Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 50
  1. #1
    Legend
    Points: 130,228, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    cyclones500's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    11,569
    Points
    130,228
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 880
    Given: 1,788

    Iowa State-Iowa: Your top five games

    For the moment, forget the UNI loss. Ignore that “It's ISU’s Super Bowl” junk.

    It’s rivalry week.

    What do you consider the top five games in the ISU-Iowa series? List your choices, ranked or unranked, count-up or count-down, explanations or not.

    A poll might have worked, but this allows more flexibility.

    I'll chime in later when I get mine together.



  2. #2
    Addict
    Points: 78,617, Level: 87
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,533
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    5,528
    Points
    78,617
    Level
    87
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 254
    Given: 441

    Re: Iowa State-Iowa: Your top five games

    1977 - at Iowa. We lost 12-10.

    First game to resume the series after it halted in 1934 (? i think). I don't have a lot of tolerance for folks who want to drop this series; the fan interest, anticipation and vibe for this game was intense. It was an ABC regional game - something unheard of at the time before cable.

    I hated Iowa because the contract made ISU play at Iowa for the first 3-years, then home-n-home.

    We lost our starting QB in the game before and had to start Freshman John Quinn. The Iowa defense surprised me by shutting down Dexter Green - our B8 leading rusher.

    Quinn only threw 12-passes all game.

    Tom Buck returned a punt for about 70-yards and we scored first; I thought it was gonna be a blow out. On the next series, Iowa RB Manley went around right end for 75-yards for a TD.

    I can't remember how Iowa got to 12 points? Did they miss 2-PATs - anybody know?

    We had a chance to win the game in the 4th Q, but Scott Coleman missed a 42-Yd FG, with a lot of time left; about 10 minutes, but neither team ever crossed the 50.

    I'm still traumatized by this loss!


    "We are first and foremost an educational institution that values integrity, honesty and treating others with fairness and respect".

    -ISU President Gregory Geoffroy; circa May 2003.

  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 137,970, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    theshadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    7,203
    Points
    137,970
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 304
    Given: 2

    Re: Iowa State-Iowa: Your top five games

    5. 1978 (31-0 in Iowa City)
    4. 1981 (23-12; first meeting in Ames since 1934)
    3. 2011 (the sheer excitement)
    2. 2002 (the improbable comeback)
    1. 1998 (the streak killer)

    HM: 1934 (31-6; then UI took their ball and went home for 43 years)



  4. #4
    Addict
    Points: 83,296, Level: 89
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 454
    Overall activity: 36.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,803
    Points
    83,296
    Level
    89
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,828
    Given: 7,074

    Re: Iowa State-Iowa: Your top five games

    Can't remember the year, maybe 2002. A Seneca year in Iowa City. Way down at half, went to the store for more beverages, came home, and saw a lot of shocked Hok fans watching the comeback. I think Seneca had one crazy good throw in that game running left and throwing back to middle of the field deep.



  5. #5
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 131,614, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    ruxCYtable's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    4,643
    Points
    131,614
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 801
    Given: 783

    Re: Iowa State-Iowa: Your top five games

    Quote Originally Posted by theshadow View Post
    5. 1978 (31-0 in Iowa City)
    4. 1981 (23-12; first meeting in Ames since 1934)
    3. 2011 (the sheer excitement)
    2. 2002 (the improbable comeback)
    1. 1998 (the streak killer)

    HM: 1934 (31-6; then UI took their ball and went home for 43 years)
    The '81 game was the first Cy-Hawk game I ever attended and I remember it well. I sat on the grass in the NW corner with my brother. "Crutch" almost broke one on his first carry. They brought in temporary wooden goal posts for the game and the fans tore them down before it was over, forcing Iowa to go for two on its last TD. I still remember the students carrying them out of the stadium and swinging them around in the air while we waited to meet up with our parents near the old victory bell. Fun times.



