Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 157
  1. #46
    Pro
    Points: 123,220, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    IowaStateClones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    2,156
    Points
    123,220
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 144
    Given: 49

    Re: Why did we kick a field goal instead of going for it?

    Lets recall every play of the game and say we should have done something different because we would have won!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11



  2. #47
    Speechless
    Points: 736,354, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Cyclonepride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    A pineapple under the sea
    Posts
    47,907
    Points
    736,354
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,535
    Given: 729

    Re: Why did we kick a field goal instead of going for it?

    Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    Because Texas HAS to score the TD.
    Exactly. Really the end of the conversation.



  3. #48
    Legend
    Points: 141,536, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Judoka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Timbuktu
    Posts
    10,612
    Points
    141,536
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 501
    Given: 558

    Re: Why did we kick a field goal instead of going for it?

    Quote Originally Posted by 3TrueFans View Post
    The previous 4 Texas drives were 2 punts and 2 fumbles and almost no yardage gained, AND we actually forced what should have been a fumble on the game winning drive. Easily the right call, anyone that thinks otherwise is playing too much NCAA 14.
    Exactly. So what's the risk in giving them the ball on the five yard line when the upside is you score a touchdown and seal the game? They have to drive down the field and will be willing to settle for a field goal if they are able to drive.



  4. #49
    Starter
    Points: 12,246, Level: 33
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 404
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points1 year registered

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    USA! USA!
    Posts
    720
    Points
    12,246
    Level
    33
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Why did we kick a field goal instead of going for it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Judoka View Post
    Exactly. So what's the risk in giving them the ball on the five yard line when the upside is you score a touchdown and seal the game? They have to drive down the field and will be willing to settle for a field goal if they are able to drive.
    Doesn't matter where they get it. 6 point lead LARGER than 3 point lead at that point.


    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. - George Carlin

  5. #50
    Addict
    Points: 186,401, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Clark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Ottumwa
    Posts
    9,617
    Points
    186,401
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 611
    Given: 83

    Re: Why did we kick a field goal instead of going for it?

    Quote Originally Posted by 3TrueFans View Post
    The previous 4 Texas drives were 2 punts and 2 fumbles and almost no yardage gained, AND we actually forced what should have been a fumble on the game winning drive. Easily the right call, anyone that thinks otherwise is playing too much NCAA 14.
    It has nothing to do with ncaa 14, it's math. One of you stat nerds could calculate the exact odds if you wanted but from reading the advanced stats guys at football outsiders and on grantland I'm pretty confident going for it was the correct play call as far as expected averages go.

    Again though, 95% of coaches would have kicked the fieldgoal because it's the safe route in terms of media criticism.



  6. #51
    Speechless
    Points: 283,452, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    16,668
    Points
    283,452
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 249
    Given: 27

    Re: Why did we kick a field goal instead of going for it?

    Eh, I can see both sides. I didn't have a problem with the call though.



  7. #52
    Speechless
    Points: 736,354, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Cyclonepride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    A pineapple under the sea
    Posts
    47,907
    Points
    736,354
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,535
    Given: 729

    Re: Why did we kick a field goal instead of going for it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Clark View Post
    It has nothing to do with ncaa 14, it's math. One of you stat nerds could calculate the exact odds if you wanted but from reading the advanced stats guys at football outsiders and on grantland I'm pretty confident going for it was the correct play call as far as expected averages go.

    Again though, 95% of coaches would have kicked the fieldgoal because it's the safe route in terms of media criticism.
    95% of coaches kick the field goal because they understand the odds in football, and also do not expect their team to allow a late drive for 7.



  8. #53
    Legend
    Points: 141,536, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Judoka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Timbuktu
    Posts
    10,612
    Points
    141,536
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 501
    Given: 558

    Re: Why did we kick a field goal instead of going for it?

    Quote Originally Posted by ISUpadre View Post
    Doesn't matter where they get it. 6 point lead LARGER than 3 point lead at that point.
    And 6 is less than 7. So it doesn't help.



  9. #54
    Recruit
    Points: 2,719, Level: 14
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 31
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    75
    Points
    2,719
    Level
    14
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Why did we kick a field goal instead of going for it?

