Notebook: Rhoads teleconference transcript, injury updates
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 35
  1. #1
    Publisher
    Points: 809,988, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    ChrisMWilliams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    16,739
    Points
    809,988
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,264
    Given: 326

  2. #2
    Addict
    Points: 74,375, Level: 84
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 475
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    erikbj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    hiawatha, ia
    Posts
    5,685
    Points
    74,375
    Level
    84
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 353
    Given: 90

    Re: Notebook: Rhoads teleconference transcript, injury updates

    Did he say he wants more bubble screens?



  3. #3
    Walk On
    Points: 2,314, Level: 13
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 136
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Western Nebraska
    Posts
    197
    Points
    2,314
    Level
    13
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 135

    Re: Notebook: Rhoads teleconference transcript, injury updates

    Quote Originally Posted by erikbj View Post
    Did he say he wants more bubble screens?
    Dear lord I hope not. Unless they're to Wimberly and we have Brun out there blocking, I hope we never ever run a bubble screen again.




    "There's always some guy that knows what the hell's going on. I get a kick out of how much of an authority these guys are, who have never been to my practices. That amazes me, how they can tell me what's wrong with my team. And I must really be dumb, because I'm there every day and goddamn I have a hard time figuring it out sometimes."-Johnny Orr

  4. #4
    Addict
    Points: 60,252, Level: 76
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 1,398
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    CyCloned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Robins, Iowa
    Posts
    5,091
    Points
    60,252
    Level
    76
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 307
    Given: 139

    Re: Notebook: Rhoads teleconference transcript, injury updates

    Not a lot of minced words about play calling there.

    For as bad as ISU was running the ball, they probably should have just been passing on every play and tried to protect with a blocker in the backfield. When they look at the film they are going to see a lot of guys running free in the Iowa secondary on passing plays.



  5. #5
    All-Star
    Points: 28,158, Level: 51
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 492
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    JBone84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Cedar Rapids
    Posts
    1,471
    Points
    28,158
    Level
    51
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 601

    Re: Notebook: Rhoads teleconference transcript, injury updates

    Rhoads seems to love him some bubble screens. Ick...I will have to go back and rewatch the game to see I can find those 8-10 yard bubble screens he is clamoring for.



  6. #6
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 56,968, Level: 73
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 82
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    4,516
    Points
    56,968
    Level
    73
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 745
    Given: 343

    Re: Notebook: Rhoads teleconference transcript, injury updates

    If they run a bubble screen I hope they at least package it with a run play to take out an extra defender.



  7. #7
    Addict
    Points: 60,252, Level: 76
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 1,398
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    CyCloned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Robins, Iowa
    Posts
    5,091
    Points
    60,252
    Level
    76
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 307
    Given: 139

    Re: Notebook: Rhoads teleconference transcript, injury updates

    Quote Originally Posted by erikbj View Post
    Did he say he wants more bubble screens?

    What does Bubble Screen Mean?

    An offensive play in which an eligible receiver lines up on the wide side of the field and cuts quickly towards the quarterback immediately after the snap to receive a pass. The offense will attempt to get a series of blockers out in front of the receiver so that the player can gain yards after the catch. The bubble screen is considered a quick hit play, and is used to get the ball in the hands of a quick player as fast as possible.

    I think what you are thinking about is a WR screen, where they throw the pass to the outside and try to block it with a WR. The bubble is when the WR comes to the QB and then tries to break against the grain of the defense. Did not see ISU running this very often.



  8. #8
    Walk On
    Points: 2,314, Level: 13
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 136
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Western Nebraska
    Posts
    197
    Points
    2,314
    Level
    13
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 135

    Re: Notebook: Rhoads teleconference transcript, injury updates

    I really don't agree that we couldn't throw the ball deep. It seemed like we didn't even try. I mean, I don't know. I suppose he knows better than I. The way that I saw it, was that we would have guys run deep routes, but that we would have our short routes be the first passing options, and Richardson didn't move off of those. We need to be using the button hooks and short crossing routes as our checkdowns.

    But we absolutely cannot give up on it, as it seems like he thinks we should. If we need to have Woody back there on passing downs to pick up the blitz, that's fine, but we've got to have a deep-threat component. A finesse run style (the zone read) doesn't work well if they are playing everyone--CB's, LB's, and Safeties--close to the line. And it's a lot harder to run a bubble screen or 5 yard cross (as we seem to like) when the coverage is pressed up with no real threat of a deep throw over the top.




    "There's always some guy that knows what the hell's going on. I get a kick out of how much of an authority these guys are, who have never been to my practices. That amazes me, how they can tell me what's wrong with my team. And I must really be dumb, because I'm there every day and goddamn I have a hard time figuring it out sometimes."-Johnny Orr

  9. #9
    Prospect
    Points: 3,105, Level: 16
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 345
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Papillion
    Posts
    51
    Points
    3,105
    Level
    16
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

    Re: Notebook: Rhoads teleconference transcript, injury updates

    He mentioned in the post game presser that they should have ran more bubble screens. Everyone on here is saying to throw the ball more down the field but everything he is saying is just the opposite of that. Prepare to be disappointed.



