Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 42

Post Game Write-up

My new blog entry is up with my write-up on the game last night...I'm glad I took the night to sleep on it, because last night it might have been pretty depressing.
    Juice blogs » The Cyclones

An Ugly Night at the Knapp by Jerry Hales
    :: December 6th, 2007 :: 10:15 am

Coach McDermott summed it up pretty well in his postgame conference when he said “I will never watch that game tape for the rest of my life”. The Cyclones were outhustled, outshot, outrebounded, and outmanned by Drake for 40 minutes last night. While it seemed that the Bulldogs could do no wrong offensively, every time you turned around we were turning it over or giving up another offensive rebound. To me the most disheartening thing was that every loose ball belonged to Drake while we played tentatively.

The Bad-Mismatches
    We couldn’t match up with all the shooters that they had on the court. While they are a much smaller team, they can all shoot it and also put it on the deck and go to the hoop if our slower big guys come out. You would think this would work to our advantage on offense to get the ball inside, but they packed it in with their zone while pressuring out front with their two guards and we hardly got a sniff at the paint while getting outscored something like 28-10 inside.

The Ugly-Handling the Pressure
    For lack of a better option, Bryan Petersen has been getting plenty of minutes to fill the role of a steady and in control ball handler and a solid shooter. Last night, he turned it over 6 times and did not score. Personally I disagree with the people that say he doesn’t have a place on this team, as I think he’d be a great role player to compliment a more athletic point guard. His problem is that he is undersized and not athletic enough to get away from pressure. Enter Diante Garrett, who is the trendy pick to take all of Petersen’s minutes away from him by most angry Cyclone fans. In 17 minutes last night, Diante had 4 turnovers and 0 points as well. He seemed careless with the ball on the press and had many tipped passes that came dangerously close to becoming turnovers also. I wish this was the point where I could disclose the name of our saving grace at the point, but this is the hand we’re dealt for this season.

The Fugly-The Effort
    I can handle an ugly defeat on occasion. Every team is going to have an off night, and once in a while that night coincides with another team having their best night of the year. My biggest frustration in the whole game was the attitude of the players in general while things were heading south. This is the point where you need to get ****** as a unit and decide enough is enough and get tough. It seemed to me that we packed up and decided to just try to endure the rest of the game and get home. I am guessing that this will be addressed in a big way at practice today and tomorrow.

Other notes
    -Anybody who had heard that Wesley Johnson was possibly going to take a medical redshirt this season may have been surprised that he played last night. He helped us on offense but was a liability on defense against the smaller quicker players. McDermott addressed this in the post game press conference and said that he is planning to play against Iowa on Saturday, but the 9 day break after that game will go a long way in determining whether or not he finishes the season based on how much progress the ankle shows. NCAA rules allow you to take a medical redshirt if you play in less than 30% of the games, which would be roughly 9 games.

-Congratulations to the Twister Sisters for handling Iowa at Hilton last night. The Cyclone women won 58-44 and made me wish I would have left at halftime from the Knapp Center and headed back to catch their game. They will head down to the Knapp themselves on Sunday at 2 to play the Drake Women.

-Good luck to the Cyclone Volleyball team as they head up to Madison, WI tomorrow night to do battle with Cal in the “sweet sixteen” of the NCAA Volleyball Tourney. ISU is offering bus transportation to the game for anybody interested. The deadline is today at noon to sign up. Details are at Bus Trip Offered For Friday’s Volleyball Match - Iowa State University Athletics Official Web Site - www.CYCLONES.com - Iowa State Cyclones Sports

A Positive Note-
    I would be shirking my duty as a Cyclone optimist if I didn’t try to end on a positive note. Immediately after the game last night all I could think of for positive things were that we didn’t have any MVC teams left on the schedule for the year (0-3 vs the Valley this season) and we were one game closer to being in the offseason mode of eternal optimism. After sleeping on it though, I saw some small bright spots with Sean Haluska and Charles Boozer each shooting well. Also, I at least have faith that the above problems will be addressed in practice with Coach Mac at the helm. Finally, if we can get by Iowa we will have a much needed break to get Wesley Johnson, Clark, and Hubalek healthy and hopefully back to speed. Well, that’s about all I’ve got right now. I’d love to hear your take on things in Cycloneland.

Im just glad I have Homan as my bodyguard, Eustachy joked. If I ever make it real big and get to drive a limo everyday, hell be driving it. I thought he came off the bench like somebody was stealing his cow or something.

http://blogs.dmjuice.com/?cat=43

Pro
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 752
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

Re: Post Game Write-up

Quote Originally Posted by tigershoops31 View Post
    Coach McDermott summed it up pretty well in his postgame conference when he said I will never watch that game tape for the rest of my life.

If I were GMAC, I'd make the assistants watch it with the players? I'd want every single player to see how poorly we played and force them to sit through that debacle again!!

Well, everyone but Lucca. I have heard that he was at the ISU vs. Iowa women's game. Can anyone confirm this? I know the team can't take him to away games, but I'm surprised he wasn't sitting in the stands behind the bench since it was such a close (distance wise) road game.

Some people wear Superman pajamas. Superman wears Chuck Norris pajamas.

Addict
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,420
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 42

Quote Originally Posted by psycln11 View Post
    If I were GMAC, I'd make the assistants watch it with the players? I'd want every single player to see how poorly we played and force them to sit through that debacle again!!

Well, everyone but Lucca. I have heard that he was at the ISU vs. Iowa women's game. Can anyone confirm this? I know the team can't take him to away games, but I'm surprised he wasn't sitting in the stands behind the bench since it was such a close (distance wise) road game.
    Yeah I thought about that last night after he said that on the post game show. I do think it's best sometimes to just forget about a game like that, but can you imagine if that was Eustachy? My roommate was a manager for him, and they had to go through game tapes and pause it for each individual break down and chart them. Then they would go through each break down on film with the players. We wouldn't have any practice time left before Iowa if we did that for last night's game!

Im just glad I have Homan as my bodyguard, Eustachy joked. If I ever make it real big and get to drive a limo everyday, hell be driving it. I thought he came off the bench like somebody was stealing his cow or something.

http://blogs.dmjuice.com/?cat=43

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 131
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by psycln11 View Post
    I'm surprised he wasn't sitting in the stands behind the bench since it was such a close (distance wise) road game.
    Well, he's probably scared ****less to do anything b/c the NCAA is watching him. If he borrows a buddies car then its the Juri situation all over again. If he rides with someone, he's being chauffeured around and he gets dinged!

Better to stick close to home...big brother is watching.