Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29

Thread: Running Backs

  1. #1
    All-Star
    Points: 13,394, Level: 35
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 656
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Cyinthenorth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    North Iowa
    Posts
    1,282
    Points
    13,394
    Level
    35
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 50

    Running Backs

    If CPR was to announce that ISU was going to use just 2 RB's for the remainder of the season, who would you like to see and why?

    I'll just start by saying that I'd love to see White featured as the primary back with Shontrelle spelling him on occasion (3rd downs, quick breathers etc.) In most cases, these 2 would, for me, ideally be getting the bulk (if not all) of the carries.

    In any goal line situation, or in moments where ISU needs to run down clock, I'd throw Woody back there.

    I would like to see Wimberly and Nealy used primarily just in the passing game, either as slot WR's, when we use 5 wideouts, or coming out of the backfield. They will get their carries next year, and in subsequent years (Nealy). Would love to see us develop some trick plays that could utilize Wimberly's speed also, either jet-sweeps or wheelbarrow type routes.



  2. #2
    Speechless
    Points: 394,167, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    57,766
    Points
    394,167
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 404
    Given: 293

    Re: Running Backs

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyinthenorth View Post
    If CPR was to announce that ISU was going to use just 2 RB's for the remainder of the season, who would you like to see and why?

    I'll just start by saying that I'd love to see White featured as the primary back with Shontrelle spelling him on occasion (3rd downs, quick breathers etc.) In most cases, these 2 would, for me, ideally be getting the bulk (if not all) of the carries.

    In any goal line situation, or in moments where ISU needs to run down clock, I'd throw Woody back there.

    I would like to see Wimberly and Nealy used primarily just in the passing game, either as slot WR's, when we use 5 wideouts, or coming out of the backfield. They will get their carries next year, and in subsequent years (Nealy). Would love to see us develop some trick plays that could utilize Wimberly's speed also, either jet-sweeps or wheelbarrow type routes.
    Sounds good to me. The oline does not appear to have much upside this year no matter who is in front.


    CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

  3. #3
    All-Star
    Points: 37,677, Level: 59
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 173
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    Cyclonin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    1,931
    Points
    37,677
    Level
    59
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 198
    Given: 793

    Re: Running Backs

    Don't care where you put him, but Wimberly definitely needs touches.



  4. #4
    All-Star
    Points: 32,138, Level: 55
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 912
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,342
    Points
    32,138
    Level
    55
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 51

    Re: Running Backs

    Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    Sounds good to me. The oline does not appear to have much upside this year no matter who is in front.
    Sad but true. I have a hard time blaming the RBs when we have seen at least solid production from 3 of the 5 guys in years past. I doubt that White, Johnson and Woody forgot how to run.



  5. #5
    All-Star
    Points: 43,763, Level: 64
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 487
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,816
    Points
    43,763
    Level
    64
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 15

    Re: Running Backs

    White and Wimberly.

    Shontrelle shouldn't be getting carries. I think he has lost his mental edge from ACL tear. He makes a cut behind the line. I wouldn't mind seeing Shontrelle on punts because of his shiftiness.

    White and Wimberly should be splitting 20+ carries. Woody can get tough yards and be used in 2 back sets as an extra blocker.

    Nealy can get 5-7 carries.

    Sam gets 5 or less carries.



  6. #6
    Speechless
    Points: 314,810, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    bawbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Posts
    18,185
    Points
    314,810
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 408
    Given: 1,018

    Re: Running Backs

    Quote Originally Posted by megamanxzero35 View Post
    White and Wimberly.

    Shontrelle shouldn't be getting carries. I think he has lost his mental edge from ACL tear. He makes a cut behind the line. I wouldn't mind seeing Shontrelle on punts because of his shiftiness.

    White and Wimberly should be splitting 20+ carries. Woody can get tough yards and be used in 2 back sets as an extra blocker.

    Nealy can get 5-7 carries.

    Sam gets 5 or less carries.
    I've posted this is several other threads, but you can't divvy up 30 carries when we only had 15 carries in the game.

    The problem isn't who is carrying the ball, it's that our offense hasn't executed well enough to get anyone enough carries.



  7. #7
    All-Star
    Points: 13,394, Level: 35
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 656
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Cyinthenorth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    North Iowa
    Posts
    1,282
    Points
    13,394
    Level
    35
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 50

    Re: Running Backs

    Quote Originally Posted by bawbie View Post
    I've posted this is several other threads, but you can't divvy up 30 carries when we only had 15 carries in the game.

