Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19
  1. #1
    Publisher
    Points: 792,340, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    ChrisMWilliams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    16,192
    Points
    792,340
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 791
    Given: 201

    PODCAST: Ben Lamaak on the CF Radio Show


  2. #2
    Legend
    Points: 179,855, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Aclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Des Moines, Ia.
    Posts
    12,817
    Points
    179,855
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 161
    Given: 607

    Re: PODCAST: Ben Lamaak on the CF Radio Show

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMWilliams View Post
    I'm shocked. Shocked, I say!




    Paul Rhoads' players never quit.
    (They just disappear offseason)


  3. #3
    Speechless
    Points: 358,778, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Tre4ISU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Estherville
    Posts
    19,003
    Points
    358,778
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 377
    Given: 54

    Re: PODCAST: Ben Lamaak on the CF Radio Show

    I disagreed with Tron. We allowed 3.6 ypc and Iowa pounded into a team built for the Big 12 for 40 mins.


    I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

    Or so I have read.

  4. #4
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 71,087, Level: 82
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 363
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    isufbcurt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    4,444
    Points
    71,087
    Level
    82
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 522
    Given: 800

    Re: PODCAST: Ben Lamaak on the CF Radio Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Tre4ISU View Post
    I disagreed with Tron. We allowed 3.6 ypc and Iowa pounded into a team built for the Big 12 for 40 mins.
    I am with you Tre. Yeah 3.6 times 3 downs = 10.8 yards and a first down BUT no one other than Iowa is going to run that many times in a game (maybe Tulsa will try but they aren't Iowa). Our defense is build for Big 12 spread.

    Also, Thanks for Lamaak for reiterating what I am always telling people in that UNI front 7 is always moving around slanting/shooting gaps and that ALWAYS disrupts OL. UNI does this because they are undersized and no one else we play really does this.



  5. #5
    Prospect
    Points: 1,197, Level: 9
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 153
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    54
    Points
    1,197
    Level
    9
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

    Re: PODCAST: Ben Lamaak on the CF Radio Show

    Good to hear from Ben but I really want to say that the analysis by Blum, Smith & Williams is spot on!
    Even though I believe in Sam, QB duties need to be shared for the Tulsa game. Rohach needs to play and we need ONE series with Wimberly at Q.B. If we are running the option to “test” the defense let’s give the defense something to worry about.



  6. #6
    Legend
    Points: 168,220, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    The_Architect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Focus Town
    Posts
    11,533
    Points
    168,220
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 307
    Given: 1,188

    Re: PODCAST: Ben Lamaak on the CF Radio Show

    Quote Originally Posted by isufbcurt View Post
    Also, Thanks for Lamaak for reiterating what I am always telling people in that UNI front 7 is always moving around slanting/shooting gaps and that ALWAYS disrupts OL. UNI does this because they are undersized and no one else we play really does this.
    We are undersized, why don't we do it?


    While on live TV, Ford used a vulgar term to describe a private part of the female anatomy, adding that he was “happily married” and “got more than enough to eat at home.”

  7. #7
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 71,087, Level: 82
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 363
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    isufbcurt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    4,444
    Points
    71,087
    Level
    82
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 522
    Given: 800

    Re: PODCAST: Ben Lamaak on the CF Radio Show

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Architect View Post
    We are undersized, why don't we do it?
    Because we aren't as undersized as UNI and it is a gimmick defense mainly used by Pre-High School football teams.



  8. #8
    Pro
    Points: 42,024, Level: 63
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 926
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience PointsYour first Group

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    2,232
    Points
    42,024
    Level
    63
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 58
    Given: 51

    Re: PODCAST: Ben Lamaak on the CF Radio Show

    Quote Originally Posted by isufbcurt View Post
    Because we aren't as undersized as UNI and it is a gimmick defense mainly used by Pre-High School football teams.

    If we know they are going to do it, why are they always so successful against us? Can we not find a way to exploit it?



  9. #9
    Legend
    Points: 168,220, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    The_Architect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Focus Town
    Posts
    11,533
    Points
    168,220
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 307
    Given: 1,188

    Re: PODCAST: Ben Lamaak on the CF Radio Show

    Quote Originally Posted by isufbcurt View Post
    Because we aren't as undersized as UNI and it is a gimmick defense mainly used by Pre-High School football teams.
    But it clearly works, right? Their gimmick has screwed us up in the past 3 meetings with them and we've been unable to establish anything offensively because of it.


    While on live TV, Ford used a vulgar term to describe a private part of the female anatomy, adding that he was “happily married” and “got more than enough to eat at home.”

  10. #10
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 167,899, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    NickTheGreat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Johnston
    Posts
    4,008
    Points
    167,899
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 213
    Given: 274

    Re: PODCAST: Ben Lamaak on the CF Radio Show

    Quote Originally Posted by isufan View Post
    If we know they are going to do it, why are they always so successful against us? Can we not find a way to exploit it?
    That would be on the OC. So . . .



