Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 22

Re: Blum: Steele Reversal

Quote Originally Posted by dualthreat View Post
    People were bitter at seneca when he left. He really flopped in the second half of his senior season. More picks than TDs and it wasn't close.
    I think at the end of the day, injuries, fatigue, also played a factor. We played killer schedule (13 games) and our opponents were good team: FSU, EIU, Tech, Nebby, etc. THe only bad teams we played probably just Tennesse Tech and Kansas.
    No running game too because the OC's philosophy was give the ball to the best player (Seneca) instead of trying to build a balanced attack.

Pro
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 46

I was in the Barnett camp, but I appreciate Steele for what he did. If I ran into him in California or wherever the hell he is now, I'd buy him a beer.

Flashes of greatness, and some great moments as a Cyclone.

Pro
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 982
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 22

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneWarning View Post
    I think a lot of fans recognized that the driver was atrocious OL play. Seneca actually covered up this deficiency with his mobility, but it caught up to us eventually and he was forcing too much. That loss against UCONN was horrible, followed by a poor bowl game in which Boise cheap-shotted Seneca early and he was never the same.
    This is no. 1 reason why I never forgive Dan Hawkins and Boise State. I can never root for them

All-Star
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 857
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Steele was a player that made you hold your breath.

He would make one of the greatest plays ever and then turn around and crush your heart with the next. Some games were full of more of the good while others were full of more of the bad.

We will never know what Steele could have been like if he were recruited to ISU or any other school for that matter and given the time to develop his skills (aka redshirt, consistent coaching etc).

Steele led the second most thrilling ISU/Iowa game that I have ever seen. I was in a bar in Iowa City for the Seneca comback game and that one gets the slightest of nods from me just because of the disbelief on the faces all of the Iowa fans that day. I guess Steele led the best one that I saw in person.

“It’s beyond pride. It’s a restored trust. There’s a confidence again, a passion that teeters on swagger. More than anything, (Iowa State head coach Paul Rhoads) has restored the Iowa State “it” factor, the steadfast belief that it is great to be a Cyclone...the man’s enthusiasm is genuine to the core...”
    – columnist Sean Keeler, Des Moines Register

All-Star
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 641
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 30

Steele was dynamite in non conference games, but he just wasn't the same QB in Big 12 play. He had the Baylor game last year, but aside from that one I can't think of a game v.s. a Big 12 opponent where he was average at the very best. Never could decide if it was a confidence issue, or if it was just our O-Line being physically dominated requiring Jantz to make hasty decisions. Although I know for certain he had a decent amount of unforced turnovers as well.

Needless to say, I always felt more comfortable with him under center than Barnett. Even though JB did give us the OSU miracle.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 42

I'm not going to enter into another Jantz debate. But I did want to say I really enjoyed this piece. Completely entertaining yet on-the-money in so many aspects. A perfect summation of not only Steele's ISU career, but aslo why Blum is a really good read.

All-Star
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 254
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CyCloned View Post
    Jantz was that guy that was always trying to push the limits of what he could do. He forced things when he needed to and when he did not. For some reason he simply dropped the ball at times, that is one think we will never know the answer to. He is still a guy that I feel could have done great things if he had come to ISU as a true freshman, redshirted and got some good, consistent coaching. (As it was, he was all ISU had and they threw him out there. He could have had better guys to throw to also.) He definitely kept the game exciting, and he was magic for a few games, and ISU fans don't get to see a lot of magic.
    This is the opposite of why SR has only thrown 1 INT and is always our leading rusher. He doesn't take chances with the ball. He won't try to put the ball in a tight window, he would rather pull it down and run. That's a good thing and a bad thing. I like his TD to INT ratio but that's not always an indicator that a guy is playing great or that a team is winning. You have to take some chances every now and then if you want great things to happen on the field. Success is a product of failure and with SJ and JB, we saw a lot of success through some of their failures.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 294
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 80

Jantz beat Iowa twice but in those games he really only had 1 good half in those 2 games, we were down against Iowa at JTS at half. He had a great 2nd and OT to bring us back and win. Other than that, he was nothing great but....he went 2-0 against the Hawks, I'll take it. Definitely not a Cyclone legend but people won't forget his role in one of the most exciting Cy-Hawk games ever.

