Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22
  1. #1
    Publisher
    Points: 801,319, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    ChrisMWilliams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    16,449
    Points
    801,319
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,047
    Given: 279

  2. #2
    Addict
    Points: 244,148, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registeredSocial
    klamath632's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    9,109
    Points
    244,148
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 578
    Given: 395

    Re: MAILBAG: Still 10 games to go

    You say "still 10 games to go" as if that's a good thing.



  3. #3
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 57,900, Level: 74
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 650
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    CyCloned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Robins, Iowa
    Posts
    4,753
    Points
    57,900
    Level
    74
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 196
    Given: 90

    Re: MAILBAG: Still 10 games to go

    I like your optimism on the rest of the season, but it is going to take some real offense, and so far we have not seen much. Hopefully the team will have some down field passing in games before they are hopelessly out of the games. This team has got to find a way to get away from the 8-9 man in the box defenses. The Hawks and Panthers were both daring ISU to take a shot down field most of the games with single coverage and safeties either lost or supporting underneath.

    I will agree that the defense was much better against Iowa. The possession after ISU cut the lead to 13-7 was very disheartening, but as ISU fans we have all see this before. Still do not understand why ISU can't just kick the ball deep in the endzone there. Iowa starting at the 40 instead of the 25 would have at least taken longer.



  4. #4
    All-Star
    Points: 31,147, Level: 54
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 803
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    1,865
    Points
    31,147
    Level
    54
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 68

    Re: MAILBAG: Still 10 games to go

    I still think this will be a very decent team by the end of the season with 3 - 4 wins. And for the record, that's exactly what I said before the season started. I am a little disappointed in some of the position groups though, I thought we'd show more than we have.


    ISU fans are the greatest in the world. All they ask for is hope and the belief that we have a chance to win every time we step on the field - Johnny Majors (paraphrased)

    Ya gotta have the horses, man - Johnny Orr.

  5. #5
    All-Star
    Points: 22,021, Level: 45
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 529
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    boone7247's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Near the City
    Posts
    1,468
    Points
    22,021
    Level
    45
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 80
    Given: 85

    Re: MAILBAG: Still 10 games to go

    While I get injuries play a roll, I don't get this idea that we can't do this or we can't do that. If that were true then we never would have beat OSU.

    When I was in high school we were horrible at football. Our coaches always told us the things we couldn't do, throw down field run trick plays that kind of thing. Then after I graduated, those coaches finally got tired of ruining high school lives (that is a joke, they are actually good people just bad football coaches), and the new coach came in and all of the sudden the football team started winning. It had nothing to do with talent, as I would guess we were as physically talented of a team as the guys after us if not more so, it was just the coach didn't limit them as to what they could do on the field.

    That said, the idea that they can't do certain things against Iowa/UNI/Tulsa is bull ****. Could they be limited how many times they throw down field, or how often they run the zone read, yes but that doesn't mean they shouldn't do it at all. I know CW doesn't like to criticize play calling, and honestly for the most part he is right, but for the past 3 ISU game, play calling has been horrible. And using excuses of injuries, talent limitations, and guys not making plays to get on Sport Center are cheap and aren't worth bullet to the brain that is needed to erase the image those offensive performances produce.


    A world without yoga pants and Planter's cheese balls, is a world I no longer want to live in.

  6. #6
    Legend
    Points: 211,133, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    MNCyGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    10,740
    Points
    211,133
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 524
    Given: 363

    Re: MAILBAG: Still 10 games to go

    AMC is marathoning Breaking Bad starting Wednesday, so CW if you have a DVR you could save yourself some money and just record it.



  7. #7
    Addict
    Points: 97,725, Level: 97
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 1,325
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    cyclones500's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    9,166
    Points
    97,725
    Level
    97
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 212
    Given: 514

    Re: MAILBAG: Still 10 games to go

    I disagree about exchanging U-M & BYU for cupcakes.

    It would be nice to have more of a cushion early in the season to gain a little easier traction for newcomers. But eventually, you have to play someone, and if you want to be a tournament team, you can't rely solely on Big 12 play for SOS.

    If a team is a little green, they may lose to likely/probably tourney teams (U-M, BYU, perhaps a team or two in Hawaii) or pile up more wins against non-relevant opponents (or risk a bad loss).



  8. #8
    All-Star
    Points: 44,410, Level: 65
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 1,140
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,861
    Points
    44,410
    Level
    65
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 24

    Re: MAILBAG: Still 10 games to go

    No Skippy or Jif answer? Probably a Peter Pan guy.



  9. #9
    Addict
    Points: 117,366, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registeredSocialOverdrive
    cmjh10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    8,325
    Points
    117,366
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,769
    Given: 2,763

    Re: MAILBAG: Still 10 games to go

    Quote Originally Posted by klamath632 View Post
    You say "still 10 games to go" as if that's a good thing.


    Naz Long, the Cowboy Killer

  10. #10
    Addict
    Points: 178,589, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    clonedude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    7,046
    Points
    178,589
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 303
    Given: 0

    Re: MAILBAG: Still 10 games to go

    10 games to go. So we just have to go 6-4 in order to salvage the season. 5-5 or worse and it's a wasted season IMO.

    If you can't go 6-6 in year 5, then that is worthless.

