Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 2
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 12

I've seen a lot of talk on these boards about how year 5 was suppose to be a big year for ISU because that's the make it/break it year for many coaches. This isn't the case for CPR, that time will be year 7. That also gives 2 more years of recruiting and 2 more years of players using the facilities which will pay off more and more each year.
    In 2015 the roster will feature players from better recruiting classes in starting positions. Richardson will be a Senior and have his 3rd year as a starter. Nealy and Standard will be will also be Seniors and Mister could be in that mix if not moved to WR. The O-line will feature players like Campos, Curtis, Dangle, Lalk, Omoile, and Williams (some of these guys already pushing and getting playing time). The WR position will feature Bundrage, Daley, Ecby, Harris, Montgomery, West, and add Lazard (add a couple of other current recruits, plus 4 of those mentioned guys are at or over 6'3''!). That offense has the potential to take ISU to the next step alone. So, given not many coaching changes (but I could see Coach K take over as OC because the pistol is his thing) and if this group stays intact, the potential will be great.
    On the flip side the D will feature a great secondary. Rodgers, Richardson, Lynn, Cotton, Tribune will all be there and that's a deep secondary. The DL has some guys that could be solid starters like Aka, Cousin, and Meyers. The LBs will be lead by Knott, Meeks, Seeley, and White. And perhaps Netten will become our long awaited answer to the K position.
    In two years these underclassmen will be Juniors and Seniors and 3 full years in the new facility, lots of playing time under their belts, and 2 more years on top of this season for the coaches to do their thing with them. So, year 7 will be the big year for CPR and staff to show if they have what it takes to move ISU into the upper middle of the Big 12.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 302
    Given: 271

Re: 2015

This year wasn't about "taking the next step" this year was more about "not falling backwards into the chasm of the 1980s"

Speechless
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 316
    Given: 260

This year was about beating FCS instead of losing the third time to UNI.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Pro
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 901
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 16

Quote Originally Posted by Judoka View Post
    This year wasn't about "taking the next step" this year was more about "not falling backwards into the chasm of the 1980s"
    Agree, no one was expecting big things this year, just because it was year 5.

But yes, many (including me), thought the foundation of the program had been built solidly enough that getting *****-slapped by UNI at home was in our rear view mirror.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,326
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 5

HA, 7 freakin years for what? To win 7 games? Rhoads had people fired up after his first few years because of the mess that Chizik had for 3 and all the blowout losses. It wasn't all that hard to impress this fan base, few upset wins and a bowl game and everyone thought we had a savior. We have bought in yet Rhoads isn't giving the results that should be delivered with this type of fan support. I believe Rhoads is the right man for this job but its taking a little longer then I would like.

Sell outs, season tickets sold out, tons of fan support in off season events, etc. Yet he ask us to be patient. I have been patient and I will be patient. However, if it takes 7 years to get us to a mediocre 8 win season then thats pathetic. No other fan base in America would settle for that and thats why Iowa State will always be a losing program in football, we settle for mediocrity and even celebrate it. Sorry if I'm a debbie downer but I don't get that amped up about a 6-7 season. Bowl games are great and I try to tailor my expectations to reality but seriously, after 5-6 years of 6 win seasons the excitement will wear out and Jack Trice wont be packed every saturday like it is now, people will lose faith.

All-Star
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 269
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 195
    Given: 761

I may be wrong, but not many fan bases sell out season tickets after a couple 6 win seasons. I will always be a big fan, but to have those casual fans (that most likely arent "Fanatics"), you're going to have to beat the teams you are supposed to in year 5. They won't be around in year 7 if that doesn't happen.

Recruit
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 2
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by GoSTATE71 View Post
    HA, 7 freakin years for what? To win 7 games? Rhoads had people fired up after his first few years because of the mess that Chizik had for 3 and all the blowout losses. It wasn't all that hard to impress this fan base, few upset wins and a bowl game and everyone thought we had a savior. We have bought in yet Rhoads isn't giving the results that should be delivered with this type of fan support. I believe Rhoads is the right man for this job but its taking a little longer then I would like.

Sell outs, season tickets sold out, tons of fan support in off season events, etc. Yet he ask us to be patient. I have been patient and I will be patient. However, if it takes 7 years to get us to a mediocre 8 win season then thats pathetic. No other fan base in America would settle for that and thats why Iowa State will always be a losing program in football, we settle for mediocrity and even celebrate it. Sorry if I'm a debbie downer but I don't get that amped up about a 6-7 season. Bowl games are great and I try to tailor my expectations to reality but seriously, after 5-6 years of 6 win seasons the excitement will wear out and Jack Trice wont be packed every saturday like it is now, people will lose faith.
    If you're expecting ISU to become Texas, OU, and OSU then you best become a fan of one of those schools. ISU is a program that can reach 7 and 8 wins on a regular basis and maybe hit 9 or 10 a couple of times in a decade. ISU does not have the money to compete with those schools. As far as fan support goes, it hasn't reached Iowa support yet. Yes its growing and seeing new highs but ISU isn't a SEC school in terms of fan support. ISU was way off the map just a few years ago, and only now has returned to it. Its going to take more than 5 years to build something at ISU. Sorry, but it just is.

