Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Recruit
    Points: 3,954, Level: 18
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 296
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    MSPClone210's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    122
    Points
    3,954
    Level
    18
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 36

    TV Antenna Use At Tailgate

    Thinking about bringing a little TV to the tailgate this saturday. I dont have a dish or any satellite to get a reception, but was wondering if anyone has had luck with any specific outdoor TV antennas?

    Any insight would help !



  2. #2
    Addict
    Points: 111,817, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    CarlHungus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    5,350
    Points
    111,817
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,758
    Given: 1,117

    Re: TV Antenna Use At Tailgate

    Everything but ABC seems to work fine. I don't know why ABC sucks so much, but you should have no problem getting the Bama-Mason Jar game on CBS



  3. #3
    Pro
    Points: 67,551, Level: 80
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 499
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Omaha Cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    The Omaha, Nebraska
    Posts
    3,379
    Points
    67,551
    Level
    80
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 120
    Given: 155

    Re: TV Antenna Use At Tailgate

    We ran an over the air for the UNI game. Didn't pull in a ton of channels but we had ABC for the OSU/Missippi state game.

    This is the one I have. Conns.com: RCA ANT1450B Antenna with Amplifier
    I paid maybe 30 for it at a target or walmart. Here in Omaha I can pull in about 21 channels with it, and use it for a 3rd TV on gamedays at home. I think it may have only found about 8 in Ames though in G7. Its even got a hook we used to hang it from our tailgate tent.


    http://www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com/index.html
    We don't reminisce, we just keep playing Tecmo Bowl & R.B.I. Baseball! In-depth strategy guides, player attributes, team rankings, along with detailed recaps of our season play. These Nintendo classics are as entertaining now as the day they were released!

  4. #4
    Pro
    Points: 67,551, Level: 80
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 499
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Omaha Cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    The Omaha, Nebraska
    Posts
    3,379
    Points
    67,551
    Level
    80
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 120
    Given: 155

    Re: TV Antenna Use At Tailgate

    The antenna comes with an amplifier, but we didn't use it at the UNI game. Perhaps it would have pulled in a few more. Last weekend didn't use the amplifier and still got the 21 or so channels.


    http://www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com/index.html
    We don't reminisce, we just keep playing Tecmo Bowl & R.B.I. Baseball! In-depth strategy guides, player attributes, team rankings, along with detailed recaps of our season play. These Nintendo classics are as entertaining now as the day they were released!

  5. #5
    Recruit
    Points: 3,954, Level: 18
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 296
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    MSPClone210's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    122
    Points
    3,954
    Level
    18
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 36

    Re: TV Antenna Use At Tailgate

    Awesome, yeah i just want to get the local channels for the bama game. I picked this one up at target tonight...hope it works!

    GE Flat Panel Amplified TV Antenna : Target



  6. #6
    Addict
    Points: 111,817, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    CarlHungus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    5,350
    Points
    111,817
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,758
    Given: 1,117

    Re: TV Antenna Use At Tailgate

    Quote Originally Posted by MSPClone210 View Post
    Awesome, yeah i just want to get the local channels for the bama game. I picked this one up at target tonight...hope it works!

    GE Flat Panel Amplified TV Antenna : Target
    You'll might have to mess with the position of the antenna some, but you should be able to get CBS with no problems, in my experience anyways



  7. #7
    Pro
    Points: 67,551, Level: 80
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 499
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Omaha Cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    The Omaha, Nebraska
    Posts
    3,379
    Points
    67,551
    Level
    80
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 120
    Given: 155

    Re: TV Antenna Use At Tailgate

    For some reason TVs these days have the smallest area possible to get you fingers into, to spin on the coax cable.
    Im bringing one of these push on connectors this time. http://www.yourbroadbandstore.com/im...rge/042036.jpg


    http://www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com/index.html
    We don't reminisce, we just keep playing Tecmo Bowl & R.B.I. Baseball! In-depth strategy guides, player attributes, team rankings, along with detailed recaps of our season play. These Nintendo classics are as entertaining now as the day they were released!

  8. #8
    Speechless
    Points: 375,702, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 94.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    00clone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Iowa City area
    Posts
    15,431
    Points
    375,702
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,207
    Given: 1,368

    Re: TV Antenna Use At Tailgate

    Quote Originally Posted by Omaha Cy View Post
    The antenna comes with an amplifier, but we didn't use it at the UNI game. Perhaps it would have pulled in a few more. Last weekend didn't use the amplifier and still got the 21 or so channels.
    OK, I'm sure there's more EE types here that can confirm or deny, but I don't believe the amplifier helps that much with the digital signal. You either have it, or you don't. Amplifier might be for if you're splitting the signal between multiple TV's?

