Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

What makes Iowa State WBB work?

For those of you that don't know, I'm a big soccer fan as well as an Iowa State & wbb fan. Soccer's the sport I grew up watching, supporting, playing, loving, etc. (not that basketball was too far behind). 2013 marked the beginning of a new women's soccer league in the United States -- the National Women's Soccer League, or NWSL.

The attendance was fair, especially for a brand new league. I just read an article (New Women's Soccer League Aims For Success Its Predecessors Never Achieved | ThinkProgress) talking about the NWSL trying to become a big success as the last few tries at professional women's soccer in the U.S. haven't fared well.

The article states, "female participation in sports has increased by 990% at the high school level & 560% in college since the passage of Title IX in 1972, but female sports viewership hasn’t kept pace." It also says most of the viewership gains actually went to men's sports as women often like to watch sports with men. “We learn to watch sports with grandfathers and fathers and brothers and husbands and boyfriends. Men very much gate-keep sports from women.” - Annemarie Farrell, professor at Ithaca College who studies women’s sports participation and viewership.

That got me to thinking about Iowa State wbb. What has made it so successful? Bill is constantly mentioning the low attendance when he first came to campus. I know it took a lot of work, and time of course, but what made it stick? What got Iowa State fans excited about women's basketball?

Rookie
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 638
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: What makes Iowa State WBB work?

I also found this pretty interesting:

"In psychological tests, fans showed no difference when watching men and women play basketball. “You’re not more excitable, you’re not more aroused” by watching men, Farrell said. “The perceptions we have in our experience watching men and women play are not biological, they’re social. But social is really powerful. We assume mens sports are more exciting, more dramatic.”

If you have time, take a few minutes to read the article (Warning: It's long). It pertains in large part to NWSL and women's soccer, but overall it's pretty interesting. Paragraphs 22-29 talk about women's sports and viewership in general.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocial1 year registeredOverdriveCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 62
    Given: 126

Quote Originally Posted by simville02 View Post
    For those of you that don't know, I'm a big soccer fan as well as an Iowa State & wbb fan. Soccer's the sport I grew up watching, supporting, playing, loving, etc. (not that basketball was too far behind). 2013 marked the beginning of a new women's soccer league in the United States -- the National Women's Soccer League, or NWSL.The attendance was fair, especially for a brand new league. I just read an article (New Women's Soccer League Aims For Success Its Predecessors Never Achieved | ThinkProgress) talking about the NWSL trying to become a big success as the last few tries at professional women's soccer in the U.S. haven't fared well. The article states, "female participation in sports has increased by 990% at the high school level & 560% in college since the passage of Title IX in 1972, but female sports viewership hasn’t kept pace." It also says most of the viewership gains actually went to men's sports as women often like to watch sports with men. “We learn to watch sports with grandfathers and fathers and brothers and husbands and boyfriends. Men very much gate-keep sports from women.” - Annemarie Farrell, professor at Ithaca College who studies women’s sports participation and viewership.That got me to thinking about Iowa State wbb. What has made it so successful? Bill is constantly mentioning the low attendance when he first came to campus. I know it took a lot of work, and time of course, but what made it stick? What got Iowa State fans excited about women's basketball?
    because they win a lot more? People will deny it but since the U.S. National Team isn't dominant is part of the reason soccer likely won't grow to be a major sport in the U.S.Fennelly started to get to the tournament and getting somewhat deep in the dance, which helped grow the fan base. Same as volleyball under CJL. Iowa State is starting to be somewhat of a force nationally, and now people talk about it. 5 years ago likely 2-3 people would have talked about Iowa State volleyball on here.Female professional sports aren't a hit because people think it's a poor version of men's professional sports. Guys are taller, stronger, faster. It holds some truth.

Fred's Fanatics- Member
    Fans of Fred Hoiberg and the 2013-2014 Iowa State Cyclones. Copy and Paste to Join.

Denver Broncos fan: 13-3 Super Bowl Losers :(
    Arsenal Fan: 4th place
    Iowa St: 28-8 Big 12 Tourney Champs!!!! Sweet 16

Addict
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 46

I've noticed that BF keeps a few really cute ones that don't play much. But at least you got some eye candy on the bench. Like that Flow (sp) chick a couple years ago.

Pro
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 283
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37
    Given: 14

ISU fans love MBB therefore ISU fans love WBB.
    ISU fans don't care about men's soccer therefore ISU fans don't care about women's soccer?

Addict
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 0

We gave Bill 9 years to rebuild.

Addict
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by JUKEBOX View Post
    We gave Bill 9 years to rebuild.
    How do you figure?

2-25 three years before his arrival. Winning record in year 1. NCAA Tournament in year 2 (and 13 times since).

Starter
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 794
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 23

I think ISU WBB is working because of the demographics of our fan base and winning.

It's the "alma mater" factor kicking in. I'd be willing to bet that the VAST majority of college WBB fans are direct alums or families of alums (of whatever school). What entices ISU fans to watch more than the others is that they play an exciting style and they win. People don't care about "highlight plays" to be entertained if they are alums. They like the winning, and they have an attachment to the school.

The problem with women's pro leagues in general, is that the general populace isn't SOOO attached to a team with their city on their jersey that they will go out of their way to attend/watch a women's game... no matter how good the team is. But when your school is represented on the jersey people (that went to or are fans of said school) pay more attention. There is a tighter bond between college fans and their school (especially alums) than pro fans and their team in general (i believe anyway).

I definitely follow ISU WBB and watch when they are on tv. I follow the VB team too. They are good, so I pay more attention. If these teams stunk, i wouldn't watch. It's not about a "more entertaining brand of basketball because men are bigger, faster, stronger" it's because these teams are good and have Iowa State on their jersey.