  11. #11
    All-Star
    Points: 64,583, Level: 78
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 267
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    BBHMagic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,686
    Points
    64,583
    Level
    78
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 81
    Given: 172

    Re: PODCAST: Ben Lamaak on the CF Radio Show

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Architect View Post
    But it clearly works, right? Their gimmick has screwed us up in the past 3 meetings with them and we've been unable to establish anything offensively because of it.
    Anything that is gimmicky is high risk-high reward, something you need to do to beat a FBS team when you are FCS. It probably wouldn't fly on a consistent basis if we tried it against other Big XII teams. Plus, our defense has been just fine the way it is under Wally.


    Cy has balls of steel.

  12. #12
    All-Star
    Points: 31,445, Level: 54
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 505
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    CykoAGR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Waukee, IA
    Posts
    1,675
    Points
    31,445
    Level
    54
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 68

    Re: PODCAST: Ben Lamaak on the CF Radio Show

    Quote Originally Posted by BBHMagic View Post
    Anything that is gimmicky is high risk-high reward, something you need to do to beat a FBS team when you are FCS. It probably wouldn't fly on a consistent basis if we tried it against other Big XII teams. Plus, our defense has been just fine the way it is under Wally.
    Im not saying that we should change schemes BUT. . .


    ISU always talks about talent or the lack thereof, especially on the DL. So your theory above (assuming that its true) should actually fit ISU really well, right?

    I mean our DL is far from Alabama talent level, and realistically gets neutralized against decent B12 teams. If this high risk, high reward system works for UNI against BCS talent then why wouldnt it work for ISU against better B12 talent?

    Again I dont want our defense to change (for the love of GOD its the only thing that we seem to be decent at) but this theory is full of holes.


    “It’s beyond pride. It’s a restored trust. There’s a confidence again, a passion that teeters on swagger. More than anything, (Iowa State head coach Paul Rhoads) has restored the Iowa State “it” factor, the steadfast belief that it is great to be a Cyclone...the man’s enthusiasm is genuine to the core...”
    – columnist Sean Keeler, Des Moines Register

  13. #13
    All-Star
    Points: 64,583, Level: 78
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 267
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    BBHMagic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,686
    Points
    64,583
    Level
    78
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 81
    Given: 172

    Re: PODCAST: Ben Lamaak on the CF Radio Show

    Quote Originally Posted by CykoAGR View Post
    Im not saying that we should change schemes BUT. . .


    ISU always talks about talent or the lack thereof, especially on the DL. So your theory above (assuming that its true) should actually fit ISU really well, right?

    I mean our DL is far from Alabama talent level, and realistically gets neutralized against decent B12 teams. If this high risk, high reward system works for UNI against BCS talent then why wouldnt it work for ISU against better B12 talent?

    Again I dont want our defense to change (for the love of GOD its the only thing that we seem to be decent at) but this theory is full of holes.
    Like I said, as a gimmicky defense its hit or miss. They happened to hit on us. I would also assume it would be a very difficult defense to start the season off with even though they prepare for it in practice. If you see something like that later in the year at least your offense could have created their identity and already know how they want to attack anybody they face.


    Cy has balls of steel.

  14. #14
    All-Star
    Points: 31,445, Level: 54
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 505
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    CykoAGR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Waukee, IA
    Posts
    1,675
    Points
    31,445
    Level
    54
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 68

    Re: PODCAST: Ben Lamaak on the CF Radio Show

    Quote Originally Posted by BBHMagic View Post
    Like I said, as a gimmicky defense its hit or miss. They happened to hit on us. I would also assume it would be a very difficult defense to start the season off with even though they prepare for it in practice. If you see something like that later in the year at least your offense could have created their identity and already know how they want to attack anybody they face.

    Im far from an expert so take this with a grain of salt. They seem to do pretty well against ISU for the past two games (11 & 13) and against Iowa before that and against Wisky last year.

    Of course everyone seems to manhandle ISU offensive line so perhaps that is not a good measuring stick.


    “It’s beyond pride. It’s a restored trust. There’s a confidence again, a passion that teeters on swagger. More than anything, (Iowa State head coach Paul Rhoads) has restored the Iowa State “it” factor, the steadfast belief that it is great to be a Cyclone...the man’s enthusiasm is genuine to the core...”
    – columnist Sean Keeler, Des Moines Register

  15. #15
    All-Star
    Points: 64,583, Level: 78
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 267
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    BBHMagic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,686
    Points
    64,583
    Level
    78
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 81
    Given: 172

    Re: PODCAST: Ben Lamaak on the CF Radio Show

    Quote Originally Posted by CykoAGR View Post
    Im far from an expert so take this with a grain of salt. They seem to do pretty well against ISU for the past two games (11 & 13) and against Iowa before that and against Wisky last year.

    Of course everyone seems to manhandle ISU offensive line so perhaps that is not a good measuring stick.
    I'm not an expert either but I do think it would be difficult offense to face early in the year. And maybe someday it will be more common, I don't know. I'm sure some people thought the spread offense was gimmicky when it first started and now its very common.


    Cy has balls of steel.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: FOX
  • Iowa State vs. Baylor
  • September 27, 2014
  • 07:20 PM