Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 99
    Given: 107

What to expect against Tulsa

Tulsa has a decent QB and some good RBs. If they watched the Iowa game (which I'm sure they have), then they will try to pound the ball and get us to stack the box in order to open up the passing game. They will throw more than Iowa. We MUST stop the run early on and get some pressure on Green.

What I would like to see offensively is to come out throwing. Establish a passing attack and then brek out the run. James White needs 15 carries at minimum. We can beat this team, but it all comes down to play calling. We are the better team. We can't go into conference play with an 0-3 record. We should throw a couple of screen passes, some slant routes and take a couple shots deep, to Bundrage if possible, to show Tulsa that we are not going to be the predictable offense that we usually are. Air it out!! I think first offensive play we run that bootleg with Richardson rolling right and has the option to throw or run. That's one of my favorite plays I have seen this year. I don't want to see much of the zone read, which we didn't see vs Iowa due to Richardson's ankle. I don't like the play!! Scrap it and use the bootleg a lot more!!

Predictions... Tulsa tries to run up the gut hoping Iowa's game plan will work for them as well. Irving and co. shuts it down so Tulsa goes to the air. We get 3-4 sacks on the day and shut down their offense. Our offense finally gets the running game going and Richardson has a big game, while not having as many 3rd and long situations. ISU wins 34-17

Thoughts?

This is Ophion speaking.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 233
    Given: 60

Re: What to expect against Tulsa

When firing on all cylinders, I believe we can be a decent team. I wouldn't go as far as to say we are the better team. If we win it will be ugly and I will still feel the likelihood of us winning a conference game is not great. Now, if by some rarity we have some kind of offensive explosion where we put up 200 yards rushing and 300 yards passing I might feel different.

I have a "believe it when I see it" attitude at this point even with a bye week to prepare.

"The difference between keeping what you have all to yourself and coveting what someone else has lies within your willingness to give versus your desire to take"

- temperflare

Addict
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 1,003
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 99
    Given: 107

We ARE better than Tulsa, we just have to prove it. This is a huge game as far as confidence goes. If we go into conference play 0-3 then these kids are going to be in a bad place mentally. A win would be great for their confidence. I think the leaders and captains step it up and motivate their teammates in the time between now and next Thursday. Washington is a great leader and very charismatic. I think he will be a key guy in getting the troops fired up. I'm basing this off of I guess just predictable ISU football, but... I think we go in and look great and show flashes of what this team CAN be, and everyone starts to believe that we can be decent and then we go out and get dominated to Texas the following week. Just my opinion tough.

This is Ophion speaking.

Addict
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,672
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 118
    Given: 24

I think our offense finally clicks.

Richardson has a big day throwing the ball, goes 12 of 42 for 87 yards.

All 5 running backs get into a groove, each getting 3 carries. Messingham elects to wear down the tulsa defense-- pounds Sam Richardson up the middle for 3 quarters before leaving due to injury. Finishes the day with 32 carries for 64 yards.

This game will be over by half time. Final score: cyclones 9 tulsa 7

Addict
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 666
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,134
    Given: 56

Offensively we'll see run, run, 2 yard gain on screen pass, punt. Rinse and repeat. Wasn't Mess the former special teams coach? I think he's secretly trying to showcase Kirby to get him as many punts as possible for awards and a possible draft pick.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 357
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 146
    Given: 73

The run defense needs to improve about as much as it did from UNI to Iowa.

The offense needs to figure out that when you loose all your starters on the OL, you need to not run the ball. Make the guys that play pass defense work a little before the 4th qtr. If your starting QB is hurt and can't run, use the 10 days to get your back up ready to go.

Need to make Cody Green move and throw the ball. With the slightest pressure, he is horrible.

Starter
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 142
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 5

Am I wrong, or will Farniok be back for this game? Or is it gong to be Texas?

Either way, ISU should be a better team. I really want us to begin to see a feature back in this offense. Give James White 15 carries, see what happens. Especially if Sam isn't at 100%.