  6. #6
    Pro
    Points: 71,631, Level: 83
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 1,519
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    CycloneWarning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,644
    Points
    71,631
    Level
    83
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 150
    Given: 71

    Re: Iowa State-Iowa: Your top five games

    I will have to go by events, since I can forget the years, lol.

    (1) Triple OT victory in 2011 - Other than OSU, best ISU game I have ever attended. Beautiful day, great victory.
    (2) Seneca's Big Comeback (2002?) - Was at a game watch in Omaha. Cannot believe we came back.
    (3) Streak Buster (1998) - Did not see it coming at all. We had lost first game, Iowa had rolled. Punt block!
    (4) Game Moved to End of Year (2001) - 9/11 cancelled game, moved to end of year. Stressful win.
    (5) Tate Knockout (?) - Should have pounded them worse. Iowa only gets to red zone one time. 5 turnovers! Iowa was ranked in top ten, lol!


    Last edited by CycloneWarning; 09-10-2013 at 11:05 AM.

  7. #7
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 60,762, Level: 76
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 888
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    4,330
    Points
    60,762
    Level
    76
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 89
    Given: 1,138

    Re: Iowa State-Iowa: Your top five games

    My top game that's easy: 1978 in Iowa City (game no 2.)..........With the defense leading the way, led by Mike Stensrud...Tom Randall...& Chris Boskey, our Cyclones beat the chokeyes 31-0. And yes I was in iowa city for the first four games and it was one of the greatest days of my life....Great Day to be a Cyclone in Kinnick Stadium !!



  8. #8
    All-Star
    Points: 55,573, Level: 73
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,477
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    MartyFine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Warren Co., IA
    Posts
    1,906
    Points
    55,573
    Level
    73
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 385
    Given: 118

    Re: Iowa State-Iowa: Your top five games

    1998 #1. My formative years were the late 80s-early 90s. I did not remember what it was like to live in a world where ISU beat Iowa in football.

    #2 2001. Come on. Thanksgiving weekend.

    #3 2002
    #4 2005
    #5 2011



  9. #9
    All-Star
    Points: 37,440, Level: 59
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 410
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    kentkel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Grinnell
    Posts
    1,688
    Points
    37,440
    Level
    59
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 504
    Given: 932

    Re: Iowa State-Iowa: Your top five games

    Quote Originally Posted by Go2Guy View Post
    1977 - at Iowa. We lost 12-10.

    First game to resume the series after it halted in 1934 (? i think). I don't have a lot of tolerance for folks who want to drop this series; the fan interest, anticipation and vibe for this game was intense. It was an ABC regional game - something unheard of at the time before cable.

    I hated Iowa because the contract made ISU play at Iowa for the first 3-years, then home-n-home.

    We lost our starting QB in the game before and had to start Freshman John Quinn. The Iowa defense surprised me by shutting down Dexter Green - our B8 leading rusher.

    Quinn only threw 12-passes all game.

    Tom Buck returned a punt for about 70-yards and we scored first; I thought it was gonna be a blow out. On the next series, Iowa RB Manley went around right end for 75-yards for a TD.

    I can't remember how Iowa got to 12 points? Did they miss 2-PATs - anybody know?

    We had a chance to win the game in the 4th Q, but Scott Coleman missed a 42-Yd FG, with a lot of time left; about 10 minutes, but neither team ever crossed the 50.

    I'm still traumatized by this loss!
    I was 9 at the time and followed (rooted for) both in-state teams, but favored the Cyclones over the Hawks. After this loss I remember a BUNCH of U of I fans viciously rubbing in the loss (especially from my relatives - none of whom went to college, let alone the U of I). That was the beginning of my dislike for all things Hok.
    My favorite game still has to be 2002! The cockiness of the Hawks at halftime was quickly deflated in the 3rd qtr. The Hok-nation meltdown was a thing of beauty!!!! (Plus Grinnell-native, Jack Whitver, hauled in a key 3rd down pass from Seneca! One of the best moments during the game.)