  10. #10
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 73,268, Level: 84
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 1,582
    Overall activity: 57.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    BoxsterCy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Golden Valley, MN
    Posts
    4,522
    Points
    73,268
    Level
    84
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 863
    Given: 723

    Re: Notebook: Rhoads teleconference transcript, injury updates

    Quote Originally Posted by JBone84 View Post
    Rhoads seems to love him some bubble screens. Ick...I will have to go back and rewatch the game to see I can find those 8-10 yard bubble screens he is clamoring for.
    Let me know what you see on the 4th and 4 one. I am working to forget this game, all of it, but I still have a hint of memory that that was a cluster up.



  11. #11
    Walk On
    Points: 2,314, Level: 13
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 136
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Western Nebraska
    Posts
    197
    Points
    2,314
    Level
    13
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 135

    Re: Notebook: Rhoads teleconference transcript, injury updates

    Quote Originally Posted by CyCloned View Post
    What does Bubble Screen Mean?


    An offensive play in which an eligible receiver lines up on the wide side of the field and cuts quickly towards the quarterback immediately after the snap to receive a pass. The offense will attempt to get a series of blockers out in front of the receiver so that the player can gain yards after the catch. The bubble screen is considered a quick hit play, and is used to get the ball in the hands of a quick player as fast as possible.

    I think what you are thinking about is a WR screen, where they throw the pass to the outside and try to block it with a WR. The bubble is when the WR comes to the QB and then tries to break against the grain of the defense. Did not see ISU running this very often.
    Thanks, I had those two mixed up. Maybe the bubble screen works, but I hope we never, ever, ever run a WR screen again.




    "There's always some guy that knows what the hell's going on. I get a kick out of how much of an authority these guys are, who have never been to my practices. That amazes me, how they can tell me what's wrong with my team. And I must really be dumb, because I'm there every day and goddamn I have a hard time figuring it out sometimes."-Johnny Orr

  12. #12
    All-Star
    Points: 28,158, Level: 51
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 492
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    JBone84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Cedar Rapids
    Posts
    1,471
    Points
    28,158
    Level
    51
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 601

    Re: Notebook: Rhoads teleconference transcript, injury updates

    Quote Originally Posted by BoxsterCy View Post
    Let me know what you see on the 4th and 4 one. I am working to forget this game, all of it, but I still have a hint of memory that that was a cluster up.
    Oh, I remember that one clear as day. I'm just not certain if my rage from that play call and execution is blocking my memory of some "good" bubble screens.



  13. #13
    All-Star
    Points: 28,158, Level: 51
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 492
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    JBone84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Cedar Rapids
    Posts
    1,471
    Points
    28,158
    Level
    51
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 601

    Re: Notebook: Rhoads teleconference transcript, injury updates

    Quote Originally Posted by cycloneinpdx View Post
    I really don't agree that we couldn't throw the ball deep. It seemed like we didn't even try. I mean, I don't know. I suppose he knows better than I. The way that I saw it, was that we would have guys run deep routes, but that we would have our short routes be the first passing options, and Richardson didn't move off of those. We need to be using the button hooks and short crossing routes as our checkdowns.

    But we absolutely cannot give up on it, as it seems like he thinks we should. If we need to have Woody back there on passing downs to pick up the blitz, that's fine, but we've got to have a deep-threat component. A finesse run style (the zone read) doesn't work well if they are playing everyone--CB's, LB's, and Safeties--close to the line. And it's a lot harder to run a bubble screen or 5 yard cross (as we seem to like) when the coverage is pressed up with no real threat of a deep throw over the top.
    Seems to me that the only success we had was throwing the ball deep. And by deep, I am going to define that as past 6 yards, because it seems to me like our throws are either to the flats, or they are past 6 yards. There was some definite success on some post patterns that stretched "deep" past 6 yards, and a nice button hook that Bundrage busted for the TD.



  14. #14
    Speechless
    Points: 348,329, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Tre4ISU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Estherville
    Posts
    19,605
    Points
    348,329
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 741
    Given: 92

    Re: Notebook: Rhoads teleconference transcript, injury updates

    Any sort of perimeter oriented pass is there or not. I didn't have a great view of alignment during the game but if he's saying it was there, I am guessing they were leaving guys "uncovered" which means there's no one over them, therefor we had the out numbered, yet we didn't throw it out there. To me, any uncovered slot should be an automatic quick hit right to him.


    It's all snark from here on out

  15. #15
    Speechless
    Points: 218,938, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 76.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    27,968
    Points
    218,938
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 679
    Given: 68

    Re: Notebook: Rhoads teleconference transcript, injury updates

    I thought the Rhoads comments concerning play calling very interesting. I do not think Rhoads is very happy.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Cyclones.tv
  • HOOPS: Iowa State vs. Mississippi Valley State
  • December 31, 2014
  • 06:00 PM