Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 91
  1. #1
    Starter
    Points: 20,426, Level: 43
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 324
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsSocial1 year registered

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Atkins
    Posts
    633
    Points
    20,426
    Level
    43
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 6

    Rhoads's Recruiting

    For those of you who think the recruiting is terrible, name one school in the Big 12 who you think we should be consistently beating in recruiting right now. I personally don't think there are any. The closest would be Kansas, but even they have been to a BCS bowl in the last decade. Everywhere else has either been very good recently, or is in a recruiting hotbed.


    Keepers of the Faith -- Member

    Keepers of the Faith is an alliance for those who are excited, enthusiastic, and optimistic about the direction of our men's basketball program. We reject the notion that one bad loss can derail the incredible progress of the past three years. To join, put this in your signature.

  2. #2
    All-Star
    Points: 49,744, Level: 68
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 6
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,666
    Points
    49,744
    Level
    68
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 56
    Given: 1

    Re: Rhoads's Recruiting

    Recruiting is easier for fans to accept when real problem might be talent development.



  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 95,948, Level: 96
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 1,102
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    acgclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    6,792
    Points
    95,948
    Level
    96
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 323
    Given: 58

    Re: Rhoads's Recruiting

    Quote Originally Posted by Chipper View Post
    Recruiting is easier for fans to accept when real problem might be talent development.
    You need a minimum level of athlete to develop. It's not like other coaching staffs aren't trying to build and develop their players too. The problem is that CPR has run out of other coach's recruits, and his recruiting has been pretty brutal up until the tail end of the last class.

    It turns out that there was a good reason when people started freaking out when we would offer guys that had no other offers and in some cases weren't even in the Rivals data base. If you recruit that level of athlete, you may find 1-2 diamonds in the rough, but on average, your talent level is so low that they can't be developed into BCS conference caliber players.



  4. #4
    All-Star
    Points: 18,988, Level: 42
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 862
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Skidoosh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,119
    Points
    18,988
    Level
    42
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 227
    Given: 54

    Re: Rhoads's Recruiting

    Correct me if I'm wrong, but our recruiting classes have gotten better every year under Rhoads. We arent going to wake up one day and suddenly have 5 starts lining up.

    Fire Rhoads and you can bet your *** our recruiting class will get much worse than you seem to think it is.



  5. #5
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 76,486, Level: 85
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 64
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    gogagig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,628
    Points
    76,486
    Level
    85
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 104
    Given: 21

    Re: Rhoads's Recruiting

    Quote Originally Posted by Chipper View Post
    Recruiting is easier for fans to accept when real problem might be talent development.
    Most of us have always believed that Rhoads has always gotten more out of less. And the talent level seems to be dropping off every year. We'll probably pull of 1-2 unthinkable wins again this year, and hear the speeches. That should keep the excitement alive. And as long as the excitement is alive, the negatives are forgotten.



  6. #6
    All-Star
    Points: 21,550, Level: 44
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 100
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Parts Unknown
    Posts
    1,681
    Points
    21,550
    Level
    44
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 16

    Re: Rhoads's Recruiting

    Quote Originally Posted by acgclone View Post
    You need a minimum level of athlete to develop. It's not like other coaching staffs aren't trying to build and develop their players too. The problem is that CPR has run out of other coach's recruits, and his recruiting has been pretty brutal up until the tail end of the last class.

    It turns out that there was a good reason when people started freaking out when we would offer guys that had no other offers and in some cases weren't even in the Rivals data base. If you recruit that level of athlete, you may find 1-2 diamonds in the rough, but on average, your talent level is so low that they can't be developed into BCS conference caliber players.
    This post is spot on! We need to look somewhere else for our talent base. You can't make all high 1-AA and Sun Belt caliber players competetive in the Big 12 no matter how good the training facility is.



  7. #7
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 76,486, Level: 85
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 64
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    gogagig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,628
    Points
    76,486
    Level
    85
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 104
    Given: 21

    Re: Rhoads's Recruiting

    If the talent level on offense is so pitiful, then at least, for heaven's sake, not let the play calling be so predictable.



  8. #8
    Addict
    Points: 95,948, Level: 96
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 1,102
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    acgclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    6,792
    Points
    95,948
    Level
    96
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 323
    Given: 58

    Re: Rhoads's Recruiting

    According to Rivals compared to the current teams in the B12:

    2013: 9th (lowest star/player average)
    2012: 10th
    2011: 9th (but lowest star/player average)
    2010: 9th (lowest star/player average)
    2009: 9th
    2008: 9th
    2007: 8th
    2006: 9th

    This is the culmination of some bad recruiting over the years. Not much has changed, except now we're competing with KU and K-State near the bottom of the league instead of Baylor back in the mid 2000's.


    Last edited by acgclone; 09-15-2013 at 09:19 AM.

