Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 14

Paying Football Players / Student Athletes

Ok, so KXNO is now ripping on Pollard because he has been tweeting about not paying student athletes. I'm going to have to agree with them but not the reasons that Jim and Ken are exposing.

I don't see what paying student athletes is such a bit deal. There are tons of current students at ISU who are currently getting paid by the University and I was one of them. Some of them also have full rides but most of them are also getting scholarships. These people are paid researchers. Just replace the word into paying "student researchers" as opposed to paying "student athletes". There is very little difference, except that maybe more athletes are from low-income families and need some cash. These Universities bring in millions of dollars in research contracts and they bring in millions of dollars and need students for most projects but have to have them for the athletics.

The details get to be a little tougher but should not be that complicated. Some research projects bring in lots of money and need lots of students while others may not need much at all and may only require volunteers. I feel like only the revenue earning sports should/will pay athletes and they most deserve it.

This is turning into a bit of a long rant but I had one more thought on the idea. For those that feel like this is turning the players into pros (so freaking what - that is the purpose of college) to prepare a young person for their chosen careers. They are like lowly interns being paid (but not well) to acquire the experience. Obviously, the main point to create competitive balance will be to limit that pay and equalize among all of the similar schools. /End Rant

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 167
    Given: 149

Re: Paying Football Players / Student Athletes

How on earth could it possibly be regulated? Also, some schools don't bring in "millions of dollars" in research money. I think it's a bad idea personally. The idea on paper isn't all that big a deal, it's what will come along with it that I worry about.

Pro
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,014
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 188
    Given: 75

Isn't there a rule that walk-ons can't receive any academic aid? I'd like to see that changed.

Sorry, I know that's somewhat off topic.

Last edited by Luth4Cy; 09-25-2013 at 05:41 PM.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 170
    Given: 139

If they allow players to be paid, it's got to be the same for everyone everywhere, otherwise the gap between the haves and have nots will get wider than it already is.

For the record, I'm still not in favor of paying student athletes (I don't care what anyone says, when I was in college they were the richest students on campus) but if you do go down that road I would suggest the national minimum wage times 20 hours a week. Any student who has all his expenses paid for him or her should be able to live on that just fine.

All-Star
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 4

This issue of paying student athletes is typically short sided. I don't think anyone has a problem paying student athletes in revenue sports (and those revenue sports can differ from school to school). The issue is once you start paying student athletes, that includes student athletes in non-revenue sports.

All-Star
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 87
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 1

If you take a redshirt year, you can almost get a master's degree. You get tuition, room and board, meals, books, stipends, bowl game trips/gifts, special advisors for your degree program, team apparel, free tutoring, access to the best health and wellness facilities on campus, and alumni privileges (i.e. 'You played at ISU, come work for me'). It's almost a $250,000 head start on the rest of us so no they should not be paid. Heck 50k a year for 5 years is more than what Arena League and D-League athletes are paid

Starter
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 628
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Paying players is risky and not easy. My problem is coaches salaries and NCAA exec salaries. If the players are going to be limited to scholarship and risk lives and future well being than I don't think coaches or board members should be making millions doing it...

Eternal Optimist

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 104
    Given: 15

Paying players = the end of Iowa State football.

And potentially basketball and by extension the entire athletics department.

The NCAA has their hands tied. If they allow players to get paid, they can kiss their non-profit status goodbye because the IRS is already looking into revoking their non-profit status. If they don't pay players the threat of conferences splitting off kills the organization.

Players can be paid if they:
    a) maintain a 3.25 GPA each semester they're in school
    b) graduate in 5 years
    c) don't bring any unwanted attention to their respective programs.

Frankly, if athletes think they need more money, they can join the rest of the student population and take out loans. Maybe that will give them some incentive to get a real degree so they can afford to pay back those loans.

Last edited by IcSyU; 09-25-2013 at 05:55 PM.

Pro
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 127
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 56
    Given: 25

Paying players will ruin college sports. Plus lawyers making more money...

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 449
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

We already pay them, it is called a free education, free food and boarding. People need to understand these are student athletes. The most important thing is education and then comes sports. The whole point of college is to educate yourself first and maybe play sports if you have the talent, not the other way around.

All-Star
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 542
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 2

So you are telling me that students get paid for doing research? At an institution where the main focus (should be) is education? That seems right. Okay. Lets make this fair - since we are talking about paying football players + tuition + room and board.....if you do research work on a project that has a large grant - you should get ALL of your tuition + room and board + money on the side. Same logic right? (I'm trying for sarcasm....)

Most students doing research do not get full tuition (unless they are grad students). Most athletic programs outside of the BCS teams don't make money.

I'm not in favor of play-for-pay.

Addict
    Overall activity: 45.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 460
    Given: 213

Paying does not equal paying market value, and it does not mean you have to pay all student athletes. Just pay the ones in sports that make money. How could you possibly argue against that? Pay the kids like 10-20,000. $20,000*85 equals $1.7 million, easily paid by power conferences. I'm not sure how you deal with schools that don't make that much money, but I'm guessing the power conferences will eventually separate anyway. Once that happens something like this is a lot more viable. But this strategy doesn't change a whole lot with college sports and the athletes who deserve it can earn a bit of a living while the universities still rake in tens of millions of dollars.

The paying all student athletes if you pay any argument makes me angry. Why would you have to pay more to a person in a sport losing money? They are actually making more than their market value with their scholarship.

Tuition is not money. It is a voucher for a service that the university is already providing for 30,000 other students. It is certainly some compensation, but it is not enough. Just because it is a form of compensation, doesn't make it enough.

Last edited by Rhoadhoused; 09-25-2013 at 06:00 PM.

Legend
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 98
    Given: 72

OP, When you were a paid researcher, did ISU pay in full for your tuition, room, board, and books?

"Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

Pro
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 955
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 126

pay all sports and watch your tuition go out of sight

Starter
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 603
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 49
    Given: 16

I have a solution that everyone can agree with. 1) Pay student athletes at some pre determined rate (base it on the average state income) 2) Stop giving scholarships to student athletes so that the student athlete can pay for going to school at the institution just like any other student who has a job. So... now student athletes are going to their job and getting paid, and then they get to pay for school just like anyone else. They want extra cash, take out stafford loans. Scholarship + current stipend system + paying athletes on top of that = stupid. Again, schools will go broke (even the Texas type schools) when Title Nine comes in and says that they need to pay Jane Tennis player on a similar level to John QB.