Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 180
    Given: 109

Rhoads quote in KXNO interview

Sorry if this has been posted, but I scrolled through the football forum and didn't see it. Rhoads was on Murph and Andy earlier this afternoon, and he was asked his thoughts on some Hawk fans who say this game is ISU's Super Bowl. His response:

"That's a bunch of crap."

He went on to elaborate on how it may have been that way in the past, but he expects his team to get up for every game and each game is as important as the one before it and the one after it.

Nothing new really, but I just love his candor. He also used the same line when asked his thoughts on some people saying "Kirk Ferentz is on the hot seat". Of course, what else is going to say...

Should be a podcast up on KXNO soon, but it was a good interview - he answered a lot of questions and there weren't a lot of non-answers. Pointed out the good things and the bad things from the UNI game and assured Murph and Andy his team is motivated and looking forward to Saturday. Good interview as always.

All-Star
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 52
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 95
    Given: 52

Re: Rhoads quote in KXNO interview

Quote Originally Posted by SerenityNow View Post
    Sorry if this has been posted, but I scrolled through the football forum and didn't see it. Rhoads was on Murph and Andy earlier this afternoon, and he was asked his thoughts on some Hawk fans who say this game is ISU's Super Bowl. His response:

"That's a bunch of crap."

He went on to elaborate on how it may have been that way in the past, but he expects his team to get up for every game and each game is as important as the one before it and the one after it.

Nothing new really, but I just love his candor. He also used the same line when asked his thoughts on some people saying "Kirk Ferentz is on the hot seat". Of course, what else is going to say...

Should be a podcast up on KXNO soon, but it was a good interview - he answered a lot of questions and there weren't a lot of non-answers. Pointed out the good things and the bad things from the UNI game and assured Murph and Andy his team is motivated and looking forward to Saturday. Good interview as always.
    Iowa fans need to be careful what they wish for.. Still think Ferentz is one of the better coaches in football. They tend to play lots of close games, and it has bit him in the butt recently, but these things run in cycles.

Addict
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 1,423
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 306
    Given: 139

Quote Originally Posted by fsanford View Post
    Iowa fans need to be careful what they wish for.. Still think Ferentz is one of the better coaches in football. They tend to play lots of close games, and it has bit him in the butt recently, but these things run in cycles.
    The Hawks made a living on close games in the 90's. Not against the bad teams, but the good one. They kicked ISU all over the field, but they snuck out a lot of games with late FGs, etc, so this is really just payback for them.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 348
    Given: 249

It's hard to see KF going on the hotseat until he has 2 or 3 consecutive losing seasons, coupled with a significant loss of interest in Iowa FB program across the state of Iowa. In order for the latter to happen, ISU would have to break out of it's funk and hit 8+ regular season wins for a couple of seasons and pull off a higher-profile bowl win while Iowa is having those consecutive losing seasons. I don't think ISU beating Iowa regularly (should ISU be able to do that) would be enough.

"Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 129
    Given: 0

Rhoads excels at "coach speak." I'd like to see more results on the field.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 88
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 745
    Given: 343

Quote Originally Posted by JUKEBOX View Post
    Rhoads excels at "coach speak." I'd like to see more results on the field.
    He excels at being generally open and honest to the extent that he needs to be. I can't complain about how he has handled the media.

All-Star
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 261
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 175

Quote Originally Posted by jbhtexas View Post
    It's hard to see KF going on the hotseat until he has 2 or 3 consecutive losing seasons, coupled with a significant loss of interest in Iowa FB program across the state of Iowa. In order for the latter to happen, ISU would have to break out of it's funk and hit 8+ regular season wins for a couple of seasons and pull off a higher-profile bowl win while Iowa is having those consecutive losing seasons. I don't think ISU beating Iowa regularly (should ISU be able to do that) would be enough.

This and a few more years of that long contract (CPRs is loooong too) expire so they can afford a buyout IF they need it.

“It’s beyond pride. It’s a restored trust. There’s a confidence again, a passion that teeters on swagger. More than anything, (Iowa State head coach Paul Rhoads) has restored the Iowa State “it” factor, the steadfast belief that it is great to be a Cyclone...the man’s enthusiasm is genuine to the core...”
    – columnist Sean Keeler, Des Moines Register

All-Star
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 261
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 175

Quote Originally Posted by Luth4Cy View Post
    He excels at being generally open and honest to the extent that he needs to be. I can't complain about how he has handled the media.
    I still cant believe how pissy people are 10 days after the UNI game.

Was it terrible? Yes, most embarrasing loss of the CPR era IMO. I would rather get 50 pointed by a good OU team than lose to UNI.

However, its never as bad as it seems. Wouldnt suprise me if ISU came out and beat Iowa by 10 pts.

