Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 73

Thread: Cubs fire Sveum

  1. #1
    Facebook Knows All
    Points: 274,732, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    cycloneworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NE Oklahoma
    Posts
    16,222
    Points
    274,732
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 255
    Given: 94

    Cubs fire Sveum

    Probably means they have his replacement (Girardi?) already lined up.

    Didn't do much to develop talent...can't say that I'm sad about this one.



  2. #2
    Addict
    Points: 99,242, Level: 98
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 1,808
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registeredSocial
    cmjh10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    6,849
    Points
    99,242
    Level
    98
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,155
    Given: 1,739

    Re: Cubs fire Sveum

    Girardi a front runner as well


    Naz Long, the Cowboy Killer

  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 237,626, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registeredSocial
    klamath632's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    8,733
    Points
    237,626
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 344
    Given: 244

    Re: Cubs fire Sveum

    That's a pretty ****ed up thing to do. They give him absolutely nothing to work with in terms of talent while they rebuild their farm system. Now that the MLB team is ready for some upward mobility in the division, they fire him, with nothing to show for babysitting their "team" except for a terrible W-L record.

    And I'm sorry, but "he didn't develop the talent?" Top prospects fail every year in baseball. Usually it's a hitting coach or a pitching coach that get fired for it. It's the manager's job to manage, not to develop the talent.

    It's hard to respect the Cubs management for doing this to a loyal hardworking guy.


    Quote Originally Posted by John F. Kennedy
    not because they are easy, but because they are hard ... because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win....

  4. #4
    Starter
    Points: 20,617, Level: 43
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 133
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsSocial
    BringBackJohnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    799
    Points
    20,617
    Level
    43
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44
    Given: 16

    Re: Cubs fire Sveum

    Bad Players, Bad Owner, Bad GM, Bad Manger -------- The whole thing right now is horid.

    This is coming from a Cubs fan.

    With Tommy's comittment to not spending money on players I see next to zero progress being made next year. Cubs will lose close to 100 and the new signage and videoboard will decrease ticket sales by 5% - 10%


    They should have brought in Sandberg. The guy new the Cubs players, was well liked in Chicago, and paid his dues. Poor form T-Ep and Tommy


    Smoke um if you got um

  5. #5
    Speechless
    Points: 858,285, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    CycloneErik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Jamerica
    Posts
    55,330
    Points
    858,285
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,457
    Given: 1,247

    Re: Cubs fire Sveum

    Interesting to do it this year.

    He was always set up as the patsy. I figured it would be after next season.


    Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!




    http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

  6. #6
    Addict
    Points: 178,521, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Clark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Ottumwa
    Posts
    9,189
    Points
    178,521
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 332
    Given: 60

    Re: Cubs fire Sveum

    Quote Originally Posted by klamath632 View Post
    That's a pretty ****ed up thing to do. They give him absolutely nothing to work with in terms of talent while they rebuild their farm system. Now that the MLB team is ready for some upward mobility in the division, they fire him, with nothing to show for babysitting their "team" except for a terrible W-L record.

    And I'm sorry, but "he didn't develop the talent?" Top prospects fail every year in baseball. Usually it's a hitting coach or a pitching coach that get fired for it. It's the manager's job to manage, not to develop the talent.

    It's hard to respect the Cubs management for doing this to a loyal hardworking guy.
    They gave a guy who had never been manager before an opportunity. He knew the situation he was walking in to. It was obvious when he was hired that he wasn't going to be the guy when the team was going to be ready to compete unless he did something unexpected.

    And if his job was to manage, considering they lost more games than their run differential would have predicted, I'd say he failed to do that job as well.



  7. #7
    Addict
    Points: 178,521, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Clark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Ottumwa
    Posts
    9,189
    Points
    178,521
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 332
    Given: 60

    Re: Cubs fire Sveum

    Quote Originally Posted by BringBackJohnny View Post
    Bad Players, Bad Owner, Bad GM, Bad Manger -------- The whole thing right now is horid.

    This is coming from a Cubs fan.

    With Tommy's comittment to not spending money on players I see next to zero progress being made next year. Cubs will lose close to 100 and the new signage and videoboard will decrease ticket sales by 5% - 10%


    They should have brought in Sandberg. The guy new the Cubs players, was well liked in Chicago, and paid his dues. Poor form T-Ep and Tommy
    What are you smoking? This situation is exactly why Sandberg wasn't hired.



