Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 0

Herman, Messingham and Numbers

In Herman's last year at Rice they averaged 41 ppg, the year after he left they averaged 18. In 3 years here we averaged 22. The year before he got to Ohio State they averaged 28, since he has been there they averaged 41. Are those difference due to a different scheme or different play calling here or it just a matter of a difference in the talent level he was coaching vs. the talent level of the opponents. Since Messingham took over we have averaged 24 ppg. Does that mean that Herman was a success at 22 ppg and Messingham is a failure at 24.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 66.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 546
    Given: 345

Re: Herman, Messingham and Numbers

This year it is more like 20.5. Is he getting worse with every passing (check that - running game) game?

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Legend
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 194
    Given: 36

Quote Originally Posted by CyCy View Post
    In Herman's last year at Rice they averaged 41 ppg, the year after he left they averaged 18. In 3 years here we averaged 22. The year before he got to Ohio State they averaged 28, since he has been there they averaged 41. Are those difference due to a different scheme or different play calling here or it just a matter of a difference in the talent level he was coaching vs. the talent level of the opponents. Since Messingham took over we have averaged 24 ppg. Does that mean that Herman was a success at 22 ppg and Messingham is a failure at 24.
    Urban Meyer runs that offense at OSU, herman is his puppet. Also the Big ten sucks.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,326
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 6

Herman is talented obviously. People use the talent to work with as an excuse (yes it is easier) but he averaged 44 ppg at Rice. I kinda doubt Rice is pulling 5* kids. The teams/competition is different but come on

Addict
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 249
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by CyCy View Post
    Neither Herman or Mess have been successful at Iowa State. I don't know where people are coming up with the idea that we were happy with what Herman did while he was here. He was just as bad as far as I'm concerned.

What really has me worried though is that Rhoads is the only constant. I love Rhoads, but what is it that has led his teams to always have had horrible offenses, no matter who the OC is?

We MUST establish some kind of running game IMO. But when you listen to Rhoads sometimes, he makes it sound as if we are going to use the pass to set up the run. You can't have much success coming at it from that approach IMO. You MUST have some kind of running game or you are toast IMO. And hopefully the running game doesn't have to consist of your QB getting the most carries and the most yards.

Legend
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 226
    Given: 172

Oh good, another one...

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 687
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 348

By the fact that Urban hired Herman, I think it's safe to say Herman is probably decent at what he does. Also, Herman does call plays, it's just than Urban has veto power.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    Neither Herman or Mess have been successful at Iowa State. I don't know where people are coming up with the idea that we were happy with what Herman did while he was here. He was just as bad as far as I'm concerned.

What really has me worried though is that Rhoads is the only constant. I love Rhoads, but what is it that has led his teams to always have had horrible offenses, no matter who the OC is?

We MUST establish some kind of running game IMO. But when you listen to Rhoads sometimes, he makes it sound as if we are going to use the pass to set up the run. You can't have much success coming at it from that approach IMO. You MUST have some kind of running game or you are toast IMO. And hopefully the running game doesn't have to consist of your QB getting the most carries and the most yards.
    Idea is that with better talent his offense would be better. And it's clear we have better talent, especially at the skill positions.

Addict
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 74
    Given: 120

Quote Originally Posted by Luth4Cy View Post
    By the fact that Urban hired Herman, I think it's safe to say Herman is probably decent at what he does. Also, Herman does call plays, it's just than Urban has veto power.
    I assume that means that Rhoads has this "veto power" too? Can't believe that Messingham calls the entire game without discussion and, if need be, interruption from our head coach...

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Tornado man View Post
    I assume that means that Rhoads has this "veto power" too? Can't believe that Messingham calls the entire game without discussion and, if need be, interruption from our head coach...
    That's not how Rhoads operates.

Pro
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 927
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 214
    Given: 304

To run the Herman Offense you need a dynamic QB that can make people miss. In addition, this QB has to have a good arm, be durable and faster than the Linebackers across from him. This is a tall order. Arnaud had a good arm and was a tough runner, but he didn't have the speed to break big plays. The way he ran that offense was bruising and hard to watch because he took a beating. In McFarland's Offense I thought Arnaud looked great.

In my opinion, Herman's offense puts way too much pressure on the QB and I really wish we would just get over it, go back to pro set or a throw first spread. Then force the opposing QB's to run "hit 'em coming off the bus" and win games by controlling the clock. The idea of having a run first zone read offense when we don't have Terrelle Pryor or Seneca for that matter is unwise.

“Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun.”
    Alan Wilson Watts

Rookie
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 700
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 6

Messingham is working with more talent and a weeker Big 12. I would take Herman over Mess any day.
    Mess just is not an offensive mind. I almost believe he could give me the play book and I could do just as good a job as him. I at least know when I see Iowa put 6 guys at the line of scrimage and LBs up tight to NOT freaking run twice right into the strength of the Iowa D.

Walk On
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 33

I would be curious what the average rushing and passing yards would be between the two. Looking at the number of 3 and outs would also be interesting.

Anyone that says that talent level and competition level doesn't matter in points scored is crazy. Also, the OC is in charge of developing our QB's. That is part of my frustration. I think that the talent level that Sam and Grant came into ISU is much higher then previous QB's but they don't seem to improve much while they are here like other positions such as LB.

Legend
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 226

Quote Originally Posted by Cypower69 View Post
    I would be curious what the average rushing and passing yards would be between the two. Looking at the number of 3 and outs would also be interesting.

Anyone that says that talent level and competition level doesn't matter in points scored is crazy. Also, the OC is in charge of developing our QB's. That is part of my frustration. I think that the talent level that Sam and Grant came into ISU is much higher then previous QB's but they don't seem to improve much while they are here like other positions such as LB.
    Based on what? Sam has played a mere 5 games and Grant 0. I will give you Jantz and Barnett but he only had 1 year with them as OC

Addict
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 51
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 117
    Given: 24

I thought messingham did a pretty darn good job last year. We had spotty QB play-- which spells nightmares for almost any offense-- but managed a bowl game. I certainly didn't think he was perfect, but I had hopes this year would be better with the better talent.

Two games in, not so much.