All-Star
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 254
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cyinthenorth View Post
    Steele was dynamite in non conference games, but he just wasn't the same QB in Big 12 play. He had the Baylor game last year, but aside from that one I can't think of a game v.s. a Big 12 opponent where he was average at the very best. Never could decide if it was a confidence issue, or if it was just our O-Line being physically dominated requiring Jantz to make hasty decisions. Although I know for certain he had a decent amount of unforced turnovers as well.

Needless to say, I always felt more comfortable with him under center than Barnett. Even though JB did give us the OSU miracle.
    Actually, he gave us four Big12 wins (3 against top 20 teams) in 8 conference starts and also 2 one-possession losses to KSU (they were ranked #2 and #15). So, in his 8 conference starts, 7 were against top 20 teams. I think he gave us more than just the "OSU miracle" IMHO.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 63.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 565
    Given: 529

Quote Originally Posted by FootballinTexas View Post
    Actually, he gave us four Big12 wins (3 against top 20 teams) in 8 conference starts and also 2 one-possession losses to KSU (they were ranked #2 and #15). So, in his 8 conference starts, 7 were against top 20 teams. I think he gave us more than just the "OSU miracle" IMHO.
    Jared had some pretty cool games.
    You're right on. You'll "hear about it," but Jared had a thing for beating ranked teams.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Addict
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 92
    Given: 27

In my mind Steele will have ended up having about the same legacy as Bret Culbertson. Both were guys that came up huge against Iowa, but will mostly be remembered for what they didn't achieve during their careers. It stinks to look back on what could have been, but they do have some of the best individual accomplishments against the Hawkeyes.

Addict
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,621
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 7

Quote Originally Posted by cyhiphopp View Post
    If they are bitter at Seneca they are stupid.

To me that was all on the coaches. OU figured out how to beat us and pretty much everyone else used the same formula the rest of the year. There didn't seem to be any adjustments in the offensive strategy and Seneca couldn't do it all on his own. Brickey was just bad.

I also blame the coaching staff for not having enough around him to be successful. When your top two targets are former walkons, that's a bad thing. Yes Whitver and Danielsen were very good receivers, but there's still a reason they were walk-ons. DMac was consistently horrible at recruiting and developing Big12 caliber depth at pretty much any position. Always a mystery as to who would end up replacing the starters from the previous year.
    Quote Originally Posted by CycloneWarning View Post
    I think a lot of fans recognized that the driver was atrocious OL play. Seneca actually covered up this deficiency with his mobility, but it caught up to us eventually and he was forcing too much. That loss against UCONN was horrible, followed by a poor bowl game in which Boise cheap-shotted Seneca early and he was never the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclone13 View Post
    I think at the end of the day, injuries, fatigue, also played a factor. We played killer schedule (13 games) and our opponents were good team: FSU, EIU, Tech, Nebby, etc. THe only bad teams we played probably just Tennesse Tech and Kansas.
    No running game too because the OC's philosophy was give the ball to the best player (Seneca) instead of trying to build a balanced attack.
    Don't get me wrong, the bitter feelings have gone by the way side. Time has passed and seneca is a legend and a hero.

But not everyone felt that way in 2002. The observant fans understood the underlying issues, sure. But most just read the stat sheet like they do with jantz and barnett and give them all the blame.

Prospect
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 230
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 15

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneErik View Post
    Jared had some pretty cool games.
    You're right on. You'll "hear about it," but Jared had a thing for beating ranked teams.
    Jared also had a thing for bounce passes, which I will remember for quite a while

Addict
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 18
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8

Great article! Thanks Brent!

Pro
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 1,055
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 117
    Given: 32

If Steele could have redshirted and maybe played in a different system, one that wasn't as zone read heavy, he could have been absolutely spectacular. I'll always be thankful that Steele came to Ames. When all was said and done he struggled in conference games, but he had the talent to do some things I've only seen Seneca do otherwise.