Chile Mac is Back!
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 327
    Given: 706

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    This year was about beating FCS instead of losing the third time to UNI.
    Unfortunately, it was the fourth time.

Addict
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 843
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 161
    Given: 152

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonin View Post
    I may be wrong, but not many fan bases sell out season tickets after a couple 6 win seasons. I will always be a big fan, but to have those casual fans (that most likely arent "Fanatics"), you're going to have to beat the teams you are supposed to in year 5. They won't be around in year 7 if that doesn't happen.
    But after year 7, they'll be back in year 8.

Addict
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 51

Quote Originally Posted by DBQR4CY View Post
    If you're expecting ISU to become Texas, OU, and OSU then you best become a fan of one of those schools. ISU is a program that can reach 7 and 8 wins on a regular basis and maybe hit 9 or 10 a couple of times in a decade. ISU does not have the money to compete with those schools. As far as fan support goes, it hasn't reached Iowa support yet. Yes its growing and seeing new highs but ISU isn't a SEC school in terms of fan support. ISU was way off the map just a few years ago, and only now has returned to it. Its going to take more than 5 years to build something at ISU. Sorry, but it just is.
    Why do posters like this have to swing the pendulum back so hard?

Who's asking or expecting to be UT or OU? NO ONE.

Yeah, I agree it's going to take more than five years. Like I stated in another thread the (vast) majority of optimistic posters predicted 6-7 wins, tops. Plenty of people predicted 5 wins.

I'll never understand how finding a loss to UNI unacceptable = unrealistic expectations. We don't have unrealistic expectations. We have expectations of beating UNI. Losses to UI and EVERY conference opponent are acceptable in a typical season. But wtf is going on in the program if in year five ISU can't beat UNI?

RIP Janice
    b. April 2012 d. April 2012
    9 posts
    May perpetual light shine upon him.

All-Star
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 622
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 10

Actually, next year should be that year.

Returning QB, 6 of 8 WRs in the 2 deep return, 2 of 3 returning TEs, 4 of 5 starting OL guys returning and I'd say Lictenberg could lose his spot to Dagel(soph.) by years end if he doesn't play better. RB is the only position that takes a hit losing 3 seniors but I think some would agree right now depth is hurting us there because we are trying to cater to all the guys.

On the defense, we return 9 of 10 on the DL. 6 of 7 return in the LB corps. 4 of 5 return in the CB spots. Safety takes a big hit losing 3 of 5 in the 2 deep.

This doesn't even included talented OL like Campos, Severs, and Homa coming off redshirts. Or Lazard and Montgomery, both 6'5" 4 star WRs. Or all the redshirt freshman that aren't in the 2 deeps this year.

Rookie
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 75
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 4

If offensive coaching continues as is, personnel is immaterial.

Pro
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 547
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 107
    Given: 117

The O-line will feature players like Campos, Curtis, Dangle, Lalk, Omoile, and Williams (some of these guys already pushing and getting playing time).
    This guy?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Season6_Dangle_0171_PRESS.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	2.25 MB 
ID:	21661

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 699
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 147
    Given: 28

I've seen a lot of talk on these boards about how year 5 was suppose to be a big year for ISU because that's the make it/break it year for many coaches. This isn't the case for CPR, that time will be year 7. That also gives 2 more years of recruiting and 2 more years of players using the facilities which will pay off more and more each year.
    In 2015 the roster will feature players from better recruiting classes in starting positions. Richardson will be a Senior and have his 3rd year as a starter. Nealy and Standard will be will also be Seniors and Mister could be in that mix if not moved to WR. The O-line will feature players like Campos, Curtis, Dangle, Lalk, Omoile, and Williams (some of these guys already pushing and getting playing time). The WR position will feature Bundrage, Daley, Ecby, Harris, Montgomery, West, and add Lazard (add a couple of other current recruits, plus 4 of those mentioned guys are at or over 6'3''!). That offense has the potential to take ISU to the next step alone. So, given not many coaching changes (but I could see Coach K take over as OC because the pistol is his thing) and if this group stays intact, the potential will be great.
    On the flip side the D will feature a great secondary. Rodgers, Richardson, Lynn, Cotton, Tribune will all be there and that's a deep secondary. The DL has some guys that could be solid starters like Aka, Cousin, and Meyers. The LBs will be lead by Knott, Meeks, Seeley, and White. And perhaps Netten will become our long awaited answer to the K position.
    In two years these underclassmen will be Juniors and Seniors and 3 full years in the new facility, lots of playing time under their belts, and 2 more years on top of this season for the coaches to do their thing with them. So, year 7 will be the big year for CPR and staff to show if they have what it takes to move ISU into the upper middle of the Big 12.
    Better recruiting classes by ISU standards, but these are still recruiting classes which were ranked 9th or 10th in the B12. I think we will be better the next two seasons, but it will still be a struggle to get out of the bottom third of the conference.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 316
    Given: 260

Quote Originally Posted by LindenCy View Post
    Unfortunately, it was the fourth time.
    That is terrible. Why are they on our schedule? The Domesters have been making a living off our fodder.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.