Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 6

Question about GMAC...

Does anyone know if Greg's past teams were good rebounder's?

Of all the things that are not going well for ISU this is probably the most disconcerting for me. I can understand the offensive struggles and turnovers, but defending and rebounding don't depend on putting the ball in the basket, and they should be much more consistent.

Drake's starting lineup include 3 guards and 2 forwards. The forwards are listed at 6-8 and 6-5. ISU started 6-11 JH, 6-8 CB, and 6-6 RC, and yet we were out rebounded 27-23.

ISU's rebounding stats for the year are as follows:

Drake 23/27 -4
    OSU 40/49 -9
    UNI 28/39 -11
    UM 27/39 -12
    BU 25/26 -1
    Cent 34/20 +14
    Win 46/32 +14

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 169
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

Re: Question about GMAC...

A guy I work with played w/ Greg at UNI and is still pretty good friends with him. He told me when we hired him that this was one thing that we were going to have to get used to. As soon as a shot goes up 2 or 3 guys peel off and head back to defend. You won't give up any fast break points that way, but you won't get many 2nd chance points either.

It seems to have worked at UNI pretty well.

Patience my young padawans.

What ever happened to truth, justice and the American Way?

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 408
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCy View Post
    A guy I work with played w/ Greg at UNI and is still pretty good friends with him. He told me when we hired him that this was one thing that we were going to have to get used to. As soon as a shot goes up 2 or 3 guys peel off and head back to defend. You won't give up any fast break points that way, but you won't get many 2nd chance points either.

It seems to have worked at UNI pretty well.

Patience my young padawans.
    That is nothing new at ISU. TF and LE employed the same strategy. That doesn't account for why we are giving up so many offensive rebounds.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 176
    Given: 208

I think Jiri is still hurting and has not returned to his form from the 2nd half of last year. The guy's attitude seems like a yo-yo.

AT looks to be coming along but isn't there yet. Brackins is a streaky freshman. Cory looks to still get pushed around a bit.

All around things stink. Shooting, rebounding, guard play - you can pretty much name it. And last night, Drake embarrassed us on the defensive end of the court by not missing from behind the arc. And some of those shots came a good distance behind the line.

Ugh.

We need shooters.

Prospect
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 367
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Someone has to question coaching, so I will

Bring on the negative rep. There is no way this team of players should ever lose to Drake like this. We play no defense, can't get the ball across court, and have no offense AT ALL! Who has an offense made up of only set plays? I questioned the hire when we made it - I didn't like McD at UNI - and now my fears are becoming reality.

I think McD thinks he can take guys like Peterson and make them players. Maybe in the Valley a guy like that plays as a senior. That won't work in the Big XII. When everyone else in the state can see this, but he can't, I have to wonder. We are a slow down, fingernails on a chalkboard basketball team.

I haven't turned off an ISU basketball game IN MY LIFE!! I did last night. There is absolutely no excuse for this. I can stomach a loss, but not an effortless flogging at the hands of the crappiest team in the land where we have absolutely NO ANSWERS. MCD's whole plan seems to be to fire away from 3. This sucks and I am fed up.

Rookie
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 385
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 2

Re: Someone has to question coaching, so I will

I agree mostly with your comments, I wouldn't mind a team losing by 30 if the coaches and players gave it their best out there. But yesterday there was no effort on defense, and the offense seemed lost and out of place. I dont know what has transpired from last year, but McDermott's second season is likely another wash...

All-Star
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 35
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Brocklanders- I, for one, appreciate any and all opinions of Cyclone fans, positive or negative. I like to go on CycloneFanatic.com to see what other Cyclone fans are feeling and saying about our teams. A lot of people might disagree with your opinions and give you negative reps, might I appreciate you sharing your thoughts.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 399
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 285

Face it boys Drake has one of the best teams in the state this year and ISU is dragging up the rear.

Greg McDermott reminds me of Lynn Nance...a heck of a nice guy who just could NOT RECRUIT good enough talent to win at Iowa State.

Mo Valley 6 wins and GMac 0 wins...sez it all!!!!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 399
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 285

Quote Originally Posted by Brocklanders View Post
    Bring on the negative rep. There is no way this team of players should ever lose to Drake like this. We play no defense, can't get the ball across court, and have no offense AT ALL! Who has an offense made up of only set plays? I questioned the hire when we made it - I didn't like McD at UNI - and now my fears are becoming reality.

