Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 111
    Given: 108

When to file a car insurance claim

This could also be a post about the general lack of respect for others' vehicles in JTS parking lots. In two home games I've got several scratches and a dent. All on the passenger door. This is a 2013 vehicle so I'm considering filing a claim. The scratches aren't huge but noticeable. The dent is right behind the mirror and about the size of a baseball. I could probably live with it but hate to with the new car. My deductible is only $100 but I'm how much my premium will go up if I file. And maybe I should wait until after football season?

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 125
    Given: 17

Re: When to file a car insurance claim

Why on earth do you have a $100 deductible? Save yourself some money and raise your deductible. If you have a 2013 model vehicle you can afford to raise it and put more money in your pocket.

And what is it going to cost you to fix it all? If you're considering a claim over, say $500, just pay it out of pocket. If you're looking at $1,000 repair they'd have to raise your premium $30/month (doubtful) for you to lose money on it.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    Why on earth do you have a $100 deductible? Save yourself some money and raise your deductible. If you have a 2013 model vehicle you can afford to raise it and put more money in your pocket.

And what is it going to cost you to fix it all? If you're considering a claim over, say $500, just pay it out of pocket. If you're looking at $1,000 repair they'd have to raise your premium $30/month (doubtful) for you to lose money on it.
    Comprehensive is $100 for this very reason. Collision is $500. And when I switched to esurance the $100 comp was cheaper than my previous $500.

But I guess that was part of my question, I have no idea how much it would cost to fix. Do I just go get estimates then decide?

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 199
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 0

It depends on the panel and the size of the panel that needs repainted. I think the paint for the hood on my Pilot was about $800 and that included extra clear coat, I can't remember if that includes the new hood.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 125
    Given: 17

Quote Originally Posted by 1100011CS View Post
    But I guess that was part of my question, I have no idea how much it would cost to fix. Do I just go get estimates then decide?
    If you don't care about the cost of your premium just file the claim. If you do care get an estimate first. Any body shop worth their salt should be able to do a free estimate in about 5 minutes.

All-Star
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 886
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 53
    Given: 101

Yes, you need to know how much it is going to cost out of pocket prior to making a decision. Should be very simple math at that point.

Are you parking on hard surface lots? We leave plenty of space between us and the vehicle next to us in the grass lots. I don't know if it would even be possible for us to get door dinged in the grass lots.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CYme View Post
    Yes, you need to know how much it is going to cost out of pocket prior to making a decision. Should be very simple math at that point.

Are you parking on hard surface lots? We leave plenty of space between us and the vehicle next to us in the grass lots. I don't know if it would even be possible for us to get door dinged in the grass lots.
    G6
    They aren't door dings. The scratches look like something fell against it and the dent...I have no idea. It's right behind the passenger side mirror on the door.