Any reason why we aren't as good as Northwestern? - Page 2
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 157
  1. #16
    Legend
    Points: 275,020, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 53.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialOverdriveVeteran
    CyArob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    14,700
    Points
    275,020
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,025
    Given: 1,463

    Re: Any reason why we aren't as good as Northwestern?

    Quote Originally Posted by JUKEBOX View Post
    The location argument is kind of a bad excuse too. We are only 5 hours away from them. There are plenty of Chicago kids that go to Iowa State.
    The difference between Chicago and Ames is night and day, so you're wrong.



    Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    Football is just a stupid game. Who cares who has the better football team. It's just a game.

  2. #17
    Pro
    Points: 49,850, Level: 69
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,300
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    im4cyclones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    3,016
    Points
    49,850
    Level
    69
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 485
    Given: 477

    Re: Any reason why we aren't as good as Northwestern?

    Quote Originally Posted by JUKEBOX View Post
    Not really buying the academics argument. Why doesn't Harvard, Vanderbilt, etc. have great football teams? Stanford is the only elite football program lately with great academics and they were terrible before Harbaugh.

    The location argument is kind of a bad excuse too. We are only 5 hours away from them. There are plenty of Chicago kids that go to Iowa State.
    First, selling the north side of Chicago is much easier than selling Ames.

    Second, winter in Illinois is the same as Iowa, Indiana, Ohio, etc, etc, etc. Winter in Iowa is much different than winter in Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas.

    Third, Illinois produces more FBS talent than Iowa. Plus they get exposure in Ohio, Michigan, and Pennslyvania. We don't get exposure in any of those states. We have to travel farther to get our recruits.

    So it is not a bad excuse. It is a fact.



  3. #18
    Addict
    Points: 216,092, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    JUKEBOX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    7,198
    Points
    216,092
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 129
    Given: 0

    Re: Any reason why we aren't as good as Northwestern?

    Quote Originally Posted by im4cyclones View Post
    First, selling the north side of Chicago is much easier than selling Ames.

    Second, winter in Illinois is the same as Iowa, Indiana, Ohio, etc, etc, etc. Winter in Iowa is much different than winter in Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas.

    Third, Illinois produces more FBS talent than Iowa. Plus they get exposure in Ohio, Michigan, and Pennslyvania. We don't get exposure in any of those states. We have to travel farther to get our recruits.

    So it is not a bad excuse. It is a fact.
    Why is the north side of Chicago better than Ames?



  4. #19
    Addict
    Points: 91,170, Level: 93
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 80
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registered
    mtowncyclone13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    7,358
    Points
    91,170
    Level
    93
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 978
    Given: 688

    Re: Any reason why we aren't as good as Northwestern?

    Harvard is one of the greastest historical football powers of all time. so there!



  5. #20
    Addict
    Points: 102,131, Level: 99
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 919
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    JP4CY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sommerset
    Posts
    6,647
    Points
    102,131
    Level
    99
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 580
    Given: 232

    Re: Any reason why we aren't as good as Northwestern?

    Quote Originally Posted by JUKEBOX View Post
    Why is the north side of Chicago better than Ames?
    More clubs, miles of beaches, close to major airport, a couple hundred thousand single women.



  6. #21
    Addict
    Points: 104,758, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Clonefan94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Schaumburg, IL
    Posts
    6,401
    Points
    104,758
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 311
    Given: 170

    Re: Any reason why we aren't as good as Northwestern?

    Quote Originally Posted by mtowncyclone13 View Post
    you know Iowa is the fall back school for people who don't get into NW?

    and their location > our location.
    Actually, Illinois is the fall back from Northwestern, Iowa takes the rejects from Illinois.



  7. #22
    Addict
    Points: 216,092, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    JUKEBOX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    7,198
    Points
    216,092
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 129
    Given: 0

    Re: Any reason why we aren't as good as Northwestern?

    Quote Originally Posted by JP4CY View Post
    More clubs, miles of beaches, close to major airport, a couple hundred thousand single women.

    Crowded streets, not a college town, nobody cares about Northwestern Football, a couple hundred thousand single fat guys.



  8. #23
    Legend
    Points: 275,020, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 53.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialOverdriveVeteran
    CyArob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    14,700
    Points
    275,020
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,025
    Given: 1,463

    Re: Any reason why we aren't as good as Northwestern?

