Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialOverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 504
    Given: 828

Re: We did not deserve to win

Obviously doesn't understand that getting a cushion of a lead would have possibly prevented a refs mistake decide the game. Keep blaming the refs I guess, not that ISU had chances to blow open the game and failed.

Last edited by Cy$; 10-04-2013 at 02:11 AM.
    Category 3 Boat Shoes Campus Rep
    PM for Discounts / Promo Codes

Talk to ISUCubsWin for Category 4
    Talk to BU4ISU for Category 5

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 80.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,064
    Given: 509

Cash, STFU. I'm not a Chiefs fan, whatever the hell that is supposed to mean. I'm all for holding the team accountable. Let's say the score is the same, but the ends of the halves were swapped....the blown fumble call was at the end of the first half and the passing TD was the end of the 2nd. My position would be...get over the fumble call, it was the end of the first half, you could have improvised/adapted/overcame, and hell you did, but you let them torch you for a TD. Even let's take away that one play with the blown call: Well, tough schitt, you let them score at the end.

To say that things that happened before that play should be taken in higher regard than that play...is stupid. The team lead, that call getting blown changed it, and it changed it at a time where it was nearly impossible to overcome.

Again, it's not about the whatifs or the yahbuts...it's about leadership and admitting that this team, although making some dumb arsed mistakes, improvised/adapted/overcame to do the things needed to win this game....other than that fumble/not fumble.

And this is not b!tiching about the refs...I also realize they're human and they make mistakes. I also realize that this is well understood and that's why there's replay...so it doesn't eff things up....

This is about...don't be an arsehole and say that this team didn't deserve to win. They effed things up, but made near miracles happen to overcome them. The defining mistake of the game was a call made by a referee that was correctable.

Prospect
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 69
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by IHavNoCyCash View Post
    the whining about the officials by most people amazes me. ISU scores a touchdown to take a 2 possession lead, nobody talks about the possible fumble. Leaving it to a possible ending like what happened tonight is what ISU should have avoided doing. Kick the FG and trust the defense to make a stop. Letting Texas get inside the red zone in itself should not have happened.Maybe it's because I'm a Broncos fan so I get it when during the game Denver doesn't let up on the gas pedal until they are up by 3 scores with 5 minutes left? I guess watching the Denver-Giants game where Denver was getting PI calls on 4 straight plays unwarranted but had a 3 score lead so it didn't matter is why I feel the way I do about the ISU game. The game is 4 quarters long, what you do in the first quarter has an affect on the game in the fourth quarter, don't understand why people don't get that.The threatening of refs is also ridiculous that was going on in the message board after the game. I understand you're ****** off, but keep that **** off the site. That's what 5-year olds do.
    The thing is, we did get the stop. The zebras just didn't allow it. You're right about the game being four quarters, but the game isn't won until it's all over. Threatening the refs is ridiculous and should be kept off the site, but you have to understand that the team did what they were supposed to and barring any outside interference, ISU wins. The issue here isn't what ISU should have done, it's what they did and what the refs didn't allow.

Pro
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 422
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 161

Two things will haunt ISU from this game.

1. Throwing the ball on 3rd and 2 at the Texas 4 late in the game. One of the worse play calls regarding the game situation I have ever seen.

2. Having short DB's in the end zone defending the hail mary. It happened right in front of me in the south end zone...the Texas receiver barely had to jump. Texas made the hardest play to pull off look easy

ABC - Always Be Closing

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

who cares if it's impossible to overcome. Gee wiz, you think if ISU punched it in instead of getting a field goal that would have made it a 95% chance ISU would have won the game before it happened.Pretty simple solution, don't put it in the refs hands to decide the game, period. With ISU only making it a 6 point game, it gave Texas the opportunity to score the winning touchdown. About complaining at the refs, yeah you are, you are pinning that as the reason as why ISU lost and tell people that don't agree with you to "STFU", "arsehole" and other words. The lesson learned is to never take the foot off the pedal and don't put your team in that situation in the first place. Iowa State was the better team tonight, however, they did not do enough to win the football game, there's no disputing that with the actual scoreboard. The better team always doesn't win. Like my friend said to me and my team during a basketball game that was going like tonight's football game. "You should never need the refs to be able to dictate the outcome of the game if you are truly good enough to win". You know what? He's 100% right. Sorry for no paragraphs, phone.