Cyclone in the heart of enemy territory

Addict
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,963
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 152
    Given: 59

I am just going to sit on the fence and watch it unfold. I don't know what to think anymore. I definitely knew it would still be a challenge to get to a bowl game this year, but our Offensive struggles are beyond anything I would have predicted. I understand it's a down year, but we do not move the ball at all. As I believe I said last year, It would just be nice to see us get a couple of first downs then punt. Our Defense isn't great, but it would be nice to see what they could do late in a game with a little rest along the way. With as many 3 and outs as we have, we'll probably have to score in the 40s to have a shot against tulsa.

Pro
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 876
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 6

I expect Tulsa to look like an elite team againsts us. Tulsa 27-ISU 17

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 1,145
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 22

Expect a lot of Green and Watts. The push from Tulsa's o-line wont be the same thing we saw against Iowa so the key will be not having missed tackles like against UNI.

Their LBs are good, throw the ball over them not in front or to the side of them. Get Wimberly the damn ball.

Kirby will also play a big role in keeping Watts from being able to return punts.

Pro
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 253
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 49
    Given: 128

Tulsa will line up and run it right at our defense, our offense will still be inept and inconsistent, defense will make adjustments, offense won't, and we lose 27-24.

Go Cyclones!!

Starter
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 100
    Given: 327

Agree with everything OP said, except I don't think the D-line will "shut down" Tulsa's run ... hopefully they can do just enough to stop some drives on 3rd down.

I also hope to NOT see running back by committee. We should see a feature back (let the pass set up the run), with some power (not finesse only), so most likely White or Wimberly -- but stick with one man primarily, so he can get in a groove.

Something like ISU 30 Tulsa 14 IF those things are done. If not, it's gonna be an even longer season.

Pro
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 558
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 98
    Given: 155

Tulsa is a lot like UNI but with better pieces. Their MLB Jackson is 1st team all conference, yet he is having little more trouble this year as he doesn't have the horses in front of him in the front 4 like last year. He is a 250 lb man & he wreaked havoc last year in the Liberty Bowl. Their other LBs are good, but little undersized. Their DL is young (think true Fr Brubaker is their best DT @ 270 lbs) & 3 of their starting 4 DBs are underclassmen.

Watts & Douglas are pretty good backs - Watts owned us last year. Green is big & is good when he does not have to make reads or progressions and throw less than the team runs. Center if Fr, rest of OL are upperclassmen. 3 WRs go 6'2", 6'3", & 6'4".

What to expect? That is the magical question. I'd expect us to try and take advantage of their weak secondary. It is their primary weakness on D. Blake Bell threw pretty well against them last Saturday. Blake freaking Bell. Granted, he looked improved in his throwing abilities, but I think it was because of Tulsa's poor play by it's DBs. OU threw first, then ran more as Tulsa's D got gassed. OU's offensive line is much better than ours, though, so don't know if we could follow the same pattern.

If we are to run, someone has to get a hat on Jackson. He moves around quite a bit, so if he is on a slot our QB must see that & try to take advantage. They will bring pressure & they will jump bubble screens & quick hitches. Their D will see it a lot in practice because their offense runs a lot of those same plays as well. Considering how many we have run, I'd fake that look and run something different off of it the whole game. Not run 1 bubble screen. I don't care if it is fake bubble, go long, or fake bubble, draw play. The seams & post/corner routes were most effective by OU. And I'd play action the hell out of them. Their DBs bite hard on the run.

On defense it is simple. We must stop the run & limit their downfield jump-balls Green throws to his tall receivers.

Section110 on 9/12/14: Iowa 35 ISU 17
    The subpar defense from the Cyclones gives the Hawks a chance to finally start to get their confidence rolling on offense. Both running the football and through the air.
    *Breakout player prediction.... Everyone is going to have their eyes on Allen Lazard because of his hype coming out of H.S., but Derrick Willies steals the show.

All-Star
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 773
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 198
    Given: 9

I expect a thorough *** woopin. This is what I expect for the remainder of the season until proven wrong.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 551
    Given: 349

Unless we change our play calling, it will be a long afternoon. Tulsa second half OU looked better than anything we have done so far. I expect them to score 28 points. That should be what our offense needs at a minimum. This is a game we lose unless our offense becomes relevant. Tulsa is better than KU. Looks like they have good player development.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.