Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29

Thread: Woe is me?

  1. #1
    Walk On
    Points: 2,935, Level: 15
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 115
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points3 months registered
    CostaDelMar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    155
    Points
    2,935
    Level
    15
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Woe is me?

    I'm confused as to why everyone is so bummed out?

    It seems like a lot of posters are acting like we were projected to be 10+ wins and BCS Bowl Champs... most pundits had us hovering around 3-6 wins. This is still a very real possibility. We are "still a year away," and I truthfully believe that. So we looked good in a scrimmage... Big whoop.

    People that sell out and act negative early on make it easy for themselves when things turn around. This is toxic behavior, and pretty weak if you ask me, especially for grown men.

    Sure there are changes that need to be made, and some are more longterm than others.

    In 2010, Virginia Tech lost to James Madison, and then went on to have an ACC Championship season that offered an Orange Bowl Bid. Things can turn around. If you're gonna jump ship now, then don't expect a place for you on the boat when we hit land.


    “I owe a lot to my parents, especially my mother and father” –Greg Norman

  2. #2
    Addict
    Points: 206,286, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 55.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Bret44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Hampton, IA
    Posts
    9,152
    Points
    206,286
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,213
    Given: 1,201

    Re: Woe is me?

    Quote Originally Posted by CostaDelMar View Post
    I'm confused as to why everyone is so bummed out?

    It seems like a lot of posters are acting like we were projected to be 10+ wins and BCS Bowl Champs... most pundits had us hovering around 3-6 wins. This is still a very real possibility. We are "still a year away," and I truthfully believe that. So we looked good in a scrimmage... Big whoop.

    People that sell out and act negative early on make it easy for themselves when things turn around. This is toxic behavior, and pretty weak if you ask me, especially for grown men.

    Sure there are changes that need to be made, and some are more longterm than others.

    In 2010, Virginia Tech lost to James Madison, and then went on to have an ACC Championship season that offered an Orange Bowl Bid. Things can turn around. If you're gonna jump ship now, then don't expect a place for you on the boat when we hit land.
    Because there isn't a game this weekend to get us to move on from this lose?


    “Urgency,” Rhoads said. “That’s exactly what I told our staff. It’s exactly what I told our players. Urgency in getting your job done. That’s in a 100 percent rate of speed at executing your responsibility — whether it’s a fit, whether it’s a tackle, whether it’s a route, whether it’s a cut-off block. Everybody needs a little bit more urgency in coaching and playing.”


  3. #3
    Speechless
    Points: 254,408, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    BryceC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    16,735
    Points
    254,408
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 170
    Given: 0

    Re: Woe is me?

    That was a terrible loss, a terrible effort, at a terrible time for the program. Fans have every right to be ****** off and concerned. That was a Chizik performance to a T.

    CW said the fans calling in to cyclone reaction sounded scared. That's generally my reaction at this time. I've see that movie before and it has rarely turned around for Iowa State.

    Not saying it isn't possible but it is absolutely unlikely. I bet we are only favored in one more game. I still have high expectations for 14 and 15.



  4. #4
    Addict
    Points: 135,661, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 53.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    CF Resident Dog Lover
    Posts
    5,123
    Points
    135,661
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 185
    Given: 143

    Re: Woe is me?

    because thats what fans do on a message board. doesnt matter if its ISU Alabama USC SDSU.



  5. #5
    Addict
    Points: 244,215, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registeredSocial
    klamath632's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    9,120
    Points
    244,215
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 583
    Given: 407

    Re: Woe is me?

    Quote Originally Posted by CostaDelMar View Post
    I'm confused as to why everyone is so bummed out?

    It seems like a lot of posters are acting like we were projected to be 10+ wins and BCS Bowl Champs... most pundits had us hovering around 3-6 wins. This is still a very real possibility. We are "still a year away," and I truthfully believe that. So we looked good in a scrimmage... Big whoop.

    People that sell out and act negative early on make it easy for themselves when things turn around. This is toxic behavior, and pretty weak if you ask me, especially for grown men.

    Sure there are changes that need to be made, and some are more longterm than others.