    Quote Originally Posted by JUKEBOX View Post
    Why is the north side of Chicago better than Ames?



    Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    Football is just a stupid game. Who cares who has the better football team. It's just a game.

  9. #24
    Addict
    Points: 162,563, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Rhoadhoused's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    9,173
    Points
    162,563
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 747
    Given: 365

    Re: Any reason why we aren't as good as Northwestern?

    Quote Originally Posted by JP4CY View Post
    More clubs, miles of beaches, close to major airport, a couple hundred thousand single women.
    It is close to Chicago. That's enough to sell to recruits. Iowa has a lot of great stuff but it doesn't have Chicago. Which is a good and bad thing. But I'm guessing more recruits have been sold on Chicago than on Iowans' wholesome values and friendly demeanor.



  10. #25
    Pro
    Points: 49,850, Level: 69
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,300
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    im4cyclones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    3,016
    Points
    49,850
    Level
    69
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 485
    Given: 477

    Re: Any reason why we aren't as good as Northwestern?

    Quote Originally Posted by JUKEBOX View Post
    Why is the north side of Chicago better than Ames?
    Are you serious with this?

    Chicago has the lake, hot girls, the Cubs (terrible baseball but a fun environment), great bars/restaurants, Rush St., Michigan Ave, and on and on. You name it and it is a short train ride away.

    Ames has... Ada Hayden park, dumpy Campustown, North Grand Mall, good schools, low crime, and little traffic.

    For families, Ames wins. For 18 year olds who are talented and have options?



  11. #26
    Addict
    Points: 216,092, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    JUKEBOX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    7,198
    Points
    216,092
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 129
    Given: 0

    Re: Any reason why we aren't as good as Northwestern?

    Quote Originally Posted by im4cyclones View Post
    Are you serious with this?

    Chicago has the lake, hot girls, the Cubs (terrible baseball but a fun environment), great bars/restaurants, Rush St., Michigan Ave, and on and on. You name it and it is a short train ride away.

    Ames has... Ada Hayden park, dumpy Campustown, North Grand Mall, good schools, low crime, and little traffic.

    For families, Ames wins. For 18 year olds who are talented and have options?
    Why did you go to Iowa State?



  12. #27
    Addict
    Points: 162,563, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Rhoadhoused's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    9,173
    Points
    162,563
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 747
    Given: 365

    Re: Any reason why we aren't as good as Northwestern?

    Quote Originally Posted by JUKEBOX View Post
    Why did you go to Iowa State?
    ^^^Doesn't get it, somehow.



  13. #28
    Addict
    Points: 91,170, Level: 93
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 80
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registered
    mtowncyclone13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    7,358
    Points
    91,170
    Level
    93
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 978
    Given: 688

    Re: Any reason why we aren't as good as Northwestern?

    that's actually a good question.


    Quote Originally Posted by CycloneRulzzz View Post
    mtown is among the worst to ever play this game.
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye nation
    If [Iowa] were a good shooting team we could make a run at the final 4.

  14. #29
    Addict
    Points: 102,131, Level: 99
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 919
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    JP4CY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sommerset
    Posts
    6,647
    Points
    102,131
    Level
    99
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 580
    Given: 232

    Re: Any reason why we aren't as good as Northwestern?

    Quote Originally Posted by JUKEBOX View Post
    Why did you go to Iowa State?
    I wouldn't say you are picking fights but I think you are frustrated, and rightfully so. It's OK, just don't try and find reasons to make yourself ****** at other people.



  15. #30
    Pro
    Points: 49,850, Level: 69
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,300
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    im4cyclones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    3,016
    Points
    49,850
    Level
    69
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 485
    Given: 477

    Re: Any reason why we aren't as good as Northwestern?

    Quote Originally Posted by JUKEBOX View Post
    Why did you go to Iowa State?
    My parents, older siblings, friends, and a grandparent (dad's dad) went there. I grew up cheering for the clones. I grew up playing football on the hillsides of (then) Cyclone Stadium. I grew up cheering when Heeere's Johnny was played in Hilton. I wasn't a talented out-of-state recruit with many suitors in my ear.

    Why do so many young Iowans leave the state after they graduate? Why does Iowa suffer from the so-called brain drain?



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Mediacom 22
  • HOOPS: Iowa State vs. Drake
  • December 20, 2014
  • 04:00 PM