  8. #8
    Starter
    Points: 20,617, Level: 43
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 133
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsSocial
    BringBackJohnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    799
    Points
    20,617
    Level
    43
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44
    Given: 16

    Re: Cubs fire Sveum

    Quote Originally Posted by Clark View Post
    What are you smoking? This situation is exactly why Sandberg wasn't hired.
    Would have made the situation more tollerable. At lease I could have cheered for Ryno and felt good about it.


    Smoke um if you got um

  9. #9
    Addict
    Points: 178,521, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Clark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Ottumwa
    Posts
    9,189
    Points
    178,521
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 332
    Given: 60

    Re: Cubs fire Sveum

    Quote Originally Posted by BringBackJohnny View Post
    Would have made the situation more tollerable. At lease I could have cheered for Ryno and felt good about it.
    And how would have you felt if they fired him today after two losing seasons?



  10. #10
    Speechless
    Points: 432,830, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    23,817
    Points
    432,830
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 122
    Given: 16

    Re: Cubs fire Sveum

    I wouldn't call Epstein/Hoyer a bad front office...the problem is that fixing the Cubs isn't an overnight process. Shedding contracts is a step in the right direction. Need to start replenishing the farm system and then it'll come together with a superstar signing or two.

    And like people said above....Sandberg wasn't the proper hire for a scapegoat. Sveum was getting canned as soon as someone better could replace him. Bad PR move to do that to a beloved Cub.



  11. #11
    Starter
    Points: 20,617, Level: 43
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 133
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsSocial
    BringBackJohnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    799
    Points
    20,617
    Level
    43
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44
    Given: 16

    Re: Cubs fire Sveum

    Quote Originally Posted by Clark View Post
    And how would have you felt if they fired him today after two losing seasons?
    I would have felt bad. Lou wanted Ryno to replace him back in 2010-ish. Dude was AAA manager of the year. He could obviously work with young developing players. He had a great repuation as a Cub and was a bright sport to fans in the minor leagues. When Ownership passed him over for Quade and then Dale that was just poor poor form on their part.

    Cubs fans never felt like they got their guy. Turns out both other guys wern't that good either. Oppertunity missed.


    Smoke um if you got um

  12. #12
    Addict
    Points: 178,521, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Clark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Ottumwa
    Posts
    9,189
    Points
    178,521
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 332
    Given: 60

    Re: Cubs fire Sveum

    Quote Originally Posted by BringBackJohnny View Post
    I would have felt bad. Lou wanted Ryno to replace him back in 2010-ish. Dude was AAA manager of the year. He could obviously work with young developing players. He had a great repuation as a Cub and was a bright sport to fans in the minor leagues. When Ownership passed him over for Quade and then Dale that was just poor poor form on their part.

    Cubs fans never felt like they got their guy. Turns out both other guys wern't that good either. Oppertunity missed.
    This is why he wasn't hired.



  13. #13
    Pro
    Points: 46,077, Level: 66
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 873
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    enisthemenace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Waveland Township, DSM
    Posts
    3,362
    Points
    46,077
    Level
    66
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 98
    Given: 79

    Re: Cubs fire Sveum

    While Girardi is the popular assumption, heard from someone that Brad Ausmus is another hot name.

    RH...if reading...BA never crossed my mind.



  14. #14
    Speechless
    Points: 858,285, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    CycloneErik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Jamerica
    Posts
    55,330
    Points
    858,285
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,457
    Given: 1,247

    Re: Cubs fire Sveum

    Quote Originally Posted by BringBackJohnny View Post
    I would have felt bad. Lou wanted Ryno to replace him back in 2010-ish. Dude was AAA manager of the year. He could obviously work with young developing players. He had a great repuation as a Cub and was a bright sport to fans in the minor leagues. When Ownership passed him over for Quade and then Dale that was just poor poor form on their part.

    Cubs fans never felt like they got their guy. Turns out both other guys wern't that good either. Oppertunity missed.
    I'm still not thrilled with the Quade hire.
    With Sveum, there was never any illusion how things would go. Not his fault, he just wasn't the permanent guy.


    Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!




    http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

  15. #15
    Pro
    Points: 24,472, Level: 47
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 78
    Overall activity: 48.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    jbindm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    2,474
    Points
    24,472
    Level
    47
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 237
    Given: 150

    Re: Cubs fire Sveum

    Quote Originally Posted by Clark View Post
    And how would have you felt if they fired him today after two losing seasons?
    Exactly. The problem with hiring a legend is that you might have to fire that legend if they suck. It's a high risk high reward gamble and I don't blame Epstein for letting Sandberg seek other opportunities.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM