Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 120
  1. #1
    All-Star
    Points: 23,046, Level: 46
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 504
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Thomasrickj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    1,344
    Points
    23,046
    Level
    46
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 245
    Given: 30

    Paul Rhoads and Recruiting

    I made a post a few months ago about Rhoads and a bunch of you thought I was a troll, but yesterday is a perfect example. Rhoads doesn't recruit nearly well enough for us to be able to be a decent team. I know the team is very young, but under NO circumstance should we be getting beat up by 1-AA players. Our guys are weak, slow, can't tackle, and a hundred other things I could say. Sorry, but this whole recruiting "projects" thing is going to kill us this season. Even though stars and rankings don't mean everything, signing 2-star guys that can't tackle makes us look foolish now. Getting Lazard is great (if he decides to stick around after our nightmare season), but it won't do any good with a weak offensive line that can't protect Richardson. Messingham is also terrible.

    I want to be optimistic, but I can't be after last nights game. It's time for us to get a better recruiter. Whether that requires an assistant or a new head coach, whatever it will take. Heck, schools like Illinois and Indiana can out recruit us. We are in a big conference. It's not hard to sign more physical players that won't get embarrassed by UNI.

    I hope I'm proven wrong this season, but it's hard to be optimistic when UNI isn't even a top 10 team in 1-AA.

    Go Cyclones, and please prove me wrong and turn the season around.



  2. #2
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 54,440, Level: 72
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 1,110
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    4,094
    Points
    54,440
    Level
    72
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 556
    Given: 257

    Re: Paul Rhoads and Recruiting

    Quote Originally Posted by Thomasrickj View Post
    I made a post a few months ago about Rhoads and a bunch of you thought I was a troll, but yesterday is a perfect example. Rhoads doesn't recruit nearly well enough for us to be able to be a decent team. I know the team is very young, but under NO circumstance should we be getting beat up by 1-AA players. Our guys are weak, slow, can't tackle, and a hundred other things I could say. Sorry, but this whole recruiting "projects" thing is going to kill us this season. Even though stars and rankings don't mean everything, signing 2-star guys that can't tackle makes us look foolish now. Getting Lazard is great (if he decides to stick around after our nightmare season), but it won't do any good with a weak offensive line that can't protect Richardson. Messingham is also terrible.

    I want to be optimistic, but I can't be after last nights game. It's time for us to get a better recruiter. Whether that requires an assistant or a new head coach, whatever it will take. Heck, schools like Illinois and Indiana can out recruit us. We are in a big conference. It's not hard to sign more physical players that won't get embarrassed by UNI.

    I hope I'm proven wrong this season, but it's hard to be optimistic when UNI isn't even a top 10 team in 1-AA.

    Go Cyclones, and please prove me wrong and turn the season around.
    For starters just because UNI isn't currently ranked in the top 10 doesn't mean they won't be. That was a heck of a football team.

    As for recruiting I still believe this is our most athletic team, I don't think we saw that last night. I know everybody wants a better recruiter, but I frankly think the best course for Iowa State is to bring in players who have potential but are overlooked.

    Two years ago against UNI our guys were surprisingly weaker and slower. That same team beat Oklahoma State. Have a little bit of faith.



  3. #3
    Rookie
    Points: 12,632, Level: 33
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 18
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    RollsRoyce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Cedar Falls
    Posts
    567
    Points
    12,632
    Level
    33
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

    Re: Paul Rhoads and Recruiting

    Spot on my man. One thing that blows my mind about this site is whenever you post or start a thread that is negative towards the cyclone in any way, people blow it out of proportion and accuse you of being a troll. Then when this happens which it does all the time in every sport, it's all of the sudden okay to post 100 threads bashing players, students, coaching, recruiting, the entire university. It's gonna be a long year for football and it will continue to be after that until we start recruiting on talent and not potential.



  4. #4
    Speechless
    Points: 402,676, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 94.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    59,549
    Points
    402,676
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 646
    Given: 404

    Re: Paul Rhoads and Recruiting

    We looked slow, lost, standing around, hoping the offense could do its thing. On offense, we did not make much for holes, we started to have SR run outside like Steele, and or running backs could not break free. Other than that, the penalties, refs, and turnovers were fine.


    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

  5. #5
    All-Star
    Points: 23,046, Level: 46
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 504
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Thomasrickj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    1,344
    Points
    23,046
    Level
    46
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 245
    Given: 30

    Re: Paul Rhoads and Recruiting

    Quote Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
    Spot on my man. One thing that blows my mind about this site is whenever you post or start a thread that is negative towards the cyclone in any way, people blow it out of proportion and accuse you of being a troll. Then when this happens which it does all the time in every sport, it's all of the sudden okay to post 100 threads bashing players, students, coaching, recruiting, the entire university. It's gonna be a long year for football and it will continue to be after that until we start recruiting on talent and not potential.
    Thank you for agreeing! Two months ago I remember at least ten people calling me a troll when I bad mouthed his recruiting.



  6. #6
    Pro
    Points: 49,853, Level: 69
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,297
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    im4cyclones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    2,890
    Points
    49,853
    Level
    69
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 423
    Given: 371

    Re: Paul Rhoads and Recruiting

    All of these recruiting threads are the same. Stupid.

