Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Publisher
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,067
    Given: 285

Speechless
    Overall activity: 76.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 646
    Given: 406

Re: Blum: Running game intervention

...except we really can't run worth beans......if there are no holes/gaps we need to be more deceptive in our plays....right now we run vanilla....our SR UNI running game was better than the one against Iowa, so that is a bad trend....having the longest run of ten yards is mickey mouse unacceptable...who is the best blocker on this team or do we have one.....it is not that the fans mind watching runs, but they need to be more than one yard to get excited......we hopefully await the improvement in the tulsa make or break game...

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Legend
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 740
    Given: 1,249

Just think back to two years ago during one of Iowa State's finest offensive stretches in history. In those three straight Big 12 wins over Texas Tech, Kansas and the legendary effort against Oklahoma State, you were electric. You averaged 270 yards per game rushing in those three wins. That final overtime drive against Oklahoma State will never be forgotten; Jeff Woody pounding away behind those big uglies and running over fools. Dang that was a beautiful sight. And the running backs who orchestrated that effort are all still on campus today
    The QB ran for something like 300 yards on 55 carries in those three games. Against Oklahoma State, they threw 60 passes. These teams took the pass and took the QB run when they were given, and the RB running game thrived because of it. In my opinion, the best way to improve the running back running game (along with getting the lineman healthy) this year is to throw the ball more. You need to hurt it so that it may live.

If you take the sacks out of the running game, and add those yardage and plays to the pass game, here is what ISU is averaging per play this year.

3.6 yds per play per run - 0 turnovers
    5.9 yds per play per pass - 2 turnovers

If you go out and throw the ball 50 times this next week, odds are that you'll commit more turnovers, but you also may be able to start setting up your running game to be more efficient, so you can run it more and then ultimately commit less turnovers, or at least have a more effective offense.

I'm no football expert -- heck I didn't even play, so take it for what it's worth.

Brett Blume
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 251
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 200
    Given: 156

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    The QB ran for something like 300 yards on 55 carries in those three games. Against Oklahoma State, they threw 60 passes. These teams took the pass and took the QB run when they were given, and the RB running game thrived because of it. In my opinion, the best way to improve the running back running game (along with getting the lineman healthy) this year is to throw the ball more. You need to hurt it so that it may live.

If you take the sacks out of the running game, and add those yardage and plays to the pass game, here is what ISU is averaging per play this year.

3.6 yds per play per run - 0 turnovers
    5.9 yds per play per pass - 2 turnovers

If you go out and throw the ball 50 times this next week, odds are that you'll commit more turnovers, but you also may be able to start setting up your running game to be more efficient, so you can run it more and then ultimately commit less turnovers, or at least have a more effective offense.

I'm no football expert -- heck I didn't even play, so take it for what it's worth.
    Great points. Definitely agree a consistent, effective pass game would be huge. Regardless, no matter who is running, 59 yards running isn't going to win any games.

Twitter.com/brentblum

Pro
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 1,126
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 126
    Given: 200

Plain & simple, we need better OL play. RBs are not the largest part of the problem in the running game.
    Also, too many of our runs are long developing plays. When your OL cannot execute well enough, the plays had better be a little quicker to develop and not involve a lot of zone-reads, long-developing counters, or any outside zones where are RBs are running too much laterally & not getting up field quickly.

If we are to continue with the spread, why not show jet sweep action on almost every play. Put Nealy at this position along with Wimberly, and have the 2 show that motion most every play. Use White as the between the tackles back & spell him with Shontrelle & Woody.

“I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times”-Bruce Lee

4 Point Plan

1. Start Up 2. Cash In 3. Sell Out 4. Bro Down

Speechless
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 266
    Given: 29

Here's an intervention: STOP RUNNING IT UP THE MIDDLE WITH SHONTRELLE!!!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 464
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 260
    Given: 361

Hopeully, running game, listened, took it to heart, and is on its way to an Offensive Facility for Rehabilitation led by Seneca Wallace and Troy Davis.

“Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun.”
    Alan Wilson Watts

All-Star
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 12
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 85
    Given: 87

Just think back to two years ago during one of Iowa State's finest offensive stretches in history. In those three straight Big 12 wins over Texas Tech, Kansas and the legendary effort against Oklahoma State, you were electric. You averaged 270 yards per game rushing in those three wins. That final overtime drive against Oklahoma State will never be forgotten; Jeff Woody pounding away behind those big uglies and running over fools. Dang that was a beautiful sight. And the running backs who orchestrated that effort are all still on campus today
    Where did that lengendary quarterback go? You know, the one that wasn't given a snap at the end of last year.