Last edited by Cy$; 10-04-2013 at 02:58 AM.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jrios545 View Post
    The thing is, we did get the stop. The zebras just didn't allow it. You're right about the game being four quarters, but the game isn't won until it's all over. Threatening the refs is ridiculous and should be kept off the site, but you have to understand that the team did what they were supposed to and barring any outside interference, ISU wins. The issue here isn't what ISU should have done, it's what they did and what the refs didn't allow.
    I understand your point, though what i'm saying and you are saying go hand in hand. ISU wins if the correct call happens. ISU also wins if they make it a 2 score game with 4 minutes left. Especially as an ISU fan, seeing this happen in basketball (Kansas game), the best possible way to avoid a scenario like this happening again is to make sure the team is not in a position where this could affect the result (easier said then done).

Legend
    Overall activity: 93.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,298
    Given: 2,342

Texas didn't deserve to win. You don't deserve to win when you get a team held to 3rd and nine at their own 3 and give up a TD on the play.

That was probably as big or even a bigger gaffe. Anyone can play that game.

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

Addict
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 932
    Overall activity: 36.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 225
    Given: 528

Quote Originally Posted by IHavNoCyCash View Post
    the whining about the officials by most people amazes me. ISU scores a touchdown to take a 2 possession lead, nobody talks about the possible fumble. Leaving it to a possible ending like what happened tonight is what ISU should have avoided doing. Kick the FG and trust the defense to make a stop. Letting Texas get inside the red zone in itself should not have happened.Maybe it's because I'm a Broncos fan so I get it when during the game Denver doesn't let up on the gas pedal until they are up by 3 scores with 5 minutes left? I guess watching the Denver-Giants game where Denver was getting PI calls on 4 straight plays unwarranted but had a 3 score lead so it didn't matter is why I feel the way I do about the ISU game. The game is 4 quarters long, what you do in the first quarter has an affect on the game in the fourth quarter, don't understand why people don't get that.The threatening of refs is also ridiculous that was going on in the message board after the game. I understand you're ****** off, but keep that **** off the site. That's what 5-year olds do.
    CyCash, I agree with the spirit of your post (actually a combination of your comments within the thread).

For the time being, I’ll set aside the failure to overturn the non-fumble. It was a fumble. (I think I'm more annoyed that it calls into question the review process itself, but I'll worry about that another day).

You are correct, there are opportunities throughout any close game that could be “blamed” for a loss, and this-or-that could reduce dependence on a controversial situation.

I would even extend that philosophy to what happened afterward. When the non-reversal took place, Iowa State was still in the lead (and the officiating decision didn’t directly result in a Texas score, either).

Several things could have happened in ISU’s favor after the un-fumble.

1. ISU recovers fumble on the following play, runs out the clock.

2. Texas tries the QB sneak two straight times, ISU stuffs it ... or, QB sneak quashed, then UT tries a play-action on 4th down, pass incomplete or INT.

3. Texas scores on the sneak, botches extra point, game goes to overtime.

4. Texas scores, extra point blocked and returned for 2 points.

5. Texas scores TD for 1-point lead, kickoff doesn’t make it deep enough, Iowa State gets a huge return, setting up a favorable situation to get into field goal range.

6. Same as 5, but win on hail mary.

7. Everything happens exactly as it did in reality, ISU takes possession on touchback, makes flawless use of time and field position, wins on field goal in waning seconds.

I know, (4) is extremely unlikely, (3) is outside realm of generally expected result and (6) would have been simply hilarious. But there were opportunities.