    Guess what. The staff is bringing in the best they can. They are trying to identify guys who (1) have the atheticism to help team and (2) are willing to come to ISU. If he could get a class of 3 and 4 star players, I am sure he would. We have the most florida kids in our last class for any team outside of florida.

    It isnt like recruiting in dynasty mode on xbox.



  7. #7
    Starter
    Points: 17,732, Level: 40
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 318
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience PointsSocialCreated Album pictures
    howellc33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Britt, IA
    Posts
    649
    Points
    17,732
    Level
    40
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 55
    Given: 66

    Re: Paul Rhoads and Recruiting

    Our recruiting has gotten better. Go on cyclones.com and check out the last few classes, cuz they're all on there! Other than Lazard, Jauan Wesley has committed, Tommy Mister has committed and we've got D'Vario Montgomery coming in. If you're a rivals "stargazer" those four right there should get you salivating. Rhoads also got Jake Campos to switch his commitment from Mizzou last year and he was a highly touted o lineman. Recruiting isn't everything-it's how you coach up and develope those players.



  8. #8
    Addict
    Points: 165,445, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Stewo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    7,090
    Points
    165,445
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 299
    Given: 82

    Re: Paul Rhoads and Recruiting

    Solid post OP. The players looked like crap and the coaching was just as bad. Not what I expect out of a 5th year coach.



  9. #9
    Rookie
    Points: 12,632, Level: 33
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 18
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    RollsRoyce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Cedar Falls
    Posts
    567
    Points
    12,632
    Level
    33
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

    Re: Paul Rhoads and Recruiting

    Quote Originally Posted by Thomasrickj View Post
    Thank you for agreeing! Two months ago I remember at least ten people calling me a troll when I bad mouthed his recruiting.
    Ya it's nothing new around here ya just got to ignore it. It's annoying cause you can see it coming and forewarn people that don't. Then this happens lol. Alot of season to play left we can turn it around.



  10. #10
    Legend
    Points: 222,958, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 61.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Rabbuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    14,778
    Points
    222,958
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,159
    Given: 64

    Re: Paul Rhoads and Recruiting

    Quote Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
    Ya it's nothing new around here ya just got to ignore it. It's annoying cause you can see it coming and forewarn people that don't. Then this happens lol. Alot of season to play left we can turn it around.
    paul rhoads knows better brah. That unranked undersize kid from Magic City, Idaho is gonna be the next jake knott.



  11. #11
    Starter
    Points: 14,721, Level: 36
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 129
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    694
    Points
    14,721
    Level
    36
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 62

    Re: Paul Rhoads and Recruiting

    Exactly. If you state that signing a 2 star recruit without a Rivals page should be a cause for concern, you're a troll. From reading recruiting threads, I've learned that stars don't matter at ISU and can sometimes even be a detriment.

    However, the good news is that recruiting is slowly getting better with the likes of Lazard and others.



  12. #12
    Pro
    Points: 49,853, Level: 69
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,297
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    im4cyclones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    2,890
    Points
    49,853
    Level
    69
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 423
    Given: 371

    Re: Paul Rhoads and Recruiting

    Stupid.



  13. #13
    Starter
    Points: 11,166, Level: 31
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 84
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    ArgentCy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    617
    Points
    11,166
    Level
    31
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 71
    Given: 40

    Re: Paul Rhoads and Recruiting

    These recruiting threads are stupid because of what we saw last night. How many stars did the UNI guys have? Thats what I thought.



  14. #14
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 50,342, Level: 69
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 808
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,077
    Points
    50,342
    Level
    69
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 104
    Given: 13

    Re: Paul Rhoads and Recruiting

    Quote Originally Posted by Luth4Cy View Post
    For starters just because UNI isn't currently ranked in the top 10 doesn't mean they won't be. That was a heck of a football team.

    As for recruiting I still believe this is our most athletic team, I don't think we saw that last night. I know everybody wants a better recruiter, but I frankly think the best course for Iowa State is to bring in players who have potential but are overlooked.

    Two years ago against UNI our guys were surprisingly weaker and slower. That same team beat Oklahoma State. Have a little bit of faith.
    Part of the problem is we've overlooked players who are right under our nose that UNI builds into good teams. If you go back 4 years you could find posts by several of us wondering why on earth we weren't offering David Johnson a scholarship. Here was a 6-3 190 lb gazelle that could have been a Big 10 or Big 12 running back, receiver or safety, and maybe all conference at any of the 3 positions. Iowa blew it too as they wanted him to walk on as we did. I know UNI was solid all over the field but who do you think wins that game last night if #7 was wearing red instead of purple? Very frustrating.



  15. #15
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 82,800, Level: 89
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 950
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    CycloneWanderer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    4,190
    Points
    82,800
    Level
    89
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 67
    Given: 11

    Re: Paul Rhoads and Recruiting

    Looked like we had a lot of youth at there last night on defense. They got quicker as the game went on. The offense, well, that is an area where recruiting is picking it up a bit.




    ***King of Diplomacy***

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: FS1
  • Iowa State vs. Oklahoma
  • November 1, 2014
  • 11:00 AM