Last edited by Yellow Snow; 09-05-2013 at 06:06 PM.

All-Star
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 802
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 5

Soccer is growing in the US with the MSL. It's admittedly not the premier league, but is now attracting some good players with a salary structure designed to do that on a limited basis. Sporting KC is selling out every game. Albeit a 20,000 seat soccer-only stadium. Like ISU WBB, the games are fun to go to, players are very fan-friendly, and they are competitive. Even the ISU Alumni group in KC has an outing there every year.

Women's soccer in the US is actually pretty dominant. The soccer league this summer had Portland (with Alex Morgan) averaging over 12,000 a game. The team in KC was next at around 4,000 and they were playing on a high school football field. The KC team had six players on the National team that beat Mexico 7-0 in a "friendly" at RFK stadium Tuesday night.

Last edited by Royalclone; 09-05-2013 at 06:43 PM.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46

Quote Originally Posted by theshadow View Post
    How do you figure?

2-25 three years before his arrival. Winning record in year 1. NCAA Tournament in year 2 (and 13 times since).
    Missing jimlad. It was referencing football threads.

Addict
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 1,216
    Overall activity: 48.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 163
    Given: 120

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Snow View Post
    I think ISU WBB is working because of the demographics of our fan base and winning.

It's the "alma mater" factor kicking in. I'd be willing to bet that the VAST majority of college WBB fans are direct alums or families of alums (of whatever school). What entices ISU fans to watch more than the others is that they play an exciting style and they win. People don't care about "highlight plays" to be entertained if they are alums. They like the winning, and they have an attachment to the school.

The problem with women's pro leagues in general, is that the general populace isn't SOOO attached to a team with their city on their jersey that they will go out of their way to attend/watch a women's game... no matter how good the team is. But when your school is represented on the jersey people (that went to or are fans of said school) pay more attention. There is a tighter bond between college fans and their school (especially alums) than pro fans and their team in general (i believe anyway).

I definitely follow ISU WBB and watch when they are on tv. I follow the VB team too. They are good, so I pay more attention. If these teams stunk, i wouldn't watch. It's not about a "more entertaining brand of basketball because men are bigger, faster, stronger" it's because these teams are good and have Iowa State on their jersey.
    this x 100. i'd never watch a random women's basketball game by myself flipping through the channels but i'll always watch ISU because i have a direct attachment to it.

I am from MN but won't watch the Lynx unless they are in the tournament because there is no personal connection to them. Compare that to the Twins where I went to dozens of their games with my dad growing up. Because of that I feel a personal connection to the Twins that I don't with the Lynx even though the only direct relation to me in both cases is location.

Everything changes over time and eventually it will catch on. I think the key is getting young people there so they start to feel an emotional attachment to the team. We grow up wanting to be older yet spend the rest of our lives yearning for childhood, sports included.

"What Fred is doing isn't really working, it just appears that way. Don't ever forget, slow and steady wins the race." -HawkeyeNation.com

"Are we a football school or a basketball school?" "Volleyball I think".
    "That's not good".

Rookie
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 638
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by mtowncyclone13 View Post
    I think the key is getting young people there so they start to feel an emotional attachment to the team. We grow up wanting to be older yet spend the rest of our lives yearning for childhood, sports included.
    I personally think this has a lot to do with it. I can't say what it was like in the earlier days of ISU wbb because frankly I wasn't around, but I think the involvement to the program has helped Iowa State a lot. From the Little Cyclone Club to other events Bill and the girls are involved with, they just emphasize the whole "family" feeling. From their post-game comments to the special events they attend, they're sure to appreciate the fans and many fans feel like they're involved in a "tight-knit" group of some sort.

I agree that winning could play a part in the attendance success, but that being said, it doesn't tell the full story. It's obvious that the teams that win more usually have better attendance rates. It's not a given, but it definitely doesn't hurt the cause. There are also plenty of schools that put together impressive records but get no where near the numbers Iowa State achieves.

Another major factor, in my opinion, is they're much more than just good basketball players. Iowa State seems to get good people. In my time of following the team, there's been very few issues off the court. It makes a difference. It's easy to cheer on good people, and extremely hard to cheer against them. Luckily we've gotten to know the girls over the years and most couldn't be spoken of more highly.

One thing I also wonder about is what the change from 6-on-6 basketball at the high school level did across the board. I'm too young to know what it was like, but have spent some time studying it over the years. Those teams provided the highlight of the week, those games were the place to be and those girls were hometown heroes. Many schools, especially the smaller communities, drew impressive crowds every game. Sadly, the attendance figures for many high schools have dwindled significantly since those days. I just wonder what impact, if any, that had on drawing attention more to the college game.

Pro
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 170
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 31

My list:
    1. He brought in an exciting brand of basketball.
    2. He created relationships between the program and the community
    3. Created the Little Clone Club
    4. Emphasized student over athlete. No dumb jocks...smart, well spoken young women.
    5. Recruited in places no one else went. Put in the hours needed.
    6. Made extensive use of a defense (the zone) that allowed less athletic/quick women to excel
    7. Made adjustments to his coaching strategies as the game grew.

the list could go on, but I think the most critical factor was creating relationships with the community. Winning was the icing on the cake.

Legend
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 156
    Given: 273

Quote Originally Posted by ISUKyro View Post
    I've noticed that BF keeps a few really cute ones that don't play much. But at least you got some eye candy on the bench. Like that Flow (sp) chick a couple years ago.
    Florzak.

Legend
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 156
    Given: 273

"In psychological tests, fans showed no difference when watching men and women play basketball. “You’re not more excitable, you’re not more aroused” by watching men, Farrell said.
    I am 99% sure they screwed up this study. Probably did it in Portland and used a bunch of hipster soccer fans who don't know **** about real sports.