    In 2010, Virginia Tech lost to James Madison, and then went on to have an ACC Championship season that offered an Orange Bowl Bid. Things can turn around. If you're gonna jump ship now, then don't expect a place for you on the boat when we hit land.
    Terrible post. Just bad.

    First you throw out the strawman that people expected a ten win season with a BCS bowl victory, when the simple truth is the only expectation was not to lose to an FCS team.

    Then, your awful sailing metaphor... Here's a clue, guy-- if a boat hits land, people die. Nobody wants a place on a boat that runs aground.



  6. #6
    Pro
    Points: 25,503, Level: 48
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 47
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    southern iowa
    Posts
    2,660
    Points
    25,503
    Level
    48
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 62
    Given: 170

    Re: Woe is me?

    We are stressed about the loss because based on past history of ISU football, a loss to Northern Iowa means we are on our way to about 2 wins for the season.


    Go Cyclones!!

  7. #7
    Walk On
    Points: 2,935, Level: 15
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 115
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points3 months registered
    CostaDelMar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    155
    Points
    2,935
    Level
    15
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Woe is me?

    Quote Originally Posted by klamath632 View Post
    Terrible post. Just bad.

    First you throw out the strawman that people expected a ten win season with a BCS bowl victory, when the simple truth is the only expectation was not to lose to an FCS team.

    Then, your awful sailing metaphor... Here's a clue, guy-- if a boat hits land, people die. Nobody wants a place on a boat that runs aground.
    Maybe YOU didn't expect a 10 win season, but if you go look at the predictions for our season in the summer, there are plenty of individuals on this site expecting pie in the sky, koolaid-for-everyone Big 12 dominance.

    Losing to a FCS UNI hurts. However, it shouldn't be the say all, end all considering we have just installed a new offense, we are replacing a large % of our front 7, and our OLine anchor went down halfway in the first quarter. It sucks. But it's a long season, and anything can happen (good or bad).

    And usually when a boat *finds* land, thats a good thing. All about perspective, pal.


    “I owe a lot to my parents, especially my mother and father” –Greg Norman

  8. #8
    Addict
    Points: 188,703, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Rhoadhoused's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    8,798
    Points
    188,703
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 551
    Given: 280

    Re: Woe is me?

    Because getting to 6 wins was going to be tough enough beating UNI, and no ISU team should ever lose to UNI unless it is going to be a 2-3 win season.

    The odds on this season didn't just go from 6-7 wins to 5-6 wins. If we can't beat UNI, who can we beat?



  9. #9
    Walk On
    Points: 2,935, Level: 15
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 115
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points3 months registered
    CostaDelMar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    155
    Points
    2,935
    Level
    15
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Woe is me?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhoadhoused View Post
    Because getting to 6 wins was going to be tough enough beating UNI, and no ISU team should ever lose to UNI unless it is going to be a 2-3 win season.

    The odds on this season didn't just go from 6-7 wins to 5-6 wins. If we can't beat UNI, who can we beat?
    Fair Enough. If the woes continue, I think serious personnel issues should be addressed (Messingham). Win or lose next week, I have a feeling this team will hit its "best" stride late.


    “I owe a lot to my parents, especially my mother and father” –Greg Norman

  10. #10
    Pro
    Points: 77,675, Level: 86
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 675
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    TXCyclones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Heath, TX
    Posts
    3,143
    Points
    77,675
    Level
    86
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 199
    Given: 198

    Re: Woe is me?

    Expectations. Not expectations of a BCS bowl. Expectations that we wouldn't be going in full reverse this season. There is some fan-momentum behind the program and the disappointment you're witnessing is concern that a loss to a FCS team could rip away any momentum gained. Many here believe we could easily have only 5 wins this season. But a loss to an FCS team now puts even that low estimate in danger, and it could be a long woeful season.

    The program is at a tipping point. We have gained tepid fans who were at the margins. A season where we end up embarrassed, while we're rebuilding or not, could tip the program in the wrong direction including new commitments. The opposite of love isn't hate; it's apathy. And the last thing we need is a collective apathy.


    Remember, you're unique. Just like everyone else.

  11. #11
    Addict
    Points: 154,874, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    weR138's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    7,525
    Points
    154,874
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 112
    Given: 32

    Re: Woe is me?

    Quote Originally Posted by CostaDelMar View Post
    Maybe YOU didn't expect a 10 win season, but if you go look at the predictions for our season in the summer, there are plenty of individuals on this site expecting pie in the sky, koolaid-for-everyone Big 12 dominance.
    Prove it.

    The vast majority of optimistic posters said 6-7 wins tops.

    If you want to know why everyone is so down go to my thread about Messingham and read the stats about second half scoring for ISU with him as OC. It abysmal and scary. Win or lose on the 14th ISU has serious systemic problems on offense. That is the reason for the malaise.


    RIP Janice
    b. April 2012 d. April 2012
    9 posts
    May perpetual light shine upon him.

  12. #12
    Legend
    Points: 389,985, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    bos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    23,874
    Points
    389,985
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 602
    Given: 443

    Re: Woe is me?

    Quote Originally Posted by weR138 View Post
    Prove it.

    The vast majority of optimistic posters said 6-7 wins tops.

    If you want to know why everyone is so down go to my thread about Messingham and read the stats about second half scoring for ISU with him as OC. It abysmal and scary. Win or lose on the 14th ISU has serious systemic problems on offense. That is the reason for the malaise.

    Agreed. Different players have come through and the offense is yet to really perform. I have a hard time blaming talent. What scares me is that we have two 4 star WR's coming in next season and we could end up under utilizing them.



  13. #13
    Addict
    Points: 103,880, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Clonefan94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Schaumburg, IL
    Posts
    6,157
    Points
    103,880
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 190
    Given: 102

    Re: Woe is me?

    Quote Originally Posted by CostaDelMar View Post
    I'm confused as to why everyone is so bummed out?

    It seems like a lot of posters are acting like we were projected to be 10+ wins and BCS Bowl Champs... most pundits had us hovering around 3-6 wins. This is still a very real possibility. We are "still a year away," and I truthfully believe that. So we looked good in a scrimmage... Big whoop.

    People that sell out and act negative early on make it easy for themselves when things turn around. This is toxic behavior, and pretty weak if you ask me, especially for grown men.

    Sure there are changes that need to be made, and some are more longterm than others.

    In 2010, Virginia Tech lost to James Madison, and then went on to have an ACC Championship season that offered an Orange Bowl Bid. Things can turn around. If you're gonna jump ship now, then don't expect a place for you on the boat when we hit land.
    Never expected a ten win season, never expected BCS Bowl, Never expected to lose to UNI.

    We should be beyond losing to UNI now. It doesn't mean I expect to win the Big 12 or get to a BCS Bowl, it only means that I expected a team, in it's fifth year under a coach, to go out and perform well enough to beat a team that should never be your equal, let alone beat you.

    I don't understand why this always becomes a "bash on the fans" whenever this team loses and people are ******. IF there is one thing I can say about ISU football, it's that the fans have bent over backwards to support this team. If there is one thing good about ISU football, it's the fans. We have the right to ***** and moan when things don't go our way, imo.

    Agree, some are out of control with the whole firing thing, but that's a fringe few. Let us have our moment.



  14. #14
    Addict
    Points: 154,874, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    weR138's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    7,525
    Points
    154,874
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 112
    Given: 32

    Re: Woe is me?

    Quote Originally Posted by bos View Post
    Agreed. Different players have come through and the offense is yet to really perform. I have a hard time blaming talent. What scares me is that we have two 4 star WR's coming in next season and we could end up under utilizing them.
    ****, they haven't signed LOIs yet...


    RIP Janice
    b. April 2012 d. April 2012
    9 posts
    May perpetual light shine upon him.

  15. #15
    Addict
    Points: 188,703, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Rhoadhoused's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    8,798
    Points
    188,703
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 551
    Given: 280

    Re: Woe is me?

    Quote Originally Posted by weR138 View Post
    ****, they haven't signed LOIs yet...
    Well, one is already enrolled.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: FS1
  • Iowa State vs. Oklahoma
  • November 1, 2014
  • 11:00 AM