Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 89
  1. #1
    Addict
    Points: 124,402, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranRecommendation Second Class

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Bondurant
    Posts
    7,570
    Points
    124,402
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 113
    Given: 43

    Do you wish we could have Tom Herman back at OC?

    I see everyone continuously digging at Messingham, but IMO the offense was no better under Herman, actually may have been more predictable. I have learned over the past year that no matter who we put in at OC we need the right players to run the schemes that we do. I think we finally have the right players with SR at quarterback (rising star), the running backs we have, along with the TEs and WRs. A little bit of improvement and gelling with the offensive line over the next two weeks and I think we see a way better offense against Iowa. Even as bad as the defense played against UNI we again gave up less than 30 points, a Big 12 offense should be able to score that every game. So this again comes back to offense and Im sticking with Messingham at least until half way through the season. I mean lets be honest, TCU, Texas, OU may be the only teams we face with a better defense than UNI this season? Might be a stretch but not a huge one.



  2. #2
    Legend
    Points: 328,011, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 49.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    cyhiphopp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Johnston
    Posts
    14,593
    Points
    328,011
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 575
    Given: 1,179

    Re: Do you wish we could have Tom Herman back at OC?

    Herman didn't have the players we have now, specifically at QB. He might be a lot better now than he was during the big rebuilding years.



  3. #3
    All-Star
    Points: 56,876, Level: 73
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 174
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    CycloneGB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,881
    Points
    56,876
    Level
    73
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 18

    Re: Do you wish we could have Tom Herman back at OC?

    No. I want neither one..



  4. #4
    Legend
    Points: 135,594, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Judoka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Timbuktu
    Posts
    10,287
    Points
    135,594
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 302
    Given: 282

    Re: Do you wish we could have Tom Herman back at OC?

    No. He wasn't quite as bad as Messingham but we need an OC who believes in his players rather than his system.



  5. #5
    Addict
    Points: 192,538, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Bret44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Hampton, IA
    Posts
    8,256
    Points
    192,538
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,060
    Given: 613

    Re: Do you wish we could have Tom Herman back at OC?

    Quote Originally Posted by UNIGuy4Cy View Post
    I see everyone continuously digging at Messingham, but IMO the offense was no better under Herman, actually may have been more predictable. I have learned over the past year that no matter who we put in at OC we need the right players to run the schemes that we do. I think we finally have the right players with SR at quarterback (rising star), the running backs we have, along with the TEs and WRs. A little bit of improvement and gelling with the offensive line over the next two weeks and I think we see a way better offense against Iowa. Even as bad as the defense played against UNI we again gave up less than 30 points, a Big 12 offense should be able to score that every game. So this again comes back to offense and Im sticking with Messingham at least until half way through the season. I mean lets be honest, TCU, Texas, OU may be the only teams we face with a better defense than UNI this season? Might be a stretch but not a huge one.
    We never averaged over 25 points a game with Herman at the helm did we? I do not see how he would have helped.


    “They're very, very hard to guard,” Notre Dame head coach Mike Brey said. “They're really good. And with Niang in the middle kind of wheeling and all those guys spreading you out, they're kind of a nightmare matchup. And they're men. They're really men.”


  6. #6
    Addict
    Points: 124,402, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranRecommendation Second Class

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Bondurant
    Posts
    7,570
    Points
    124,402
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 113
    Given: 43

    Re: Do you wish we could have Tom Herman back at OC?

    Quote Originally Posted by Judoka View Post
    No. He wasn't quite as bad as Messingham but we need an OC who believes in his players rather than his system.
    Didnt Mess swallow his "system" when Coach K arrived?



  7. #7
    All-Star
    Points: 14,546, Level: 36
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 304
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    mramseyISU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Waterloo, IA
    Posts
    1,010
    Points
    14,546
    Level
    36
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 0

    Re: Do you wish we could have Tom Herman back at OC?

    I don't want Herman back. Anybody know what Steve Loney is doing these days?