    Again, IANAE, so yeah...





  9. #9
    Speechless
    Points: 188,101, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ajk4st8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    15,921
    Points
    188,101
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 527
    Given: 1,143

    Re: TV Antenna Use At Tailgate

    ive used several cheap antennas for OTA in Lot A2 before bringing my dish. We were able to pick up all channels, but it might take a little positioning work to get ABC.



  10. #10
    Addict
    Points: 111,817, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    CarlHungus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    5,350
    Points
    111,817
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,758
    Given: 1,117

    Re: TV Antenna Use At Tailgate

    Quote Originally Posted by ajk4st8 View Post
    ive used several cheap antennas for OTA in Lot A2 before bringing my dish. We were able to pick up all channels, but it might take a little positioning work to get ABC.
    Do you know why that is? I've always found that odd that ABC is so much harder to get reception for



  11. #11
    Speechless
    Points: 375,702, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 94.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    00clone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Iowa City area
    Posts
    15,431
    Points
    375,702
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,207
    Given: 1,368

    Re: TV Antenna Use At Tailgate

    Quote Originally Posted by CarlHungus View Post
    Do you know why that is? I've always found that odd that ABC is so much harder to get reception for
    Part of the deal when they sold it and moved it to Des Moines. <evil cackling..."and you'll get crappy reception tooooooo!">





  12. #12
    All-Star
    Points: 26,904, Level: 50
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 646
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    CascadeClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,468
    Points
    26,904
    Level
    50
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 413
    Given: 797

    Re: TV Antenna Use At Tailgate

    Quote Originally Posted by 00clone View Post
    OK, I'm sure there's more EE types here that can confirm or deny, but I don't believe the amplifier helps that much with the digital signal. You either have it, or you don't. Amplifier might be for if you're splitting the signal between multiple TV's?

    Again, IANAE, so yeah...

    I'm only an AeroE, not a EE, but here's what I know:

    Our OTA antenna at home isn't worth much without the amplifier. So I would say the amp must help even with digital.



  13. #13
    Addict
    Points: 71,018, Level: 82
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 432
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Rogue52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Posts
    6,297
    Points
    71,018
    Level
    82
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 260
    Given: 8

    Re: TV Antenna Use At Tailgate

    Quote Originally Posted by 00clone View Post
    OK, I'm sure there's more EE types here that can confirm or deny, but I don't believe the amplifier helps that much with the digital signal. You either have it, or you don't. Amplifier might be for if you're splitting the signal between multiple TV's?

    Again, IANAE, so yeah...
    There is a minimum receive level where your television will either display the picture completely or not at all. This is the "digital" you're talking of.

    The signal received is still on an analog carrier, it's just digitally modulated. The amplifier increases the received level. Also, the frequency of digital OTA television is much more susceptible to walls and other obstructions so the amplifier will help there as well.

    And yes, I have my EE degree from ISU.



  14. #14
    Speechless
    Points: 375,702, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 94.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    00clone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Iowa City area
    Posts
    15,431
    Points
    375,702
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,207
    Given: 1,368

    Re: TV Antenna Use At Tailgate

    Quote Originally Posted by CascadeClone View Post
    I'm only an AeroE, not a EE, but here's what I know:

    Our OTA antenna at home isn't worth much without the amplifier. So I would say the amp must help even with digital.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue52 View Post
    There is a minimum receive level where your television will either display the picture completely or not at all. This is the "digital" you're talking of.

    The signal received is still on an analog carrier, it's just digitally modulated. The amplifier increases the received level. Also, the frequency of digital OTA television is much more susceptible to walls and other obstructions so the amplifier will help there as well.

    And yes, I have my EE degree from ISU.
    Well then, there you go...I stand corrected. Thanks guys!





  15. #15
    Addict
    Points: 43,869, Level: 64
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 381
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    NickTheGreat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Johnston
    Posts
    5,110
    Points
    43,869
    Level
    64
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 517
    Given: 708

    Re: TV Antenna Use At Tailgate

    Quote Originally Posted by CarlHungus View Post
    Everything but ABC seems to work fine. I don't know why ABC sucks so much, but you should have no problem getting the Bama-Mason Jar game on CBS
    It's because ABC5 is broadcast with a coat hanger and a car battery in their back parking lot.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Cyclones.TV
  • FOOTBALL: Iowa State vs. UNI
  • September 5, 2015
  • 07:00 PM