I look forward to football season far too much to jut throw in the towel. Seems like others are just writing this team off to go 0-12

“It’s beyond pride. It’s a restored trust. There’s a confidence again, a passion that teeters on swagger. More than anything, (Iowa State head coach Paul Rhoads) has restored the Iowa State “it” factor, the steadfast belief that it is great to be a Cyclone...the man’s enthusiasm is genuine to the core...”
    – columnist Sean Keeler, Des Moines Register

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 1,032
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 63
    Given: 1

Like stated above....Kirk would have to have 2-3 more seasons of non bowls before he gets fired.
    I would like to see it though. Ticket prices would go down and their place would be half full on game 11.

Its only going to get harder for them though with 9 conference games looming.
    as far as the game this saturday.

Its home
    We will be ready.
    Iowa is not that good
    If we could tackle I would feel confident :) So who knows...

I will say this though, Every game we lose non conference we have to win a conference game to make up for it. With the B12 down this is the best year to do it, but I still don't see us winning 5-6 conference games if we can't beat UNI or Iowa at home...lol

IF we lose to IOwa and beat tulsa,
    The new road map to a bowl would be Texas, KSU, TCU, WVU, KU

If we start 0-3 then I just don't care.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 547
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 299
    Given: 392

It was a great interview, like usual. Too bad it got cut a little short, but I'll take what I can get.

He will sometimes use coachspeak, but way less than any other coach out there

All-Star
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 596
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 53
    Given: 12

Quote Originally Posted by HandSanitizer View Post
    Like stated above....Kirk would have to have 2-3 more seasons of non bowls before he gets fired.
    I would like to see it though. Ticket prices would go down and their place would be half full on game 11.

Its only going to get harder for them though with 9 conference games looming.
    as far as the game this saturday.

Its home
    We will be ready.
    Iowa is not that good
    If we could tackle I would feel confident :) So who knows...

I will say this though, Every game we lose non conference we have to win a conference game to make up for it. With the B12 down this is the best year to do it, but I still don't see us winning 5-6 conference games if we can't beat UNI or Iowa at home...lol

IF we lose to IOwa and beat tulsa,
    The new road map to a bowl would be Texas, KSU, TCU, WVU, KU

If we start 0-3 then I just don't care.
    If we start 0-3, I think we might be looking at 0-12. Then we could easily lose momentum along with our recruiting class and fan base. This weekend is a big game for both fan bases.

Addict
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 1,063
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 543
    Given: 34

Quote Originally Posted by Luth4Cy View Post
    I don't know what kind of results some of you seem to want. But 6 win seasons just don't happen that often at Iowa State. 6 win seasons in 3 of the first 4 years of a coaching career at Iowa State just don't happen.

With the exception of the UNI game, there have been MAYBE 2 games where I have been disappointed in Rhoads. Most coaches in my lifetime (Chiz, McCarney, Walden) there are 3-4 per year.

Rhoads is the victim of his own success. Had he come in here and won 3-4-5 games per year like every other coach, no one would care.

And I am shocked that so many people assume that one bad loss to UNI means that Rhoads is going to suck forever.

All-Star
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 176
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 54
    Given: 208

Quote Originally Posted by jsb View Post
    I don't know what kind of results some of you seem to want. But 6 win seasons just don't happen that often at Iowa State. 6 win seasons in 3 of the first 4 years of a coaching career at Iowa State just don't happen.

With the exception of the UNI game, there have been MAYBE 2 games where I have been disappointed in Rhoads. Most coaches in my lifetime (Chiz, McCarney, Walden) there are 3-4 per year.

Rhoads is the victim of his own success. Had he come in here and won 3-4-5 games per year like every other coach, no one would care.

And I am shocked that so many people assume that one bad loss to UNI means that Rhoads is going to suck forever.
    I don't question Rhoads except as a business manager. He needs to fire or reassign Mess and right the ship.

Addict
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 991
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 259
    Given: 42

Before the season, a lot of people thought we would lose to tulsa, starting the year 2-1.

I wasn't one of them, I predicted 3-0. But i could still definitely still see this team finding their way to 2-1.

Hell, if were 2-1 and Texas doesn't get their **** together, 3-1.

All-Star
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 463
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 62
    Given: 135

Quote Originally Posted by CykoAGR View Post
    I still cant believe how pissy people are 10 days after the UNI game.

Was it terrible? Yes, most embarrasing loss of the CPR era IMO. I would rather get 50 pointed by a good OU team than lose to UNI.

However, its never as bad as it seems. Wouldnt suprise me if ISU came out and beat Iowa by 10 pts.

I look forward to football season far too much to jut throw in the towel. Seems like others are just writing this team off to go 0-12
    You are right that it is awful but it is as bad as it seems. We lost to an FCS team at home who had a losing record last year. I mean I guess we could come up with some crazy scenario worse than that, but it isn't easy to do.

Now I'm not saying fire Rhoads or shut the program down but losses don't come (much) worse than what happened to ISU the weekend before last. I do agree that this team could beat Iowa by 10 or so and end up winning 4 or so games.