It’s the same reason I got over the KU basketball fiasco last season rather quickly. I screamed at the TV when the bad officiating sequence occurred — but ISU had a chance to make it “right” in overtime, but instead, Kansas got a gift and slammed the door.

Starter
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 574
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 93
    Given: 107

Quote Originally Posted by isuno1fan View Post
    I agree...we lost the game. It's on us...not the refs.
    Why is it always one or the other? Looking at the whole game, I saw several things that could have changed the outcome of the game. I do agree that batting that ball down would have helped tremendously, as well as scoring a TD rather than a FG, as well as getting the correct call on the strip by George.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 477
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 207
    Given: 94

There where a ton of chances for ISU to win this game. There where also tons of chances for Texas to win the game. The problem is that when the game was on the line the officials did everything that they could do to help TX win the game. It is just criminal if you watch the replay. Every spot for ISU was 0.5 to 1.5 yards short on the drive to the 2nd and 1 at the TX 4. Texas had multiple holds on most plays on their final drive, some were just plain tackles. As several others have stated, it is pretty clear the fix was on at the end of the game.

The hail Mary is all on the coaches. Wrong approach, wrong personnel, etc.

Starter
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 61
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 16

Quote Originally Posted by Raymeus View Post
    Screw-job by the refs or not, it would have never gotten to that point if we just bat-down the hail mary at the end of the 1st half.
    So you place blame on the players when they don't make a play AND when they do? They made the play that should have won the game. Regardless of what happened before that they made the play that would have WON the game. The hail-mary was a terrible play by them...no doubt. But, they made the play that would have WON the game. Get it?

From the Land of Sky Blue Waters,
    From the land of pines' lofty balsams,
    Comes the beer refreshing,
    Hamm's the beer refreshing.

Walk On
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 330
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Just wrong.

The Cyclones were the better team on the field Thursday night. Saying that they should have made this play or that is just ridiculous. You could say that about any team on any night including the national championship game, because nobody ever plays a completely perfect game.

Usually, the winner is the better team. The Cyclones were the better team. Officiating changed the outcome. That should never happen.

Pro
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 401
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 92
    Given: 116

This one is easy. 2nd and 1 on the 4 (which was a bad placement). Don't get fancy. Go to your bread and butter. Three downs to pick up one by diving Woody into the line. You don't get it? Well there is very little time left on the clock at that point and the worst thing that can happen is what did...Texas drives to get a TD. Next worst? They tie it with a field goal. Our decision making allowed them to have an incredible amount of time to work with and that really cost us. Best thing that happens with this strategy is you either pick up the first and burn most of the clock or you get a touchdown and win. Period.

Starter
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 574
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 93
    Given: 107

Quote Originally Posted by acoustimac View Post
    This one is easy. 2nd and 1 on the 4 (which was a bad placement). Don't get fancy. Go to your bread and butter. Three downs to pick up one by diving Woody into the line. You don't get it? Well there is very little time left on the clock at that point and the worst thing that can happen is what did...Texas drives to get a TD. Next worst? They tie it with a field goal. Our decision making allowed them to have an incredible amount of time to work with and that really cost us. Best thing that happens with this strategy is you either pick up the first and burn most of the clock or you get a touchdown and win. Period.
    Before the botched call, this is exactly what I was trying to telepathically relay to the coaching staff, "Woody, Woody and the Woody again". I still think that would've sealed the deal. But since it didn't, doesn't mean I don't recognize the fact that we got hosed by a very partial officiating crew.

Starter
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 245
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 6

Quote Originally Posted by bstegs View Post
    For anyone agreeing with the op, you can CHECK YOUR FAN CARD AT THE ******* DOOR! It was an amazing play at the end, and we were robbed. If you are not shook up and your heart/stomach/mind feel normal, get the **** out.
    BEST FREAKIN' POST IN THIS THREAD!

fify...great statement right there.

Cyclone fan since 1964 and proud of it!

Keepers of the Faith -- Member