    So.... we need to come up with our 6 wins on the schedule. Where are they? With this offense, I'm not seeing it. At best I'm seeing 3 wins. That is not acceptable in year 5, and I'm sure Paul Rhoads would be the first one to agree with that.

    As CW said time and time again, the Iowa game was a must win. And I'm afraid it was. I would love to be the first to come back on here and eat my words if we win 6 games and go bowling though. I would eat crow like there's no tomorrow.



  11. #11
    Speechless
    Points: 361,682, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Tre4ISU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Estherville
    Posts
    19,230
    Points
    361,682
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 551
    Given: 73

    Re: MAILBAG: Still 10 games to go

    Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    10 games to go. So we just have to go 6-4 in order to salvage the season. 5-5 or worse and it's a wasted season IMO.

    If you can't go 6-6 in year 5, then that is worthless.

    So.... we need to come up with our 6 wins on the schedule. Where are they? With this offense, I'm not seeing it. At best I'm seeing 3 wins. That is not acceptable in year 5, and I'm sure Paul Rhoads would be the first one to agree with that.

    As CW said time and time again, the Iowa game was a must win. And I'm afraid it was. I would love to be the first to come back on here and eat my words if we win 6 games and go bowling though. I would eat crow like there's no tomorrow.
    Dude....brah....it's just a game. It's just a stupid game.


    It's all snark from here on out

  12. #12
    All-Star
    Points: 22,076, Level: 45
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 474
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    dunar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Altoona, IA
    Posts
    1,585
    Points
    22,076
    Level
    45
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 22

    Re: MAILBAG: Still 10 games to go

    Quote Originally Posted by MNCyGuy View Post
    AMC is marathoning Breaking Bad starting Wednesday, so CW if you have a DVR you could save yourself some money and just record it.
    It's also in streaming on Netflix, good way to catch up through season 5 (no commercials to fast forward through). You'd still have to record this season's (5b or 6? the last group of 8 episodes) to get completely caught up.

    My favorite dramatic program on TV right now, probably in the last 5 years or so. Dexter was up there, bu the last season or two have not been as good.


    2012 Big 12 Elimination Competition Champion

    "
    No. Instead, there's a pole. Requires no decoration. I find tinsel distracting."

  13. #13
    Legend
    Points: 211,133, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    MNCyGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    10,740
    Points
    211,133
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 524
    Given: 363

    Re: MAILBAG: Still 10 games to go

    Quote Originally Posted by dunar View Post
    It's also in streaming on Netflix, good way to catch up through season 5 (no commercials to fast forward through). You'd still have to record this season's (5b or 6? the last group of 8 episodes) to get completely caught up.

    My favorite dramatic program on TV right now, probably in the last 5 years or so. Dexter was up there, bu the last season or two have not been as good.
    Interesting someone should say that

    Dexter’s Terrible Final Season and How Breaking Bad Ruined the Series - Hollywood Prospectus Blog - Grantland

    Thought this was a good read.



  14. #14
    Speechless
    Points: 283,511, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    16,675
    Points
    283,511
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 250
    Given: 28

    Re: MAILBAG: Still 10 games to go

    Quote Originally Posted by cyclones500 View Post
    I disagree about exchanging U-M & BYU for cupcakes.

    It would be nice to have more of a cushion early in the season to gain a little easier traction for newcomers. But eventually, you have to play someone, and if you want to be a tournament team, you can't rely solely on Big 12 play for SOS.

    If a team is a little green, they may lose to likely/probably tourney teams (U-M, BYU, perhaps a team or two in Hawaii) or pile up more wins against non-relevant opponents (or risk a bad loss).
    Agreed, a cupcake schedule should only be used when you're not expected to be any good. When your expectations are NCAA tournament, it's important to test yourself in the non-conference portion of your schedule. What good does it do your team to beat up on a bunch of Alabama A&M teams? We already have plenty of those on the schedule this year. Replacing the Michigan and BYU games with more cupcakes wouldn't be beneficial at all.

    I'd rather lose to Michigan and have the chance to beat them than beat up on SW Arkansas St.



  15. #15
    Addict
    Points: 101,528, Level: 99
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 1,522
    Overall activity: 49.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    awd4cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    9,136
    Points
    101,528
    Level
    99
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 760
    Given: 516

    Re: MAILBAG: Still 10 games to go

    Quote Originally Posted by cyclones500 View Post
    I disagree about exchanging U-M & BYU for cupcakes.

    It would be nice to have more of a cushion early in the season to gain a little easier traction for newcomers. But eventually, you have to play someone, and if you want to be a tournament team, you can't rely solely on Big 12 play for SOS.

    If a team is a little green, they may lose to likely/probably tourney teams (U-M, BYU, perhaps a team or two in Hawaii) or pile up more wins against non-relevant opponents (or risk a bad loss).
    Quote Originally Posted by gocubs2118 View Post
    Agreed, a cupcake schedule should only be used when you're not expected to be any good. When your expectations are NCAA tournament, it's important to test yourself in the non-conference portion of your schedule. What good does it do your team to beat up on a bunch of Alabama A&M teams? We already have plenty of those on the schedule this year. Replacing the Michigan and BYU games with more cupcakes wouldn't be beneficial at all.

    I'd rather lose to Michigan and have the chance to beat them than beat up on SW Arkansas St.
    Wrong thread?



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: TBD
  • Iowa State vs. Oklahoma
  • November 1, 2014
  • 07:00 PM