Pro
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 1,126
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 126
    Given: 200

Quote Originally Posted by dirtyninety View Post
    Where did that lengendary quarterback go? You know, the one that wasn't given a snap at the end of last year.
    You mean Barnett or someone else?

“I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times”-Bruce Lee

4 Point Plan

1. Start Up 2. Cash In 3. Sell Out 4. Bro Down

Starter
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 501
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 120
    Given: 169

Mess has always given up on the run game too early in games. Against Iowa he gave up in the first qtr.

Must run sideways against strong teams, and run quick WR screens. If you can't blow them off the line up front, then you better try going around them. This will SPREAD out the field and SPREAD out the linebackers. Hopefully by SPREADING them out a bit, it will allow for some surprise runs up the middle later on.

Maybe we can call this offensive philosophy the "field-widener-outer" offense.

I hate to say it, but I think I am going to chart the runs from the Iowa game. From seeing it in person and watching it once on replay, I would swear we ran up the gut all 1st quarter, to no avail. 2nd qtr we abandoned the run entirely. 2nd half, we started running sideways and getting yards. That opened up some passing action. And then things started to work. Too late.

It makes me puke to think we attacked where they were strong and we were weak, and didn't attack where they were weak and we were strong. Sun Tzu says "Messingham sucks."

So I think that's what I saw, but would like to have stats to prove it. I will do it if I get bored and/or depressed enough.

Addict
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 879
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 228
    Given: 531

Specific to the running game: This is by no means a cure-all, but one player needs to get the ball more often.

He is commonly known as "James White."

James White career statistics

I must emphasize the following additional points:
    • Increased touches almost certainly will lower averages, and such. Use grain-of-salt with stats assessment.
    • I have no problem whatsoever with using RB depth to augment a primary ball carrier — especially if said ball carrier is "James White." (quips aside, this is no knock on solid contributions from a talented unit)
    • Other details obviously apply to success of the rushing attack (line play, play calling, pre-game strategy, threat of passing offense...).
    • This comment is not aimed at Blum's piece, which is well-researched and reliably readable.

Starter
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 616
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 4

Just to throw some more proof out there if you compare Weisman (145 yards total but on 35 carries) to our RB's last Saturday. Johnson had the most touches of our group with 6. If Weisman only got 6 touches Saturday his first 6 would have only gone for 33 yards. Give him 15 touches (total of our RB group) and he would have only had 76 yards compared to 49 by our group but also was in a majority of the game so was in the flow. Instead he was a feature back getting touches just about every drive and finished with 145 yards. I don't think it's a RB problem, it's a utilization problem.

Walk On
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 22
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 4

James White has proven to be the most effective RB. It's not pretty and he isn't the fastest guy on the team but he runs North and South and gains yards. He should receive at least 20 carries, imo, and be complimented by Aaron Wimberly for a change of pace. They have been the most effective through 2 games despite a lack of carries. James White has proven over his entire career to be a reliable back. We must have a feature back to have a successful running game. 5 carries will not win a football game.

All-Star
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 1,245
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

With the speed of our RB's minus Woody plus the fact we are not getting any push in the middle, the fly sweep off motion, power and option and toss sweep from the 2 back pistol is a great way to get our speed on the edge of the defense (where they need to be anyway) and force the safeties have to play the run. We can put one of our TE's or Woody in the power set as the lead blocker. If we use the TE, we keep a pass receiver in the game for play-action stuff. This helps to take Sam out of the running game and opens up the field more for passing lanes with the safeties having to decide if its run or pass. Also, this gives Sam the option of the famous Tavon Austin "pop pass" to the motion guy.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 460
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 208
    Given: 96

The real problem first downs. If you can't get first downs, you can't get as many plays and you can't get as many carries for running backs. Even if one guy got all of the RB carries against Iowa he would have had half the number Wiesman did. Add to that the fact that when you get down more than a couple scores, you have to pretty much abandon the run.

A health OL and QB would probably improve the running game. A vertical passing game that made other teams defend more than 7 yards of the field would help too.