I think McD thinks he can take guys like Peterson and make them players. Maybe in the Valley a guy like that plays as a senior. That won't work in the Big XII. When everyone else in the state can see this, but he can't, I have to wonder. We are a slow down, fingernails on a chalkboard basketball team.

I haven't turned off an ISU basketball game IN MY LIFE!! I did last night. There is absolutely no excuse for this. I can stomach a loss, but not an effortless flogging at the hands of the crappiest team in the land where we have absolutely NO ANSWERS. MCD's whole plan seems to be to fire away from 3. This sucks and I am fed up.

Just wait a few years Brock and maybe Pollard will get smart and finally hire a good basketball coach like Eustasy Floyd or Orr!!

I can remember the days of championship basketball and owning Drake Now its just the other way around and Drake OWNS IOWA STATE!!!!

Pro
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Can anybody answer the original question asked in this thread?

Pro
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

The purpose of this thread was specific to rebounding. Thus I would like to know why it has been merged with another thread that wasn't about rebounding?

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 176
    Given: 208

I don't think Greg thought he could bring a guy in like Peterson and make him a "player". I think he brought him in knowing he had zero experienced point guards returning and needed a guy that could help out while the younger guys got used to college play. Similar situation with Sean, we need scoring desperately. Thing is, Sean isn't helping us there whatsoever. Maybe a couple late baskets last night will help his confidence - we sure need it.

Winning a game takes effort from the players and coaches - so I don't think it's out of the question to think the coaches have made mistakes this year. I'd bet you all my CF credits that if you asked Greg if he's made mistakes this season, he would unequivocally say "yes".

I do think it's rather premature to think Greg has failed, can't cut it at this level, etc. He's just getting started with his 2nd year here. He's dealt with major defections both years - at critical positions (aka guards). Had to deal with suspensions both years with this one being the worst (Lucca). Player leaves this year right as the season gets started (Brister). And to make things even better, his best players have been injured at various degrees (Wesley, Clark, Jiri, Brackins).

All of those things were almost completely out of his control. He didn't get his kids hurt. He didn't ask the NCAA to suspend Lucca. He didn't tell Brister to be late and sour on the program.

We're under a black cloud right now. Greg's not going to cut a single corner. We poke fun at and get frustrated with K-State because of their ethical issues. Would you rather be them? Winning the "wrong" way?

I wouldn't.

I feel confident Greg can get us there, with time. If he can't, then by all means we move on. We've got an AD that isn't afraid to do such.

But until that time, it would be real swell if we could support this coach, this team and this program. Because they're all hurting right now and need our support.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 449
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CyBobby View Post
    Face it boys Drake has one of the best teams in the state this year and ISU is dragging up the rear.

Greg McDermott reminds me of Lynn Nance...a heck of a nice guy who just could NOT RECRUIT good enough talent to win at Iowa State.

Mo Valley 6 wins and GMac 0 wins...sez it all!!!!
    I agree with you that ISU is dragging up the rear in the state.

However I don't think McDermott is a bad recruiter...just had bad luck. He lost 3 guards last year, one quit this year, one is ineligible, and our best one is hurt. We've still got CB who I will think will be a great player in years to come. It also sounds like we've got some descent player coming in next year. I just think it takes time to build a solid program.

Addict
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 8
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 7

I just wish we'd finally catch a break on something. We had all those players leave with the coaching change, then 3 of the guards we brought in either left of got kicked off the team. We've had 3 of our top players in WJ, Jiri, and Clark hurt this year then the Staiger mess which he's a player we could REALLY use right now then Brister leaves which makes me wonder if he could be getting some meaningful minutes right now. It really makes me wonder "what next?" For once can't we have all the chips fall just the right way so we can see what we have?

Go Cubs Go!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 766
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 381

Quote Originally Posted by CyBobby View Post
    Just wait a few years Brock and maybe Pollard will get smart and finally hire a good basketball coach like Eustasy Floyd or Orr!!
    I would think that if Pollard has to let McD go in the future that would be a direct reflection of Pollard's success (or lack of success) as AD. If that were to happen then JP better hope football is going strong because JP might just have to follow McD out the door if it came to that! JP hired McD...he didn't inherit him. So it would be important for JP to do anything and everything to assist McD in being successful!

There is time though...patience isn't easy...but that is what we need to have.

Last edited by cyfanatic; 12-06-2007 at 09:26 AM.