Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 33
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Speculation: Assault negotiations taking place.

This is pure speculation, but with a background in these types of issues, that frantic negotiations are taking place on the alleged sexual assault charges involving Iowa football players. The victim has the right not to press charges and a settlement can be reached involving dollars. IF this quietly goes away, it could be an even bigger potential mess for the University of Iowa. Who will pay? Who has the money? There are plenty of lawyers to go around in Iowa City to handle this, but I believe this story will not just go away.

All-Star
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 331
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9

Re: Speculation: Assault negotiations taking place.

One was a 4-star recruit with a ton of speed. I have a feeling this thing will be swept under the rug and they'll be back next year. Then again, there may not be enough evidence to charge them with anything. Guess we'll see.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 1,544
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8

One would hope they don't get away with a crime.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 68
    Given: 10

Quote Originally Posted by cytheguy View Post
    One was a 4-star recruit with a ton of speed. I have a feeling this thing will be swept under the rug and they'll be back next year. Then again, there may not be enough evidence to charge them with anything. Guess we'll see.
    This old school train of thought that athletes get special treatment in cases such as this is getting ridiculous. While I have no doubt that the occasional (or in Iowa's case this year) speeding ticket or minor offense may have some heads looking the other way, but I highly doubt that in a school full of lawyers and as liberal as they are at Iowa, that something like this would get swept under the rug.

If indeed nothing comes of this, why does it have to be a cover up? Could it actually be that the alleged offenders are actually innocent?

I'm not standing up for any person who commits a crime, but this is one of those *few* times we actually need to let the legal system run its course. Look at the Duke case.

The artist formerly known as SouthernHawk

Addict
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 14

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernHawk View Post
    This old school train of thought that athletes get special treatment in cases such as this is getting ridiculous. While I have no doubt that the occasional (or in Iowa's case this year) speeding ticket or minor offense may have some heads looking the other way, but I highly doubt that in a school full of lawyers and as liberal as they are at Iowa, that something like this would get swept under the rug.

If indeed nothing comes of this, why does it have to be a cover up? Could it actually be that the alleged offenders are actually innocent?

I'm not standing up for any person who commits a crime, but this is one of those *few* times we actually need to let the legal system run its course. Look at the Duke case.
    Southern... The reason why we are sick of this and jumping to conclusion is because they ALWAYS get a slap on the wrist. How bad of a sentence did DD get? Oh... a slap on the wrist.

If you or me got arrested for the same thing you can guarentee we are sitting in jail.

There are times where they are innnocent but we are sick of these stupid defered judgements and all the trouble you hear coming from the east.

What happens if they are guilty and only get a slap on the wrist? What justice is that?

Biggest joke of the day. Eddie Griffin ex football player from IL said this morning on Cotler that kids want to play for Ferentz because he's a good honest person that runs a clean program that never has problems. Seriously??? Your part of the Big 10 network and you don't know whats going on. What a joke.

GDMCC Member follow us on twitter @dmcyclub

Legend
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 1

In high profile cases there is more pressure on the prosecution to convict than if the defendent were a no-name.

All-Star
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 545
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 8

Good point. We all saw how Pierre Pierce's first perpetration was not swept under the rug. We didn't see him rewarded with a favorable plea bargain and a redshirt and by being allowed to continue playing--obviously because of all of those liberal lawyers policing the matter.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CloneLawman View Post

Good point. We all saw how Pierre Pierce's first perpetration was not swept under the rug. We didn't see him rewarded with a favorable plea bargain and a redshirt and by being allowed to continue playing--obviously because of all of those liberal lawyers policing the matter.
    It wasn't swept under the rug. Pierce went through his trial, and while he did get better treatment than I thought he should have gotten, and I'm not going to defend Alford's decision.

And if you'll remember, there were protests across campus, and Alford lost a lot of credibility after that. But it was hardly "covered up", and it's a completely different situation.