    "Some of you [Hawk fans] might point out that Iowa won 15 straight against ISU. Guess what? That was 18 years ago. That means during the lifetime of every player on both rosters… Iowa State has a winning record over Iowa." - Ross Peterson (Hawkeye Nation Contributor)

  10. #10
    Speechless
    Points: 188,101, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ajk4st8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    15,921
    Points
    188,101
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 527
    Given: 1,143

    Re: Iowa State-Iowa: Your top five games

    Most heartbreaking was being 10 years old in 1993 and having ISU score 2 late touchdowns to pull within 3, recover the onside kick just to have Bob Utter fumble.

    Best game I was at was at Kinnick in 1998. There was no way to describe how good it felt being a junior in high school and watching ISU beat Iowa for the first time in my life.



  11. #11
    Addict
    Points: 78,617, Level: 87
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,533
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    5,528
    Points
    78,617
    Level
    87
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 254
    Given: 441

    Re: Iowa State-Iowa: Your top five games

    You all realize Donnie Duncan won Three in a row vs Hayden?



  12. #12
    Rookie
    Points: 13,924, Level: 35
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 126
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    411
    Points
    13,924
    Level
    35
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 87

    Re: Iowa State-Iowa: Your top five games

    1: 1998 - Broke the losing streak. Nobody saw it coming.
    2: 2002 - Seneca Wallace comeback game. At Kinnick. Iowa's only loss that year.
    3: 2005 - 8th ranked Iowa managed to score 3 points that day.
    4: 2011 - Triple overtime thriller.
    5: 2001 - Game was postponed because of 9/11. Late season match-up felt even bigger.



  13. #13
    Pro
    Points: 48,523, Level: 68
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 1,227
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    PabloDiablo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    2,816
    Points
    48,523
    Level
    68
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 202
    Given: 205

    Re: Iowa State-Iowa: Your top five games

    Quote Originally Posted by CycloneWarning View Post
    I will have to go by events, since I can forget the years, lol.

    (1) Triple OT victory in 2011 - Other than OSU, best ISU game I have ever attended. Beautiful day, great victory.
    (2) Seneca's Big Comeback (2002?) - Was at a game watch in Omaha. Cannot believe we came back.
    (3) Streak Buster (1998) - Did not see it coming at all. We had lost first game, Iowa had rolled. Punt block!
    (4) Game Moved to End of Year (2001) - 9/11 cancelled game, moved to end of year. Stressful win.
    (5) Tate Knockout (?) - Should have pounded them worse. Iowa only gets to red zone one time. 5 turnovers! Iowa was ranked in top ten, lol!
    '05



  14. #14
    Starter
    Points: 16,545, Level: 39
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 705
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    848
    Points
    16,545
    Level
    39
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 103
    Given: 206

    Re: Iowa State-Iowa: Your top five games

    Quote Originally Posted by ajk4st8 View Post
    Most heartbreaking was being 10 years old in 1993 and having ISU score 2 late touchdowns to pull within 3, recover the onside kick just to have Bob Utter fumble.

    Best game I was at was at Kinnick in 1998. There was no way to describe how good it felt being a junior in high school and watching ISU beat Iowa for the first time in my life.

    That one still hurts. I remember it like it was yesterday.



  15. #15
    Addict
    Points: 83,296, Level: 89
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 454
    Overall activity: 36.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,803
    Points
    83,296
    Level
    89
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,828
    Given: 7,074

    Re: Iowa State-Iowa: Your top five games

    Quote Originally Posted by CLONEing around View Post
    1: 1998 - Broke the losing streak. Nobody saw it coming.
    2: 2002 - Seneca Wallace comeback game. At Kinnick. Iowa's only loss that year.
    3: 2005 - 8th ranked Iowa managed to score 3 points that day.
    4: 2011 - Triple overtime thriller.
    5: 2001 - Game was postponed because of 9/11. Late season match-up felt even bigger.
    Yea, that 2001 game debunked the Hok myth that they get so much better as the year goes on and would beat us if only the game was played later in the season.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Cyclones.TV
  • FOOTBALL: Iowa State vs. UNI
  • September 5, 2015
  • 07:00 PM