Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 157
  1. #31
    Addict
    Points: 158,337, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Palmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Johnston, IA
    Posts
    7,942
    Points
    158,337
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 75
    Given: 6

    Re: Any reason why we aren't as good as Northwestern?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhoadhoused View Post
    For a scheduling example, the didn't play one single team that was ranked at the time they played last year. That must be nice.

    They've played 11 ranked teams going back to 2009.

    We have played 11 since 2011, and 19 since 2009.

    This.


    Carrying the banner for ISU.


  2. #32
    Pro
    Points: 34,990, Level: 57
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 460
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,158
    Points
    34,990
    Level
    57
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 122
    Given: 6

    Re: Any reason why we aren't as good as Northwestern?

    Looking at recruiting rankings over the years, they don't recruit that well. What they do is have a schemes that work, recruit players that fit the schemes, coach them, and have good player development. They also have a good team culture.



  3. #33
    Addict
    Points: 126,625, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Tornado man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    8,634
    Points
    126,625
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 339
    Given: 516

    Re: Any reason why we aren't as good as Northwestern?

    Quote Originally Posted by cayin View Post
    Looking at recruiting rankings over the years, they don't recruit that well. What they do is have a schemes that work, recruit players that fit the schemes, coach them, and have good player development. They also have a good team culture.
    Thank you. Northwestern doesn't attract much more "talent" than we do. They do have a great coaching staff though.



  4. #34
    Addict
    Points: 117,866, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    gogagig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6,373
    Points
    117,866
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,425
    Given: 1,071

    Re: Any reason why we aren't as good as Northwestern?

    I am not that young. But given a choice between living in Ames and Evanston, I'd choose Evanston in a heart beat.



  5. #35
    Addict
    Points: 62,159, Level: 77
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 1,091
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    simply1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    5,782
    Points
    62,159
    Level
    77
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 127
    Given: 11

    Re: Any reason why we aren't as good as Northwestern?

    Replace the word Northwestern with Baylor :)


    I don't do signatures. Blondes, brunettes, and red heads are a different story.

  6. #36
    Speechless
    Points: 270,940, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Rabbuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    19,952
    Points
    270,940
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,494
    Given: 163

    Re: Any reason why we aren't as good as Northwestern?

    You're a special brand of stupid if you think Ames has as many things for young people to do as Chicago. Also the airport being there is nice if your family wants to see you play.



  7. #37
    Legend
    Points: 185,815, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Rhoadhoused's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    11,059
    Points
    185,815
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,445
    Given: 746

    Re: Any reason why we aren't as good as Northwestern?

    Quote Originally Posted by cayin View Post
    Looking at recruiting rankings over the years, they don't recruit that well. What they do is have a schemes that work, recruit players that fit the schemes, coach them, and have good player development. They also have a good team culture.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tornado man View Post
    Thank you. Northwestern doesn't attract much more "talent" than we do. They do have a great coaching staff though.
    They aren't amazing at recruiting, but they are better than us if you are using rivals rankings as your measuring stick.

    Rivals rankings of Northwestern and ISU, respectively.

    14 #43, #57
    13 #53, #58
    12 #60, #87


    Last edited by Rhoadhoused; 10-05-2013 at 10:10 PM.

  8. #38
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 41,725, Level: 63
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,225
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    West Des Moines
    Posts
    4,057
    Points
    41,725
    Level
    63
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 368
    Given: 0

    Re: Any reason why we aren't as good as Northwestern?

    I'm jealous of how Northwestern gets the same kind of offensive talent that we do yet run their scheme way better.


    ABC - Always Be Closing

  9. #39
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 58,050, Level: 74
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 500
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    im4cyclones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    3,569
    Points
    58,050
    Level
    74
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 812
    Given: 801

    Re: Any reason why we aren't as good as Northwestern?

    The better question is why Northwestern sucked so bad in basketball for so long! Not saying they should be great but they should make the tournament occasionally. Their conference may have been tough last year but it has been down for a decade. More than a few easy wins there.



  10. #40
    Addict
    Points: 126,625, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Tornado man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    8,634
    Points
    126,625
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 339
    Given: 516

    Re: Any reason why we aren't as good as Northwestern?

    Quote Originally Posted by simply1 View Post
    Replace the word Northwestern with Baylor :)
    You can get into Baylor a helluva lot easier than you can get into NW...



  11. #41
    Addict
    Points: 216,092, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    JUKEBOX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    7,198
    Points
    216,092
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 129
    Given: 0

    Re: Any reason why we aren't as good as Northwestern?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbuk View Post
    You're a special brand of stupid if you think Ames has as many things for young people to do as Chicago. Also the airport being there is nice if your family wants to see you play.
    You're a special brand of stupid if you went to Iowa State and hate Ames.



  12. #42
    All-Star
    Points: 21,383, Level: 44
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 267
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    canker2323's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Tijuana
    Posts
    1,237
    Points
    21,383
    Level
    44
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 122
    Given: 15

    Re: Any reason why we aren't as good as Northwestern?

    Quote Originally Posted by im4cyclones View Post
    Are you serious with this?

    Chicago has the lake, hot girls, the Cubs (terrible baseball but a fun environment), great bars/restaurants, Rush St., Michigan Ave, and on and on. You name it and it is a short train ride away.

    Ames has... Ada Hayden park, dumpy Campustown, North Grand Mall, good schools, low crime, and little traffic.

    For families, Ames wins. For 18 year olds who are talented and have options?
    Watch what you say. Some will interpret this as insulting ames and iowa. Ribs will be all over you.



  13. #43
    Speechless
    Points: 270,940, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Rabbuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    19,952
    Points
    270,940
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,494
    Given: 163

    Re: Any reason why we aren't as good as Northwestern?

    Quote Originally Posted by JUKEBOX View Post
    You're a special brand of stupid if you went to Iowa State and hate Ames.
    You're an illogical sob.



  14. #44
    Addict
    Points: 117,866, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    gogagig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6,373
    Points
    117,866
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,425
    Given: 1,071

    Re: Any reason why we aren't as good as Northwestern?

    Quote Originally Posted by JUKEBOX View Post
    You're a special brand of stupid if you went to Iowa State and hate Ames.
    How does liking Evanston/Chicago equate to hating Ames?



  15. #45
    Speechless
    Points: 291,530, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    17,332
    Points
    291,530
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 685
    Given: 102

    Re: Any reason why we aren't as good as Northwestern?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tornado man View Post
    Thank you. Northwestern doesn't attract much more "talent" than we do. They do have a great coaching staff though.
    Really? That sure as hell looks like more talent to me.

    Yahoo Sports: Rivals.com 2014 Northwestern Commitments



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: ESPN
  • HOOPS: Iowa State vs. Texas
  • February 13, 2016
  • 07:30 PM