for more yards than he did in the last game. Standings are determined by wins and losses, not quarterback rating or field goal percentage.

    It is all about wins.


    There are systems for a reason in this world...economic stability, interest rates, growth. It's not all a conspiracy to keep you in little boxes, alright? It's only the miracle of consumer capitalism that means you're not lying in your own s**t, dying at 43 with rotten teeth.

  11. #26
    Speechless
    Points: 407,901, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    61,057
    Points
    407,901
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 874
    Given: 603

    Re: CPR ...and some stats

    Quote Originally Posted by besserheimerphat View Post
    Playcalling always starts to look better when the QB's health returns, the o-line begins to gel, we find a consistent running back, and receivers catch balls and begin making extra yards after the catch.
    And you call something besides run up the middle and one yard bubble screens. I now wonder if our playbook was limited because we were still installing the better plays.


    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

  12. #27
    All-Star
    Points: 14,946, Level: 37
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 704
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    wherever i go, there i am
    Posts
    1,074
    Points
    14,946
    Level
    37
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 155
    Given: 234

    Re: CPR ...and some stats

    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbuk View Post
    K change what I said to two years from now.
    Man, OK ST is gonna slip back into relative obscurity is my guess. Some years will be better than others for them, but for the most part, they will finish mid pack. Baylor is so upperclass men heavy right now. On offense, 8-9 starters are upperclass men, depending on the formation they are using, and most being Srs. On the defense it's the same thing. This is Baylor's year. Next year they'll be good but I hardly believe Briles will be around in two years. The heavyset will come calling. OU, well...we gotta get em at some point. Best shot coming up in two years based on what we have on the field now, and in waiting. It's obviously just a prediction...but I'll own it whether or not it happens.



  13. #28
    All-Star
    Points: 14,946, Level: 37
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 704
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    wherever i go, there i am
    Posts
    1,074
    Points
    14,946
    Level
    37
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 155
    Given: 234

    Re: CPR ...and some stats

    Quote Originally Posted by MarkCorrigan View Post
    No, it is all about wins. You play the game to win, not to pad the stat sheet. Fans pay money to watch their team beat the opponent, not to see if the tailback runs for more yards than he did in the last game. Standings are determined by wins and losses, not quarterback rating or field goal percentage.

    It is all about wins.
    So you're having a pretty sh***y time of it this year then, huh? Not too many wins and if it's all about that, you must be friggin miserable. I don't care about stats either, however, like I said, I didn't expect much in the way of wins this year. I bet you I posted that about 20 times last year and leading up to this season.



  14. #29
    Pro
    Points: 44,328, Level: 65
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,222
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    IAStubborn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    3,414
    Points
    44,328
    Level
    65
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 441
    Given: 130

    Re: CPR ...and some stats

    Quote Originally Posted by dualthreat View Post
    How do you guys think this team compares to the 2008 team?

    Before you rip me apart for comparing to a chizik team, consider the potential on that squad that was a season away from a breakout year.

    The unfortunate part, it would appear, that this 2013 squad is going to finish about 4-8 and not 6-6. Okay, so, not that one year has any real impact on the next, but I'd be much more inclined to believe we can win 9 or 10 games next year if we win 6 this year.

    Historically, the upside potential of a 4-8 team is likely just back up to 6-6 or 7-5.

    Although, 1999 we went 4-7. 2000 9-3 so it can be done.
    In 2008 we went 2-10 in 2009 7-6. I think a similar improvement can happen in 2014 and then 9-4 in 2015. I think this team will be better than 2-10 and will not get killed by anyone like 2008 team did but I think the 2009 team over performed as they tiok people by surprise.



  15. #30
    Walk On
    Points: 7,440, Level: 25
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 110
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience Points3 months registered

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    153
    Points
    7,440
    Level
    25
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: CPR ...and some stats

    Quote Originally Posted by FanatiClone View Post
    So you're having a pretty sh***y time of it this year then, huh? Not too many wins and if it's all about that, you must be friggin miserable. I don't care about stats either, however, like I said, I didn't expect much in the way of wins this year. I bet you I posted that about 20 times last year and leading up to this season.
    I never said that I do not enjoy watching the team, but they play to win games and not to beef up the box score. That is the whole point of the game. Do you think any the players feel any better about losing Thursday night when they look at the stat sheet?


    There are systems for a reason in this world...economic stability, interest rates, growth. It's not all a conspiracy to keep you in little boxes, alright? It's only the miracle of consumer capitalism that means you're not lying in your own s**t, dying at 43 with rotten teeth.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Mediacom 22
  • HOOPS: Iowa State vs. Drake
  • December 20, 2014
  • 04:00 PM