All-Star
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 545
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 8

Perhaps "Swept under the rug" is not quite accurate--but there was no trial. And he did receive treatment "better than he deserved" despite protests and hand-wringing and whatever other phenomena you might wish to cite.

I understand it is a different situation (at least at this point). I do believe the example tends to undercut your assertion that "rug sweeping" or other instances of favorable treatment could not occur at Iowa City due to the presence of lawyers and liberals.

Last edited by CloneLawman; 12-06-2007 at 10:10 PM.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by bellzisu View Post
    Southern... The reason why we are sick of this and jumping to conclusion is because they ALWAYS get a slap on the wrist. How bad of a sentence did DD get? Oh... a slap on the wrist.

If you or me got arrested for the same thing you can guarentee we are sitting in jail.

There are times where they are innnocent but we are sick of these stupid defered judgements and all the trouble you hear coming from the east.

What happens if they are guilty and only get a slap on the wrist? What justice is that?

Biggest joke of the day. Eddie Griffin ex football player from IL said this morning on Cotler that kids want to play for Ferentz because he's a good honest person that runs a clean program that never has problems. Seriously??? Your part of the Big 10 network and you don't know whats going on. What a joke.
    Again, I'm not defending what these players have done. Any/all players deserve the same treatment as you and I. And as I said, I'm sure for minor offenses they get a little better treatment. But to actually sit there and believe that sexual assault would be "swept under the rug" and players get favorable treatment is naive.

Ferentz has run a pretty clean program. The problems this year are embarrassing, absolutely no denying that. However, I fully believe that KF will take back the reigns and get things under control. Ferentz may seem easy going, but I have no doubt in my mind that he'll right the ship.

All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

It wasn't swept under the rug. Pierce went through his trial, and while he did get better treatment than I thought he should have gotten, and I'm not going to defend Alford's decision.

And if you'll remember, there were protests across campus, and Alford lost a lot of credibility after that. But it was hardly "covered up", and it's a completely different situation.
    Actually, the problem I have involves university officials making public statements and taking other actions that served to intimidate the victim.

DD's "sentence" was just our screwed up legal system in action.

A ship in port is safe, but that is not what ships are built for.

A Man Is What He Does When It Counts

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by herbiedoobie View Post
    Actually, the problem I have involves university officials making public statements and taking other actions that served to intimidate the victim.

DD's "sentence" was just our screwed up legal system in action.
    This I can agree with. IMO, since athletes are involved, the university needs to stay quieter about these situations than usual. Let's say some crazed fan finds out the victim's name, and the situation involves a star athlete (in this case, the alleged Cedric Everson), then who knows what could happen.

The university is doing what it needs to do, as is Ferentz. The quieter they are, the smoother things go.

And I agree with the DD and Pierce thing - it's a screwed up legal system. I honestly think Pierce got off too easy the 2nd time (should have gotten more jail time, and I kinda wish the NBA would have barred him from participation), and after the DD situation, it would have been nice to see a harsher punishment.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 78.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 312
    Given: 257

What did the assault charges really include?

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

As was already mentioned there was no trial. The victim was threatened, by Pierce's lawyers, with being dragged through the mud as to here reputation. She agreed to his facing lesser charges rather than being humiliated.

By the way who paid for his legal team, two of the highest paid lawyers in the state?

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CyRocket View Post
    As was already mentioned there was no trial. The victim was threatened, by Pierce's lawyers, with being dragged through the mud as to here reputation. She agreed to his facing lesser charges rather than being humiliated.

By the way who paid for his legal team, two of the highest paid lawyers in the state?
    Since when is a lawyer playing hard ball the fault of a program/team?

I'm in no way defending Pierce. I hated the fact that he was back on the team in the first place, and really lost respect for Alford after that. But lets be honest here, regardless of where these cases take place, if a person has any sort of fame to them, their lawyers are going to use that to their advantage.

It's gross, but that's how the game is played I guess.