  9. #9
    Addict
    Points: 74,869, Level: 85
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,681
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    dualthreat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Alumni road
    Posts
    6,673
    Points
    74,869
    Level
    85
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 118
    Given: 24

    Re: Rhoads's Recruiting

    Quote Originally Posted by acgclone View Post
    According to Rivals compared to the current teams in the B12:

    2013: 9th (lowest star/player average)
    2012: 10th
    2011: 9th (but lowest star/player average)
    2010: 9th (lowest star/player average)
    2009: 9th
    2008: 9th
    2007: 8th
    2006: 9th

    This is the culmination of some bad recruiting over the years. Not much has changed, except now we're competing with KU and K-State near the bottom of the league instead of Baylor back in the mid 2000's.
    There are so many things that play into the improvement of a football program, but recruiting has easily been our worst. It might be improving very slightly, but it is certainly not top half of the conference.



  10. #10
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 46,322, Level: 66
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 628
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    3,643
    Points
    46,322
    Level
    66
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 353
    Given: 179

    Re: Rhoads's Recruiting

    Recruiting under Rhoads has been nothing spectacular but that's okay. Bill Snyder has shown this level of talent can be made into a winner and Rhoads is attempting to do the same. He's got the defensive players and coaches to be a very good Big 12 team, just not the play calling on offense right. That's all it comes down too. And even though recruiting isn't great, do you really think that's why we lost to UNI and Iowa? When we lose to Texas, Oklahoma, and TCU then you can talk about recruiting all you want.



  11. #11
    All-Star
    Points: 21,550, Level: 44
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 100
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Parts Unknown
    Posts
    1,681
    Points
    21,550
    Level
    44
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 16

    Re: Rhoads's Recruiting

    Quote Originally Posted by Luth4Cy View Post
    Recruiting under Rhoads has been nothing spectacular but that's okay. Bill Snyder has shown this level of talent can be made into a winner and Rhoads is attempting to do the same. He's got the defensive players and coaches to be a very good Big 12 team, just not the play calling on offense right. That's all it comes down too. And even though recruiting isn't great, do you really think that's why we lost to UNI and Iowa? When we lose to Texas, Oklahoma, and TCU then you can talk about recruiting all you want.
    Bill Snyder has recruited as many as 15 JC players per class. Even Bill Snyder understands that a bulk of his talent has to come from 2 and 4 year transfers. If they don't make it at least they are gone in two years instead of hogging a scholly for 5.


    Last edited by deadeyededric; 09-15-2013 at 10:00 AM.

  12. #12
    Addict
    Points: 95,403, Level: 96
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,647
    Overall activity: 55.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    awd4cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Peru, IL
    Posts
    8,370
    Points
    95,403
    Level
    96
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 554
    Given: 410

    Re: Rhoads's Recruiting

    Quote Originally Posted by Skidoosh View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but our recruiting classes have gotten better every year under Rhoads. We arent going to wake up one day and suddenly have 5 starts lining up.

    Fire Rhoads and you can bet your *** our recruiting class will get much worse than you seem to think it is.
    Wrong. Our 2012 class we signed was by far the worst and it isn't even close.



  13. #13
    Starter
    Points: 10,289, Level: 30
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 261
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    cytown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    663
    Points
    10,289
    Level
    30
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    Given: 4

    Re: Rhoads's Recruiting

    Quote Originally Posted by deadeyededric View Post
    Bill Snyder has recruited as many as 15 JC players per class. Even Bill Snyder understands that a buk of his talent has to come from 2 and 4 year transfers.
    Bingo. His run in the 90's and early 2000s was aided by lax std's for juco recruits.



  14. #14
    Addict
    Points: 113,924, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Tornado man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    7,860
    Points
    113,924
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 75
    Given: 126

    Re: Rhoads's Recruiting

    Quote Originally Posted by acgclone View Post
    You need a minimum level of athlete to develop. It's not like other coaching staffs aren't trying to build and develop their players too. The problem is that CPR has run out of other coach's recruits, and his recruiting has been pretty brutal up until the tail end of the last class.
    So true! CPR's best teams were his first two, when at least half his starters were Mac's recruits...



  15. #15
    Pro
    Points: 33,357, Level: 56
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 893
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesVeteran25000 Experience Points
    ThatllDoCy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    3,447
    Points
    33,357
    Level
    56
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 216
    Given: 304

    Re: Rhoads's Recruiting

    IMO the overall plan is to improve facilities to improve recruiting. That along with Coaching stability will lead to better recruiting and results on the field. I don't think you can argue that our Defense and Facilities have improved under CPR. So has attendance. The Offense has floundered. Can't take accountability away from CPR and nor would he want you to.

    If we are to out recruit teams we have to start consistently beating them. We have gained some respect nationally by upsetting teams every year. If we slip back into doormat that will be very damaging.

    I don't think you can completely write off the progress that has been made, as there has been some. But it is very important to CPR's career he addresses the Offensive production.


    “Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun.”
    Alan Wilson Watts

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: FOX
  • Iowa State vs. Baylor
  • September 27, 2014
  • 07:20 PM