    Quote Originally Posted by St810s View Post
    Honestly, what are better odds? ISU making a field goal or ISU getting 3 yards? I'm really not sure....
    Exactly my thoughts. I don't think ill ever trust our kicking game, and it made me really nervous to think it might come down to a 50+ kick to win.



  10. #55
    Speechless
    Points: 651,011, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    3TrueFans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    24,511
    Points
    651,011
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,064
    Given: 225

    Re: Why did we kick a field goal instead of going for it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Judoka View Post
    Exactly. So what's the risk in giving them the ball on the five yard line when the upside is you score a touchdown and seal the game? They have to drive down the field and will be willing to settle for a field goal if they are able to drive.
    Because it's going to be harder to keep them out of field goal range than it is to keep them out of the endzone, it sounds like you would rather us play for overtime? I'd rather put our defense in a position to do what it had done the entire 4th quarter for a chance to win us the ballgame rather than for a chance to save overtime.



  11. #56
    Starter
    Points: 12,246, Level: 33
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 404
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points1 year registered

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    USA! USA!
    Posts
    720
    Points
    12,246
    Level
    33
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Why did we kick a field goal instead of going for it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Clark View Post
    It has nothing to do with ncaa 14, it's math. One of you stat nerds could calculate the exact odds if you wanted but from reading the advanced stats guys at football outsiders and on grantland I'm pretty confident going for it was the correct play call as far as expected averages go.

    Again though, 95% of coaches would have kicked the fieldgoal because it's the safe route in terms of media criticism.
    Coaches are not thinking of criticism at that point. They are thinking 6 > 3 at that point. It really is, that simple. And, I know the grantland story. It didn't do a good job of taking into account time of game and momentum because Barnwell doesn't believe in MO.


    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. - George Carlin

  12. #57
    Legend
    Points: 141,536, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Judoka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Timbuktu
    Posts
    10,612
    Points
    141,536
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 501
    Given: 558

    Re: Why did we kick a field goal instead of going for it?

    Quote Originally Posted by 3TrueFans View Post
    Because it's going to be harder to keep them out of field goal range than it is to keep them out of the endzone, it sounds like you would rather us play for overtime? I'd rather put our defense in a position to do what it had done the entire 4th quarter for a chance to win us the ballgame rather than for a chance to save overtime.
    Going for it would be playing to win and settling for likely OT if it doesn't work. Instead we settled for praying we don't lose.



  13. #58
    Legend
    Points: 141,536, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Judoka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Timbuktu
    Posts
    10,612
    Points
    141,536
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 501
    Given: 558

    Re: Why did we kick a field goal instead of going for it?

    Quote Originally Posted by ISUpadre View Post
    Coaches are not thinking of criticism at that point. They are thinking 6 > 3 at that point. It really is, that simple. And, I know the grantland story. It didn't do a good job of taking into account time of game and momentum because Barnwell doesn't believe in MO.
    6<7



  14. #59
    Starter
    Points: 12,246, Level: 33
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 404
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points1 year registered

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    USA! USA!
    Posts
    720
    Points
    12,246
    Level
    33
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Why did we kick a field goal instead of going for it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Judoka View Post
    Going for it would be playing to win and settling for likely OT if it doesn't work. Instead we settled for praying we don't lose.
    Setting for OT doesn't sound like playing to win. Going up 6 and trusting defense (even though it didn't work) is playing to win.


    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. - George Carlin

  15. #60
    Recruit
    Points: 2,719, Level: 14
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 31
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    75
    Points
    2,719
    Level
    14
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Why did we kick a field goal instead of going for it?

    Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    The mistake was not being able to get a first down with a 2nd and 1 on their 5 yd line. Once it got to 4th down we had to kick the FG.

    I've never understood in that situation when you have 2 plays to get one yard why you don't just QB sneak it 2 times in a row if needed. It just takes too long to hike it to the QB, turn around, and hand it to the RB 4 yds behind the line of scrimmage IMO. Don't mess around. Just have Richardson sneak it twice if you have to.
    This too, crossed my mind. I still don't understand why isu always has to line up in thre pistole/spread no matter the situation



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: TBD
  • Iowa State vs. Oklahoma
  • November 1, 2014
  • 07:00 PM