    The problem isn't who is carrying the ball, it's that our offense hasn't executed well enough to get anyone enough carries.
    I would agree that the problem isn't who's carrying the ball, and that's not why I started this thread. I do believe that having so many guys who are capable of running the ball is creating more of a problem as opposed to being as someone stated in another thread, a "5 headed monster". Need to pick 2 guys, and give them a chance to get into a rhythm.

    Blockers do have to open holes up before anyone can get into that said rhythm however.



  8. #8
    Addict
    Points: 192,605, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Bret44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Hampton, IA
    Posts
    8,265
    Points
    192,605
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,064
    Given: 625

    Re: Running Backs

    Wimberly needs the ball. He NEEDS IT!


    “They're very, very hard to guard,” Notre Dame head coach Mike Brey said. “They're really good. And with Niang in the middle kind of wheeling and all those guys spreading you out, they're kind of a nightmare matchup. And they're men. They're really men.”


  9. #9
    All-Star
    Points: 43,763, Level: 64
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 487
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,816
    Points
    43,763
    Level
    64
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 15

    Re: Running Backs

    Quote Originally Posted by bawbie View Post
    I've posted this is several other threads, but you can't divvy up 30 carries when we only had 15 carries in the game.

    The problem isn't who is carrying the ball, it's that our offense hasn't executed well enough to get anyone enough carries.
    I won't use the Iowa game as an example because we had few running plays and a ton of 3 and outs. But against UNI we had 23 carries by our RBs. If Shontrelle doesn't get carries and Woody doesn't get carries, you could split those among White and Wimberly.

    If we went away from the zone read for the majority of our rushing plays, the carries are there. Sam had 21 carries. Another 15 to split and just run Sam 6 times.

    But I don't think we can run the ball right now. We need to pass until Sam and OL are healthy.



  10. #10
    Rookie
    Points: 8,934, Level: 28
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 416
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points
    bozclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    502
    Points
    8,934
    Level
    28
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    Given: 33

    Re: Running Backs

    Wimberly and Nealy. We need big plays and I think Wimberly and Nealy are significantly quicker with the ball than White and Shontrelle.



  11. #11
    Addict
    Points: 192,605, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Bret44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Hampton, IA
    Posts
    8,265
    Points
    192,605
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,064
    Given: 625

    Re: Running Backs

    Wimberly needs the ball in space. Which happens when we get a healthy line. Or a down field passing attack, that may help too. I would suggest them both. I just Snap Chatted Mess a quick message on the matter.


    “They're very, very hard to guard,” Notre Dame head coach Mike Brey said. “They're really good. And with Niang in the middle kind of wheeling and all those guys spreading you out, they're kind of a nightmare matchup. And they're men. They're really men.”


  12. #12
    All-Star
    Points: 21,965, Level: 45
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 585
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    cyclone87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    1,488
    Points
    21,965
    Level
    45
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 20

    Re: Running Backs

    White and Wimberly have looked the best so far, Woody for short yardage. I also think Nealy has a lot of potential (he was a beast in the spring game) and should get some carries, seems like he has been in the dog house though



  13. #13
    All-Star
    Points: 31,397, Level: 54
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 553
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    CykoAGR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Waukee, IA
    Posts
    1,673
    Points
    31,397
    Level
    54
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 12

    Re: Running Backs

    Adrian Peterson


    “It’s beyond pride. It’s a restored trust. There’s a confidence again, a passion that teeters on swagger. More than anything, (Iowa State head coach Paul Rhoads) has restored the Iowa State “it” factor, the steadfast belief that it is great to be a Cyclone...the man’s enthusiasm is genuine to the core...”
    – columnist Sean Keeler, Des Moines Register

  14. #14
    Pro
    Points: 24,462, Level: 47
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 88
    Overall activity: 48.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    jbindm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    2,473
    Points
    24,462
    Level
    47
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 237
    Given: 149

    Re: Running Backs

    White isn't flashy, but he's always gotten the job done. I'd like to see him get the lion's share for now, with Wimberly getting 10-15 touches a game and Woody getting the short yardage and goal line situations. Nealy's time is next year. Shontrelle is a good soldier and a victim of some bad luck, but his running style is just too east/west for him to be effective. With the little slivers of daylight the o line is struggling to provide their best chance is with White, Woody, and Wimberly.



  15. #15
    Pro
    Points: 24,462, Level: 47
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 88
    Overall activity: 48.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    jbindm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    2,473
    Points
    24,462
    Level
    47
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 237
    Given: 149

    Re: Running Backs

    Quote Originally Posted by Bret44 View Post
    Wimberly needs the ball in space. Which happens when we get a healthy line. Or a down field passing attack, that may help too. I would suggest them both. I just Snap Chatted Mess a quick message on the matter.
    You must be new here. All complaints are to be emailed to Jamie Pollard.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM