Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 242
    Given: 194

The Bad and the Good from last nights game

There is no doubt that there was a lot more bad last night than there was good. It was a very depressing first game. Here is what I thought was bad versus some good from last night.

BAD

• Jevohn Miller & Jeremiah George - Our two most experienced linebackers played like it was their very first college game last night. In 3 series, Miller made zero tackles and UNI scored all 3 possessions. His angles were bad, he didn't get off blocks, and he forgot to cover David Johnson (the best player on the field) out of the flats. George got physically dominated at times (watch the replay of when Broomfield caused the fumble) and took really bad angles. It's amazing that a senior LB can only make 2 tackles all game
    • Kick return blocking - Wimberly ended up having a nice return but other than that we opened no holes for Bundrage to run through.
    • Physically dominated - We've heard all offseason about how the team is bigger and faster. The new football facility allowed our guys to train at the highest of levels. Well than why were our guys getting blown off the ball? UNI was blocking some of our guys 5 yards back. I was shocked to see some of our guys just get lit up
    • Offensive line play - It started out ok but as soon as Farniok went out the line play got bad in a hurry. What was most concerning was that we wore down at the end of the game and not the other way around.
    • Offensive substitutions - This one is the real head scratcher to me. Justin Coleman catches a 59 yard TD and, unless I missed him, didn't see the field on our next couple offensive possessions. We rotate way to many skill position players in and we look completely disorganized while doing it. How many times did a player run onto the field only to be told to turn around and run back off? They looked completely unprepared at times and that is discouraging. Find your top 2 RB's, your top 4 WR's and top 2 TE's and play them. Let them get in a rhythm together.
    • Get the ball to your playmakers - We heard during the offseason that we had to find ways to get Bundrage the ball. 3 catches for 30 yards isn't enough. Sam missed him on one and he dropped a TD on another but still need to find a way to get him the ball at least 7 times a game. You could see on the screen pass that he has talent with the ball in his hands that we haven't had. Wimberly needs to get the ball more as well.
    • Poor TE play - 4 catches for 10 yards. Not good
    • Bad tackling - One thing that most Paul Rhoads teams do is tackle. UNI had two long TD's yesterday on plays where our guys simply didn't rap up.
    • Sam Richardson - Got picked on a bit which is to be expected when you are replacing a starter, but you have to rap up. I was very surprised that the staff didn't put in another DB to see if they would play a little better.
    • Play to your strengths - Giving the ball to Jeff Woody on an off tackle run on the short side of the field isn't playing to your strengths. He's a between the tackles runner and great blocker. On that play Bundrage had 1 on 1 coverage with a guy much smaller who had been physically dominating. Throw it up to him.

GOOD
    • Sam Richardson - Sure, he held onto the ball to long at times in the 2nd half and he can't keep running so much. Other than that I thought he played really well. He made some good reads and accurate throws. If this line can give him some time I think he could lead Iowa State to a lot of good wins the next 3 years.
    • Aaron Wimberly - This guy has an extra gear that we haven't had. We absolutely have to find a way to get him the ball 12+ times a game. Also, the guy HAS to be the one returning kicks. If the staff feels he's the guy we need returning when we are down 8 in the 4th quarter, than there is no reason he's not always our returner. Play your best player.
    • Justin Coleman - Over 100 yards receiving with as little of snaps as he saw is very impressive. One of the only WR's who really was able to get open all game.
    • WR Blocking - Very impressive blocking by some of our WR's downfield. Bundrage was owning the DB from UNI and blocking him 15 yards down field. Hopefully that continues.
    • Safety play - I thought Washington and Broomfield played well. We never really forced UNI to throw over us so we didn't see them on pass coverage much but they were the few guys on our defense that were tackling with force
    • Charles Rodgers - Was physical against the run. He has a lot of room for improvement but he is a guy Iowa State fans can be excited about. He will be fun to watch.
    • Knott & Brackens - It's a little depressing that our best LB's yesterday were undersized, ex safeties, that had never played a D1 snap at LB. But they did good. Brackens has speed out there and is physical enough. Knott looked like he had a great understanding on where he was suppose to be. He will do well against the spread offenses we see in the Big 12.

I'm sure there are a lot of things both good and bad that I missed out on. The loss stings quite a bit but I really hope the fans continue to come to JTS and have the atmosphere like we did yesterday.

twitter.com/adamjgray17

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 1,199
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 550
    Given: 257

Re: The Bad and the Good from last nights game

Really agree about offensive substitutions. I like using depth, but you can't do it in a way that slows down the tempo, and you really can't do it in a way that gives away the play. For example, when we have two running backs off set obviously Woody will be the lead blocker.

Pro
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 814
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 740
    Given: 18

Agreed with those points. The disorganization was disappointing.

That play where you bring the guy in motion on a jet sweep was a botched play a couple of times.

With this young team, it's good that the big 12 is down. I still think 5 or 6 wins is doable. With this year being possibly the best recruiting class we've brought in, it's absolutely imperative to have a successful year and not a 2-3 win year.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,023
    Given: 206

Quote Originally Posted by AdamJGray View Post

• Physically dominated - We've heard all offseason about how the team is bigger and faster. The new football facility allowed our guys to train at the highest of levels. Well than why were our guys getting blown off the ball? UNI was blocking some of our guys 5 yards back. I was shocked to see some of our guys just get lit up

Speaking of which, ISU is 0-3 since opening that facility.

Legend
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,178
    Given: 614

Didn't mention our band getting blown out in the bad section, but I'll let it go.

Category 4 Boat Shoes Campus Rep
    PM for Discounts / Promo Codes

Talk to BU4ISU for Category 5

All-Star
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 242
    Given: 194

Quote Originally Posted by ISUCubswin View Post
    Didn't mention our band getting blown out in the bad section, but I'll let it go.
    I knew I forgot a couple things......

twitter.com/adamjgray17

Addict
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 389
    Given: 127

Quote Originally Posted by AdamJGray View Post
    • Offensive substitutions - This one is the real head scratcher to me. Justin Coleman catches a 59 yard TD and, unless I missed him, didn't see the field on our next couple offensive possessions. We rotate way to many skill position players in and we look completely disorganized while doing it. How many times did a player run onto the field only to be told to turn around and run back off? They looked completely unprepared at times and that is discouraging. Find your top 2 RB's, your top 4 WR's and top 2 TE's and play them. Let them get in a rhythm together.

This seemed like this was a problem last year with the running backs.

All-Star
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 206
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 248
    Given: 11

The Good: Delusional aspirations of a breakout season were smashed early.
    The Bad: Pretty much everything else.

All-Star
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 285
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 294
    Given: 77

Quote Originally Posted by ISUCubswin View Post
    what?

Addict
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,335
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 367
    Given: 178

The Kool-Aid has run dry.

Keepers of the Faith -- htiaF eht fo srepeeK

Keepers of the Faith is an alliance for those who are excited, enthusiastic, and optimistic about the direction of our men's basketball program. We reject the notion that one bad loss can derail the incredible progress of the past three years. To join, put this in your signature.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 89
    Given: 103

On the o-line play, extremely disappointed in Lichtenburg. One series in the 3rd he got owned every play on a 3 and out. Gave up a sack on 3rd down were SR got lit up. Then stood over him and didnt help him up. It was strange.

Also didnt see Brun play any after he came of the field holding his arm I believe after a kickoff or kick return play.

All-Star
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 446
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 80

Couple things stuck out for me.

Sam was good enough but instill don't think the QB should carry the ball more than about 5-10 time per game. We have. Plethora of talented RBs why the hell would you put you most important player at risk!!

TE- these guys were talked up all summer and fall where were they or why didn't we get them the damn ball.

The offensive line was supposed to make strides, I think they may have been a bit better but I still wonder how UNI can be that much better than us.

i don't remember a game where ISU had that many missed tackles, some of that was youth some just mental I think.

it seemed like the coaches were a bit stubborn. J Miller looked lost, how was he on the field ahead of Luke Knott? Also why didn't Wimberly return kicks all night? Maybe he just got better blocking but he just seemed way more explosive than Bundrage.

“It’s beyond pride. It’s a restored trust. There’s a confidence again, a passion that teeters on swagger. More than anything, (Iowa State head coach Paul Rhoads) has restored the Iowa State “it” factor, the steadfast belief that it is great to be a Cyclone...the man’s enthusiasm is genuine to the core...”
    – columnist Sean Keeler, Des Moines Register

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 89
    Given: 103

Why miller was offered a scholly and Johnson was not will always be a mystery to me.. You could tell this week that the coaches new the f'd up on DJ. Making excuses all week. We really looked at him hard, etc.

Starter
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 485
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 14

Quote Originally Posted by CykoAGR View Post
    Couple things stuck out for me.

Sam was good enough but instill don't think the QB should carry the ball more than about 5-10 time per game. We have. Plethora of talented RBs why the hell would you put you most important player at risk!!

TE- these guys were talked up all summer and fall where were they or why didn't we get them the damn ball.

The offensive line was supposed to make strides, I think they may have been a bit better but I still wonder how UNI can be that much better than us.

i don't remember a game where ISU had that many missed tackles, some of that was youth some just mental I think.

it seemed like the coaches were a bit stubborn. J Miller looked lost, how was he on the field ahead of Luke Knott? Also why didn't Wimberly return kicks all night? Maybe he just got better blocking but he just seemed way more explosive than Bundrage.

I agree. In regards to Miller I wonder if its a case of somebody just not being able put it all together when the lights are on. He has obviously performed in practice because if he hadn't, Wally wouldn't be dumb enough to play him.

Commitment To Excellence

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 466
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 50
    Given: 4

Quote Originally Posted by cyhawkdmb View Post
    On the o-line play, extremely disappointed in Lichtenburg. One series in the 3rd he got owned every play on a 3 and out. Gave up a sack on 3rd down were SR got lit up. Then stood over him and didnt help him up. It was strange.

Also didnt see Brun play any after he came of the field holding his arm I believe after a kickoff or kick return play.
    This, I don't know what is going on, i really have a hard time believing no one can beat him out, but if lighten burg is the best we can do on the o line, wow, we got major issues.