  8. #8
    Speechless
    Points: 392,609, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    57,353
    Points
    392,609
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 342
    Given: 268

    Re: Do you wish we could have Tom Herman back at OC?

    Something needs to change. Ove the years, we have the worst offense in the B12.


    CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

  9. #9
    Legend
    Points: 275,888, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    VeloClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    Posts
    12,946
    Points
    275,888
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 493
    Given: 944

    Re: Do you wish we could have Tom Herman back at OC?

    No

    5char


    "There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

  10. #10
    Addict
    Points: 192,538, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Bret44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Hampton, IA
    Posts
    8,256
    Points
    192,538
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,060
    Given: 613

    Re: Do you wish we could have Tom Herman back at OC?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    Something needs to change. Ove the years, we have the worst offense in the B12.
    I don't think moving Ames, IA down south is an option is it?


    “They're very, very hard to guard,” Notre Dame head coach Mike Brey said. “They're really good. And with Niang in the middle kind of wheeling and all those guys spreading you out, they're kind of a nightmare matchup. And they're men. They're really men.”


  11. #11
    Pro
    Points: 61,306, Level: 76
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 344
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    PabloDiablo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    2,657
    Points
    61,306
    Level
    76
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 117
    Given: 126

    Re: Do you wish we could have Tom Herman back at OC?

    Geez, why didn't we just hire Scott Frost last season?



  12. #12
    Pro
    Points: 41,971, Level: 63
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 979
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    3,275
    Points
    41,971
    Level
    63
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 189
    Given: 78

    Re: Do you wish we could have Tom Herman back at OC?

    I would much rather have Herman as OC instead of Mess but I don't know if Herman was the long term solution. Herman never had the players Mess has. With the talent we have now I think Herman would have an offense in or near the top half of the conference. In saying that I still think either Coach K or Sturdy would be great for our offense. My only concern is that one is a run first guy and the other a pass first guy. We don't have an identity as an offense and when a change happens (I see play calling being given away as a guarantee by next year) I'll be interested to see which way Rhoads goes.



  13. #13
    Addict
    Points: 192,538, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Bret44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Hampton, IA
    Posts
    8,256
    Points
    192,538
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,060
    Given: 613

    Re: Do you wish we could have Tom Herman back at OC?

    Quote Originally Posted by Luth4Cy View Post
    I would much rather have Herman as OC instead of Mess but I don't know if Herman was the long term solution. Herman never had the players Mess has. With the talent we have now I think Herman would have an offense in or near the top half of the conference. In saying that I still think either Coach K or Sturdy would be great for our offense. My only concern is that one is a run first guy and the other a pass first guy. We don't have an identity as an offense and when a change happens (I see play calling being given away as a guarantee by next year) I'll be interested to see which way Rhoads goes.
    I do not care if the players are better today then they were with TH. There is no reason some of those teams only averaged 20 -21 points a game. He tried to force players in to the scheme, which never works. You modify the scheme until you get the players you need. Good coaches always adapt.


    “They're very, very hard to guard,” Notre Dame head coach Mike Brey said. “They're really good. And with Niang in the middle kind of wheeling and all those guys spreading you out, they're kind of a nightmare matchup. And they're men. They're really men.”


  14. #14
    Addict
    Points: 74,246, Level: 84
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 604
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Bigman38's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Council Bluffs, IA
    Posts
    5,018
    Points
    74,246
    Level
    84
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 176
    Given: 253

    Re: Do you wish we could have Tom Herman back at OC?

    If the only 2 options are Herman & Mess I'm picking Herman 100% of the time. But if we hired him back I'd be dissapointed.


    "But let’s see if the Cyclones can give everyone a nice big ****burger to eat. Opportunity awaits." -Brent Blum

    "I am the one who knocks" -Walter White

  15. #15
    Starter
    Points: 8,628, Level: 27
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    751
    Points
    8,628
    Level
    27
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 81

    Re: Do you wish we could have Tom Herman back at OC?

    I agree with Bigman. Mess is clearly downgrade over Herman at this point. Say what you want about Herman having better talent now at Ohio State, the fact that Meyer hired him says something.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM